• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Does the compilation of classic games include Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 games?

At launch, the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time.

Oh gee, thank you Nintendo. Thank you for have lot of meetings with executives to know if we are worth of having SNES on that paid service.

That catalog of three games and "adding" 3 NES games every month(and you know they will) to the pool is BS when you have Rocket League for free in PS+

I have a switch and still gonna pay because I need to play online :T

Skyzard

Banned
Delay paid online till 2025 and we have a deal...when a revision comes out.

Not keen on paying any amount for access to online on a nintendo console because of the library I expect it to have. Especially a handheld. Snes roms won't change that.

I can't be the only one who thinks the delay was because they realized one game a month was dumb as fuck and they're actually trying to ensure the catalog has a decent amount (or at least a decent stream) of games before launching. I would be it will have more than just NES games. Also, it's nice to see them actually receptive to feedback when it comes to services. It'll be interesting how the app evolves between the beta this summer and the full version next year

Smasher89

I agree that it won't start out as a Netflix style library, but it's sounding like it will be around 3 games a month. After a few years that'll be a decent sized library.

You are aware that the speed of nintendo uploading VC games have been quite slow earlier?, that imo would speak for a very small limited library, concidering they also would want to put up games to sell.

Compare that to the ability to transfer over your licenses for free, and this is still not the best deal.

They updating old games and giving them online is neat, but it's still esentially blocked by a paywall, that will inevitably get a higher pricing as soon as they got a fair ammount of subscribers.

That said, if this paywall actually leads to less game having payed DLC, that would be a decent thing!

I can't be the only one who thinks the delay was because they realized one game a month was dumb as fuck and they're actually trying to ensure the catalog has a decent amount (or at least a decent stream) of games before launching. I would be it will have more than just NES games. Also, it's nice to see them actually receptive to feedback when it comes to services. It'll be interesting how the app evolves between the beta this summer and the full version next year

Didn't Nintendo announce their initial plans for the online-enabled VC games before Xbox Game Pass was announced? I feel like that might have helped influence their decision here. I could also see part of the delay being due to supply constraints. I'd imagine people who couldn't find a Switch for half the year would be pretty miffed to find out they have no option but to pay for online right out of the gate.

OmegaFax

Smash 64 and Melee with online play.

Just think about that.

They pulled back on SNES games. I don't think they're going to rock the boat with N64 or GC emulation with added netplay + Nintendo would probably use something like Smash 4 on Nintendo Switch as a flagship title to launch the $20 subscription service.

You are aware that the speed of nintendo uploading VC games have been quite slow earlier?, that imo would speak for a very small limited library, concidering they also would want to put up games to sell.

Compare that to the ability to transfer over your licenses for free, and this is still not the best deal.

They updating old games and giving them online is neat, but it's still esentially blocked by a paywall, that will inevitably get a higher pricing as soon as they got a fair ammount of subscribers.

That said, if this paywall actually leads to less game having payed DLC, that would be a decent thing!

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying.

This likely isn't a replacement for a traditional VC, but a different service. 3 NES/SNES games per month (I don't know if that's the number) with added online play will be included with the subscription, but we haven't heard how the actual virtual console will work.

It's definitely possible that the VC will let you carry over your Wii U/3DS purchases for free, or much more likely for an upgrade fee rather than full cost. The VC has existed on 3 consoles so far, and the transition between two of them (Wii to Wii U) was 100% free.

If we do get a growing library of 1-3 NES/SNES games with added online each month that will be a good sized library within 2-3 years. But until they confirm there won't be any additional VC outside of this (which I don't see happening) I wouldn't expect this would replace a traditional type of VC.

They pulled back on SNES games. I don't think they're going to rock the boat with N64 or GC emulation with added netplay + Nintendo would probably use something like Smash 4 on Nintendo Switch as a flagship title to launch the $20 subscription service.

They're not going to use a port of a previously free online game to advertise a paid online system. That's absurd

MLH

Seems okay I guess.
Nintendo wouldn't leave money on the table by not offering these to non-subscribers - they'd surely offer a way for people to purchase these separately, I would think.

Anyone willing to dig up those previous rumors about VC on Switch? I'm sure I remember a few of the reliable people mention transfers from Wii U & 3DS would happen implying a more traditional VC would happen.

Fake edit: It was Eurogamer: Switch VC plans include upgrade progam, VC engineered by NERD

Gotta say, I don't think this rumor will be credible, GC emulation is low priority for Nintendo - but Eurogamer have been on the mark with everything else. hmmm...

Shiggy

Nintendo answered some questions to Famitsu:
Question 2: New updates over time? No comment. Will the game library increase over time or will existing titles simply be replaced? No comment.

Question 3: VC is different from Classic Game Selection, Classic Game Selection adds online play.

Question 4: Cloud saves and distribution of free DLC? No comment.

Question 5: Subscription is tied to accounts, not to systems. No comment on whether every account on a system needs a subscription or what happens with accounts which are on more than one system.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201706/02134525.html

Q: In the explanation of "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)", there is "Online Play also ~", but recognizing that games where local battle and cooperation play were made correspond to online games and cooperative play Do you agree?
A: Details about the specification of online play will be announced at a later date.

Q: Are the titles that can be played through the "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" updated over time? Or, will the number of titles that can be played increase, or is it an image that packages are increasing like " Vol.1 ", " Vol.2 "?
A There is nothing we can tell at the moment.

Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided.

Q: Are there services apart from the one that have been announced, such as cloud saves or distribution of digital items?
A: There is nothing we can say at the moment.

Q: Do users need to subscribe to "Nintendo Switch Online" on a system or account basis?
A: Subscription is on a Nintendo account basis. Please wait for future announcement on handling multiple Nintendo accounts with one Nintendo Switch or handling Nintendo accounts with multiple Nintendo switches.

Q: Although it is said that you can experience the online system for free before the service starts in 2018, will it be necessary to separately register for the service?
A: The subscription to "Nintendo Switch Online" is done through the Nintendo eShop. You can subscribe by adding the balance to your Nintendo eShop account by credit card or prepaid card. We also plan to sell download cards for "Nintendo Switch Online" usage.

MLH

Question 2: New updates over time? No comment. Will the game library increase over time or will existing titles simply be replaced? No comment.

Question 3: VC is different from Classic Game Selection, Classic Game Selection adds online play.

Question 5: Subscription is tied to accounts, not to systems. No comment on whether every account on a system needs a subscription or what happens with accounts which are on more than one system.

Ah interesting thank you. So Classic Game Selection is somewhat synonymous with 3D classic on 3DS; a new way to play old games.
I imagine adding things like online play would require quite a bit of work on these games, would love to hear about that.
This could end up as one of those crazy Nintendo projects that never go anywhere, like they only made a few 3D Classics because they became too difficult for them.

Smasher89

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying.

This likely isn't a replacement for a traditional VC, but a different service. 3 NES/SNES games per month (I don't know if that's the number) with added online play will be included with the subscription, but we haven't heard how the actual virtual console will work.
Yep, I agree, but previous history with the VC titles (and since they do get upgraded to feature online play) it'll likely get a set amount early based on the wording, and there was no mention of it growing either.

Looked up the most recent article about vc that I could find, and it was different then I remembered, I thought it was stated they have planned to not have any transfers possible, but its actually not announced yet(based on pre release interview with Reggie ) from what I can find as you say! :D

Awesome to have confirmation that VC will still be a different service. I'm really hoping that they announce that at E3 and it comes out soon. I've been dying to play games like LttP on Switch.

atr0cious

Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided.
This is some great double speech right here. The schedule isn't decided because the list is so long, the "best" will always drop when they need to fill a gap in their releases, so of course they can't schedule that yet, since they'll be shuffling this along with 3rd parties/Indies. But there's no way they don't have a time frame for when they'll start doling them out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
$20 is reasonable but I hope they improve the features and functionality.

The phone thing for voice chat still seems like an elaborate prank.

At least we get to see grown ass adults defend it though.

Camjo-Z

It's really annoying how vague Nintendo's being with this online service. It shouldn't be that hard to definitively say whether the Classic Game Selection is going to be an ever-growing library or a monthly rotation when they've had this long to mull it over. And honestly, I'm not sure adding online features to random NES games is that great of an idea anyway. Balloon Fight is an okay choice, but Mario 3? As in the game that only has simultaneous multiplayer in the battle mode? Or Dr. Mario, which has had multiple objectively superior iterations with online play? What's the point?

Also, the phone app thing has sounded horrible from the start and they've still yet to elaborate on how it'll be any better than just using Skype like I already do now. Just admit it was a dumb idea and put out a wireless headset.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm really curious why they decided to talk about this now when its clearly still so half baked and far off into the future. At least mention Cloud Saves - you know, the thing a lot of people actually want.

MTC100

Banned
Nintendo getting people to pay $20 a year for a bunch of shit most wouldn't be interested in at all, lol.

1) 20$ is nothing
2) Microsoft conditioned everyone first that you should be glad to pay for online

I'm really curious why they decided to talk about this now when its clearly still so half baked and far off into the future. At least mention Cloud Saves - you know, the thing a lot of people actually want.

You never know with Nintendo, they also talked about Breath of the Wild DLC before releasing the game, making everyone and their mother yell at them for "releasing an incomplete game" while they themselves didn't even know what the DLC would include, because they didn't cut anything out of the game for it...

They do Nintendo things I guess...

jts

...hate me...
One thing I find funny is that ever since this paid online service was revealed they have stated, and they still do, that:

Currently, the paid online service is available for customers in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

The thing is not even available at all until 2018, and I have a feeling that by then it will be more than sorted to go live in most, if not all countries. Especially with how easy it is to hop regions on the Switch, people would just "move" to a free to play online country otherwise.

It feels like an unnecessary and inaccurate tidbit of information. I remember it even made people think they couldn't play online outside those countries.

ryechu

Because it'll be relevant for Splatoon's launch, and they probably want to get rid of the bad news out of the way before e3.

andthebeatgoeson

There's no reason not to provide both. Integrated cloud saving would make it easy to jump between multiple machines and in event that the system is completely destroyed make it easier than ever to set up a new one. An SD card/PC backup would give me more control but also requires that I stay on top of it and not lose the data somehow.
That and if you lose the system with your SD card, you are hosed. Zelda is the perfect reason for cloud saves. You hit 830 korok seeds and someone steals your system, you may not come back to the game.

Atheerios

One thing I find funny is that ever since this paid online service was revealed they have stated, and they still do, that:

The thing is not even available at all until 2018, and I have a feeling that by then it will be more than sorted to go live in most, if not all countries. Especially with how easy it is to hop regions on the Switch, people would just "move" to a free to play online country otherwise.

It feels like an unnecessary and inaccurate tidbit of information. I remember it even made people think they couldn't play online outside those countries.

Nah, it won't. That's how it's on 3DS and Wii U, as the eShop is only available in this countries. The difference this time is that you need the eShop to buy the subscription, thus countries without eShop won't have online play.

The solution will be the same as always: having an US account.

If the only games that come with the subscription are the ones they're adding online multiplayer to, I don't think this service (the classic games part of the service) is really worth it at all.

1) No one is going to really care about online multiplayer in NES and SNES games in the first place.

2) In 2017, a content subscription service needs a robust and wide-reaching catalog. For Nintendo, I'd say that at a minimum this means all the NES, SNES, GB/C, and GBA games they plan to re-release digitally on Switch should also be available for free to subscribers. (It also means that they should plan to release classics across all these platforms at a minimum.)

jts

...hate me...
Nah, it won't. That's how it's on 3DS and Wii U, as the eShop is only available in this countries. The difference this time is that you need the eShop to buy the subscription, thus countries without eShop won't have online play.

The solution will be the same as always: having an US account.

Oh. So the message is meant just for the americas? I get it then. Somehow still feel like they should be more careful with the lingo though, seeing as people from all over the world will visit the .com address, and not just in the americas. But ok, thanks for clarifying it for me.

mrk8885

Banned
If the only games that come with the subscription are the ones they're adding online multiplayer to, I don't think this service (the classic games part of the service) is really worth it at all.

1) No one is going to really care about online multiplayer in NES and SNES games in the first place.

2) In 2017, a content subscription service needs a robust and wide-reaching catalog. For Nintendo, I'd say that at a minimum this means all the NES, SNES, GB/C, and GBA games they plan to re-release digitally on Switch should also be available for free to subscribers. (It also means that they should plan to release classics across all these platforms at a minimum.)

I won't disagree with #2. I've already seen people calling this "NESflix" and calling it the Netflix of gaming and I think those people are setting themselves up for major disappointment. It seems clear the library is not going to be that big, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Totally disagree with your first point though. There's a TON of interest in Nintendo adding online multiplayer functionality to NES and SNES games. That's a super cool innovative feature that embraces the nostalgia and does something brand new with it. It will generate a TON of good publicity and goodwill.

Sol1dus

I feel like people hyping the shit out of this weren't there at the release of the Wii. Something that made the Wii big among gamers was the VC. Once the console released VC releases were horrendously staggered and just not that great. I believe the Wii U basically re-set the VC and you had to re-purchase them again AND also wait for them to be re-released.

If I get a Switch it definitely won't be because of VC or this online service. I've already fallen for that promise once.

I do agree that $20 is a sweet spot.

Wow, they actually had this story on the local news a minute ago.

Granted, I live in Seattle where NoA is located, but I didn't really expect this to get picked up by local TV.

I can't be the only one who thinks the delay was because they realized one game a month was dumb as fuck and they're actually trying to ensure the catalog has a decent amount (or at least a decent stream) of games before launching.

It's probably just not ready yet on the technical side, like the smartphone app. Everything about the Switch looks beta / half-assed so far. The barebones eShop is a good example.

Socreges

Banned
$20 for online is fine. So long as they give us VC games regularly apart from that. No stupid trickle of NES games to finally reach Wii U level after 3 years pls

Bowl0l

I feel like people hyping the shit out of this weren't there at the release of the Wii. Something that made the Wii big among gamers was the VC. Once the console released VC releases were horrendously staggered and just not that great. I believe the Wii U basically re-set the VC and you had to re-purchase them again AND also wait for them to be re-released.

If I get a Switch it definitely won't be because of VC or this online service. I've already fallen for that promise once.

I do agree that $20 is a sweet spot.
How long before VC for Wii becomes decent? A few years?

Minsc

Gold Member
This sounds really cool, but I hope we don't have to wait until 2018 to get VC.

We'll probably be lucky to get VC by 2018. If nothing happens E3, I'm writing it off entirely.

How long before VC for Wii becomes decent? A few years?

The difference between VC on switch and Wii is VC is a lot neater on a handheld, at least imo. You could play it either way of course, but the pause and play and portable aspect of a great VC would be a nice draw.

Bowl0l

The difference between VC on switch and Wii is VC is a lot neater on a handheld, at least imo. You could play it either way of course, but the pause and play and portable aspect of a great VC would be a nice draw.
I'm trying to get an estimate on how much VC games Nintendo delivered on the Wii within the first 3 years. If they can't deliver within 2~3 years for the Wii, we shouldn't​ expect much for the Switch because Nintendo will prioritize $60 games released by their handheld and home console team. Better to hype less of their VC so people won't get disappointed when Nintendo release less VC than on the WiiU.

Top Bottom