• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch "new experience" Teased

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I actually really liked Wii Fit U. Some of the mini-games were honestly fun.

As someone still hugely into Wii Sports Resort also, I would love a new top tier motion control game.

One of the things even looked like archery, but you actually feel the resistance? Sign me the fuck up and make that work with Labo.

zenspider

Bought.

What's it called? Don't matter. That looks ridiculous and clever and stupid fun. I can't wait to see what Nintendo is going to put on the screen for me to crush with my thighs. I hope this is from SPD1 (WarioWare, Rhythym Tengoku).

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

i will probably buy it. Although part of me feels like I did after seeing 1 2 Switch. Kind of been there done that. Not enough new and novel for me.

renzolama

First, they brought you...Cardboard Box! Now, they once again up the ante with ...Plastic Ring! I honestly believe that Nintendo has meetings where they brainstorm ideas for new products made from the most inexpensive materials possible. They've built an amazing fan culture for this stuff. Nintendo's greatest product is not a video game console, it's their marketing department.

McRazzle

Blast from the past

Untitled-1.jpg

Old article from IGN:

"Nintendo has submitted a patent for a new controller it calls a "training implement, training system, and input device".

"More interestingly, translations also allude to "portable terminals" that seem to be connected with using the device
Other diagrams in the WIPO patent filing show exercises utilising the controller, and what appears to be a grip-strengthening add-on."
Untitled-2.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think Switch has captured the audience the Wii did to expect such things to sell gangbusters. Then again, they probably don't, just as with the Labo kits they kept churning out it'll probably do just enough to be profitable while providing them with feedback for these concepts and ideas.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Whatever it is, at least Nintendo knows to keep stuff like this separate from the core audience.

It would've been a disaster if this was shown during the direct.
Exactly. It's amazing how the way you deliver the message can change the outcome.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The Switch Lite is such a colossal mistake, IMO. I actually enjoy them exploring things like this and Labo (excellent toy, we've enjoyed it thoroughly in our house), but having one major version of the Switch on shelves that requires purchasing another $70 controllers and has only a tiny screen--making these party-style games impossible--is just confusing, greatly damages the ability of this kind of software to penetrate when it's limited to one SKU and most consumers know nothing about the difference.

MagnesG

Banned
The Switch Lite is such a colossal mistake, IMO. I actually enjoy them exploring things like this and Labo (excellent toy, we've enjoyed it thoroughly in our house), but having one major version of the Switch on shelves that requires purchasing another $70 controllers and has only a tiny screen--making these party-style games impossible--is just confusing, greatly damages the ability of this kind of software to penetrate when it's limited to one SKU and most consumers know nothing about the difference.
I mean, there's also people who only ever bought mainline Pokemon. So perfect for Switch Lite.

iconmaster

Banned

You make some fair points, but a smaller cheaper Switch is such an obvious and necessary next move for Nintendo that I don't think it can be helped. What could be helped is this habit of developing games that only work with detached Joy-Cons; but Nintendo seems unwilling to break it.

But you're right that Labo was a neat idea, so... c'est la Nintendo vie I suppose.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've noticed that lately Nintendo always ensures they schedule a "traditional" gamer focused Direct with a lot of core-game treats just before announcing anything new in the casual market like this, to ensure that no one accuses them of giving up on fans.

Jubenhimer

Being honest, Nintendo's not actually making that big a deal about the Switch Lite. They made it clear that it's not a replacement for the original Switch, rather a side alternative for those who just want a handheld only experience. It's just some cheap thing they threw out in time for Pokemon, since they know a lot of consumers probably will only be buying a Switch for the newest Pokemon game.

Besides, all Switch games come with a chart to tell you what modes are compatible or not, so all one needs to do is check to see if Handheld mode is compatible or not.

Top Bottom