• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 2.1.0)

Receivers have a tendency to switch to the Switch
(lol)
even when it isn't meant to be in use. It just kind of sends a "hey, turn me on" signal every once and a while. People say they are watching TV or playing PS4 or something and then the Switch will just take over.

My Wii U used to do this for ages. It was like, every time it pinged the servers for SpotPass checks/software updates it would fire up the HDMI out for no apparent reason.

gzero

Receivers have a tendency to switch to the Switch
(lol)
even when it isn't meant to be in use. It just kind of sends a "hey, turn me on" signal every once and a while. People say they are watching TV or playing PS4 or something and then the Switch will just take over.

I have a different issue on my Phillips TV. With the Switch's HDMI CEC feature enabled, it would randomly go to sleep in the middle of gameplay. Super annoying. I haven't tested since updating to 2.1.0.

.... Call up Nintendo? They've recognized it's an issue.

Already did. Sending it in soon. Just waiting to have the extra funds to pick up a second pair of joycons so I'm still able to play for the weeks it still takes to repair here in Canada.

I just checked out of curiosity if they were trying anything to fix it with software.

HDMI switch fix let's go

Please. Driving me nuts.

This is sorely needed sooner than later. Getting tired of unplugging my HDMI cable when I want to watch TV lol.

Really hope so. I want them to also add unsupported resolutions because the Switch only does 720p through my HDMI switch connected to my 1920x1200 monitor (Wii U, PS4, Xbone S are totally fine at 1080p for the record).

Edit - 2.1.0 installed in seconds, still no fix for it.

AllenShrz

Uh, whats this HDMI issue people are talking about? First time hearing about this.

On my case, the audio via arc hdmi stops working at all all on the hdmi ports. I need to unplug the dock and try again, this only happens with my switch, no other device has made my TV go crazy.

Dremorak

Banned
I don't see there being any improvement to zelda unless there is an update for zelda itself.

Theres an OS issue which affects GPU power while docked. A patch is expected at some point (according to fast rmx devs)

I dont think anyone expects zelda to have no drops, but there was direct footage from the plateau a month before release with a couple of minor drops, and now the plateau is drop central. I'm fully expecting a firmware update that fixes most drops, and only the heavy areas like some areas of the villages and one particularly dense forest

Did they add the functionality to power the console on and off with the controller instead of having to physically/manually push down the power button on the switch to access the power options?

Berordn

Theres an OS issue which affects GPU power while docked. A patch is expected at some point (according to fast rmx devs)

I dont think anyone expects zelda to have no drops, but there was direct footage from the plateau a month before release with a couple of minor drops, and now the plateau is drop central. I'm fully expecting a firmware update that fixes most drops, and only the heavy areas like some areas of the villages and one particularly dense forest

I wouldn't expect much to change there, since said forest even has dips in portable mode.

Wish this included an update for the Pro Controller.

I have every single Zelda-related amiibo, and without fail using the in-game NFC in my Pro Controller will cause a sync loss ... camera just drifts and nothing responds. Have to sleep the system and wake using the joycons to get control back.

Usually happens on the 8th-10th amiibo scanned in a row.

Happens on my Pro Controller, as well as two of my colleagues' Pro Controllers at work. So I don't think it's just mine.

We all ordered at the same time so it could be a batch issue, but I think there's something glitchy with it.

Maybe this mysterious update will help.

Berordn

Why would a system wide firmware update affect the performance of a single game?

It wouldn't, there's a known issue with GPU performance on the current firmware, and Shinen confirmed that FAST was affected somewhat.

Not unreasonable to think the other games might see improvement.

Soroc

Wish this included an update for the Pro Controller.

I have every single Zelda-related amiibo, and without fail using the in-game NFC in my Pro Controller will cause a sync loss ... camera just drifts and nothing responds. Have to sleep the system and wake using the joycons to get control back.

Usually happens on the 8th-10th amiibo scanned in a row.

Happens on my Pro Controller, as well as two of my colleagues' Pro Controllers at work. So I don't think it's just mine.

We all ordered at the same time so it could be a batch issue, but I think there's something glitchy with it.

Maybe this mysterious update will help.

That's weird! I have them all too and scan them in on my pro controller no problem. Wonder if there is any weird order to scanning them that causes it, have you tried? Are you looting each scan first before scanning the next?

That's weird! I have them all too and scan them in on my pro controller no problem. Wonder if there is any weird order to scanning them that causes it, have you tried? Are you looting each scan first before scanning the next?

I just updated to the latest firmware, and kept the Pro Controller plugged in during the process (and rebooted the system again once done just to be sure ... read this was how to update the Joycons, figure it might work for the Pro Controller).

I usually do two in a row for Zelda Amiibos because things have a habit of disappearing if I do more. Just ran through the entire Zelda set, followed by the Yarn Yoshi set, followed by almost every Smash Bros Amiibo ... and not a single disconnect.

Maybe something changed? Dunno. This was a surefire way to get a controller disconnect but since updating I scanned 50+ Amiibos with no problems.

Tiny sample size, but maybe a good sign?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This newest firmware update does not fix the loud fan / always 100% fan issue, so it's a confirmed hardware issue for those running into it. Time to call up Nintendo support.

Dremorak

Banned
For those wondering why the general consensus is that the OS issue mentioned by FAST rmx devs is also affecting zelda, for one they said it only occurs in docked mode, and two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktFlmH_0CI

This is zelda running on the switch a month and a half before release, and they say the frame rate is very stable, only a couple of minor drops, nothing like we had at release.

Soroc

I just updated to the latest firmware, and kept the Pro Controller plugged in during the process (and rebooted the system again once done just to be sure ... read this was how to update the Joycons, figure it might work for the Pro Controller).

I usually do two in a row for Zelda Amiibos because things have a habit of disappearing if I do more. Just ran through the entire Zelda set, followed by the Yarn Yoshi set, followed by almost every Smash Bros Amiibo ... and not a single disconnect.

Maybe something changed? Dunno. This was a surefire way to get a controller disconnect but since updating I scanned 50+ Amiibos with no problems.

Tiny sample size, but maybe a good sign?

Definitely sounds like a good sign!

Only crash I have had so far is the playing a game for a week causes a lockup thing people have mentioned before, but that's it.

Dremorak

Banned
I said the same, but it's strange that others say there's no improvement. I know that forest area in between the town and the
fairy
used to tank hard especially in wind and now it's smooth.

The main thing to check is to exit the cave at the start and run down the hill. Thats where the first drops happen and where there were no drops in the video I posted above

sirap

Zelda feels the same to me. Running around the
fairy fountain
near Kakariko village in the heavy mist/fog and the performance drops are still there (docked).

Will try out other areas soon.

EDIT: Okay tested out the
Korok Forest
and performance is still the same.

Zelda feels the same to me. Running around the
fairy fountain
near Kakariko village in the heavy mist/fog and the performance drops are still there (docked).

Will try out other areas soon.

EDIT: Okay tested out the
Korok Forest
and performance is still the same.

Must have been a fluke of the time of day/weather then. The slow down in that area is always so noticeable so it stood out when it didn't do it.

Skeletos311

C6mK-HLVoAADw_A.jpg

sirap

Must have been a fluke of the time of day/weather then. The slow down in that area is always so noticeable so it stood out when it didn't do it.

Yeah these areas perform fine in most situations. It's only when it starts raining that it really gets bad.

Still, so much better than the Wii U version.

I can't even connect to update or get to the e-shop at the moment.

Nevermind, I am dumb. I setup the parental control stuff and blocked myself from internet. =/

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even connect to update or get to the e-shop at the moment.

Nevermind, I am dumb. I setup the parental control stuff and blocked myself from internet. =/

Ah. If you ever have that issue again without Parental Controls, there's a random issue with similar symptoms that some are spontaneously encountering. A simple restart will fix that.

The thing about Zelda: BotW is that it always runs at 30 FPS, unless performance drops below a certain point, in which it runs at 20 FPS. If an update slightly increases Zelda's performance, then the game won't, for example, have a slight rise from 20 to 21 FPS... It will instead drop to 20 FPS slightly less frequently, which is harder to measure.

Top Bottom