• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

valouris

Quick question. Is the AC adapter included in the box, the cable that connects the dock to the wall, or is it to power the tablet when it is undocked?

DieH@rd

Banned
1484315804-prix-micromania-nintendo-switch-accessoires.jpg

Are they serious with their prices ????

55€ ONE JOYCON ?

Nintendo really live in their world, they will fall hard

As expected, EU customers got shafted again.

guek

Banned
This thing aint cheap. i can see why the cost would be a hurdle, but if the experience actually delivers, I'd say it'll be worth it. Carrying a home console experience around with you is something I think is worth a lot. It's pricey but within my acceptable price range.

Gale007

Is that a wired or wireless controller?

Not sure if wired or wireless and nothing is up on hori's website just yet, but I'll keep looking around. Also a bit curious on the rules of cross posting question, because I'm wondering if I should just ask in the more active threads to see if someone else may know but Idk if that'd count as "post spamming" or something.

Arex

sadface :(

The Switch's gonna end up more expensive than a PS4 in my country, and more so if I also buy all the additional accessories.
With that price, I can't really justify getting it as companion console to my recently bought PS4 yet.. as much as I want to jump in. Gotta wait till the inevitable price drop I suppose :\

watershed

Banned
The system looks very sleek and its crazy that all the hardware is in that small tablet. Issues aside, the Switch looks like a damn fine system.

Oare

Do you have a source for this or are you just guessing? Because according to this website Japan has more than Canada
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=105

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/income/

Canada:
Household net adjusted disposable income
30474 USD
8 / 38
"In Canada, the average household net adjusted disposable income per capita is USD 30 474 a year, higher than the OECD average of USD 29 016."

Japan:
Household net adjusted disposable income
27323 USD
15 / 38
"In Japan, the average household net adjusted disposable income per capita is USD 27 323 a year, lower than the OECD average of USD 29 016."

There are plenty of other sources, as long as you search for values in purchasing power parity (but the OECD Better Life Index in and of itself seems like a relevant enough source to me).

KAL2006

Banned
Well sure except the Shield TV doesn't have anywhere near Nintendo's volume and has no software revenue and doesn't have anywhere near Nintendo's retail distribution so basically nothing about the economics should be the same.

Also Shield TV doesn't charge for online play

BriGuy

I've got a feeling that early Switch owners are going to get a handful of "free" NES/SNES games as part of another ambassador program. With the current price of the console, accessories, and dearth of titles in 2017, this thing is going to languish in retail after the initial crop of Nintendo diehards get their hands on it. I fully expect it to be priced $249 (or possibly $229) by the holiday season.

Doczu

I fully expect it to be priced $249 (or possibly $229) by the holiday season.
That would be fantastic. Not only realistically priced, but with a good library to jump in.
Panic mode Nintendo is best Nintendo. They did a sound 180 with the 3DS with the discount and a great lineup of games and they probably will do it with the Switch aswell.
I just can't justify the price of the console, the horribly overpriced accessories and almost non existing games (both first and third party).
And before anyone tells the controllers and stuff are expensive because of the tech inside - i don't care. I'm not going to drop at least 110€ for a set of joy-cons to play some multiplayer games. This was meant for a family friendly console for multiplayer sessions, but this is getting way to expensive to jump in at launch.

Oh and regarding the power of the Switch - now that i think about it, this performance would be great for a home console when Wii U launched, 5 years ago.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I guess I didn't realize this...unless you buy a special controller, this system has no D-pad?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
During the conference they said that "major European countries" will get it March 3rd. What does that mean? When will the rest get it? Is Sweden a "major" country? I'm gonna be fucking furious if we have to wait longer. Sure, I could import in that case, but then I won't have it day 1.

EDIT: Ok, Nintendo's Swedish site does say that it's releasing March 3rd here. Wonder what countries aren't getting it that date.

Doczu

During the conference they said that "major European countries" will get it March 3rd. What does that mean? When will the rest get it? I'm gonna be fucking furious if we here in Sweden have to wait longer. Sure, I could import in that case, but then I won't have it day 1.
I'm 99% sure that countries without an official Nintendo distributor will have to import online or wait.

KooopaKid

Banned
Poor Nintendo fan trying to rationalize here:

2012 Wii U VS 2017 Nintendo Switch

Launch:
349€ Wii U Deluxe Edition with Nintendoland VS 399€ Nintendo Switch with Zelda Breath of the Wild

Games I was/am interested:

First year:
New Super Mario Bros. U (Launch)
Pikmin 3 (8 months later)
Rayman Legends (9 months later)
Wind Waker HD (11 months later)
Super Mario 3D World (12 months later)
NES Remix (13 months later)

VS

Snipperclips (Launch)
Arms (5 months later) (Not convinced yet)
Rime (5 months later) (Not convinced yet)
Splatoon 2 (6 months later)
Super Mario Odyssey (9 months later)

Second year:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Feb)
Mario Kart 8 (May)
Pushmo World (June)
Bayonetta 2 (Sept)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nov)

VS

?

Third year:
Splatoon (May)
Yoshi's Woolly World (July)
Super Mario Maker (September)

VS

?

What do you think?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Console and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild I have now pre-ordered.

SeanR1221

So if you wanted to play 8 player smash, you're spending

300 for the systems
70x7 (490) for the extra controllers
And 60 for the game.

That's a spicy 850.00 meatball.

saskuatch

It's gonna suck breaking a joy con and having to shell out so much for another one. I am hoping third parties make basic joy con versions that dont have HD rumble or fancy motion controls for people who don't give a fuck.

Doczu

300 for the systems
And 60 for the game.

Even if they allow the gamecube adapter to work it will still be a pricy experience...

This year's lineup, if Xenoblade 2 is confirmed (probably not), looks like one of the best ever by Nintendo. And they are showing love for new IP's again, wich is something I still find hard to believe.

KooopaKid

Banned
This year's lineup, if Xenoblade 2 is confirmed (probably not), looks like one of the best ever by Nintendo. And they are showing love for new IP's again, wich is something I still find hard to believe.

Better than Wii U at least, particularly if Nintendo shows more 2017 games at E3.
They should have shown at least logos of every 2017 titles IMO. (Or maybe that's it for 2017?)

Man there's too many Switch threads i don't know where to post my thoughts after letting this sink in!

I wasn't really excited for this. Ports of games I already own or sequels with the same gameplay had me soured from the rumours days a few months ago. But, i've been a huge fan of Nintendo games since i first played Super Mario Bros 3 at a mates house, when I was about 9 I guess. I own all their systems since, and pretty much all their timeless, classic games and of course I enjoyed them a lot as well. So i remained hopeful something they'd pull out of the bag would interest me, so yeah i'm not embarrassed to say i was still excited to see what they were going to deliver.

The thing that interests me the most is ARMS. An entirely new IP with a cool extension of a simple boxing concept to make something that looks to be quite unique and really fun to play quickly and casually. I'm assuming there's some depth to it's modes to justify it's typical 5980Y though, otherwise i'd have expected it to be around the price of something like Rocket League.

1-2-Switch has been great. Or rather, i should say the videos of people acting like complete idiots with that look of "Yeahhh.... I don't think i'll ever want to play this again" on their face have given me much amusement. And i think that's about all the enjoyment i'd ever get from the game, so that'll do me just fine. Maybe if i feel like playing any of the included minigames i could just imagine doing half of them some time.

Mario .. yeah ok, of course it's going to play great and be super creative. But, i'm sick of Mario. Playing great will have me play through it in a few days like the last few, enjoy my time and shelve it since it's just the same kind of stuff in a different environment with slightly altered physics and controls. At least 3D World had the co-op - which was and still is quite unique amongst that kind of game - which i did enjoy with my wife for some time. I'm not saying i want that again though since i've played that already too.

Zelda .. yeah ok, of course it's going to play great and be super creative. But, i'm sick of Zelda. Well i thought i was until I played Links Awakening (long overdue) and A Link Between Worlds, both on 3DS. What I like about 2D Zelda is the compact level design that at least makes wandering around enjoyable instead of a time consuming bore. I hated Skyward Sword, not because of difficulty with the motion controls but because they reduced the game to tedious combat where before, Zelda enemies were "nuisances". That's not to say i really want another 2D Zelda either, since I haven't played through Minish or Oracle games neither, I could just play those if i had any real desire.

Mario Kart... There doesn't seem to be any confirmation of actual new courses. If there isn't, especially at 5980Y, i'll be pretty shocked. The DLC for 8 was some of the best value around, and so to skimp on new courses here and paywall them behind a damn new machine (instead of more DLC) is just fucking wrong. Battle fucking mode, woopdidoo. I played that like half my childhood on SNES and N64... I was sick of it by then.

Splatoon 2... I like the first game because it was something incredibly fresh and appealing, but truth be told I haven't really ended up playing it as much as i hoped. Online kinda devolved for me into a game of "you're lucky if you end up on the good team".

Those last two, now i'll have to pay if i want to play them online? Yeah sorry, i've played them online already and got bored.

And now a recap, with stepped up negativity.

ARMS. A game i could play on my Wii U perfectly fine. Release a damn Twin Stick peripheral like Sega Saturn if you want, that's cool.

1-2-No fucking chance

Mario. A game i could play on my Wii U perfectly fine, stale old shit.

Zelda. A game i can play on my Wii U in 6 weeks, stale old shit. The guys on Gamexplain referred to this as "the real system seller for me". What in the fuck? I have good news moron, YOU HAVE A SYSTEM THAT PLAYS IT ALREADY!

Mario Kart. A game i can play on my Wii U fucking now. At least i would, if i wasn't bored to death of that shit already.

Splatoon. A game i can play on my Wii U fucking now. I kinda don't want to though

Even when it's free to play online.

I don't give a damn shit about their hardware. Does anyone have any clue what they're doing here? They're playing a gambling game with all of their fans' money. The Wii U was a total failure and now, they're asking us to buy them back into this generation. The Wii U, was underpowered junk when it released in 2012. The PS4 (thankfully i have one of these too) released in 2013, and will most likely outlast the Switch when all is said and done.

Freaking $299? And people are like, comparing it to the PS4 and XB1 price now, as if it's bad. It is bad, but that shit isn't $299, and i'm not talking about the overpriced accessories and online. I'm talking about the other $299 - the price I paid for my Wii U that could play all of these games if not for it being the unceremoniously dumped failure it is, reduced to a door stopper for the last year or so and from March 3 forevermore.

I get it - there's literally no way they could just keep putting out Wii U games. But i'll be damned if i'm gonna spend any amount of money on new tech that can barely scrape past its performance, made all the more obvious by the fact that half the games they're showcasing for Switch ARE Wii U games.

I don't really care about the graphics, i don't need them to put out a PS4 level system - Wii U level is fine for me. Which is exactly why it burns so hard that i have a perfectly capable system about to rot away into insignificance. They don't need a PS4 level system - shit like Rise of the Tomb Raider still coming out on XB360, going back a bit MGSV etc. These games run look and fine enough but they only exist because enough people own those machines that it makes it worthwhile for developers to make them.

The PS4, the XB1 - they have games. Third party games, first/second party games, exclusive games and cross platform games. People choose one or the other based on which games they want to play are on whichever system has them. So that's mostly the first party and exclusives - the third party games, it's there whichever way you go really, you're covered. You may miss out on one or two games you wanted on the other platform or you may just buy the other platform if you want it that bad.

Nintendo - they have virtually none of those games. You buy exclusive (at least until they get ported to 3ds) first/second party games and everything else is trash tier (old) ports or a sea of shovelware indie junk on the eShop.

Switch is exactly the same shit as before. Fifa, NBA, they'll be ports of systems gone by and gone in a year or two probably. Skyrim, which version is it? Who cares, it's old whatever it is. Street Fighter 2? The "HD" one? On an analogue only controller (or +$70 or so depending on your poison). With some palette swaps. For $40, what is that twice the price it came out for 10 years ago? My god leave this games' legacy alone. Rayman.. well maybe this time it'll stay exclusive huh. Lego? Did the space time continuum collapse when the Wii U died and we started going back in time to the Wii U launch?

Anyone buying this a Switch at launch is freaking out of their mind. Even if you want their pathetic "combined might of Nintendo's developers" year of announced games - this has price drop before Christmas written all over it. (And you'll probably score some freebie doubles of those NES & SNES games you own again too!).

It's really not hard to please people Nintendo, here, try this.

Release a box, it's called the "Nintendo In", it plays games inside your house. It's about the PS4 level (in spec and even HD space!) and priced about the same so people don't feel like they're getting ripped buying ancient and insufficient tech. So you don't fucking alienate the rest of the world's developers and in turn, get the other games that people require to have reason enough to purchase the system.

It comes with a fucking plain controller, like you sell separately at the moment, just like the other consoles. So you don't fucking alienate the rest of the world's developers and in turn, get the other games that people require to have reason enough to purchase the system. So you don't fucking confuse the living shit out of even the hardcore on this forum which damn accessories they need to plunk down cash for.

Oh but you want to sell some fucking accessories Nintendo?
Release wireless NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube controllers that connect to the "Nintendo In".
Hint: People bought (or tried to) your trash tier trinket box of forever 30 (yes, i know) roms just cause it looked like the old one.
Release NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube games at a fast pace, that can be played with their respective controllers on the Nintendo box.
Price them accordingly and let suckers who've bought them multiple times already get them for free.
Promise that shit will carry forward to Nintendo box 2, 3 ... well assuming there will be one of those... in the future.

You announce this console by presenting it with a calendar - it has 12 months, not 4 quarters.
In each of the months, you place several games that people actually want, that you will actually release in those months.
Probably you'll want those games to be games that no one has played before or can play on another system. And don't worry, they can still be innovative even using that regular old controller! Turns out it's the games that matter not the controller.

Release a handheld called the "Nintendo Out". It plays games outside your house mostly. It's somewhere around Vita spec, since you killed that already and well, there's not much point in packing it full of tech, pricing it out of the market and killing the battery life and thus it's reason for existing.

It has 2 screens - one is a touch screen, that snaps off and can play single screen touch only Android or IOS games, and fits in your pocket.
It costs about $150.

Release Gameboy, GBA, DS & 3DS (now in 2D, again!) games at a fast pace.
Price them accordingly and let suckers who've bought them multiple times already get them for free.
Promise that shit will carry forward to Nintendo box 2, 3 ... well assuming there will be one of those... in the future.

You announce this console by presenting it with a calendar - it has 12 months, not 4 quarters.
In each of the months, you place several games that people actually want, that you will actually release in those months.
Probably you want a new Pokemon and a new Monster Hunter game in the first few. They should probably be games you can't buy on and are significantly different from those released on "Nintendo In". You know, handheld games - games well suited to being played on a handheld.

Oh and you can safely assume these hypothetical systems would either have free online or feature parity at cost! YAY
R&D costs of my afternoon's thought process wouldn't have ended up with having to charge you all $90 for an extra dock either!

Nintendo: you try and sell your own, unique and overpriced hardware to me with this cock and bull story of needing it so you can innovate with fucking retreads of last years games. I don't believe you. Plenty of others and sometimes even yourself have proven that innovative games don't have to be reliant on the fucking machine they're being played on. As a long time Nintendo fan - 13th January is the day you broke me! Go third party already.

And with that, have at me GAF!

Osakadon

This is a portable system and many people would be just as happy to only play this as a portable. If Nintendo released a set that was just the base Switch system minus the dock and joy-con grip it would be $180.00.

Remove dock: - $89.99
Remove Joy-Con Charging Grip: - -$29.99

Total $119.98 savings.

hJmDSRe.jpg

Leave it up to people if they want it to be a home system or not. As it stands so far, I don't think there are any experiences that can only be had while the Switch is docked. Give people the choice how they want to enjoy the Switch. But don't force an expensive dock on people that don't care or have any desire to use it.

How did Japan react to the presentation?

I'm in Japan, does that count? See above. I didn't even touch on everything bad though, jesus! I forgot to mention that their announcement shouldn't have developers who sketched something the night before for their game they haven't started yet, and Sega legends unless they're developing F-Fucking-Zero again!

Trago

I wonder if they'll quickly drop the price like they did with the 3DS if this console doesn't take off initially.

I'd also hope that they one day release a handheld only version or a TV only version of the Switch ala PSTV to make things much cheaper.

$300 seems like much, especially since the software isn't there, and won't be for quite some time.

Nerazar

300 for the systems
And 60 for the game.

How much would it cost to play an 8 player game on PS4 or XBO? oô

I mean, I like the possibility of having 8 players around me, but inflating the numbers just because it's possible doesn't help much.

So for playing Smash with 2 players, you probably pay the base console and the game since the joycons are 2 separate controllers. And then you would need to buy 3 x 90€ for the rest and you're set somehow. Then you just need the Hori charger and you're good.

Not that 8 player local multiplayer happens every day in every situation...

I think the most realistic assumption would be for gamers to get the base console, a pro controller and a game for 2 player splitscreen core games. That's pricey as well, but buying a PS4 with 3 extra controllers is also not very cheap, especially at launch.

This is a portable system and many people would be just as happy to only play this as a portable. If Nintendo released a set that was just the base Switch system minus the dock and joy-con grip it would be $180.00.

Total $119.98 savings.

hJmDSRe.jpg

Leave it up to people if they want it to be a home system or not. As it stands so far, I don't think there are any experiences that can only be had while the Switch is docked. Give people the choice how they want to enjoy the Switch. But don't force an expensive dock on people that don't care or have any desire to use it.
I was thinking the same thing why they didnt make 2 bundle , one bundle with the docks and another without

Orbis

Total $119.98 savings.

The dock does not cost $90 to produce, unless it is made of gold. I wouldn't read into their separate (greedy) pricing for what is essentially a USB dock which provides power and HDMI.

Also, the joy con charging grip is not included. There is a non charging version included which is essentially a piece of plastic.

Your $120 of savings is probably closer to $10-15.

Trevelyan

Banned
Regarding the Joycons. Could I buy an extra set to use while docked so I don't have to remove the ones on the Switch itself? I'd definitely prefer to go that route if possible.

coughlanio

How much would it cost to play an 8 player game on PS4 or XBO? oô

I mean, I like the possibility of having 8 players around me, but inflating the numbers just because it's possible doesn't help much.

So for playing Smash with 2 players, you probably pay the base console and the game since the joycons are 2 separate controllers. And then you would need to buy 3 x 90€ for the rest and you're set somehow. Then you just need the Hori charger and you're good.

Not that 8 player local multiplayer happens every day in every situation...

I think the most realistic assumption would be for gamers to get the base console, a pro controller and a game for 2 player splitscreen core games. That's pricey as well, but buying a PS4 with 3 extra controllers is also not very cheap, especially at launch.

I wouldn't like to play Smash with a single JoyCon :/

I'll be interested to see how the pricing goes with regards to the mass market. There are certainly different expectations for price on a hardcore video gaming forum vs what is acceptable to the general public. Anecdotal but when I explained the concept to a non-gamer and said it may cost 250-300 (prior to reveal), they looked at me and thought I was crazy for predicting anything less than 400 because of how much phones and (some) tablets cost. I was honestly surprised by the reaction and had to explain how much game consoles generally cost. Now obviously the Switch doesn't have tablet and phone features (no known apps yet), but I wonder if there is already a set price expectation from the general public when viewing the tablet form factor...unsure the mass market will see the $300 price point as unappealing as some view it here. We will see.

Osakadon

Either way my point stands. Clearly they are advertising to the world that the dock and maybe to a lesser extent the grip are worth a hefty sum of money. So even if it isn't the full $90 to produce whey are saying that is the value of the product. Any person would think, well I just would rather have those items left out and have a lower price tag.

Didn't we have a report that said the dock was basically HDMI pass-through plus extra cooling? What the heck is going on in that unit that costs $90?

If they had been like 20 or $25, I would definitely have bought more than one.

nubbe

This is a portable system and many people would be just as happy to only play this as a portable. If Nintendo released a set that was just the base Switch system minus the dock and joy-con grip it would be

Remove dock: -
Remove Joy-Con Charging Grip: - -

Total savings.

hJmDSRe.jpg

I imagine they will offer a value pack around christmas
now they are doing the right thing by targeting the early adopters that wants everything

Didn't we have a report that said the dock was basically HDMI pass-through plus extra cooling? What the heck is going on in that unit that cost $90?

If they had been like 20 or $25, I would definitely have bought more than one.

Yeah the controller prices I have been able to swallow mostly (except I think they should include the non charging version of the grip with every joycon package)..that dock price, though ugh. I was literally prepared to buy one or two docks to place at my mom's and brother's homes because I thought they wouldn't cost anymore than 40-50 bucks (hoped for ~30). Now I'll just wait for the holidays for a dock and hope the price crashes for it.

My problem is that the software lineup screams home console ONLY. I want a mix of home console games and games that look like significantly upgraded 3ds titles. You can tell Nintendo thinks of this as a home console that is also portable on occasion instead of the opposite. It's a real strategic error.

On a side note, Why not get some Vita ports to round out the launch somewhat?

Yamauchi

Banned
I've never pre-ordered a game system online before (always just lined up at Walmart or Target). GameStop has pre-orders for the Switch available now -- it says "Pre-order Ships 3/3/2017." So does this mean I'll be getting the system a few days after it releases?

It seems like it might be better for me to just line up and try to get one launch night, especially since that is the beginning of a weekend.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Total $119.98 savings.

- The bundled grip isn't the $30 charging one. Just a plastic shell. There aren't any listings for a stand alone in charging first party grip, but gamestop has some third party ones at $15.

-keep in mind these things aren't expensive to make. Nintendo is price gouging the hell out of accessories, with the dock and charger grip being the worst offender.

If it was just the table and joy cons they'd probably price it at $230-250.

Anyway, I get their approach. Many in the west are like me and don't care for off tv gaming. Many in the east only do mobile and portable. Others do both. They're trying to appeal to all segments with one device.

I think they'd have been better off with a separate console and portable that shared game cards/libraries personally. They'd be cheaper for people who don't want both and have less design compromises due to not having to work both ways.

I've never pre-ordered a game system online before (always just lined up at Walmart or Target). GameStop has pre-orders for the Switch available now -- it says "Pre-order Ships 3/3/2017." So does this mean I'll be getting the system a few days after it releases?

It seems like it might be better for me to just line up and try to get one launch night, especially since that is the beginning of a weekend.

I dunno about Gamestop but Amazon is promising that mine will ship March 1st and arrive March 3rd.

~Cross~

Total $119.98 savings.

hJmDSRe.jpg

The dock probably costs like 5-10 dollars to manufacture and the what you get in the switch box isnt the charge grip, its a piece of plastic that holds the two things together that proably costs like 2 bucks to make.

No way would they release a standalone switch for less than two hundred. Not even for $250 ( at least for launch), More like $280 at least and they would be making less money per system than the normal package.

quick question guys. do you think it will possible to put the dock horizontally and just push the tablet in? I don't think I have a lot of space left for the dock to be vertical, specially when I have toddlers touching everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom