• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing price given what we are getting. I'm currently sitting outside a GameStop waiting to preorder

Yep..Stop seeing it as a ps4 competition and see it as the next nintendo handheld but it can be played effortlessly on your TV as well.

$300 is just fine for a launch price. Can always go down from there.

Glix

Got my preorder in!! I am so psyched because being able to play on the train means so much to me.

I can see why people in other situations would be disappointed.

Formless

Does Nintendo need to spell out every feature for people in one hour? I guess if they had less of the awkward third party devs speaking they could reiterate how yes they include Joycons in the box, you can use high capacity SD cards, the launch lineup and launch window games all in one big list, etc.

pastrami

Did you see where I said that if it was another $100 I'd "get it." I should clarify that I meant that I would understand. So no, obviously I wouldn't pay $700 for the console.

People have principles. I get it. "I'm not paying over $250."

But there is legit outrage over this. Meltdowns in the announcement thread. That is what I don't get. People that are tuning into a conference and posting about it as it happens. A lot of them huge fans of Nintendo. Ready with their $249. But at $299? No way. Rage. Horror. It's unbelievable!

My surprise is that some diehards are so putoff by the price. Mom walking through the store and being appalled by the price tag, I get it. The casual gamer that might have made an impulse buy? Ok. But for me, the intense outrage over $50 for the people following this so closely...yeah I guess it surprised me. I expected some backlash, but not the extent of it that I've seen. Especially in the presentation thread.

We aren't going to see eye to eye on this. I'm not trying to offend you or anyone else. I guess if it were me and I was so hyped up and ready to buy it at $250, I'd still give in at $300.

The bigger surprise for me is the overpriced accessories. I think that is the more justified outrage. Or lack of launch titles.

Uh, your initial post had nothing to do with outrage. It was about how you can't believe people can't scrounge up $50 by March.

Here's your post, in case you forgot.

Yeah, I get that. I do all of that. But are you saying that with all of that considered you would have paid $250? And now you can't scrape together another $50 by March 3?

And yes, misunderstanding about "get it."

Edit: Also, you were responding to someone talking about how people might not be able to afford $50 because they have bills to pay, not responding to someone outraged at the price.

BFIB

$299 is a little above my price range. I don't follow what everyone here says, this will sell well. Maybe not here, but in Japan, I think this will be a big hit.

...it's not though?

You could think that the price is worth what you're getting, I wouldn't fault anyone for that. But to act like Nintendo is doing you a favor with the value of this thing is just straight up delusional.

But I suppose some people will fawn over every choice Nintendo makes, no matter how baffling. Every console has that crowd, unfortunately.

I'm not that way, in a sense I see the value being wholly better than 3DS was, as its successor and costing 50 more than it did, but can play on tv and no hand cramps (oh and 32 memory, not the 2 or 4(I forget originally) it started with.

~Cross~

Yep..Stop seeing it as a ps4 competition and see it as the next nintendo handheld but it can be played effortlessly on your TV as well.

$300 is just fine for a launch price. Can always go down from there.

I'm not seeing it as "nintendo's next handheld" till nintendo guarantees that its their actual next handheld. Like I said, I would have no issues buying it if I knew it was going to get a solid 4-5 years as nintendos dedicated handheld, but I fear that it failing would cause nintendo to panic and release a new dedicated handheld to substitute it. Then I'd be stuck with the next wii u for god knows how long.

My hope is that there is a lot of room for components to drop in price vs WiiU so they can nuke the price early.

Given what the WiiU normally sells for in Canada its insane that I got one for 250 CAD new in 2014.

ngower

I disagree with people that $300 is overpriced. It's higher than the $250 sweet spot but for being able to play Skyrim on a bus, it's pretty reasonable. The accessories are bullshit. My sister has four kids and if she were to buy a Switch for the house she'd need another $1-$200 in accessories to get them to play together. I hope old remotes and controllers are compatible in the way Wii U was but I doubt that's the case.

I do agree that they focused too much on the system and not enough on games. It seems like there's nothing but Splatoon between launch and holiday.

Does it ever occurred to some here, that Nintendo is not aiming at the (already gone) casual market with the switch yet?

They try to be small and profitable with Nintendo hardcore fans. Low entry price for the console. Expensive accessories and paid online. Easy to port and develop games approach like Sony and ms, too.

They try to get the casual and family later on in the switch lifecycle. Expect bundles at $299 or even $249 black Friday 2017.
And other switch family devices later...

I'm not seeing it as "nintendo's next handheld" till nintendo guarantees that its their actual next handheld. Like I said, I would have no issues buying it if I knew it was going to get a solid 4-5 years as nintendos dedicated handheld, but I fear that it failing would cause nintendo to panic and release a new dedicated handheld to substitute it. Then I'd be stuck with the next wii u for god knows how long.

OK, I guess the only way to know is to sit and wait for 4-5 years huh.

Not like they haven't proven dedicated to hardware platforms that initially underperformed like the DS and 3ds.

Sapientas

Yeah, that would be the breaking point. They needed to clear this up, maybe even outright saying that is their plan.

I'm still confident that this is really their next handheld, but nothing in that presentation really indicated that. No game announced seemed to be a "portable" game.

Hmmm... tough sell. Then again people have no problem paying 600 for an iPhone or tablet.

What worries me is Nintendo's history with third parties and library shortages. Like, okay we get Skyrim and XV2, but they're just ports. Wii U had the same and after that those third parties dropped like flies.

Xenoblade 2, okay fine. We get Zelda and a new Mario that's a given but I can't see myself investing in another Nintendo console after the Wii U.

Vengal

I can't see this going all that well for the price point, the power, and pay to play online. I was an early adopter for the Wii U and felt burned basically the entire time. I almost can see this going the way of the 3DS launch where after a year there is a huge price drop and a program to give early adopters SNES games or something.

Going to wait and see how people react and maybe get one during the holiday or next year.

Glix

Yeah, that would be the breaking point. They needed to clear this up, maybe even outright saying that is their plan.

I'm still confident that this is really their next handheld, but nothing in that presentation really indicated that. No game announced seemed to be a "portable" game.

They pretty much have. Combining all the software teams says everything.

Does it ever occurred to some here, that Nintendo is not aiming at the (already) gone casual market with the switch yet?

They try to be small and profitable with Nintendo hardcore fans. Low entry price for the console. Expensive accessories and paid only. Easy to port and develop games approach like Sony and ms, too.

They try to get the casual and family later on in the switch lifecycle. Expect bundles at $299 or even $249 black Friday 2017.

If they were aiming for the harrdcore why did they sepnd all this time on 1 2 switch and arms? So much time on the joycons?

Lol they want the general audience now.

That price really is stunning, along with now having paid online. I could see $300 only if there was a game bundled with it, and a $250 option without a game. But $300 for no game when almost every Nintendo console has been bundled with a game from the start, even the failed Wii U? That's crazy. You could understand Nintendo getting arrogant with price after the success of the Wii (same mistake Sony made after the massive success of the PS2), but coming after the Wii U, you really think you are in a position to charge these prices?

Glix

Show their efforts then. So far the line-up seems pretty in check with what the Wii U had. I sincerely expected more games from that front.

I agree with that. I guess this is early adopter time, and 2018 will be a price drop and a software deluge.

I'm happy to pay my earlier adopter tax to play Zelda on the go!!!!

I understand that other people have no reason/interest to play on the go, however, making this less appealing.

If they were aiming for the harrdcore why did they sepnd all this time on 1 2 switch and arms? So much time on the joycons?

Lol they want the general audience now.
Pardon me. I talk about the regular Nintendo fans. Not the "neogaf bayonetta and meotorid" Nintendo fans.

Why they focuses so much on 1,2 switch and arms? Because they're unique and not many other games are ready to show yet. Maybe that's a mistake in the messaging like microsoft did with TV, TV, tv.
But Nintendo is definitely focusing on the hardcore console gamer, who are willing to spend money. (parents willing to spend that much money for their kids count, too)

Nothing about the switch shouts casual gaming market.

SpeedNut

Well after seeing that I know why Nintendo is focused on the family set. Adults Only games with that would be umm interesting.

$300 compared to the competitors is just not gonna work. I mean people were getting Holiday Xbox 1 Sses with games for $225. Maybe stripping the dock out and having straight HDMI out only would have got the price point down, especially since they're gouging on peripherals anyway.

bridegur

After buying underpowered hardware from Nintendo with the Wii and Wii U, I think I'm going to wait for a couple price drops before I get the Switch.

azyless

Does it ever occurred to some here, that Nintendo is not aiming at the (already gone) casual market with the switch yet?

They try to be small and profitable with Nintendo hardcore fans. Low entry price for the console. Expensive accessories and paid online. Easy to port and develop games approach like Sony and ms, too.

Hardcore Nintendo fans alone are not gonna keep Nintendo afloat forever.
I mean, I've bought every Nintendo console since the N64 (handhelds and home). Never bought a Sony/Microsoft one. I wouldn't consider myself a "hardcore fan" but I would still hope to be in the demographics for this. And yet the only thing I'll buy this year will probably be a PS4.
400€ entry price for console + 1 game is not "low". You want another pair of controllers for when your friends are around ? That'll be >100€. Paid subscription for subpar services and no "free" games on top of that.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Standing in line outside of GameStop now, 15 minutes before they open. I'm fifth in line and they have 51 consoles. I swung by here last night and two guys have been waiting out here all night.

~Cross~

OK, I guess the only way to know is to sit and wait for 4-5 years huh.

Not like they haven't proven dedicated to hardware platforms that initially underperformed like the DS and 3ds.

The DS originally came out pretty strong while the 3DS lingered because of price issues and lack of support. There was never any doubt that the 3DS was going to be nintendos next handheld so them unfucking it was inevitable.

With the switch there is a layer of ambiguity thats no good. We'll know in about a year if nintendo is actually serious of consolidating their two offerings.

Pez

I have a feeling Nintendo's launch numbers will be low by design, so it'll sell out.

I don't see Mario coming out this fall, but could be wrong.

I think this system will kick into gear a year and 1/2 from now. Until then, we saw everything this console has to offer until mid 2018, which is very little atm.

Third party will remain distant, we'll get a lot of last gen ports.

Pardon me. I talk about the regular Nintendo fans. Not the "neogaf bayonetta and meotorid" Nintendo fans.

Lol regular nintendo fans. I've spent thousamds on Nintendo systems. Mario is my fav franchise ever. Miss me with that shit.

Why they focuses so much on 1,2 switch and arms? Because they're unique and not many other games are ready to show yet. Maybe that's a mistake in the messaging like microsoft did with TV, TV, tv.

They delayed this shit for games and these are the games they show?

[Quote
But Nintendo is definitely focusing on the hardcore console gamer, who are willing to spend money. (parents willing to spend that much money for their kids count, too)[/quote]

Hardcore gamers are not stupid. The WiiU did not light up the market and its launch was core focused.

Nothing about the switch shouts casual gaming market.

The whole damn nintendo portion of the presemtation was about the gemeral audience. Mario is for the general audiencee. They are selling a system at premium price wihout offering premium value and they want the general audiemce to buy it.

I dunno how you are not seeing that.

Sapientas

I agree with that. I guess this is early adopter time, and 2018 will be a price drop and a software deluge.

I'm happy to pay my earlier adopter tax to play Zelda on the go!!!!

I understand that other people have no reason/interest to play on the go, however, making this less appealing.

Yeah, that's one of the attractions of the console and most seem to undermine it. It makes sense since I, personally, don't care for it. I'm sure the Japanese market will appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom