• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So the Switch is essentially a weak home console and one the most powerful portable handhelds around at the same time? I'm so conflicted on how I should manage my expectations with this thing.

saskuatch

BTW, why does Japan have to wait until Jan 21 to preorder the Switch? Why couldn't they do it now like everyone else?

Ask Nintendo, all I said was it is cheapest in Japan...........I would wait till February 21st to pre-order if I could get 70 bucks off lol. I got kathleen wynn electricity bills to pay.

I don't know when I'll get one, but I definitely want one.

I feel things about it that I didn't about WiiU at all.

I never got a WiiU.

So... I'll be one sale Nintendo picks up this gen. I was really hoping for more announcements, but honestly zelda, mario, arms, and what should be a pretty steady array of once handheld exclusive content... I think this little thing could be big.

So the Switch is essentially a weak home console and one the most powerful portable handhelds around at the same time? I'm so conflicted on how I should manage my expectations with this thing.

The expectation should be "it has these games from Nintendo and their software partners" and "it lets you play those games however you want, both on your big screen and on the go."

Modulate your expectations based on the value of the content and experiences and less so based on spec measurements and comparisons.

IrishNinja

What I am addressing is a general attitude especially since the Wii, to poo-poo the whole idea of having a system that is comparable power wise to modern systems. Nintendo quit trying in the home console space years ago.

no, they quit trying to appease your desires, and given the number of people on here who had a hard time accepting the wii was the same gen as 360/PS3 (some still do) i imagine your'e not alone there, but that's not to say those of us who have known roughly what to expect from them for over a decade now agree with that sentiment, fortunately.

and that argument is no more tired than those lazy football fallacy images.

ATF487

300 does seem high. I was hoping it would be 200 or 250 considering the portable situation (mediocre battery life, underclocking of processor) but I still find this to be a more desirable device than the Wii U.

Paid online is a gamble though, they better fucking bring it.

saskuatch

300 does seem high. I was hoping it would be 200 or 250 considering the portable situation (mediocre battery life, underclocking of processor) but I still find this to be a more desirable device than the Wii U.

It is definitely better than the Wii U as hardware goes, but that's not saying much. I do like that it does not seem like a fisher price toy anymore but an actual piece of good tech.

Illucio

Banned
I have my preorder at best buy for the colored joycon version but I'm having huge doubts after all this news we've been receiving.

For every 1 good reason I have buying the Switch I have at least 2 cons to counteract it.

But Pokemon is going to be on this machine from here on out so should that be my sole reason?

Vena

BTW, why does Japan have to wait until Jan 21 to preorder the Switch? Why couldn't they do it now like everyone else?

Supply issues/control probably. By limiting pre-orders to some regions at a time with some buffer between them, they can better gauge and address demand spreads.

Nintendo generally has a harder time meeting unexpected demand internationally than at home. This in mind, they likely have #X consoles (this numbers should be roughly 2 million for the launch window into March, the end of their Fiscal Year) available in current planning, and have section of Y% of it and opened western pre-orders. As these sell out, they shift more and more into the Y% and leave less and less into a Z%.

When pre-order surge has stabilized in the west, they will re-allocate the remainder Z% to Japan and, if that demand is exceeded, they have an easier time getting more stock to their domestic market.

At this point, I feel like Nintendo should have just released a separate home console and portable version of this system. The games would work on both but just look better on the home console. It would kind of be like the PS4 and PS4 Pro situation but with one being portable.
That way they could have launched both at a much cheaper price than the Switch costs since and it seems like most people view this console as one or the other anyways. So they could have just bought whichever they prefer at a nice cheap price that would look more competitive versus the other consoles.

I'll still buy this but I'm going to play it 90% of the time as a home console so I would have preferred a cheap price that didn't need a dock and all the stuff that makes it do both just like the people that want to use it as a portable are paying extra for all the stuff to make it a home console.

KAL2006

Banned

R&D costs
4000 range battery which is large for a portable at this size
2x 500 range batteries for each JoyCon
HD Rumble and Gyros for each JoyCon
Sensor for 1 JoyCon
Dock
JoyCon Grip which is a bit of plastic I guess
2x JoyCon Straps, more plastic
720p capacitive screen, looks better than budget Tablet screens
Maxwell Architecture with a fan
32GB Internal Memory

Looking at the old 32GB NVidia Shield TV, which is much larger and comes with a remote and controller. That was sold for $200. All the extras and adding portability factor and the design of this thing. I think they could have released it for $250. But it's the UK price that's the worse. Yes Brexit has changed things but £280 is ridiculous.

RRP PS4 price is £250 in comparison to $300, so it should have been that price at the least here in the UK

Stick a fork in it.
CvN_XhFXEAAXOuJ.jpg

Boke1879

I talked a lot of shit, but I still put in a preorder on amazon simply because there is no risk. No money down and I can cancel anytime before release if I want.

But yea..real talk. Zelda would be the only title I get and $300 dollars for one game really has me wavering ya know? I mean you have to wait a month for Mario Kart and all we know is Splatoon is coming in the summer.

It just seems like this console should have been pushed back until then.

WadeitOut

Why would anyone buy an additional dock though? There is nothing proprietary about how it works. You can just buy the necessary cables for a third of the cost.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How the fuck do we not know if the triggers are analog or not yet? So many people have gone hands-on and I haven't heard anything yet.

Also, not that it's really important, but have we figured out whether it's maxwell or Pascal yet?

jackdoe

So, maybe this has been answered already, but will the Switch have suspend/resume features? For docked mode? I mean, I would assume that the function will be there for handheld mode, and I don't see any reason why they would disable it when you're docked.

A $100 Android tablet has a portable screen. And guess what? You'll be able to play Super Mario Run on it!

The casual market for dedicated game consoles is finished, done. They are playing games on tablets and phones now. Switch is an underpowered, overpriced home console, plus an overpriced dedicated gaming portable.

I know Super Mario Odyssey looks sweet. Yeah, I'll want to play it. And you know what? I eventually will...on a PlayStation or an Xbox. Quote me if you want to. If Nintendo doesn't start actually listening to the market, that's what's coming next. Unless...

$100 Android tablet with Mario Run is the lamest counter argument I've seen. So does the switch compete with PS4 or $100 tablets?

Sweet jesus the Nintendo is going 3rd party line.

I don't think the Switch is Nintendo's next Wii or anything, but the level of vitriol being displayed in this thread is laughable.

I guess my perspective is slanted, because I bought a Wii for my kids, I skipped Wii U and the Switch interests me personally.

I won't buy it at launch, but I will get one and I think it could possibly get a price drop or at least a bundle next holiday that will sell well.

bumpkin

My local GameStop still had Switches left for preorder just before they closed tonight. I live in a relatively small town though, so maybe that's why. Everyone I've talked to who lives in more populated areas said their stores sold out.

I've got my preorder locked in, though I'll tell you, I am mostly excited about the hardware and its potential. I'm not very excited about the launch game lineup aside from Zelda, though.

Oare

all I said was it is cheapest in Japan...

Only if you're importing, though.

The Switch is ~32,400 yen with tax (exactly the same price as a PS4).
As an average Japan-based consumer, that doesn't feel particularly cheap; you can't judge the perceived price of an item for a given population simply by looking at the exchange rate.
You Canadians have more disposable income than equivalent Japanese consumers, so the impact of a 32,000 purchase on a household here will be greater than a CAD 370 purchase would be for you.

kunonabi

I really liked the Wii (for the games that were released later on in its life span).

Will Nintendo EVER go back to making regular consoles and give up the gimmick shit? Can't they just make a fucking Game Cube 2.0 ?

The GC was the weakest Nintendo's ever been as far as their 1st-party output goes and if it wasn't for Capcom and a couple other publishers it would have been total waste with the third-party stuff too. Not replicating the GC is a good thing.

IrishNinja

You know what? As an XBLIG developer I can tell you...
I know Super Mario Odyssey looks sweet. Yeah, I'll want to play it. And you know what? I eventually will...on a PlayStation or an Xbox. Quote me if you want to. If Nintendo doesn't start actually listening to the market, that's what's coming next..

everytime, like clockwork

LoL, remember the reaction to US $399 for PS4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRv5BoDO1yQ

we did it here for that, WU, 3DS, Vita (especially memory cards), and a bunch of stuff i'm forgetting

we'll do it again when sony/MS/whoever want more for things too i figure

Only if you're importing, though.

The Switch is ~32,400 yen with tax (exactly the same price as a PS4).
As an average Japan-based consumer, that doesn't feel particularly cheap; you can't judge the perceived price of an item for a given population simply by looking at the exchange rate.
You Canadians have more disposable income than equivalent Japanese consumers, so the impact of a 32,000 purchase on a household here will be greater than a CAD 370 purchase would be for you.

Do you have a source for this or are you just guessing? Because according to this website Japan has more than Canada
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=105

Socivol

After seeing the games I think this is way overpriced. I say that because the games look like something that can be done on the Wii U that I already own. I feel that Nintendo hasn't been a graphics powerhouse in a while, but each console represented a decent leap graphically. I thought that Splatoon 2 was the Wii U version when watching the reveal last night.

Wanderer5

I keep going back and forth, but I think in the end I will wait out till around the holiday to get more info and see how the first year goes and upcoming. Will likely check out Zelda on WiiU then.

VICI0US

Traded in my OG ps4 that's just been sitting around since i bought a pro to gamestop for $200. Only $99 for the switch. Good deal.

Zampano

Price of console is fine. Accessories and line up are the problems. I'll pick one up at Christmas probably. Just no need to jump in at launch.

Shengar

Small to middle sized developers in Japan that usually releasing games for PSP and 3DS don't have anywhere else to go except Switch. I don't think we have to worry about 3rd party support this time.

King Kye

Banned
People still in denial that Nintendo could have a third-party future, despite the last 5 years, are funny to see.

Investors don't care about war chests.

Shengar

When you include the fact Nintendo has always been primarily about local co-op. Then we look at the exorbitant price of the controllers, other addons and suddenly it effectively becomes the most expensive console for couch co-op on the market.

Switch already playable for two people out of the box when MK8 available. When you buy an extra joycon bundle, you just add two more people from a single purchase. Compared it to my Wii U where I have to buy 2 pro controller and 1 Wiimote+Wii pro controller for a grand total of $150, Switch is much cheaper.

Switch already playable for two people out of the box when MK8 available. When you buy an extra joycon bundle, you just add two more people from a single purchase. Compared it to my Wii U where I have to buy 2 pro controller and 1 Wiimote+Wii pro controller for a grand total of $150, Switch is much cheaper.

No offense but I find playing on this? To be unacceptable.

joycon3.jpg

That's hand cramp city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom