• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawnton

Preordered my Switch at Gamestop and I nabbed one of five Zelda special editions they were getting. I will get Puyo Puyo Tetris on Amazon and that's it for me for launch.

Formless

Guys, I don't think most customers care about UI and achievements as much as the big controller features whether you think they're gimmicks or not.

I do think they could've easily slid UI, VC, etc in though.

that_dude_guy

Neo Member
I think people are more than reasonable at being aghast at what they showed considering how anemic (at best) the Wii U has been.

I'm hopeful about the Switch because they have effectively killed the Wii U and 3DS. I doubt that Nintendo will introduce significant first-party titles between Zelda's launch and Mario's crazy holiday release, but I do expect that developers will flood the system with what would have been 3DS titles by next year. If that doesn't happen, then I'll mourn the 3DS ecosystem.

This is an odd way to defend this....There is no excuse to be this unprepared for a console launch after the wii-u, nintendo is not some special flower whose games are beyond reproach

Actually, their games are continuous special flowers. Nintendo takes all the time they can and if they give us good games eventually; why complain? I would take a polished Zelda over an undercooked Mafia 3 or Homefront Revolution.

-Aside from Zelda, a Wii U port, and Super Bomberman R, nothing at launch is compelling
-Accessories that are priced up the wazoo
-Paid online service that gives you one trial NES/SNES game per month
-No built in party chat, you must use a paid app on your phone to chat with friends on a game by game basis
-Hardware that is not cutting edge priced like it is
-Presentation focused on gimmicks rather than providing answers to questions. UI, achievement system, launch lineup?

I'm still buying one but I'm a realist.

Nintendo almost could have just made a controller attachment for the iPad and done the same thing. But they are sticking to their guns and insisting that they can deliver hardware. Time will tell I suppose.

Actually, their games are continuous special flowers. Nintendo takes all the time they can and if they give us good games eventually; why complain? I would take a polished Zelda over an undercooked Mafia 3 or Homefront Revolution.

Many devs make special games, not just Nintendo, and Nintendo has had their share of duds, so no they are not special snow flakes.

Chitown B

Console Original Price 2016 Price
NES $199 $445.44
SNES $199 $351.91
Nintendo 64 $199 $305.48
GameCube $199 $270.64
Wii $249 $297.48
Wii U $299 $313.66
Switch $299 $299.99

Cheapest since the Wii. Only beaten by the GC.

rekameohs

Banned
Nintendo almost could have just made a controller attachment for the iPad and done the same thing. But they are sticking to their guns and insisting that they can deliver hardware. Time will tell I suppose.
You know, I'm starting to think the same. I'm definitely someone that fits in the "wants to play console games in the portable space" market, but they've actually unsold me. I think a peripheral for iPad could've done the same thing they're doing now at a much lower cost of entry, much higher initial user base.

Ladekabel

Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't a launch game. May 2.

Say whaaaat? I thought that would be my game next to Zelda at launch. Maybe I'll go with I Am Setsuna after all.

Man, I wish we would get something like Nidhogg at launch. That would be a great showcase for portable coop.

hoserx

NES $199 $445.44
SNES $199 $351.91
Nintendo 64 $199 $305.48
GameCube $199 $270.64
Wii $249 $297.48
Wii U $299 $313.66
Switch $299 $299.99

To be fair, the 8gb WiiU was 299. Most people bought the 32gb Black one which was $349.

yyr

like nintendo needs to play the "my first console" and "people already own a Xbox/PC/PS4, let's be their second console" markets. Instead they are still trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft with gimmicky bullshit when that ship has sailed years ago.

Yeah, their message seems very confused.

Some of us: "Why don't they just release a traditional console with a controller?"
Others: "They shouldn't compete with the PS4 and XB1."

Now we get a $299 price point, which means they're competing with the PS4 and XB1. Both consoles are cheaper, are more powerful, AND include a pack-in game. It's insane.

Does it ever occurred to some here, that Nintendo is not aiming at the (already gone) casual market with the switch yet?

They try to be small and profitable with Nintendo hardcore fans. Low entry price for the console. Expensive accessories and paid online. Easy to port and develop games approach like Sony and ms, too.

Except that the entry price is NOT low, especially since it doesn't include anything to play. And Wii U already proved that Nintendo hardcore are not enough.

The Presentation failed to communicate who the intended audience actually is, beyond the devoted Nintendo faithful. I believe these are the audiences for Switch as it stands right now:

1) The truly devoted Nintendo faithful.
2) What little remains of the casual gaming market, who have ALSO not yet purchased a PS4 or an XB1.
3) The folks that want the most powerful gaming handheld on the market. Reminder: Sony does not believe that this market still exists.

In other words, Nintendo are really rolling the dice on this one. Three of them. And they have to roll above 18, or their sock puppet gets murdered.

Ashodin

Back from GameStop! They had crazy amounts of people pre-order today. They said it was the biggest they've seen since the Wii. That's promising!

Got Zelda SE, Mario, 1 2 switch, Arms, joy con grip, and gray joy con system.

I'm all set for March 3 :)

Spy

Say whaaaat? I thought that would be my game next to Zelda at launch. Maybe I'll go with I Am Setsuna after all.

Man, I wish we would get something like Nidhogg at launch. That would be a great showcase for portable coop.
Super Bomberman R?

Neoweee

NES $199 $445.44
SNES $199 $351.91
Nintendo 64 $199 $305.48
GameCube $199 $270.64
Wii $249 $297.48
Wii U $299 $313.66
Switch $299 $299.99

Basically, it is in the same ballpark that most previous consoles have been, barring slight fluctuations and kind of hand-wavy CPI and inflation calculations.

kiguel182

if they dropped the motion controls they probably could've gotten to 250 bucks. That whole part of the presentation was really off putting.

Hell, a 199 box without the portable part would be an excellent offer too for people with no interest in that.

Also, it has a touch screen and nothing shown on it.

For me everything good that initial trailer showed was kinda dropped here,

I wonder why they didnt do 2 bundle , one bundle with no dock and 1 bundle with the dock , i wouldve a bougt only the handheld got the dock later on

For Canadians it means that we will pay 450$ including taxes. That is pretty steep but if you consider that mobile devices such as Iphones go for 800$ or a shield goes for 375$ it's not THAT bad. Not to mention that a Vita, that was released december 2011, still goes for 210$ US. We are talking about a 5 years old console here.

I never buy a console on Day one. I prefer to wait a year or two so that they build an acceptable game library. In addition,I just got a Vita last week and I have a lot of stuff to keep me busy on the go for a year or two.

In the end I believe that the price is reasonable when you compare it to other devices

RocknRola

I'm still not quite over the 329€ price tag for Europe lol What a miss Nintendo, what a damn miss.

Also, any detail on the online? Price, new functionalities, ect?

Griss

I feel like they fucked almost everything up, but then I take a step back and tell myself that this is exactly the successor to the 3ds that I wanted.

When I look at it that way I'm inclined to buy at launch, but not before learning the online fee and VC plans.

ikuze

Do Japanese consoles usually give the same language options as NA? Since it's region free I may grab a JP console if I can put it in English.

I would like to know this, too. But I would buy the PAL one and want to put it in Japanese.

Neoweee

I wonder why they didnt do 2 bundle , one bundle with no dock and 1 bundle with the dock , i wouldve a bougt only the handheld got the dock later on

They don't want to make the key selling point of the system appear optional. And not worth splitting up the initial shipment.

Eventually, it may come to pass, but it won't be wildly cheaper.

I feel like they fucked almost everything up, but then I take a step back and tell myself that this is exactly the successor to the 3ds that I wanted.

Viewing it as a Wii or Wii U followup will trigger PTSD in some, but viewing it as a 3DS or DS followup, it is pretty easy to be optimistic about this. There will almost certainly be a price drop or bundle by year's end, but I don't think what has been shown so far is a giant miss.

For the love of God, please give us a decent account system and DRM, though.

Man....this is less than impressive. They would have been better to hold off another six months on this and release it full featured with a good library.

Anth0ny

NES $199 $445.44
SNES $199 $351.91
Nintendo 64 $199 $305.48
GameCube $199 $270.64
Wii $249 $297.48
Wii U $299 $313.66
Switch $299 $299.99

competition is cheaper than the switch

competition was $599 when wii was $249

perception is everything. makes the switch look overpriced in comparison.

Darkangel

I feel like you can either go expensive and high-end, or cheap and weird. Nintendo decided to go expensive and weird.

The initial reveal video made the Switch look like a "normal," relatively high-end portable console. If they had stuck with that idea and used a full power XB1-tier Tegra chip then I could see the $300 USD price being justified. Last night's reveal combined with the disappointing spec leak makes it look like another attempt to win over the Wii audience. I know Nintendo can't directly compete with Microsoft and Sony (or so they say), but I thought that the novelty of having a fully portable console would be enough to discourage further gimmicks.

I guess the main difference between the Switch and the Wii U is that Nintendo will be making a lot more money even if it only sells around 10 million units (paid online, $80 controllers, high-margin on the console). I liked some of the games they showcased, but I'm not paying $400 CAD for another "compromised" Nintendo device.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Back from GameStop! They had crazy amounts of people pre-order today. They said it was the biggest they've seen since the Wii. That's promising!

Just got back myself. I was the first preorder of the morning but while I was there a bunch more showed up. Fucking excited for march 3rd!

sprinkles

Slightly mad Euro pricing aside - what surprised me most was how they didn't learn a thing from the barren wasteland that was the WiiU launch software lineup.

RedAssedApe

Banned

sounds like something you would say to get other people to tell their friends to pre-order so they don't miss out on the zeitgeist ;)

in all seriousness though...day 0/1 pre-orders don't necessarily really tell you much these days.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
wait, so how do you charge the controllers?

you dont need that grip to charge it while playing a game right?

The grip that it comes with can't charge them period.

You have to attach to the tablet to charge. No word on whether it will charge from the tablet battery while in portable mode, or if you just can't game if your joycons die and they're all you have.

There's a $30 charger grip that I guess has it's own battery to boost them and can be plugged into play while charging. Or you get a $70 pro controller. Or a second pair of joy cons for $80.

That's why people are so upset about the controller pricing. If you're mainly going to game on the tv you really need the charger grip at a minimum and ideally a pro controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom