• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I think that either of these would sell very well. I think they could manage it too.
I don't think they should flood the market with a bunch of different configurations but I think they should offer one of the two I posted and the current default configuration.

With the savings of removing items from the package, as well as the size savings they would have when shipping these around the world. The box could be smaller and they could fit more in a shipment.

4j485TG.jpg

HNvgAXI.jpg

Lol, the dock is essentially a pass-through, and the Joy-Con holder that comes with the console contains no electronics but completes a normal controller. Both are pretty much necessary. So you're talking about a price cut with minimal savings on items that don't cost much to make, and may be very negligible to ship in a slightly larger box.

Removing neither of those low-cost items gets to the price that you want. We're not talking about items that are expensive to produce.

Coffinhal

That's actually...Pretty great.

So it does come with the joycon grip,meaning that shaves off extra cost of a pro-controller.

No that's not great. You just have the most simple "Switch experience", they didn't add anything, even if it was a "premium" package just like Wii U. You need too many things for the complete experience.

No game, no demo. That's between 50 and 70EU for a standard game, even 6 mini-games.

No real controller with confort for the home play, you have to pay 70EU for that. It's important for competitive games like Splatoon or Mario Kart, even for Zelda if you play for long periods of time.

No SD card, you have to pay 20 to 75EU to install future patches, DLCs etc. since the memory is 32GB

No case ofc but you'll need one because it's fragile

Also I didn't understood if I needed an accessory to charge the handled only Switch ?

Only one way to play a few games in multiplayer is the very small joycon. A second pair of joycons costs you 80EU.

They need to cut their margins and either lower the price of their "raw" experience or bring a bundle at the same price or at 350EU with Something that makes it attrative. Also lower the price of expensive accessories by 20EU. And games, why the hell are they at 70EU while the norm has been 50EU since 2010 in Europe ?

StereoVsn

I have been looking at MTV Wii-U library and really the only games I would like to keep are Tokyo Mirage Sessions and two Zelda ports, maybe Xenoblade X (didn't like it all that much at the end). I have bunch of kids games plus Mario of course but kids could play enough on PS3/PS4, my Steam/Emulation box and their 3DS and 2DS (and iPad).

I am actually considering dumping most of my Wii-U library to GameStop and Amazon (basically keeping the above games and maybe Bayonetta 1&2) and trading in Wii-U to take advantage of that extra $75 GameStop deal. That would more then cover Switch, necessary accessories and couple games. Hmm...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish Nintendo would have leaned on indies more.

Why not have an indie sizzle real then announce some indie games on the Treehouse stream?

Why not showcase a team like Shin'en porting a remix version of Fast Racing to the Switch or have Yatch Club show off their next round of Shovel Knight DLC on the Switch?

Feels like a wasted opportunity and it would have helped with the perceived lacking lineup for the Switch even if all of the games might not be day and date launch games.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is there a positive Switch thread on gaf where I don't have to read negative comments?

Sorry to get your hopes (and mine) crushed, but no

As for me, I'm very excited (despite some reservations about price, release schedule and launch lineup) . The wiiu as a console left me somewhat cold, the Switch looks like a proper wii-2 with heaps of innovations, which is almost as exciting as the games themselves. Cant wait to have it in my hands

Osakadon

I've already stated that obviously I understand that the TV out pass-through and joy-con grip is cheap to produce. But regardless, with those items reduced, plus the savings they would make on being able to pack more system boxes in a shipment would save them money.

Bottom line they should be the ones to take the hit on the system to get the price to a more reasonable, mass market price. If they hit that $199.99 price, everyone right now would be how to pre-order and where and they will be buying it. They would move so many units. The buzz would be so positive.

They would come out looking great. But now, they come off looking like price gouging, greedy jerks, and so many people are just giving the system a wait and see, or wait till price drop.

I don't know how much money they are making on each system, but I feel it would be worth it for them to perhaps take a small hit on the system to buy positive buzz and get more systems in homes.

Also, their online if they want it to be a paid service, they should have announced that the new plan is paid online + unrestricted virtual console access. You don't own any of the games but you can play any game as long as you are a Nintendo online subscriber.

Coffinhal

No not necessarily but there's a difference between criticism and outright shit flinging console wars.

There is absolutely no console war, you misread.

it's just Nintendo that did a bad presentation with a commercial strategy that didn't fit what the people wanted or expected.

Price, games, features, they did a lot of things wrong but that can still be changed. The product itself seems great - except the battery - but everything around it feels meh.You can't pop at the middle of a generation with everything overpriced, a thin line up/launch window (artificially delayed, hello MK8, Arms, Splatoon, maybe even Mario...), no exclusive killer app and no future perceived for the console games-wise.

People won't pay 400 to 600EUR for that. You can blame them or look it from other perspective and see that Nintendo's strategy is conservative and will probably kill the console's potential. They need to stop caring only about making their shareholders happy with good margins on the product. That's the main reason why they do all that shit, and having a Financial guy at the head of the company doesn't help with that.

Not sure where to ask this as the forum is flooded with Switch threads at the moment, but does anyone know if the Gray Switch package comes with the JoyCon straps?

Hatty

Hopefully gamestop does a midnight release, I gotta get on a flight on the 3rd and I doubt they'll hold it for five days.

Marjorine

I get the criticism. I really do. All of it is valid for the most part. I have some of these reservations myself.

But I love new consoles and Nintendo games. So screw it. I can play Zelda and then wait for the drip of Nintendo games while I play Xbox. It's how I have been treating Nintendo consoles for quite some time. Nothing new here.

I'm excited to get the thing and check it out.

Zen Aku

Hopefully gamestop does a midnight release, I gotta get on a flight on the 3rd and I doubt they'll hold it for five days.
They'll probably make a special exception if you ask, or you might be able to have them transfer an order to a local GameStop where you're flying to.

trixx

Ok after a few days I think the things that are driving me nuts are the lack of games and what I'd say duplicate experiences as a wii u owner.

But a major one is the cost of accessories. If it supports wii u pro controller I could probably justify a purchase. I have 3 younger siblings and I like to play with them but $100 canadian for a set of joycons and $90 for switch pro is absurd man.

Like if it was 60/70 fine but this is making it really off-putting. Plus there's very little incentive in owning it at launch.

It's sad, this isn't affordable by any means

daffy

Banned
I get the criticism. I really do. All of it is valid for the most part.
Despite the oxymoron, most of it are people that were sold an idea for months and months based on rumours and speculation of a price that was congruent with tech specs and not on market value. Nintendo sees $300 as the lowest they could offer, they even considered $349 & $399. These people would believe medical rumours before they would believe a doctor in many cases. Therefore, i cant agree with you that most of it is valid. From what I've seen a good majority of it is people upset that the rumour mill and punditry was so off base.

However, the launch lineup is lackluster which i will admit. But that isn't anything out of the ordinary when you look at previous console launches. Zelda is a system seller and we rarely get those at launch.

Piggus

People do realize that Splatoon "2" is just a port with a DLC's worth of new content, right? Here are the details from Nintendo's product page:

• New weapons – New dual-wielding Splat Dualies join the action, complete with a new Dodge Roll move. Mainstays like the Splat Roller and Splat Charger have also been remixed to include new gameplay mechanics and brand-new special weapons.
  • Local and Online Multiplayer – In a first for the series, compete in local multiplayer Turf War battles, whether in TV mode or on-the-go in handheld or tabletop modes. Online battles also make a return.
  • New ways to play – Play using the Joy-Con controllers or the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, both of which allow for gyro controls for better aiming and control.
  • New Trends – Two years have passed since the release of Splatoon in real life, and two years have also passed in the game world. Some familiar characters return under different circumstances, and new characters are introduced as well.
  • Fresh Updates - Similar to Splatoon for Wii U, updates will roll out post-launch, adding new content.
  • Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.
  • Turf War – Iconic 4 vs. 4 Turf War battles return. The goal is to splat ink on as much territory as possible, while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies.
Look at the language here and count how many times you see words like "return", "remix", "similar". Splatoon 2 is a port of Splatoon with modified support for some of the Switch hardware functionality, new skins, a one or two new mechanics. For gods sake, 30% of the feature text is just re-describing the original Splatoon - "Hey, remember this thing from splatoon? We're doing that again!" This has to be one of the skeeziest, most intentionally deceptive marketing campaigns I've ever seen - calling an enhanced port a sequel just for marketing purposes is maybe the most creatively bankrupt move I've seen from a publisher in quite awhile.

Edit: It sounds like I just have unrealistic expectations for sequels. Lesson learned.

I really hope this is the case and that a Switch Animal Crossing is in full developement. Screw Splatoon.

Humdinger

No not necessarily but there's a difference between criticism and outright shit flinging console wars.

GAF is generally a pro-Nintendo forum, so I don't think the fact that the Switch is getting such flak on GAF is because of console warrioring. Some of it is that, sure, but a lot of the backlash is coming from disappointed Nintendo fans. At least that's how I'm reading it.

bobeth

I'm very interested in the system. I skipped on the Wii and WiiU (although I got the DS and 3DS), and I'm eager to come back to meatier Nintendo experiences. I'm going to wait until fall or beginning of next year though, when games are going to be rolling in (and hopefully a price drop, or an interesting bundle)..

Typically the older you get the less likely you will be to take things like video games with you on the go. Seems pretty obvious.
Dunno if that is a US game stigma thing but I dont have any problems carrying handhelds around. Quite the contrary. When i have to stay outside of my house (business trips and what not) I love to play my handhelds in the hotel.

People do realize that Splatoon "2" is just a port with a DLC's worth of new content, right? Here are the details from Nintendo's product page:

• New weapons – New dual-wielding Splat Dualies join the action, complete with a new Dodge Roll move. Mainstays like the Splat Roller and Splat Charger have also been remixed to include new gameplay mechanics and brand-new special weapons.
  • Local and Online Multiplayer – In a first for the series, compete in local multiplayer Turf War battles, whether in TV mode or on-the-go in handheld or tabletop modes. Online battles also make a return.
  • New ways to play – Play using the Joy-Con controllers or the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, both of which allow for gyro controls for better aiming and control.
  • New Trends – Two years have passed since the release of Splatoon in real life, and two years have also passed in the game world. Some familiar characters return under different circumstances, and new characters are introduced as well.
  • Fresh Updates - Similar to Splatoon for Wii U, updates will roll out post-launch, adding new content.
  • Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.
  • Turf War – Iconic 4 vs. 4 Turf War battles return. The goal is to splat ink on as much territory as possible, while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies.
Look at the language here and count how many times you see words like "return", "remix", "similar". Splatoon 2 is a port of Splatoon with modified support for some of the Switch hardware functionality, new skins, a one or two new mechanics. For gods sake, 30% of the feature text is just re-describing the original Splatoon - "Hey, remember this thing from splatoon? We're doing that again!" This has to be one of the skeeziest, most intentionally deceptive marketing campaigns I've ever seen - calling an enhanced port a sequel just for marketing purposes is maybe the most creatively bankrupt move I've seen from a publisher in quite awhile.

Edit: It sounds like I just have unrealistic expectations for sequels. Lesson learned.
wow so you have come from the future, reviewed the game with all its (yet unannounced) features and are posting this right?

Oh god nintendo please don't mess this up again.

I've been a bit out of the loop on switch recently but all the negative talk has me really worried :(

WadeitOut

Dunno if that is a US game stigma thing but I dont have any problems carrying handhelds around.

No one said anything about it being a stigma or having problems doing so. Typically a 30 year old, unless you live somewhere where public transportation is regular, isn't going to have the time or opportunity to use it when you're going somewhere. You are usually busy and time is limited when you aren't at home. Obviously if you live in New York City this is a completely different situation.

NewGame

Banned
Yep. Going to wait for the price drop/revision.

I need to find a way to play Zelda, some sucker will buy it on launch so I'll nick it from them. :)

Why have they not shown off the touch screen yet? I REALLY hope Super Mario Maker is coming out for this. It's probably the greatest game ever, and no SMM would likely mean no purchase for me.

And what is the IR going to do without a sensor like the Wii has? I'm hoping for HD versions of the Galaxy games to come out (obviously they wouldn't be playable in handheld mode), but am wondering if/how that will be possible without a sensor of some sort.

tesqui

So, I guess this will be the first Nintendo console in a while to not have any Backwards compatibility? I know it wouldn't make sense to put a disc drive on the actual console, but I bet they could've put it on the dock.

I just want a reason to sell my WiiU dammit.. If I could get 150 for my WiiU I'd already be paying half price for Switch.

Thanks for keeping the dream alive Microsoft. You're now officially the last console to actively support BC.

NolbertoS

Typically the older you get the less likely you will be to take things like video games with you on the go. Seems pretty obvious.

I think your in the minority, the older you get, the harder it is to sit down in front of the TV and play games. With work, commuting, family, taking your kids to karate, soccer, etc practices, doesn't leave much time to do anything else. The only time most older people have is in the can or in bed to game, hence why more portable gamers are not just kids.

WadeitOut

I think your in the minority, the older you get, the harder it is to sit down in front of the TV and play games. With work, commuting, family, taking your kids to karate, soccer, etc practices, doesn't leave much time to do anything else. The only time most older people have is in the can or in bed to game, hence why more portable gamers are not just kids.

I disagree with pretty much this entire post. I personally cannot play on a video game console while driving a car. If I am out and about I am almost always going to pick someone up, drop someone off, or to buy something from a store. I find it hard to believe that I'm in the minority there.

I will be taking my Switch to work to use at my office. Which still doesn't contradict the sentiment that the older you get the less opportunity you have.

Oare

Damn Nintendo for forcing that gimmicky d-pad upon me!

What?
I was (obviously) talking about the microphone.

No, it wasn't. It was about playing video games on a TV with motion controls--as in, physically moving the controller itself, rather than just using the D-pad/sticks/buttons--which had never been the foundation of a console interface before. It was the first major departure from what had been considered the norm, and the beginning of Nintendo's new direction IMO.

Wii remotes were versatile controllers where motion control was an added feature.
It's what sold the console to non-gamers so it was heavily promoted, but in reality, many games barely used it, or gave alternatives to it.
Also, motion control led to the inclusion of gyroscopes into controllers, which, if you've tried Splatoon or used a Steam controller, you'll know can improve the experience in a variety of popular game genres like shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom