• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Online Service Features

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch."

95a5b3e60be103fdd89b9c9f6f148ded.gif

Hahaha! This console is not ready to launch this March.

Mechazawa

I have to, have to imagine that the app is just a bonus second screen kinda thing instead of being integral for party invites/chat.

Even Nintendo can't be that fucking stupid.

SoulUnison

Banned
I like that they consider "access to the eShop" a perk for "free" members.

"Even if you don't give us money, we'll allow you to give us money."

Delio

I have to, have to imagine that the app is just a bonus second screen kinda thing instead of being integral for party invites/chat.

This is what im thinking. I mean that would be a crazy set back from even the Wii.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Voice chat is TOO TOXIC and text chat is easier on phones because of their keyboards.

Nintendo smart af imo tbh smh

boiled goose

good with gravy
It does sound a lot like the OS level stuff is being sidelined into smart phones ...

As long as it's functional, well integrated... i can tolerate it.

No details on digital content management.....

No buy till I know what buying digital content means this time.

Is the phone app not free? They're kidding right?

The only reason I'd ever pay for this is because I have to in order to play Splatoon 2 online. That's it. Even Mario Kart online isn't worth paying a monthly subscription for.

That's the worst part for me. On top of how shitty paying for online is anyways, your paying to play a handful of games given how third party support is for Nintendo consoles

Lom1lo

Yes but who started it?
MS was first, then Sony saw how much money they made on it and jumped in a generation later, and another generation later now Nintendo does the same.

I wish nintendo would do the same. what they do is worse, they paywall a bad service

molnizzle

If it were anyone else but Nintendo I'd agree with you.

But we're talking about a company that released their first two smartphone games with separate friends lists. After hyping up their new account system for months.

...I'm worried. I was expecting them to show this shit.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
We really need more clarification before the whole bandwagon says you need a phone to do anything online with the switch. And being able to set appointments with an console-connected app sounds bloody awesome. Too bad I can't play online. ;_;

Edit : Also, it says the PAID online service will only be available AT FIRST in North America/Mexico, it doesn't say anything about the free service not working. So there is a fair chance that Nintendo will get the kinds out of the "pay" online network using those markets, and then carry them over later.

Dr. Buni

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch."

Well, that settles it. Sticking to PC for good now.

boiled goose

good with gravy

But we're talking about a company that released their first two smartphone games with separate friends lists. After hyping up their new account system for months.

This......

Im Fucking worried

Nessus

I think the only way I would have been interested in this is if it ended up also including a Netflix-like service for Virtual Console games.

Holy shit

Didnt they subcontract this out?

Falchion

At least there's voice chat but I'm really disappointing that there's no achievement / trophy system implemented.

BahamutPT

Wait... the chat app will have "microtransactions" to unlock the full feature set of the app?
- Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Edit: I guess they can also mean that the app itself will be limited in its functions, but it's still a strange way to phrase it...

At least there's voice chat but I'm really disappointing that there's no achievement / trophy system implemented.

By this logic Every 3ds and WiiU game had voice chat if you owned a smart phone

You could call your friends or fire up mumble!!!

Yay!

:/

Toxi

Banned
- Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.
BALLOON FIGHT IN MARCH

ICE CLIMBER IN APRIL

Fredrik

I wish nintendo would do the same. what they do is worse, they paywall a bad service
You don't know if it's bad. In my case it's enough that it's a paywall. I supported Sony at first for the PS+ games but lost the interest after a while, same thing with Live with the GWG games. But for now I'm just voting with my wallet on this nonsense and play online on PC instead if I must. It's a really crappy evolution for console gamers imo :/

Top Bottom