• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Online app now available on most Google Play and App Stores

exemp30

I've yet to hear anybody complain about this since it was a thing on Xbox.

Is the concept of muting and blocking that foreign to Nintendo?
About the Xbox part the reason would be that they never had any motion controls where it can literally require waving a cord connected to a controller.

molnizzle

lol, voice chat disconnects if you use another app. Switch app must be kept open.

wooooow.

Everyone should just use Discord and be done with it.

Nope. This is the solution. And it's actually probably the best solution ...

If Nintendo put a headphone jack on the joy-cons, it would suck, because you'd be waving a cord around.

If Nintendo put a headphone jack in the Pro controller, everybody would complain because you would have to buy an $80 accessory in order to have voice chat.

If Nintendo required Bluetooth headphones, then people would complain because you would have to buy expensive air pod style things to voice chat. And also people would complain because you wouldn't be able to do local multiplayer with as many Switches, because the headset is hogging a Bluetooth slot.

And if Nintendo made voice chat a handheld only thing, people would complain, because then it wouldn't work while docked.

Also, there's Nintendo being worried about people (esp. kids) getting harassed. And they have a point: Splatoon is one of the few online shooters where I see a good mix of openly femme nicks in matches. Not being harassed for being a girl is a major perk of the franchise.

Pretty much everybody has a smartphone with a headphone jack, which makes it a nice way to provide voice chat for people who really want it. You're glancing at your phone to catch up on Facebook or look up super l33t strats between matches anyway, so it's not like it's going to add actual overhead to your life. And you can always invest in a pair of bluetooth headphones if you want to eliminate the cord. :)

Basically, sticking the voice chat on a phone does make a lot of sense, given what the Switch is, and what the bundled controllers are like. Not that will stop people from griping about it ... but they'd gripe about whatever solution Nintendo implemented, so I'm not sure the griping is going to bug the folks at Nintendo all that much.
Maybe this would make sense if this was 2005. Headphone jacks and bluetooth are standard for a reason. Nintendo is just walking backwards in time with this.

If Nintendo put a headphone jack on the joy-cons, it would suck, because you'd be waving a cord around.

If Nintendo put a headphone jack in the Pro controller, everybody would complain because you would have to buy an $80 accessory in order to have voice chat.

If Nintendo required Bluetooth headphones, then people would complain because you would have to buy expensive air pod style things to voice chat. And also people would complain because you wouldn't be able to do local multiplayer with as many Switches, because the headset is hogging a Bluetooth slot.

And if Nintendo made voice chat a handheld only thing, people would complain, because then it wouldn't work while docked.

Also, there's Nintendo being worried about people (esp. kids) getting harassed. And they have a point: Splatoon is one of the few online shooters where I see a good mix of openly femme nicks in matches. Not being harassed for being a girl is a major perk of the franchise.

Pretty much everybody has a smartphone with a headphone jack, which makes it a nice way to provide voice chat for people who really want it. You're glancing at your phone to catch up on Facebook or look up super l33t strats between matches anyway, so it's not like it's going to add actual overhead to your life. And you can always invest in a pair of bluetooth headphones if you want to eliminate the cord. :)

Basically, sticking the voice chat on a phone does make a lot of sense, given what the Switch is, and what the bundled controllers are like. Not that will stop people from griping about it ... but they'd gripe about whatever solution Nintendo implemented, so I'm not sure the griping is going to bug the folks at Nintendo all that much.

NOBODY would complain about a headphone jack in the joycons, if anyone did the immediate response would be "Well it's better than not having one at all"

This would make since if you could use voice chat in any lobby but you can only ly use it with friends.

MUnited83

For you.
Qw85iUB.jpg

That was a CDMA limitation VoLTE solved that issue

LMAO. Just when you think they couldn't fuck it up more.

You can, voice chat just gets temp disabled. Just like how any other app works. It gets suspended then loads the other app. When you're done with the app, it wakes the app back up.

There's not a single communication app that I use that does that.

JCX

You can buy a pair of over the ear Bluetooth headphones w/mic for pretty cheap now. I have two pairs myself. It's the best solution given joycons and there's no good excuse for Nintendo not supporting them.

Again, it's wholly illogical to sit here criticizing an app we literally can't even login to yet.

However, perhaps I'm just not as interested in the entire voice chat aspect of this service in the first place, so I find it difficult to get so upset about the possibility that this might not be the greatest solution possible.

I'm much more interested in the other, more supplemental features related to Splatoon 2 (gear, stats, etc.)

Or, you know, they could just develop their own proprietary solution and not pay/involve a third party. I think we should withhold judgement on whether or not Nintendo should have done this after we actually use the app.

If it's a garbage fire, then I will agree with you.

The voice chat stopping when I want to look something up on my phone or respond to a text is an already terrible downside. That knowledge alone allows me to pass some form of judgement.

The second screen stuff is whatever. It may be good and it may be bad. I might use it or might not. It's the voice chat stuff that already seems poorly done.

duckroll

Again, it's wholly illogical to sit here criticizing an app we literally can't even login to yet.

However, perhaps I'm just not as interested in the entire voice chat aspect of this service in the first place, so I find it difficult to get so upset about the possibility that this might not be the greatest solution possible.

I'm much more interested in the other, more supplemental features related to Splatoon 2 (gear, stats, etc.)

Seems more illogical to argue against people who are upset over a poor feature that you don't care about at all tbh.

Yukinari

Splatoon 2 selling exclusive clothes using the app is gonna work too to get people to use it.

They want more MyNintendo users and to track data.

molnizzle

Thing is, there's no way to voice chat on the Switch itself. This app is all we've got.

So yeah, that's a huge deal. And the main reason anyone will be using it. The Splatoon 2 functionality is stuff that could just be in the game itself.

Seriously? Wow is right...

Yep:

neptunes

Could you ever entertain the possibility that OTHER PEOPLE may be interested in online matchmaking and voice chat support?

_Ryo_

I COULD BE TOTALLY MISREMEMBERING, BUT...the app does have specific functionality to interact with Splatoon 2 (like checking statistics, looking at gear, matchmaking?, etc.) that Discord can't do. I think it also might automatically sort who you're talking to based on who's on your team? I'm much less certain about that.

Basically, it more tightly integrates with Nintendo's games.

My post was strictly about voice and chating. Also every thing you mentioned you /should/ be allowed to do on the console itself. This just seems like a weird solution. I dunno. Hopefully it works out for everyone

wanders

I have no words

Seems more illogical to argue against people who are upset over a poor feature that you don't care about at all tbh.

Again, your assertion that it's a "poor feature" is based entirely on... what exactly? If the voice chat sucks, I'll be the first to admit - the point is, we don't know anything yet. Right now we're just a bunch of stooges in a forum hypothesizing.

Uh, no it's not? We know the concept behind the App alone and have enough information about it to at least be able to form opinions about this. The idea of locking your voice chat behind a phone app that must stay open 24/7 to have voice chat functionality stupid.

Are there work arounds? Yes.
Are the work arounds better than this? Yes
Is this the best solution for voice chat? lmao no

hwy_61

Banned
Again, your assertion that it's a "poor feature" is based entirely on... what exactly? If the voice chat sucks, I'll be the first to admit - the point is, we don't know anything yet. Right now we're just a bunch of stooges in a forum hypothesizing.

Oh I don't know...

Qw85iUB_d.jpg

I get the point patch13 is trying to make, but it still reflects on nintendo's inability to have one standard control method.

Headphones had to be blue tooth only (and would likely fuck with the joycons), or every possible combination of switch controllers needed a headphone jack (split joy cons, joycons in joycon grip, pro controller, handheld mode, tabletop mode). I get the logic that lead to them saying "fuck it everyone has a phone" though I wish they did allow at least ONE other method even if it required compromise like "must use a pro controller/joy cons in the grip".

The vita and xbox examples aren't strictly 1:1, because those systems were designed around one input method (holding the handheld and the standard controller). Very much how shocking alberto and others pointed out the "nintendo image problem" with the 18 different control methods that worked with smash wiiu for switch, nintendo put themselves in a corner where weird hoops were being jumped through by someone.

Heck pro controller only headphones don't really work, unless the smash community is ready to get rid of the gamecube controller :p

Edit: also the app not being able to be open in the background is garbage

graywolf323

Gold Member
app is live on NA App Store but I get a server maintenance message when I try to login to my Nintendo account

also it is just ridiculous that I can’t use Bluetooth headphones with the Switch (I also feel this way about the PS4 but that’s not as big of an issue since it’s not portable)

nynt9

Nah, we know enough about it to know that this is some 2000 shit. It's a solved problem for the entire rest of the world. Nintendo's solution is obtuse and backward.

duckroll

The voice chat sucks because I cannot plug in my headset into the system and use it like a normal person would use a headset on literally every single existing device. That's very easy to understand for anyone who uses voice chat in gaming regularly across multiple devices. For someone who doesn't use or care about voice chat at all, it might be confusing and baffling why people are so skeptical of downloading an app on their smartphone to use voice chat for a game they are playing on the Switch. For a normal human being, it is obvious why this is stupid.

SURGEdude

This silly shill post would be bad enough but you even have a Splatoon avatar. Fanboys really have no shame these days, they wear it on their sleeves.

HvySky

This cannot be genuine. This cannot be.

btw I would like to state for the record that yes, I am indeed a ridiculously passionate fan of Nintendo in general.

So between the fact that I don't really care about voice chat to begin with, and the fact that I'll pretty much make the most of whatever Nintendo manages to implement with this app... perhaps I don't really have a dog in this fight lol

It's like Radiohead - I'm going to listen to, and probably enjoy just about any music they release at this point, because my tastes are firmly aligned with theirs to such a degree that I no longer have a large degree of objectivity in regards to their work.

BiggNife

Basically what I'm getting out this is that there's no reason to not use the Discord phone app instead. It has the same functionality without disconnecting if you switch apps.

NimbusD

I'm sorry, this is stupid. A clunky app is the ONLY solution? The solution for people complaining about 'having' to use bluetooth headphones is to create an app on a separate device entirely? I'm sorry, but you're just 100% wrong.

FYI, there also could have just been a headphone jack on the grip for the joycons as well as the pro controller, that would leave 3 options available for wired headphones including handheld, motion joycon games people would use bluetooth and literally no one would complain.

I like the idea of being able to plan and invite people through an app, but making it the ONLY way to communicate is fucking stupid.

Top Bottom