• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

gspat

Nope, no kickstand. Not much point when the default controllers are fixed in place (you could get a wireless controller, but that's not very likely).
The video clearly describes that you are able to connect more joycons to it wirelessly to play with friends. It seems kinda pointless unless you use the tabletop mode. I don't recall the covers having a stand on them either.

Last edited:
I got my Switch at launch, its getting alot of use right now between Mario Maker 2 and Catan, makes sense to get one of these so my fiance and I can play Splatoon together and if she wants to play Catan while I'm playing something else so be it. I like the Aqua one, likely pick up one of those.

TLZ

Banned
It's hilarious that you managed to write all that out and not once mentioned that one version is 100 bucks cheaper than the other. :)

Like as if the sales person wouldn't just say "this one is 300 bucks and can connect to your TV via the dock and this one is 200 bucks and doesn't do that".
Then the parent decides if they want to pay the extra 100 bucks for TV connectivity or not.

Like you have to deliberately ignore the different pricing to make your point. A point that is completely undone by the fact that there is different pricing.

Parent: I'd like to buy an Xbox.
X: Well do you want an Xbox One X or an Xbox One S?
Parent: What's the difference?
X: Well the One X has better performance.
Parent: So what's the point of getting the regular Xbox One S then? Why restrict yourself to lower performance?
X: Durrr, I dunno. I guess some people don't want to have the best performance possible.
Parent: Well I should just buy the One X then. They are the same price, right?
X: Ah... well... not exactly.

I'm imagining a game shop where the prices of everything are hidden from view so the customer just thinks "Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite, the cost is the same so probably get the one with more features... though it's kind of suspicious that it costs the same money for more features"

Instead of what normally happens where there are posters all over the shop giving different prices for different bundles etc.

X: So, you see, you can buy the one that connects to your TV for 300 bucks or the one that doesn't for 200 bucks.
TLZ: Bu-but they called it Switch and it doesn't Switch. Ahahahahaha. They got the name wrong! *munches handful of crayons* It's called Switch but it doesn't Switch! The name is wrong!
Totally forgot about the price actually. I was too focused on a convo that involved the functionality.

And I don't eat crayons. I eat Cheetos. Xtra hot.

:messenger_relieved:

I am buying a Nintendo Switch Lite. Just don’t know which color yet. Yellow is nice. I wish the Pokémon one was available sooner, but I know it has to coincide with the games coming out. I kinda wish there were more colors. I am almost wanting to get the gray just so I can get a skin for it.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

In my opinion these two are the best colors.The others are just ugly.
Any word if these versions are going to have a NA release?
axoSKQB.png

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Game UK has these up for preorder at £199.99

Is that a placeholder price?
Seems a little too high when Switch costs £309.99 with £30 Nintendo eshop credit plus Mario Maker 2.

Codes 208

axoSKQB.png
Those are just a fan-made mock up.

The only colors theyre currently making are the three shown and that pokemon SE

DESTROYA

Those are just a fan-made mock up.

The only colors theyre currently making are the three shown and that pokemon SE
That’s too bad because they look amazing.
Only other color I would get is the grey/dark color the other ones I wouldn’t be caught dead with.

Codes 208

That’s too bad because they look amazing.
Only other color I would get is the grey/dark color the other ones I wouldn’t be caught dead with.
Im probably going to go for the the turquoise (for now) and mod it later like i did with my joycons.
r6FO8hB.jpg

(And to the inevitable “but why buy this if you already have a switch?” I knew this was coming sooner or later and promised my parents Id give them my standard switch because this is exactly what i wanted: a handheld-focused switch)

Another video showing this console where nobody would ever use them. Yeah let's go to the park with friends and isolate ourselves with the console.

Show the fucking reality nintendo. People shitting and eating pizza on bed while playing.

Um, I go to the park with my kids, anime conventions, family gatherings and other public places or social outings (including bars and restaurants) with the intent to have a good time and still have my Switch on hand and will play it. May not seem realistic to you but it does happen

Mozza

I am buying a Nintendo Switch Lite. Just don’t know which color yet. Yellow is nice. I wish the Pokémon one was available sooner, but I know it has to coincide with the games coming out. I kinda wish there were more colors. I am almost wanting to get the gray just so I can get a skin for it.

I quite like the blue one though.and it looks like there was a lot more to that photo leak than we first thought.

Some comments on UK Forums is that £200 is too expensive and that it should be £149 at most for people.

Not sure if that bodes well as Nintendo may have to lower the price if it doesn't sell well over here.

I'm actually thinking about switching to a Lite. I love my Vita, and the Switch is too big for a handheld IMO. I really like the turquoise one; just happens to be a similar color to my Vita.

Oh good more wifi players
I'm not sure if you can complain abut that when the Switch doesn't have ethernet capabilities without buying a dongle which most people aren't going to buy. Similar to people complaining about miniscule lag in wireless mice even though they are never going to be competitive enough to benefit from it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm actually thinking about switching to a Lite. I love my Vita, and the Switch is too big for a handheld IMO. I really like the turquoise one; just happens to be a similar color to my Vita.
But I would say action games like Bayonetta and Astral chain are much better with pro controller more trying playing them on handheld mode.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
hmmm, for 100 bucks cheaper and to play only a few games i'm interested in...I might give it a go for $199.0 I had planned on buying a Switch anyways just to have a system to travel with. Still with the TV option omitted, feel like I'm paying for less of a system.

For those who play undocked primarily. what's your opinion on the quality of the gameplay, batterylife...etc. I've never owned a handheld system.

Birdo

Banned
Some comments on UK Forums is that £200 is too expensive and that it should be £149 at most for people.

Not sure if that bodes well as Nintendo may have to lower the price if it doesn't sell well over here.

It's £80 cheaper than the regular Switch.

If anything, the OG Switch is going to be dead when the Lite releases (We always buy cheapest in the UK).

If anything, the OG Switch is going to be dead when the Lite releases (We always buy cheapest in the UK).

I usually see them at £230 now without a game or if they are £280 they include two games.

Shame if they kill it though. :(

Panda1

Banned
Well, yeah, I'm just as dissatisfied as you guys. This is the obvious problem with the Lite and Nintendo knew this would be an issue. Look at all these posts in the short time since the news dropped. Meh, I guess Nintendo's gonna Nintendo. Hopefully no one actually fanboys it up and defends (understanding is fine though) the decision to remove the title feature of the Nintendo "Switch" Lite.

So can actually buy an OG Switch that still can Switch! No one is taking that away from you.
This is another option that is only cheaper because it has to lose some functionality. If it could switch why the fuck would they still sell the OG one>?

TLZ

Banned
So can actually buy an OG Switch that still can Switch! No one is taking that away from you.
This is another option that is only cheaper because it has to lose some functionality. If it could switch why the fuck would they still sell the OG one>?
Fgs it's smaller, non-detachable controllers without rumble and IR, has a dpad and doesn't come with a dock. The OG is bigger, has detachable controllers with rumble and IR and comes with a dock. These are obvious enough differences for a good $100 price reduction, and I'd argue even $150.

Why are Fanboys so intentionally thick? Like wtf do you gain?

Edit: oh and don't forget the Lite's internals are cheaper too, so Nintendo save money making them compared to the OG.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Are the people over at the UK blind and stupid? Once somebody plays the AA games portable they'll ask for a return.

Cynn

Im probably going to go for the the turquoise (for now) and mod it later like i did with my joycons.
r6FO8hB.jpg

(And to the inevitable “but why buy this if you already have a switch?” I knew this was coming sooner or later and promised my parents Id give them my standard switch because this is exactly what i wanted: a handheld-focused switch)
Why didn’t you go the extra mile and put the D-pad mod in?

JimiNutz

Banned

£200 is too much in my opinion unless it's going to be bundled with games.

Unfortunately I still think it's going to sell well at that price but I think £200 is overpriced in comparison to a regular Switch which is now bundled with games for £280.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Some comments? Lol? Just say everyone, are there any people in the whole world who will say they'd prefer to pay more, not less? These days you pay 50, 60 or more MSRP for just a controller, how's it viable for a current system to cost 150?

Might as well say it should be free, then I'd totally get one, do it Nintendo! Switch already sells well at 300, there's pretty much nothing to base a quite a bit cheaper Switch not selling well (unless people really want the TV connectivity and pay more for it, we'll see).

Edit: just realised this is about the specific country. Yeah it always sucks when you pay more USD for the same product but it happens with pretty much every product, we get 1 USD = 1 EUR for most things here too, it is what it is, sadly.

Maybe in the UK they could go down to ~180 to still offer 100 difference from the other Switch model which is 280 there rather than the 320 it is here (Lite looks like a 220 too, wish it was 200 here too, though some stores do that for the main and will again for Lite). 150 still seems far fetched.

Last edited:
I'll probably trade my old Switch in for this one. Never docked my Switch once, and I don't like the idea of needlessly charging my "useless" detachable joycons.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That’s why you’re paying less of a price. :pie_thinking:
Yea i know...i just feel like i could better in other ways, but not one of its defining features. Funny enoughm I'd probably be ok with this if they didn't attach the switch name to it, even if they said it plays switch games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yea i know...i just feel like i could better in other ways, but not one of its defining features. Funny enoughm I'd probably be ok with this if they didn't attach the switch name to it, even if they said it plays switch games.
But wouldn't that just confuse people if they can play Switch games on it or its entirely new system. Having "Switch" name on it it mean it still same system and can play same games it just portable only.

I haven't read all 19 pages so I don't know if this has been brought but, still calling it The "Switch lite" when they've taken away the whole reasoning for that name seems silly right?

DESTROYA

I haven't read all 19 pages so I don't know if this has been brought but, still calling it The "Switch lite" when they've taken away the whole reasoning for that name seems silly right?
Think of the name switch as more of a brand name not what it was originally intended to do, sure the lite doesn’t “switch” but it would just cause confusion if they called it something else.
Yes the point has been beaten to death.
What are they supposed to call a portable system that plays switch games?
Like it or not that’s what we are stuck with, you want a switch that does TV and portable get the OG, if you want a stand-alone portable with a few missing features and cost much less you get the lite, choice is good right?
I think people are getting to hung of on the name and taking it literally, for a example let’s say a guys name is Dick it’s his name, he’s not a giant penis.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Think of the name switch as more of a brand name not what it was originally intended to do, sure the lite doesn’t “switch” but it would just cause confusion if they called it something else.
Yes the point has been beaten to death.
What are they supposed to call a portable system that plays switch games?
Like it or not that’s what we are stuck with, you want a switch that does TV and portable get the OG, if you want a stand-alone portable with a few missing features and cost much less you get the lite, choice is good right?
I think people are getting to hung of on the name and taking it literally, for a example let’s say a guys name is Dick it’s his name, he’s not a giant penis.
Whilst I do agree that they really couldn't have called it anything else... Maybe it would have been decent if they at least added a way to put the thing on a TV? like without the enhanced dock and just a simple video out or screen mirroring/share. I'm pretty sure USB-C can do a video out, too.

Seems silly to kill the whole console's namesake.

Reactions: TLZ
Some comments? Lol? Just say everyone, are there any people in the whole world who will say they'd prefer to pay more, not less? These days you pay 50, 60 or more MSRP for just a controller, how's it viable for a current system to cost 150?

Might as well say it should be free, then I'd totally get one, do it Nintendo! Switch already sells well at 300, there's pretty much nothing to base a quite a bit cheaper Switch not selling well (unless people really want the TV connectivity and pay more for it, we'll see).

Edit: just realised this is about the specific country. Yeah it always sucks when you pay more USD for the same product but it happens with pretty much every product, we get 1 USD = 1 EUR for most things here too, it is what it is, sadly.

Maybe in the UK they could go down to ~180 to still offer 100 difference from the other Switch model which is 280 there rather than the 320 it is here (Lite looks like a 220 too, wish it was 200 here too, though some stores do that for the main and will again for Lite). 150 still seems far fetched.

£149.99 is the sweet spot for handhelds these days. £200 will make people wonder why it costs the same as a PS4 slim despite being newer.

UK people are finnicky.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Whilst I do agree that they really couldn't have called it anything else... Maybe it would have been decent if they at least added a way to put the thing on a TV? like without the enhanced dock and just a simple video out or screen mirroring/share. I'm pretty sure USB-C can do a video out, too.

Didn’t say it was a great idea for Nintendo to cut out that feature but what are you going to do.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol no shit you didn't read all 19 pages or you would have seen this take repeated ad nauseum

once again for the thick skulls who don't get it:

IT IS CALLED SWITCH LITE BECAUSE IT PLAYS SWITCH GAMES

if you have a better name, one that conveys that it is a portable system that plays Switch games, and you don't have Switch in the name, you are welcome to offer up your suggestion. so far there have been none and the nonstop bitching about it is getting real old.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned

I'm going to sound like a broken record on this until someone offers a complete teardown and analysis; but I'm very interested to learn whether this decision was made for technical reasons (it would have required too much cooling?) or simply for product differentiation. Selling a separate Lite-specific dock seems like an easy accessory play in Nintendo's book.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
But wouldn't that just confuse people if they can play Switch games on it or its entirely new system. Having "Switch" name on it it mean it still same system and can play same games it just portable only.
Yea I suppose...I dunno I think I'm just trying to have it both ways. I want the cheaper console and I think I'd actually prefer a smaller portable experience, but I don't wanna lose the TV function.

Reactions: TLZ
lol no shit you didn't read all 19 pages or you would have seen this take repeated ad nauseum

once again for the thick skulls who don't get it:

IT IS CALLED SWITCH LITE BECAUSE IT PLAYS SWITCH GAMES

if you have a better name, one that conveys that it is a portable system that plays Switch games, and you don't have Switch in the name, you are welcome to offer up your suggestion. so far there have been none and the nonstop bitching about it is getting real old.

Whoa, easy tiger. You don't have to white knight the Switch. It's just a videogame console, it's not gonna let you fuck it.

xool

I'm going to sound like a broken record on this until someone offers a complete teardown and analysis; but I'm very interested to learn whether this decision was made for technical reasons (it would have required too much cooling?) or simply for product differentiation. Selling a separate Lite-specific dock seems like an easy accessory play in Nintendo's book.

I'm betting it's cooling and the SoC in the lite is essentially the same as the OG.

Looking forward to teardowns too...

Akuza89

Personally I'm not a big fan of it, it removes what the switch is and turns it into a DS style item.

There's nothing wrong with that as there is clearly a market for it, it's just an odd choice to remove what is basically the switch's main selling point amongst so many other things removed...

I mean yeah it has a D-pad, but you can get a D-pad joycon for like what £20-25 instead of just buying a new console?

Yes I don't play on my TV much, but when I do it's because the switch is nearly dead and I want to carry on playing, I'd rather be relaxed doing so than straining a wire to carry on.

Vawn

Banned
axoSKQB.png

They're not getting a NA release. They're also not getting a release anywhere else on Earth seeing as they are fan mock ups.

Here's a bunch more not getting s release:

Last edited:
Top Bottom