• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so the Wii wasn't about "video games played on a TV using physical controls on a handheld device"?

Also, the very first iteration of the Famicom back in 1983 had a damn microphone built directly into controller 2.
Useless gimmicks have always been part of Nintendo's DNA.

And since you mention optional accessories, Famicom 3D System says hi.

Damn Nintendo for forcing that gimmicky d-pad upon me!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
OK here's another question for you. With how DRY it's been for Wii U from Nintendo themselves, what the hell have they been doing with their studios for these past few years?

I would think they would have prepared their launch lineup more.

I agree, the launch lineup is weak. It's blatantly "Buy this if you want Zelda."

But it's clear where a lot of their development has gone: Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, 1,2, Switch, and ARMS. Some of their development has shifted to mobile, but not a lot. We don't know what the Miitomo / Tomodachi team is up to.

That leaves a few big teams in question: Retro, HAL Labs, Next LEVEL Games, and Intelligent Systems. I'm guessing they are all working on Switch stuff, and we'll see a big shift away from 3DS at E3.

IDK, it's still early days for the Switch. A lot remains to be seen, and I think it's far too soon to judge the system.

LordKano

People do realize that Splatoon "2" is just a port with a DLC's worth of new content, right? Here are the details from Nintendo's product page:

• New weapons – New dual-wielding Splat Dualies join the action, complete with a new Dodge Roll move. Mainstays like the Splat Roller and Splat Charger have also been remixed to include new gameplay mechanics and brand-new special weapons.
  • Local and Online Multiplayer – In a first for the series, compete in local multiplayer Turf War battles, whether in TV mode or on-the-go in handheld or tabletop modes. Online battles also make a return.
  • New ways to play – Play using the Joy-Con controllers or the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, both of which allow for gyro controls for better aiming and control.
  • New Trends – Two years have passed since the release of Splatoon in real life, and two years have also passed in the game world. Some familiar characters return under different circumstances, and new characters are introduced as well.
  • Fresh Updates - Similar to Splatoon for Wii U, updates will roll out post-launch, adding new content.
  • Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.
  • Turf War – Iconic 4 vs. 4 Turf War battles return. The goal is to splat ink on as much territory as possible, while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies.
Look at the language here and count how many times you see words like "return", "remix", "similar". Splatoon 2 is a port of Splatoon with modified support for some of the Switch hardware functionality, new skins, a one or two new mechanics. For gods sake, 30% of the feature text is just re-describing the original Splatoon - "Hey, remember this thing from splatoon? We're doing that again!" This has to be one of the skeeziest, most intentionally deceptive marketing campaigns I've ever seen - calling an enhanced port a sequel just for marketing purposes is maybe the most creatively bankrupt move I've seen from a publisher in quite awhile.

Yeah, no, from the trailer it was quite obvious there was a LOT of new things to the gameplay that weren't in Splatoon. It is a sequel in the same sense that Mario Kart 8 is a sequel to Mario Kart 7.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Yeah, no, from the trailer it was quite obvious there was a LOT of new things to the gameplay that weren't in Splatoon. It is a sequel in the same sense that Mario Kart 8 is a sequel to Mario Kart 7.

Also an entirely new single player campaign, right?

OK here's another question for you. With how DRY it's been for Wii U from Nintendo themselves, what the hell have they been doing with their studios for these past few years?

I would think they would have prepared their launch lineup more.

Converting BOTW over to Switch hardware, Mario looks pretty complete, ARMS, 1,2 Switch, Splatoon 2, updating MK8 for battle mode, and Xenoblade 2. That's 5 new first party games and two ports/remasters all slated for release in 2017. Plus we don't really know anything about the portable franchises they have been working on like Pokémon which has been rumored for holiday 2017 release for weeks now. I'm sure Retro is pretty deep in development with their game also. IMO, looks like they have been pretty busy.

Nintendo really botched their presentation because when you sit down to really think about it, they actually have a lot coming down the pipes fairly soon. I mean Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Mario all in one year? That's pretty crazy. Plus Xenoblade is listed as a 2017 title on NOJ's site I believe. And then if Pokémon Stars actually makes 2017? That is a ton of output in 9 months. That would usually be a two year schedule for Nintendo.

renzolama

I guess you're right, I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. It definitely fits as a sequel within the context of what Nintendo considers sequels.

People do realize that Splatoon "2" is just a port with a DLC's worth of new content, right? Here are the details from Nintendo's product page:

• New weapons – New dual-wielding Splat Dualies join the action, complete with a new Dodge Roll move. Mainstays like the Splat Roller and Splat Charger have also been remixed to include new gameplay mechanics and brand-new special weapons.
  • Local and Online Multiplayer – In a first for the series, compete in local multiplayer Turf War battles, whether in TV mode or on-the-go in handheld or tabletop modes. Online battles also make a return.
  • New ways to play – Play using the Joy-Con controllers or the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, both of which allow for gyro controls for better aiming and control.
  • New Trends – Two years have passed since the release of Splatoon in real life, and two years have also passed in the game world. Some familiar characters return under different circumstances, and new characters are introduced as well.
  • Fresh Updates - Similar to Splatoon for Wii U, updates will roll out post-launch, adding new content.
  • Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.
  • Turf War – Iconic 4 vs. 4 Turf War battles return. The goal is to splat ink on as much territory as possible, while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies.
Look at the language here and count how many times you see words like "return", "remix", "similar". Splatoon 2 is a port of Splatoon with modified support for some of the Switch hardware functionality, new skins, a one or two new mechanics. For gods sake, 30% of the feature text is just re-describing the original Splatoon - "Hey, remember this thing from splatoon? We're doing that again!" This has to be one of the skeeziest, most intentionally deceptive marketing campaigns I've ever seen - calling an enhanced port a sequel just for marketing purposes is maybe the most creatively bankrupt move I've seen from a publisher in quite awhile.
lol

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Converting BOTW over to Switch hardware, Mario looks pretty complete, ARMS, 1,2 Switch, Splatoon 2, updating MK8 for battle mode, and Xenoblade 2. That's 5 new first party games and two ports/remasters all slated for release in 2017. Plus we don't really know anything about the portable franchises they have been working on like Pokémon which has been rumored for holiday 2017 release for weeks now. I'm sure Retro is pretty deep in development with their game also. IMO, looks like they have been pretty busy.

Yeah. It's been almost three years since Tropical Freeze. I really hope Retro has something for E3.

Every shooter has returning modes and guns. And many of them have returning characters.

Splatoon is a shooter that has unique weapons with specific functions so it's not surprising that they would want to ensure people that their favorite weapons are returning and people like the cast so they're telling people that some of those characters might be back.

This is no different than any other shooter.

Tall4Life

How graphically intensive is Steep? It was on current gen consoles only and is coming to this... it could be a good sign to come for third party support in terms of the hardware problem. Then again we don't know what they removed from it to make it run.

yyr

Oh, so the Wii wasn't about "video games played on a TV using physical controls on a handheld device"?

No, it wasn't. It was about playing video games on a TV with motion controls--as in, physically moving the controller itself, rather than just using the D-pad/sticks/buttons--which had never been the foundation of a console interface before. It was the first major departure from what had been considered the norm, and the beginning of Nintendo's new direction IMO.

renzolama

Every shooter has returning modes and guns. And many of them have returning characters.

Splatoon is a shooter that has unique weapons with specific functions so it's not surprising that they would want to ensure people that their favorite weapons are returning and people like the cast so they're telling people that some of those characters might be back.

This is no different than any other shooter.

Well, based on the responses it seems I'm actually the one who has misconceptions about what a sequel is. Pardon me while I slink away into the shadows.

Chairhome

I'm sure the answer is no, but is there any word on if any multiplayer games will have download play? Meaning multiple Switches off one card? Example: if I want to play vs on Arms using two Switches, I need two copies of the game?

renzolama

Not just Nintendo, most of the industry. Think about the changes in a FIFA or a Call of Duty sequel.

Fair enough, I suppose I'm mentally cherry-picking the best sequels for comparison and forgetting about the other 90%. It certainly makes more sense in comparison to other multiplayer shooter sequels.

have we had any confirmation of what is in the box?

C2BoUoUUoAAJAcs.jpg

Chitown B

It's likely a $420-430 proposition when you include a game and online play. And a lot of us absolutely do "need" to spend at least an extra $80 for an extra controller to play local multiplayer. It won't stop most of us on gaf from spending the money, but it's an expensive purchase for the majority of the casual market who will see it as a secondary console.

You just made contradictory statements. You're either casual or have multiple consoles. Casual players will probably have only this console. Non-casual probably have enough money to not worry about it since they can already afford more than one console (and may have already spent $500 for the X1 alone at launch, with one controller).

Local multiplayer = you already have two joycons.

oxidax

Are we going to see 3DS titles in the Switch? Or will those studios at least develop for it so we could actually get more titles in the foresee future? Any word of crossbuy or maybe games like Ace Attorney come out on the Switch as well?

I hope the Switch gets love like the 3DS. The 3DS has soo many titles its hard for me to catch up. I really hope the Switch can get as many games like that.

Fair enough, I suppose I'm mentally cherry-picking the best sequels for comparison and forgetting about the other 90%. It certainly makes more sense in comparison to other multiplayer shooter sequels.

I just want to give you props for actually changing your position on the internet. That shit is rare. Kudos.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Even if you buy the Ethernet adapter, fewer people will be playing via Ethernet than if it had been included in the dock, that's just common sense.

Really disappointing considering how Nintendo markets the Splatoon series in particular. Ethernet is so much more stable.

Also funny because that bizarre "e-sports" situation they showed in the Switch reveal trailer just would not happen, too much interference with hundreds of Switches and phones.

R0ckman

Edit: It sounds like I just have unrealistic expectations for sequels. Lesson learned.

They REALLY needed to add new playable races if they wanted to get away with calling it a sequel, insane.

oatmeal

Banned
Well, thank God the Joycon straps come with it as well.

So I basically just need to cop the Switch, Zelda and the wheel thing for when MK8 comes out (it's the way my son plays).

Or I can keep his grubby hands off of the Switch and move the Wii U into the playroom.

Yes. Also some people twittered that they like the joycon grip more than the pro-controller.
the grip seems legit

Yeah, I'm watching a ton of video impressions and seems like almost everyone is liking the joy cons even when detached from the switch.

Hmmm... I'm slowly turning around on my decision of not buying at launch...

oti

Banned
I think I'll skip the Pro Controller for launch but when Shovel Knight comes out... a 2D game without a d-pad... I don't know.

Osakadon

I think that either of these would sell very well. I think they could manage it too.
I don't think they should flood the market with a bunch of different configurations but I think they should offer one of the two I posted and the current default configuration.

With the savings of removing items from the package, as well as the size savings they would have when shipping these around the world. The box could be smaller and they could fit more in a shipment.

4j485TG.jpg

HNvgAXI.jpg

I think that either of these would sell very well. I think they could manage it too.
I don't think they should flood the market with a bunch of different configurations but I think they should offer one of the two I posted and the current default configuration.

With the savings of removing items from the package, as well as the size savings they would have when shipping these around the world. The box could be smaller and they could fit more in a shipment.

4j485TG.jpg

HNvgAXI.jpg

You basically removed the cheapest components from the bundle. Removing the Dock and the Grip isn't going to let you knock $100 off the price.

4j485TG.jpg

HNvgAXI.jpg

Hearing how some games look better in the handheld than on the TV makes me wish these bundles would exist. And they would sell buckets of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom