• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifeline

The price, Zelda running and looking better on PC, and the software drought at launch will be the perfect storm to stop the hype machine behind the Switch. I said this before in the CEMU thread, but Nintendo will take some drastic steps to do something about them before the Zelda launch.

Kremzeek

They really should have had that Mario game out in the "launch window."

This feels like they're back to the trickle drip release schedule, which does not generate confidence.

Silvawuff

I think the odds are stacked against Nintendo, no matter what price point they're throwing out there. Their last decade of hamfisted business and poor Wii U reception did that, not the launch price of their latest creation.

March makes sense to me. Time to work out bugs, build the console's library, and start to establish a user base. There'll probably be a price drop by the holidays for those who can't or won't buy it for the launch price in an attempt to make it the "it" gift.

$299 is a little above my price range. I don't follow what everyone here says, this will sell well. Maybe not here, but in Japan, I think this will be a big hit.

For one, that's really debatable; Japan wants nothing with TV consoles right now, so for them it would simply be the most expensive portable available in the market, with by far the least amount of games. For another, doing well in Japan is no longer enough; it's a smaller market now than it has ever been, your console has to sell well worldwide or nobody will bother making games for it.

MSScaeva

Neo Member
At €250 I probably would've preordered without a second thought. At €300+ however, without any backward compatibility or confirmed Virtual Console transfers (or anything VC really), the only thing I'll have to play on it for months will probably be Zelda, which isn't enough for me unless the Wii U version has big performance issues for some reason. I'll probably wait until E3 and see what they announce then before purchasing.

Smellycat

I nabbed mine from Target
3AQmK.gif

MCD

By holiday 2017 software will be more mature and better bundles and games all around.

but the tech gadget lover in me say buy it at launch. decisions decisions.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like it would take a lot less to impulse buy this thing if it was $50 cheaper. $300 is not outrageous to me, just a little bit on the expensive side for what it is, especially considering how expensive the peripherals and games look to be.

I sort of went from pick up day 1 to wait for birthday in April.

Why can't Nintendo just release a fucking console with no damn gimmicky bullshit?

Either that or go third party already for major console titles and continue making the DS for handheld market...

take the switch remove the screen and make a set top box. Hell, partner with Nvidia, call it the Nintendo Shield or Nintendo S(hield), be a showcase for their new tegra processor when it's ready. Price it at $249 with a pro controller.

like nintendo needs to play the "my first console" and "people already own a Xbox/PC/PS4, let's be their second console" markets. Instead they are still trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft with gimmicky bullshit when that ship has sailed years ago.

They aren't going to win over their Wii market that left for phones/tablets.

They learned nothing from the last few years of the Wii and the Wii U.

Hindl

I feel like it would take a lot less to impulse buy this thing if it was $50 cheaper. $300 is not outrageous to me, just a little bit on the expensive side for what it is, especially considering how expensive the peripherals and games look to be.

I sort of went from pick up day 1 to wait for birthday in April.

Yeah if the controllers were cheaper and they knocked another $50 off the console there would've been a vastly different reaction. Launch lineup is weak but all consoles launch pretty weak. But the price is not in that impulse territory

Uh, your initial post had nothing to do with outrage. It was about how you can't believe people can't scrounge up $50 by March.

Here's your post, in case you forgot.

And yes, misunderstanding about "get it."

Edit: Also, you were responding to someone talking about how people might not be able to afford $50 because they have bills to pay, not responding to someone outraged at the price.

I quoted the initial post regarding the bills because I don't really think that is the core issue for most people. That they can't come up with another $50 if they really wanted the system. Yeah I get some people are on a tight budget. But I think most of the people discussing this right now that were ready and willing to budget $250 for a game console could round up another $50 if they really wanted it. That's one point.

Then you provided another argument about an arbitrary number which you implied was based on principle. That's different than being unable to buy it because of financial obligations. You are implying a lot of people had a cutoff point. So then our discussion shifted to that. Then other people posted in between, on both sides of the fence. The discussion grew to the point that I brought up the outrage displayed over the price. I agree that it really isn't an issue of not being able to pay another $50 for most people. I'm also guilty of reading other threads in between commenting on this one where people are having meltdowns over the price.

So to summarize on one hand I don't think it is a budgeting issue for a lot of the people that are discussing it today. Additionally, I personally don't think intense outrage over $50 is reasonable from some of the people that were going to instabuy at $250. If people want to stand their ground over $50, that is their right. But some implying that it's because of financial obligations? I think that is a very small fraction of it. I brought up outrage because it has become part and parcel with the whole price discussion surrounding the Switch.

Also, try to have a discussion without the micro aggression. "In case you forgot." And telling me than I have an "issue." Come on. I didn't throw any jabs at you and I'm not lashing out at anyone.

EDIT: I don't know that it really matters, but I expected it to be $250.

reKon

Banned
The smartest option is to wait till holiday 2017. More games, more deals/bundles, maybe even a price drop.

A price drop is guaranteed. If they don't have one their entire board needs to be replaced.

All you need to do a take a look at the current landscape and the historical performance of the Wii U.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone forgot that the Gamecube was more powerful and cheaper by 100$ than the PS2 during launch, but that did not help it.

Stop saying that price and power determines a console's success.

Yeah it's mostly western AAA third party support that matters. And having exclusives in those genres/styles that help attract those gamers to your platform instead of the competition.

So Nintendo should be fine....

Come on man. It's an underpowered, overpriced system that looks to still have a software library that only really appeal to their base and fans of niche Japanese games. The price of the console and especially accessories and paid online will make it unappealing to a lot of core gamers who may have considered it as a second (or third or fourth or whatever) platform to get some more variety.

BumRush

I've owned pretty much every Nintendo console at launch and fully expected to preorder this at launch.

I'm definitely going to wait a year or two, now.

I'm guessing a lot of folks feel the same, and it's sad to see.

Branduil

lol what a difference $50 makes. From "buy no questions asked" to "out of touch with reality". Jesus.

It's not just the extra $50 for the console itself, but the lack of pack-in(WHO is going actually buy 1 2 Switch on its own?), the ludicrously priced peripherals, and paid online with no features.

Everyone forgot that the Gamecube was more powerful and cheaper by 100$ than the PS2 during launch, but that did not help it.

Stop saying that price and power determines a console's success.

Can we just stop with this tired argument? It shows up all the time and ignores the realities of what actually happened back then.

Larogue

$300 for an outdated system with laughable storage, battery life, screen resolution, and only one game worth buying till summer (max 3-4 by the end of the year).

Is the definition of a joke.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I slept and cooled down

Is the Switch still priced terribly or was I just tired and overreacting?

$300 isn't awful.

$70 pro controller, $80 joy con pair, $30 charging grip, $90 extra dock, paid online that requires a smart phone/app for chatting and invites, only 32gb storage necessitating an SD card etc. is fucking absurd though and has me close to canceling my preorder after sleeping on it.

Ok, I slept and cooled down

Is the Switch still priced terribly or was I just tired and overreacting?
the system itself is questionably priced, and very difficult position since its the same as a PS4 which includes a game. Its not a horrible price but its definitely questionable.

The peripherals are inarguably horribly priced

Paid online service and no compelling launch exclusives for the price of a PS4/XB1?

What a train wreck Nintendo. Guess I'll be dusting off that Wii U for Zelda.

It's not just the extra $50 for the console itself, but the lack of pack-in(WHO is going actually buy 1 2 Switch on its own?), the ludicrously priced peripherals, and paid online with no features.

I am shocked that 1-2 Switch is not a pack-in. I can't imagine it's going to sell as a $50 game. They want people to pay nearly full price for a video game where they actually tout the fact that you don't have to look at the video portion of it. That absolutely screams pack-in.

It would almost be like selling the 3DS with the AR games sold separately. Like Face Raiders for $20.

Man Neogaf is fucking rabid given all hardware launches are mediocre as fuck. Face it NeoGaf, you're never gonna get that Dreamcast launch lineup again. Just wait like a normal person, Nintendo games take time in the oven, it is against their corporate DNA to push out unfinished software.

vpance

Why can't Nintendo just release a fucking console with no damn gimmicky bullshit?

Either that or go third party already for major console titles and continue making the DS for handheld market...

take the switch remove the screen and make a set top box. Hell, partner with Nvidia, call it the Nintendo Shield or Nintendo S(hield), be a showcase for their new tegra processor when it's ready. Price it at $249 with a pro controller.

like nintendo needs to play the "my first console" and "people already own a Xbox/PC/PS4, let's be their second console" markets. Instead they are still trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft with gimmicky bullshit when that ship has sailed years ago.

They aren't going to win over their Wii market that left for phones/tablets.

They learned nothing from the last few years of the Wii and the Wii U.

Actually I'm guessing they think that without the gimmicks they would invite an even closer comparison to PS4 and Xbox, which they don't want. But this time there's even more profit margin built in compared to Wii U.

I agree with that. I guess this is early adopter time, and 2018 will be a price drop and a software deluge.

I'm happy to pay my earlier adopter tax to play Zelda on the go!!!!

I understand that other people have no reason/interest to play on the go, however, making this less appealing.

Totilo and I will be playing our Wii U copies of Zelda on the go as well.
Kinda.

ldscehmp5kqfytaku3bv.jpg

foxbeldin

Don't know if it has been discussed or even where to put it, but on Gameblog, Julien Chieze said the console was a bit warm (not in a inconvenient way) but definitely not hot, and he could feel the air from the fan coming out on the front.
He couldn't hear if it was loud as he was in a very noisy environment.

Cmagus

Do Japanese consoles usually give the same language options as NA? Since it's region free I may grab a JP console if I can put it in English.

Man Neogaf is fucking rabid given all hardware launches are mediocre as fuck. Face it NeoGaf, you're never gonna get that Dreamcast launch lineup again. Just wait like a normal person, Nintendo games take time in the oven, it is against their corporate DNA to push out unfinished software.

I think people are more than reasonable at being aghast at what they showed considering how anemic (at best) the Wii U has been.

Actually I'm guessing they think that without the gimmicks they would invite an even closer comparison to PS4 and Xbox, which they don't want. But this time there's even more profit margin built in compared to Wii U.

I think another part of it is that Nintendo does not have the cash that Microsoft or Sony has to dump into the R&D required to design a box that actually competes with them on a CPU and graphical processing level. At least not that they could afford to develop and sell at a potential loss - something Nintendo has said they refuse to do. It would kill them financially unless it became a massive success.

This is an odd way to defend this....There is no excuse to be this unprepared for a console launch after the wii-u, nintendo is not some special flower whose games are beyond reproach

manakel

I like how people are presuming Zelda will run fine in CEMU.
I completely forgot CEMU is a thing. Yeah, any slight interest I had in Switch was because of Zelda, so I will definitely be playing the Wii U version on CEMU if it runs well.

It'll probably look better than the Switch version lol

lol what a difference $50 makes. From "buy no questions asked" to "out of touch with reality". Jesus.

It's more about the console being $50 more than expected, while also having a nonexistent launch lineup and very nebulous release schedule.

This thing has a worse launch lineup (as it stands) than the 3DS and Wii U, which were already rough.

BadWolf

I think another part of it is that Nintendo does not have the cash that Microsoft or Sony has to dump into the R&D required to design a box that actually competes with them on a CPU and graphical processing level. At least not that they could afford to develop and sell at a potential loss - something Nintendo has said they refuse to do. It would kill them financially unless it became a massive success.

It's not so much about R&D or money but rather the direct competition that would arise. It would just be the gamecube all over again.

For them it seems that the only way they can compete is by coming up with a gimmick that sticks. This has worked for them twice (Wii and DS) and not so much since.

This is an odd way to defend this....There is no excuse to be this unprepared for a console launch after the wii-u, nintendo is not some special flower whose games are beyond reproach

I think that they could have killed it if both Zelda and Mario were ready for launch. It would have been risky, but imagine the reaction they would have gotten. People wouldn't be making as many jokes about two launch games if they had been The Legend of Zelda: BotW and Super Mario Odyssey.

Spy

-Aside from Zelda, a Wii U port, and Super Bomberman R, nothing at launch is compelling
-Accessories that are priced up the wazoo
-Paid online service that gives you one trial NES/SNES game per month
-No built in party chat, you must use a paid app on your phone to chat with friends on a game by game basis
-Hardware that is NOT cutting edge priced like it is
-Presentation focused on gimmicks rather than providing answers to questions. UI, achievement system, launch lineup?

I'm still buying one but I'm a realist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom