• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Cross~

$300 is a fantastic price, I don't know what y'all are smoking.

Someone very high up at nintendo must be saying the same thing as well.

tJ8smuY.jpg

How much cheaper would it be without the IR camera and haptics, which are clearly included in a completely futile attempt to win back casuals from mobile? Sigh.

E-phonk

Banned
I was all in to get one at launch, but at € 329 without even a game I'm not preordering.
I'll get one later when it's cheaper just like i did with WiiU

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
$300 is a fantastic price, I don't know what y'all are smoking.

Please, explain how pricing an inferior piece of hardware, even higher than the market leading PS4(which is many times more powerful than the switch) makes sense or is a "fantastic price"?

It's a guaranteed failure at this point.

benjammin

Please, explain how pricing an inferior piece of hardware, even higher than the market leading PS4(which is many times more powerful than the switch) makes sense or is a "fantastic price"?

It's a guaranteed failure at this point.
I don't think it's a guaranteed failure because it's a hybrid and will appeal to more people than a standalone console would by itself. But it's definitely priced too high.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm done waffling, just canceled my Best Buy Preorder.

Preordered Zelda for Wii U from Amazon.

I just can't justify the cost for all I'd need. $300 console, $70 pro controller (so I can leave the joy cons on the tablet for easy switching, have a d pad, and have a controller I can play while charging), $40-60 for a decent speed 128-200GB SD card (I like buying games digitally), and whatever fee for online play starting in fall (which sucks as I really only play Splatoon online as far as Nintendo stuff goes and don't care about a "free" classic game a month as I have all I want on emulators).

My two shelves full of Amiibo feel even sillier now that I won't even have a current Nintendo machine for who knows how long. Time to accept that their just nostalgic knickknacks I guess.

Nintendo has fallen so far for me, from the NES-N64 days when I was pretty much a fanboy. :(

Wil348

I really think they should have done a handheld only bundle as well. Remove the joycon grip and the dock, just include the base unit with joycons and a USB-C charger and price it at $229 or something.

Couleurs

Man....this is less than impressive. They would have been better to hold off another six months on this and release it full featured with a good library.

Agreed

I was pretty pumped up about the Switch, but the more info Nintendo releases (barren launch lineup, absurdly expensive controllers thanks to dumb gimmicks, 32GB storage, charging for their joke of an online service (we have to pay to use our cell phones for voice chat? are you kidding me?), etc), the more I plan on waiting until the end of the year when Mario releases and reevaluating whether to buy or keep waiting.

I really want Nintendo to succeed, but they are once again proving that they are incapable of learning from previous mistakes. The system should have been delayed until a strong launch lineup was available and online services fully ready.

Dartastic

Really amazed at this thread. Yeah, I thought the show would be better and have more games, but I know the Nintendo games will be coming. Pricing of the console is what I expected, either 250 or 299. The only truly shitty thing is the pricing of the accessories.

EBreda

For the first time as long as I remember, I'm not preordering a new console.

Presentation did nothing for me, unfortunately. I think Nintendo is wrong on so many levels. It's sad.

I've always been a Nintendo fan, and still am despite not having had any of their handhelds since probably Game Boy Advance and didn't buy WiiU either, and the Switch sadly continues that trend for me.

The lineup of games looks thin again and I'm just not convinced by Zelda, gimmick overload that I'm absolutely not interested in as I don't play outside the living room, bullshit price points (the controllers are fucking ridiculous)...just the whole package has my interest at minus zero which is a shame. I've been waiting for a cool new Nintendo system since the piss-poor Wii and it's yet another skip for me.

And yeah I know it's not news but no Metroid game in the lineup either as always, another nail in that coffin. I may still get it some years down the line just for the great looking Mario, but man, it'll have to be on the cheap.

DOWN

Banned
100% don't understand how people think this is expensive for not only a new console launch, but for a new console that is also handheld capable and replacing both Wii U and 3DS down the line

you thought more features and better graphics would somehow make it not just cheaper than every other console launch, but cheaper than Wii U is now???

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed

I was pretty pumped up about the Switch, but the more info Nintendo releases (barren launch lineup, absurdly expensive controllers thanks to dumb gimmicks, 32GB storage, charging for their joke of an online service, etc), the more I plan on waiting until the end of the year when Mario releases and reevaluating whether to buy or keep waiting.

I really want Nintendo to succeed, but they are once again proving that they are incapable of learning from previous mistakes.

Yep. I'll likely still be waiting beyond this fall as I don't see a great price drop or bundle deal, and the absurd controller prices, needing an SD card etc. aren't going away either.

Makes me sad as I was pretty hyped from playing some Wii U stuff this week and all the rumored games and they just stomped out all the buzz I'd built up. :(

DesertFox

Console Original Price 2016 Price
NES $199 $445.44
SNES $199 $351.91
Nintendo 64 $199 $305.48
GameCube $199 $270.64
Wii $249 $297.48
Wii U $299 $313.66
Switch $299 $299.99

Cheapest since the Wii. Only beaten by the GC.

Do this again, but this time for the average salary of their target audience for each year those consoles released.

I'm curious about it. Never understood the posters that just type doa and leave. Must be great at parties.

That being said, there are two announced things that caught my eye, but nothing has made me want to dive in yet. Price point isn't speaking to me- the whole 32gb has me concerned in this day and age-but I don't think it's that bad ask things considered.

Definitely hopeful that it pans out. Always great to have competition and new toys for sure.

100% don't understand how people think this is expensive for not only a new console launch, but for a new console that is also handheld capable and replacing both Wii U and 3DS down the line

you thought more features and better graphics would somehow make it not just cheaper than every other console launch, but cheaper than Wii U is now???

Don't try to understand. Its not worth it.

johnny956

I don't think it's a guaranteed failure because it's a hybrid and will appeal to more people than a standalone console would by itself. But it's definitely priced too high.

The 3DS struggled at a higher price. Hybrid was definitely a risk. I don't see how this succeeds at a $299

jstripes

Banned
I want one, but I still can't get over how ugly the dock is.

They could have done something a hell of a lot more tasteful than just sticking an oversized logo on it front and centre.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Again, it's not so much the $300 console price as it is the price of extra controllers which are pretty much needed IMO (so you can leave joy cons on while playing, have a controller that can charge while playing--at least need the $30 charger grip) etc., an SD card for those that like buying digitally, having to pay for online starting in fall etc.

Also keep in mind that a lot of us aren't Nintendo diehards, and mainly play on pc/ps4/x1 and had our 3DS/Wii Us get a relatively small % of our gaming time. So the value proposition is very different vs. the Nintendo (and portable gaming) diehards for who Switch will be their main (or only) platform and get a ton of gaming time.

I want one, but I still can't get over how ugly the dock is.

They could have done something a hell of a lot more tasteful than just sticking an oversized logo on it front and centre.

There's already skins showing up for it, so I wouldn't let that bother you. Aside from ones from Hori and what not, I'm sure Decal Girl and other places that specialize in gadget skins will have a ton of options.

DOWN

Banned
Again, it's not so much the $300 console price as it is the price of extra controllers which are pretty much needed IMO (so you can leave joy cons on while playing, have a controller that can charge while playing--at least need the $30 charger grip) etc., an SD card for those that like buying digitally, having to pay for online starting in fall etc.

Also keep in mind that a lot of us aren't Nintendo diehards, and mainly play on pc/ps4/x1 and had our 3DS/Wii Us get a relatively small % of our gaming time. So the value proposition is very different vs. the Nintendo (and portable gaming) diehards for who Switch will be their main (or only) platform and get a ton of gaming time.
I haven't been willing to buy into Nintendo systems since GameCube and yet this one has me locked in. The unified handheld and console franchises and sequels for massively less than it costs to have gotten access to both libraries in the past has great appeal. And it ain't pricey for a new console at all.

That price really is stunning, along with now having paid online. I could see $300 only if there was a game bundled with it, and a $250 option without a game. But $300 for no game when almost every Nintendo console has been bundled with a game from the start, even the failed Wii U? That's crazy. You could understand Nintendo getting arrogant with price after the success of the Wii (same mistake Sony made after the massive success of the PS2), but coming after the Wii U, you really think you are in a position to charge these prices?

"We saw how much you loved the trailer"

ExcelTronic

The price is pretty great! Hopefully I'll be able to preorder a neon variant after work. Definitely getting Zelda, Bomberman, and Binding of Isaac.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Do this again, but this time for the average salary of their target audience for each year those consoles released.

And also consider by generation whether the Nintendo console was able to be the only/main console for non Nintendo fanboys or not. People will pay more for their main platform than secondary ones, which is what Nintendo has been from GCN (and arguably N64) on for people who aren't Nintendo fans first and foremost.

I'm kind of sad now that the portable and handheld lines are merged. The handhelds always offered a cheap way to get a Nintendo fix if you didn't like their console enough to pay for it.

f@luS

More than a member.
Paid online is a bummer. I'll have to pay for PS4 Xbox live and now Nintendo. Not sure if it's worth it

Accessories price are INSANE. I don't care much about money but

Switch + Zelda + pro controller + protection case ...= 500e i just pre ordered. Damnit. They're smoking. I love Zelda and wanna play it but I almost want it to bomb. Seriously Nintendo. Wtf

Édit : did I forget the 30e charger? Can't it charge automatically when it's on the dock ? And how to charge the pro controller ?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been willing to buy into Nintendo systems since GameCube and yet this one has me locked in. The unified handheld and console franchises and sequels for massively less than it costs to have gotten access to both libraries in the past has great appeal. And it ain't pricey for a new console at all.

I agree the unified library has a ton of potential.

It's just not there for me from what they've shown so far. I'll probably buy one next year sometime when more games are out. Only Zelda (which I'll play on Wii U) and Mario have much appeal to me. I got super sick of Splatoon and Mario Kart just hasn't been fun post college since I have no local gamer friends. Nothing else shown interested me at all, and a lot doesn't have release dates anyway. If they want me back I need to see more varied stuff like Metroid, Fzero, Wave Race, Eternal Darkness (not all those, or even those specifics, just more diverse offerings than the standard stuff we got on Wii U and 3DS) and new IPs. So I'll play the wait and see game for a good while.

As for cost, price is just very subjective. Nintendo is lucky to get 10% of my gaming time in a good year post N64 so I'm just not willing to drop $400ish for the console, pro controller and SD card for something I'll use a fraction as much as my PC and PS4, and then however much a year for online. I can see it being easy to swallow for people who will spend most or all their gaming time on it.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

There is nothing in the switch that warrants that price.

It's not pushing any graphical boundaries for a console that was released 5 years ago let alone in 2017, it can't play Blu-rays. It's very outdated and incredibly inferior technology inside the machine.

It has no storage, the accessories are insanely priced, paid online, one of the worst launch line ups ever.

It costs more than two existing consoles that offer way more(imo) and are way more capable graphically.

I don't see how Nintendo survives this.

100% out of touch.

jstripes

Banned
There's already skins showing up for it, so I wouldn't let that bother you. Aside from ones from Hori and what not, I'm sure Decal Girl and other places that specialize in gadget skins will have a ton of options.

I'm just disappointed that a company with such a great industrial design record (minus the N64 and DS Phat) would produce something so amateurish.

Anyway, I hate skins. They never look "right". When I get one, I'm going to spraypaint it.

BFIB

There is nothing in the switch that warrants that price.

It's not pushing any graphical boundaries for a console that was released 5 years ago let alone in 2017, it can't play Blu-rays. It's very outdated and incredibly inferior technology inside the machine.

It has no storage, the accessories are insanely priced, paid online, one of the worst launch line ups ever.

It costs more than two existing consoles that offer way more(imo) and are way more capable graphically.

I don't see how Nintendo survives this.

100% out of touch.

The main issue I have too is that Nintendo has all these R&D teams, yet, Mario is Holiday. Zelda is a Wii U port for all intends and purposes, same with Mario Kart 8.

I think people, including myself, would have been able to justify the price more if Nintendo would have delivered on a killer launch lineup. Its quickly apparent, its going to be the Wii U approach of trickle down games every quarter.

Plus, paid online when Nintendo is so far behind the times with online is ridiculous. This service better be amazing.

Peltz

The main issue I have too is that Nintendo has all these R&D teams, yet, Mario is Holiday. Zelda is a Wii U port for all intends and purposes, same with Mario Kart 8.

I think people, including myself, would have been able to justify the price more if Nintendo would have delivered on a killer launch lineup. Its quickly apparent, its going to be the Wii U approach of trickle down games every quarter.

Plus, paid online when Nintendo is so far behind the times with online is ridiculous. This service better be amazing.

I wouldn't say that is clear yet. 3DS also started off slow but then had a killer subsequent two years before Wii U stretched them thin again. I think there's a chance we'll see a good 2018 lineup. Edit: Yea sorry, I agree with you that launch is too dry though.

joecanada

you make it sound like it's replacing two things and I am guessing that is Nintendos message as well

"instead of 3ds and wiiu you only need one for 300!!"

but what a lot of people are going to see is just a relatively expensive gaming machine that does everything ......... ok.

I think people will rush to buy it at first but that sales will languish later. but games, games, games could influence that long term outlook.

awdrifter

I was somewhat hyped about it when it was rumored to have Tegra X2 Pascal with around 1tflop docked. But when was revealed to be based on Tegra X1 Maxwell and underclocked, my expectation dropped dramatically. When I saw the presentation last night, I know it's another skip for me. I'm watching the IGN stream right now, they are showing Bomberman, these games should be some digital download for $20. But I bet they'll sell it for $50 like 1-2 Switch.

The price is too much for the amount of time I'd actually spend with the system as a secondary, combined with a underwhelming list of first party launch games.

I won't pretend I was on the fence but I glanced over it. This package as presented won't convince me to open my wallet at launch.

Raptomex

US players are upset with the price? Isn't the Xbox One and PS4, new, around the same price? Or is this more because of the hardware? Considering it's still a home console AND portable, I don't really see a problem. I can't speak for how pricing works in other countries.

Crazyorloco

You know what's really crazy...if you go to the Nintendo site you'll see the Wii U still there...priced for $300.

When you see that the Nintendo Switch price becomes better lol

If we get the digital version of splatoon for the Wii U...can we play it on the switch? have things like this been answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom