• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch named most fragile product of 2019 by French consumers’ association.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Nintendo Switch has had a troubling year due to the problems found in its Joy-Con controllers.

The Switch Joy-Con controllers have issues with their analog sticks that can lead to drifting issues, which cause the analog sticks to act as though they’re being pushed forward even if left untouched. These issues force people to send the controllers back to Nintendo for fixing, which is free in the US but costs a small fee in other parts of the world.

The drifting issues have led the French consumer’s association to label Nintendo as one of the worst companies of the year in the country alongside chain stores like FNC. The Joy-Cons were the main reason behind the inclusion.

Banned
very agree with this,

my left joycons felt loose in handheld mode after only three to four days of use and when I search online it is considered as normal wear and tear because they use plastic on the rail and all joycon will experience this sooner or later, this made me crazy.

also the button doesn't inspire confidence, I think the A button prone to sticky button

I felt more satisfied with my sn30 pro + instead

It seems like they want to make additional profit by selling us fragile products like this so we could buy additional joycons

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Death Stranding for Switch Confirmed...

On topic:
That sucks for who actually play with them as handhelds. Mine's been docked since purchase and probably wont get much mobile than that.

Ban Puncher

s23kvbT.gif

Mista

Banned
Imagine playing every game with the ugly joy-cons? Yes it’s stupid. What you have t-rex 🦖 hands? Do yourself a service and get the pro controller. Since day one I knew the joy-cons were cheap. Not defending Nintendo by any means and I’m glad the french are calling them out on it.

Banned
Imagine playing every game with the ugly joy-cons? Yes it’s stupid. What you have t-rex 🦖 hands? Do yourself a service and get the pro controller. Since day one I knew the joy-cons were cheap. Not defending Nintendo by any means and I’m glad the french are calling them out on it.

what about handheld mode? like we had another choice

Mista

Banned
what about handheld mode? like we had another choice
True true. But still you can use the pro controller, just use the stand that’s behind. 99% of the time my Switch is docked and when it’s not, then it’s on the table and I’m still using the pro controller. My massive hands makes the joy-cons uncomfortable for me anyways. It sucks for the people that are always using the Switch as a handheld. Cheap mofos with their garbage joy-cons

Sybb

Banned

The Nintendo Switch has had a troubling year due to the problems found in its Joy-Con controllers.

The Switch Joy-Con controllers have issues with their analog sticks that can lead to drifting issues, which cause the analog sticks to act as though they’re being pushed forward even if left untouched. These issues force people to send the controllers back to Nintendo for fixing, which is free in the US but costs a small fee in other parts of the world.

The drifting issues have led the French consumer’s association to label Nintendo as one of the worst companies of the year in the country alongside chain stores like FNC. The Joy-Cons were the main reason behind the inclusion.
I haven't experienced drifting at all with the sticks, but rather with the motion controls. Especially games like Resident Evil Revelations 2 and RE5 where you have motion aiming. When the controllers get slightly hot or sweaty the motion controls starts to drift and when that happens I stop playing for 20 minutes and then go back.

But yes, it's incredibly bad and a sign that they didn't test these controllers enough before mass produce.

Last edited:
yeah they are pure shit. Does anyone have any recommendations as replacements. Ima do some searching. Im not buying another pair of the worst controllers ever made. Ive only played my switch like 10 times 🤣

Shaqazooloo

I have one drifter (right Joy-Con I got with the Switch at launch) but I've bought a new one and I'm using the old one purely for Ring Fit.

The situation could've been handled a lot better but this seems a little much.

Sometimes I prefer playing with detached Joy-Cons, so I can relax and put my hands casually to the side, it's really comfy. I don't have massive hands so it's no problem for me.

The only game I find the Joy-Cons to be unusable in is Smash bros other then that I don't see too big of an issue with them.

Katsura

yeah they are pure shit. Does anyone have any recommendations as replacements. Ima do some searching. Im not buying another pair of the worst controllers ever made. Ive only played my switch like 10 times 🤣
10$ replacement kit from Amazon. That's what i did. It's fiddly to install but there are some good pic by pic guides

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Anecdotal, but I've had mine since launch and not had a single issue. I'm not complaining though, the drift problems look severe and I'm glad it hasn't happened (yet?)

Dude! Go on WatchDog on BBC and call Nintendo out with that and then say "Fix them you cunts!" with the added censor beep at the end. :LOL:

Having an Angry Gamer might make them listen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Switch joy-cons are terribly designed hardware. They pretty much always go bad even after minor game play. Buttons get stuck and sticks drift.

I think the DPad of the Pro Controller May win the cake for worst DPad I have ever used... yes, I could say worse than the Xbox 360. Horrible horrible build quality for that DPad.

Those cunts don’t listen to anyone mate. They think they’re superior when they’re the ones that are actually behind everyone else

Nintendo or Watchdog/BBC?

I do remember them doing one about Sony's terrible Customer Service a few years ago but nothing changed, sadly.

PocoJoe

Banned
I visited my mother on xmas, she knocked switch over from the dock, from small table that is maybe at knee height.

And left joycon got broken, the lock mechanism on the rail. Luckily it can be replaced by 5€ eBay spare part.

But yeah, that is kind of sad of how easily it can break

Jacknapes

Imagine if Iwata was still around and the drifting issues were as they are now, would Nintendo continue on the route they are now with "yeah, we've had a few issues, but we'll continue making them as they are". Or would Iwata basically demand they fix the issue with a re-issue and anyone affected gets a replacement pair free if they send in the old ones.

Tiamat2san

Well it’s a well established magazine too.
They are really thorough in their investigation.
They say the company where I work is one of shadiest and less honest in France and it’s true.
They made an article on Nintendo this year it was very interesting.
Nintendo is terrible in a lot of ways.

VGEsoterica

My first Switch ate its breakfast and wouldn’t work on any dock. Tested two other consoles on my dock, worked fine. Adult owned and used at home only...still died. So yeah I’d say it’s a bit fragile

Zephir

I though it would have been the Samsung Fold...

Personally, my switch is doing fine and i play mostly on handheld, no drifting so far, so i guess i'm one of the lucky ones

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
To date, my launch-day Switch has suffered the following damage (some of it due to being dropped by a small child onto carpet or a wood floor):

- kickstand got too floppy; permanently removed
- shell near the top vents cracked in several spots; permanently loose
- all four joycons suffer from some issue, whether it's drift or non-functioning R3 stick-buttons
- on multiple occasions I've had to pop Joycon "guts" back into the controller after it was dropped

Thankfully the hardware itself still functions and I love the library of games.

ROMhack

Jeez I feel lucky that I've none of these issues. I had joycon drift during golf story but haven't noticed it in any other games.

I have a grip case (mandatory IMO) so maybe it helps?

Last edited:

Caffeine

should have been fixed with the revision and the launch of the lite, they knew of the issue and replaced the part with an identical one. this is gonna end up costing them in the long run, joycon drift isnt a if but a when, it always occurs you just dont know when it will happen. one day they are gonna have to repair tens of millions right now you could see it as a small case.

magnumpy

nintendo already has your money. if there are problems down the line, too bad so sad it doesn't affect their balance sheet

Top Bottom