• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
No, you're not. You have the money to get it and it's something you value. The problem is for the rest of us that don't see the value at that price point with the announced features. If Nintendo is looking to sell to their fans then their price point is probably perfect, but for the general market it doesn't seem like a good value.

I find that gamers on boards like NeoGaf are not a good representation of the general market. For instance many people on Gaf seem to dislike the Switch being underpowered and are basing their value on that. The general market may on the other hand see ads and see games like 1 2 Switch on Ellen show and go ga ga for the thing.

G-Bus

Banned
Dont see it flying off the shelves like the Wii but holy crap some people in here are ridiculous

$300 is not a bad price point imo.. sure cheaper is better but this aint no PS3 launch.

azyless

I'm part of the problem.
You're not ! Seems like a lot of people (me included) don't think it's worth that much for whatever reasons, but if you do and you can afford it, no reason to feel bad about it. There are a few games that interest me on that list so I imagine I'll get it somewhere down the line too.

RootCause

Haven't heard anything regarding multiple accounts on one system. Do we know anything about? Also, Will the share functionality be tied to the paid service?

weevles

Price point seems fair--same as the basic Wii U package. Obviously a PS4 or Xbox One S can be had for less, but they aren't offering the same kind of "portable", personal screen experience Switch promises.

Still that conference was terrible. Too many talking heads, not having a lot of software in a showable state, it just felt very rushed and disorganized.

KAL2006

Banned
Dont see it flying off the shelves like the Wii but holy crap some people in here are ridiculous

$300 is not a bad price point imo.. sure cheaper is better but this aint no PS3 launch.

It is

When you add the fact that this system doesn't offer any value.
- Pay for online play is huge when this system isn't likely many peoples primary console
- only 1 NES or SNES game a month and you can't keep it is another joke
- Included JoyCon grip is just a grip and doesn't charge
- Only 32GB Internal Storage is lanes for that price

They should have gone $250 or $300 with a game.

Nintendo systems sell when they are cheap as their demographic are kids and casuals

Wii U was a flop at $300
3DS was a flop with its initial price until it got slashed.

It's obvious Nintendo are price gouging here and basically see how much they can get out of their hardcore fan base before they start slashing prices come holiday when sales slow down.

Raven117

Gold Member
IMO its a good value if its a successor to the 3ds (and there is no 4ds) where I can now play new release zeldas, xenoblade 2, and a new Monster Hunter along with a few other quirky titles during its life span.

If its a successor to the WiiU with a 4DS on the way...I'm going to be PISSED and will trade in the Switch immediately.

BFIB

IMO its a good value if its a successor to the 3ds (and there is no 4ds) where I can now play new release zeldas, xenoblade 2, and a new Monster Hunter along with a few other quirky titles.

If its a successor to the WiiU with a 4DS on the way...I'm going to be PISSED and will trade in the Switch immediately.

Its going to take some time to bear out, I think Nintendo's ultimate goal is to capitalize both markets, home console and portable.

I find that gamers on boards like NeoGaf are not a good representation of the general market. For instance many people on Gaf seem to dislike the Switch being underpowered and are basing their value on that. The general market may on the other hand see ads and see games like 1 2 Switch on Ellen show and go ga ga for the thing.

In other words, Nintendo is hoping to recapture the Wii magic. The problem is that it is impossible to try and intentionally capture that lightning in a bottle. They thought they could do it with the Wii-U and it didn't pan out, why would it work with the Switch. I should note that when I speak about the "general market" I'm talking about the "gaming market" i.e. consumers that play games consistently. The magic of the Wii was getting non-gamers to buy and play the system, but they are not part of the gaming market since many of them saw the Wii as a gimmick and stopped playing games once the fad died or if they do still play prefer Candy Crush on their phone.

The Switch doesn't seem like a good deal for the gaming general market, who knows what the non-gaming general populace will think of it.

Raven117

Gold Member
Its going to take some time to bear out, I think Nintendo's ultimate goal is to capitalize both markets, home console and portable.

Which makes perfect sense...hence why I just purchased my first Nintendo home console since I was given a SNES.

When you include the fact Nintendo has always been primarily about local co-op. Then we look at the exorbitant price of the controllers, other addons and suddenly it effectively becomes the most expensive console for couch co-op on the market.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm there day one.

Sign me up for a neon system. I don't give a fuck. The hyperbole here is too strong.

I'm thinking of the experience. I imagine going home during vacation, pulling this out onto the table, giving my brother a controller and we play Mario Kart together like the old days. Best part? All this is possible right out of the box without the need for an additional controller.

Or the times when I'm in my room playing a great game on the TV and something pops up (quite often it does) such as having to go to a lecture or go travelling and you have to stop the game. No more. Just pull it out and go. I can play full console games on the move.

For me, this is simply an invaluable experience and one i'm not going to miss out on. Sure, the price is iffy and the launch is atrocious but man it's gonna deliver the fun in spades and watching hands on videos has only emphasised that feeling for me.

Roll on March 3rd. :)

Ont

Wii U was a flop at $300
3DS was a flop with its initial price until it got slashed.

I think the great games matter more than the price point. Both Wii U and 3DS did not really have many great games at launch (if any). The fact that the main reason to buy Wii U is now a launch game for Switch is somewhat sad. I remember saying to myself that I would buy Wii U once it has a new Zelda or Metroid Prime. That did not happen so I never bought one

Wii became a phenomenon and people were willing to pay extra just to get their hands on one. I don't think that the price really matters unless it is absurdly high.

NotLiquid

In other words, Nintendo is hoping to recapture the Wii magic. The problem is that it is impossible to try and intentionally capture that lightning in a bottle. They thought they could do it with the Wii-U and it didn't pan out, why would it work with the Switch. I should note that when I speak about the "general market" I'm talking about the "gaming market" i.e. consumers that play games consistently. The magic of the Wii was getting non-gamers to buy and play the system, but they are not part of the gaming market since many of them saw the Wii as a gimmick and stopped playing games once the fad died or if they do still play prefer Candy Crush on their phone.

The Switch doesn't seem like a good deal for the gaming general market, who knows what the non-gaming general populace will think of it.

With the Switch positioning itself with a completely different sell than the likes of PS4 and XBO, while I don't expect the console to sell remotely as well as either (although I'm honestly not sure how much XBO has sold at this point) I think things end up becoming a little broad when defining "general gaming populace", mainly because with all the subsets of casual, hardcore and recreational audiences it's hard to gauge how they respond to a machine that is just as much of a handheld as it is a console. What do audiences think of the handheld element and what kind of audience is it that primarily occupies that base? Can that base be carried over from 3DS or is the portable market a lost cause as well? Will people who prefer home consoles respond well to a console that places an equal focus on gaming on-the-go?

Ultimately at the very core I think the concept of the Switch has it's appeals, and although I might be wrong I want to assume that the positive buzz it received at reveal means that plenty of people would be ready for this kind of play. I would like to hope it does well so that the elements that leave a lot to be desired can be rectified.

Smellycat

I am sure this was mentioned earlier, but I don't want to go back and check lol

Apparently, the Switch is the 4th cheapest console at launch when adjusted for inflation (US price)

When you include the fact Nintendo has always been primarily about local co-op. Then we look at the exorbitant price of the controllers, other addons and suddenly it effectively becomes the most expensive console for couch co-op on the market.

Will depend on the game obviously, but a lot the games they've been showing use two Joycons(one per player). You get two with the system and another set for $80. There might be games down the road that require everone to have a set of Joycons or a Pro controller. I also imagine older controllers will work as well for couch co-op stuff

Coffinhal

Probably unless it bombs so hard they decided to go with a proper handheld in a year or two.

They need to say it properly. Announce that Pokémon and Animal Crossing and Professor Layton and the other handled games will be only available on Switch for the next 4 years. People will understand.

AmyS

You can do local multiplayer gaming with 8 Switch systems, that's pretty awesome.

ebD3qKt.jpg

Rg5Gtot.jpg

This man was on stage:

My greatest desire for Switch is for an HD Remaster of Daytona USA 2, with 8-players sitting together getting drunk, having a total blast.

TWM1nLc.jpg

Nintendo, SEGA and M2, do this, and I will personally buy 4 of those Switches.

...Even if I have to switch to Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in with a preorder on Amazon, but my head keeps saying bail out.

It's not one big thing. It's just a bunch of smaller things, but they appear to be at every turn.

Console isn't super cheap, but not overly expensive. Still would probably need a larger SD card through. Plus other accessories seem redonkulously priced.

Then the paid online, wack one month game deal, having to use the smartphone app ect... appears terrible without further clarification.

Plus beyond the meager launch lineup they didn't exactly try and fill in the gaps with indie games or virtual console games.

Maybe those are coming. Idk. Again I thought yesterday would clarify everything since the launch is like in a month and change.

I like the general hybrid idea, and it would fit my personal life style really well. Plus I want to play Zelda even though I have a Wii U.

I can't say I was disappointed, but they didn't exactly get me hyped to throw down $500 when you add in all of the shit with a game and/or an accessory or two.

It's still doing my head in that the final price of this thing could end up being close to a PS4 Pro if you just want a controller other than the Joy Con or even more and the Switch alone already costs more than the PS4 Uncharted bundle on Amazon. Not to mention they're pulling the same bull shit with a Breath of the Wild as they did Twilight Princess.

You can do local multiplayer gaming with 8 Switch systems, that's pretty awesome.

I live in Finland so finding 8 people with Switch systems is going to be impossible. I know one family with Wii U and the stores haven't cared about that console for almost two years.

And with that price point + the bonus 50 they will add to the price here (as always), paid online and an outrageous price for the pro controller, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that northern parts of Europe will not be a success for Nintendo. To be honest I don't know where this thing will succeed. And that's a shame because I loved the idea of a tablet console.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
I'm really of two minds. I think the *idea* of Switch is amazing, and what we've wanted since the original Gameboy-- being able to play THE SAME games on the go as at home. The way you can play 2 player games by splitting one controller. There are some REALLY amazing ideas here. I feel like Nintendo's execution leaves a lot to be desired, though.

I feel like 1-2-Switch absolutely should've been a pack-in game, like Wii Sports was. I almost feel like that ONE THING would flip a lot of people's minds. It looks like it'd be insanely fun in short bursts, and a great system seller, but my wallet aches at the idea of having to spend $50 for it. (even $250 launch price + unbundled 1-2Switch seems bad-- just the idea of paying for it seems bad) WiiU launched with Nintendoland bundled, why aren't they keeping that tradition going?

I have a pre-order in but I am really on the fence about keeping it. That said, I know I will get it *eventually* and unless this has a 3DS level fiasco at launch (... which it very well might ...) the price may not move for a while anyway. That said I feel like now the system could be nearly DOA unless 1-2-Switch is just mind-numbingly fun and they can get good exposure for it.

So is this the 3ds successor?
I'm seeing conflicting reports.

They're selling the Switch as a console first, but I think this platform is going to replace the handheld too. What might happen in a year or two is they will release a "portable only" version of the Switch that is cheaper, smaller, with better battery life and maybe standard controls instead of joycons to keep costs low. That will officially be the new handheld. It'll play the same games, though.

So is this the 3ds successor?
I'm seeing conflicting reports.

Honestly I think it is going to try to be the focus of Nintendo and 3rd parties to just make games for this and if it bombs possibly go with a 3ds replacement. I am good with a unified single platform for devs to focus on instead of a console and handheld separate market approach.

Do we know what the launch games are? I might have missed it, but it seems like there really wasn't much software available at launch. I'm interested in the switch, but not without games to back it up. Zelda is not enough. At least not for me.

Shahadan

Do we know what the launch games are? I might have missed it, but it seems like there really wasn't much software available at launch. I'm interested in the switch, but not without games to back it up. Zelda is not enough. At least not for me.

Consider yourself not interested then :x

Will depend on the game obviously, but a lot the games they've been showing use two Joycons(one per player). You get two with the system and another set for $80. There might be games down the road that require everone to have a set of Joycons or a Pro controller. I also imagine older controllers will work as well for couch co-op stuff

3146952-2984841855-ninte.png

Baby hand cramp mode is unacceptable for me. Every New Years I got to my friends place who has a Wii and we play wii games. He also has one GC controller and a Pro controller. Everyone essentially draws straws to see who gets stuck with wii-motes. Those were bad enough, and these are like half the size, with a similar format.

C2FVtcuXEAAtKsI.jpg

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
FWQrdDy.jpg

I'm really of two minds. I think the *idea* of Switch is amazing, and what we've wanted since the original Gameboy-- being able to play THE SAME games on the go as at home. The way you can play 2 player games by splitting one controller. There are some REALLY amazing ideas here. I feel like Nintendo's execution leaves a lot to be desired, though.

I feel like 1-2-Switch absolutely should've been a pack-in game, like Wii Sports was. I almost feel like that ONE THING would flip a lot of people's minds. It looks like it'd be insanely fun in short bursts, and a great system seller, but my wallet aches at the idea of having to spend $50 for it. (even $250 launch price + unbundled 1-2Switch seems bad-- just the idea of paying for it seems bad) WiiU launched with Nintendoland bundled, why aren't they keeping that tradition going?

I have a pre-order in but I am really on the fence about keeping it. That said, I know I will get it *eventually* and unless this has a 3DS level fiasco at launch (... which it very well might ...) the price may not move for a while anyway. That said I feel like now the system could be nearly DOA unless 1-2-Switch is just mind-numbingly fun and they can get good exposure for it.

1,2, Switch should absolutely have been packed in. I suspect it will be this holiday and that Nintendo is trying to have their cake and eat it too by selling it separately until then. I think that's a mistake.

The thing about 1,2, Switch is that it's a game that you sort of buy for other people and not yourself. It's something that you will have fun with showing other people. Asking people to buy that is a pretty tough sell.

Haunted

Baby hand cramp mode is unacceptable for me. Every New Years I got to my friends place who has a Wii and we play wii games. He also has one GC controller and a Pro controller. Everyone essentially draws straws to see who gets stuck with wii-motes. Those were bad enough, and these are like half the size, with a similar format.
These just look like possibly the most uncomfortable controllers I've ever seen. SO bad for anyone over the age of 6 or not called Donald Trump.

Coffinhal

They're selling the Switch as a console first, but I think this platform is going to replace the handheld too. What might happen in a year or two is they will release a "portable only" version of the Switch that is cheaper, smaller, with better battery life and maybe standard controls instead of joycons to keep costs low. That will officially be the new handheld. It'll play the same games, though.

Cheaper means 200$ tops

I see that happening though. That makes sense, by then the Switch system will have most of the 1st party Library it deserves.

Otnopolit

While I'm ultimately disappointed in the launch lineup when considering the price, we've all set ourselves up with all the rumors and speculation up to this point. I think for what we're getting, in respects to hardware, $300 is a reasonable price. I just don't think the software is going to carry this thing towards the mainstream.

oti

Banned
I'm part of the problem.
There is no problem. If you believe this purchase will bring you joy the go for it. There is nothing wrong about that.

I don't mind the 330€ the console costs. It's sleek hardware with a great tablet and two amazing, feature-packed controllers. What I do mind is the cost surrounding it. Everything is expensive. Even the dumb dock. There's nothing in that thing. If it at least was smart enough to connect to the Internet on its own, like a Chromecast, and could play YouTube videos or something while playing a game on the tablet, then maybe that would be ok. But $90 for this?

To me it's getting more and more obvious that the development of the Joy-Con must have been suuuuuuper expensive and Nintendo is trying to spread the costs across the entire hardware line-up. Makes sense, but $90 for a dumb dock? Come on.

Probably would've been in for 1 if they had announced a new Animal Crossing. As it stands, Zelda is the only thing that interests me, and I already have a Wii U.

Don't really like the idea of Mario in the real world. Actually kinda hate it. Art design is nice though outside of the city.

Hopefully more interesting games coming in 2018.

Jesus, that's such a weak lineup for 2017.

It's honestly dreadful, and I'm sad to say that. I really wanted the Switch's first year to be great.

I'm fine with the price if there were multiple awesome games available.

jax

Banned

They look much more comfortable than the WiiMote. Especially with the strap attatchment.

Your friend should buy more pro controllers? I assume you're playing smash? So he has a GameCube adapter with only one controller? Weird.

Jesus, that's such a weak lineup for 2017.
That's not the entire 2017 lineup. This is January. E3 and the VGAs are far, far away and will be full of announcements. Stop the hyperbole.

Got my preorder today and I'm super stoked I only have a month and a half wait.

Also got the Breath of the Wild special edition for the sweet case.

Shahadan

Jesus, that's such a weak lineup for 2017. Yet again, almost no notable third-party support.

Where are games like Prey, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Resident Evil 7, Mass Effect, and even Red Dead Redemption 2? This just bugs the hell out of me.

Lol, those aren't coming.

yyr

The Switch is a super Wii that you can take with you. If that idea resonates with people, then the power differences don't matter. A lot of it comes down to how well the fancy new rumble works.

If you think that the general public, by and large, gives a crap about "HD rumble" -- or, for that matter, the majority of the hardcore gaming population! -- sorry, but odds are that you are mistaken. I personally am willing to bet that 1) it's actually really awesome and that 2) nobody will care. That is not why someone rushes out to spend $400+ on a console and a couple of games.

Tons of people are happy to pay north of 600 bucks for a phone that is essentially the same as the one they paid 600 bucks for 2 years ago, with a few tweaks.

You do realize that many of the people doing that are not actually paying all at once, right? They pay $20-30 a month to their cell phone company until the thing is paid off. And then, they get another new phone...

I wish I could go back in time and slap the shit out of the guy at Microsoft that came up with the idea of paying to play online.

You know what? As an XBLIG developer I can tell you that Xbox Live is extremely well-designed, and allows developers to add online features to their games with almost no effort at all. You add a few lines of code and XBL handles matchmaking automatically. Leaderboards, Achievements, voice chat, other features are all handled almost automatically. All of this is powered by huge banks of servers all dedicated to the purpose. Developers don't even need to run any servers, and they have online play in their games. This is why you can still play Dead or Alive 4, or Ridge Racer 6, or any of the other Xbox 360 launch games online, and why you'll be able to continue doing so until MS shuts down Live on 360 entirely (which is unlikely anytime soon due to how popular BC is).

You think it costs nothing to run all of those servers? You think that Microsoft's massive developer-friendly efforts shouldn't be compensated? I have paid for Xbox Live for 11 years and will continue to do so, because I believe it's worth every penny. Will Nintendo's network service be worth paying for? Who knows? We barely know anything about it yet!

I'll say it again Portable screen

Also Mario this holiday.

A $100 Android tablet has a portable screen. And guess what? You'll be able to play Super Mario Run on it!

The casual market for dedicated game consoles is finished, done. They are playing games on tablets and phones now. Switch is an underpowered, overpriced home console, plus an overpriced dedicated gaming portable.

I know Super Mario Odyssey looks sweet. Yeah, I'll want to play it. And you know what? I eventually will...on a PlayStation or an Xbox. Quote me if you want to. If Nintendo doesn't start actually listening to the market, that's what's coming next. Unless...

I don't think a company can make significant changes 6 weeks before launch because everything is usually set in stone but Nintendo needs to drop the price to $249.99 and include 1, 2, Switch with the system or it is going to fail.

This is exactly how I feel. Better to admit your mistake and fix it now than to wait until January 2018, when the holidays have passed and Switch is sitting at 2 million sold, try for a 3DS-style emergency price drop, and then realize that it's already too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom