• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Online app now available on most Google Play and App Stores

Messed around with Splatoon 2 online and the app. Nah, man. Nah.

giphy.gif

Lol, just wtf is Nintendo doing....

legend166

I'd just love to have sat in on the design meetings when they were figuring this all out.

I can't think of a single benefit to the way they've implemented this.

Again, personally I don't care because I don't play online, but it's just so strange.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's so bizarre to me that people make communicating with the people you're playing online with sound like some niche target audience that people should be thankful they even sort of are catering to... It

I didnt realize just how important it is for some ppl, or how much some want it until my kids started asking for headsets.

Its one way they talk to their cousin and their friends alot . They all are on XBO, just needed headsets.

It also helped us get in touch with their mother the other day. My son's phone was dead, so she called his cousin and he passed on a message from her.

Its sorta like how some use Facebook to communicate.

It changed my stance. I used to didnt care for it. Now I use voice chat more. Also cuz I'm playing more online games too.

The Switch is such a nice device, but the whole online feature is just awful.

Almost 20 years after Xbox started online for consoles and this is the level Nintendo is at, it's sad.

The Switch is such a nice device, but the whole online feature is just awful.

Almost 20 years after Xbox started online for consoles and this is the level Nintendo is at, it's sad.

I'm still holding out hope that there's more to the app itself, and that this is just a preview of the game-specific features. If they don't have cross-game party chat in the final version of the app I don't think I'll ever use it.

They're really open to feedback based on the current app and the site even says this is "feature limited" so time will tell. In the meantime it stinks.

BusinessKong

Neo Member
It is funny because this app could work as a fun free companion app for Nintendo games, but as a way to communicate and set up stuff with friends it has a long way to go to be anything I would want to use.

Hopefully we see a ton of updates to make it something useful.

Also how hard would it be for Nintendo to say screw it and move all these features to the Switch? Would it need all new hardware built in?

rudger

...wait what? Xbox was in no way the first to bring online to consoles. Dreamcast came with a modem. Hell, the Saturn had one.

Anyways, on topic. Still very much looking forward to the scheduler as that seems like something I would use. As well as the game specific stats and such. Voice chat on consoles has always been extremely hit or miss with my friends. I've had XBL and PSN and it's just not something I use often if at all anymore. And I have literally no interest in talking to strangers.

Lacking any messaging at all is weird since it existed on Wii U. Granted, it sucked on Wii U due to how slow to load it was and that there was no easy app to check messages on your phone. I'm hoping they try to bring some of these things back, but the recent news of Miiverse coming to a close makes me less than hopeful. I assume they are just tired of paying for moderation and servers to store messages for a handful of users that actually use the service.

It's so bizarre to me that people make communicating with the people you're playing online with sound like some niche target audience that people should be thankful they even sort of are catering to... It

To be honest i think voice chat does have a niche audience. But as you say, that also doesn't excuse the state the app is in at the moment - although personally i'm fine with using a phone as a chat thing.

We get quite a lot of threads on here alone about people complaining how popular online games are quiet , and i think most of us can say that from our own anecdotal evidence that the games we play are really quiet too. It may be different on pc's, but it does feel that chat started and died with COD on console.

I would actually like to see the amount of people using Voice chat - companies must have access to it - i be quite confident in predicting it is in the singular % range, and probably in the lower range at that too. Personally my own feeling is that very few people use it. Probably why nintendo don't really care for it, and took Sony a while to catch up with Microsoft as well.

But again, that doesn't excuse the current stare of the app.

Effect

You either have to jump in right when they queue, or have a private room.

There's no way to create a group with your friends and then queue up for Ranked or Regular Play. (That's a Splatoon 2 problem, btw, no necessary an app one.)

I thought League battle was suppose to allow you to do that?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't think he is really saying that. And to be honest i think voice chat does have a niche audience. But as you say, that also doesn't excuse the state the app is in at the moment - although personally i'm fine with using a phone as a chat thing.

We get quite a lot of threads on here alone about people complaining how popular online games are quiet , and i think most of us can say that from our own anecdotal evidence that the games we play are really quiet too. It may be different on pc's, but it does feel that chat started and died with COD on console.

I would actually like to see the amount of people using Voice chat - companies must have access to it - i be quite confident in predicting it is in the singular % range, and probably in the lower range at that too. Personally my own feeling is that very few people use it. Probably why nintendo don't really care for it, and took Sony a while to catch up with Microsoft as well.

But again, that doesn't excuse the current stare of the app.

I thought this too...but the rise of Youtube personalities makes me think otherwise. Especially the ones that do games, Lets Plays, Twitch etc.

Like how some ppl post stuff just to get a reaction, some may do voice chat for the same reason.

Kind of reminds me of how ppl saw others become famous from using Youtube for singing. Some may see it like that for doing voice chat. Just talking into a mic while gaming.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Man, this could have been an awesome companion app without some very stupid decisions.

Add friends management (like adding a friend in the same way you invite them to play) and general messaging and chat, not just game based.

And SplatNet2 could very well survive on its own even without this app holding hostage the network functionalities. You have already incentives to visit it often, with the equipment that you can order and all the stats.

It's really baffling, I would like to know who made the decisions about this app.

A lot of people on gaf are out of touch.
I absolutely know I'm in the minority that I never need chat in my games, but I never play with friends online anyway (most of my friends don't play games).

But I also am not ignorant enough to not realise that you absolutely need decent chat in a mutliplayer game.

Shiggy

Some folks were arguing this was just a public beta test and this was just an app with a limited feature set. Nintendo Europe had already removed all remarks about a "limited feature set", NoA has now followed.

July 14: https://web.archive.org/web/20170714012804/http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Today: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

So much for the final app having much more features and being much better. What we got is not some beta version.

What gets me the most is that the morons at Nintendo actually want to charge money for this clusterfuck down the line.

Like how often do you need to run into a wall before coming to the idea that that is an acceptable idea.

I love their games, but man the Switch online systems are by far the most embarrassing, cumbersome and ill conceived POS I've seen... Ever. Hell even Sega Net on the flipping DC was years ahead and much more ambitious.

What the hell is with this thing forcing my phone into a in call state at all times its running?

I cant send media audio via bluetooth, or even adjust media volume, while the app is just running in the background. How did this get so botched?!

Top Bottom