• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro could be possible with the new Tegra X1+

DESTROYA

The Nvidia Shield TV is about to get a processor upgrade - will the Nintendo Switch be next? The new Tegra X1+ will likely be using the same underlying architecture as the original Tegra X1 for an easier transition to Nintendo's handheld should the company decide to adopt the more powerful processor.

Earlier this year, we published our reasons why Nvidia continues to hold onto its Tegra X1 SoC even though it is nearing 5 years old. Fresh rumors now suggest that Nvidia will soon launch a revamped Shield TV console this Holiday season with none other than a souped-up Tegra X1 chip called the Tegra X1+. If true, then the new chip will offer up to 25 percent faster performance than the original Tegra X1 while integrating AI features to assist in upscaling and video playback.

Since the Nintendo Switch utilizes an underclocked version of the original Tegra X1, the likelihood of the rumored Switch Pro using a version of the Tegra X1+ is now very real. The fact that Nvidia can house the Tegra X1+ chip in the exact same Shield TV chassis suggests that TDP levels should be the same or at least very close. Thus, Nintendo would theoretically be able to run the Tegra X1+ chip in something as small as the Switch Lite, original Switch, or the supposed Switch Pro with little to no issues in regards to backwards compatibility.

This is still all speculation based on the latest rumors, but the timings of the Q4 2019 launch of the refreshed Shield TV and Q1 to Q2 2020 launch of the Switch Pro are lining up very well together to be more than just a coincidence to our eyes.

Now I’m not predicting a PRO model but at least its possible with the new TEGRA X1+ SOC being released in the Shield TV , according to a report published by The Wall Street Journal this month, Sharp said its IGZO display will be used in Nintendo Switch in the future. The Wall Street Journal has been pretty accurate when it’s come to Nintendo Switch rumors so far.

The company did not specify which Switch model would begin using the IGZO screens, but it did claim that they would offer offer the possibility of higher resolutions, low energy consumption and increased durability.

Sharp said its IGZO screens – which have been used in various devices since 2012 – can reduce power consumption to one-fifth or even one-tenth that of conventional screens.

It also claimed that due to the unique method in which the screens are produced, they’re able to achieve higher resolutions on a small surface.

It all sort of sort of points to that direction once you put all the pieces together or maybe at least a more powerful stand alone home console that’s also been rumored but that doesn’t explain the new Sharp panels ordered by NINTENDO.

A PRO model doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility either since SONY and MS are releasing brand new consoles in 2020 , so while the Switch sales are still pretty strong it might be a good time to also upgrade to not be left to far behind.

Zannegan

Would it even be worth it to build a pro model around a chip that's supposed to have an "up to 25% faster" processor? Wouldn't the GPU gains be in the same ballpark? Just seems like too small of a step to be worthwhile, unless instead of being a Pro it's more of an XL model aimed at senior citizens like the DSXL. In that case, it would make sense to increase the power slightly to compensate for a device with increased screen size but the same or similar pixel density.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The question is why would they switch to a new, more expensive chip for a little speed boost? The system is nearly 3 years old. The half-cycle PS/Xbox added 4K. What would this add that would differentiate the pro from the base without highlighting the weakness of the base model? "Now in full 1080p" doesn't really have a ring to it.

Fake

The question is why would they switch to a new, more expensive chip for a little speed boost?
First money, second next gen and third hardcore gamers who maybe are attached the way Xbox and PS4 are as a home console (without the portable model).

Fake

you forgot the most important: it is nintendo we're talking about. Selling garbage hardware at a high price is their motto.
Yeah. People forgot that too. Its Nintendo after all. I lost the count of how many times (different forums) a Nintendo fan say 'They will never do that': Mobile, Full Home Console, Labo, VR, Pro Controller, Revision... History tell otherwise.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This thing would likely get us a Switch version of the N3DS. That actually wouldn't be a bad thing, as the N3DS helped in a lot of games. But it's not going to dramatically change things, maybe get you to 720p native in handheld a bit more often or 1080p in docked. Still the same types of games with the same types of graphics.

DESTROYA

The question is why would they switch to a new, more expensive chip for a little speed boost? The system is nearly 3 years old. The half-cycle PS/Xbox added 4K. What would this add that would differentiate the pro from the base without highlighting the weakness of the base model? "Now in full 1080p" doesn't really have a ring to it.
It’s not like Nintendo doesn’t like revisions, they are the revision kings when it comes to hardware just look at how many 3DS models there is.
First money, second next gen and third hardcore gamers who maybe are attached the way Xbox and PS4 are as a home console (without the portable model).
Its not like there going to abandon models, I can see them selling a OG Switch, Lite and Pro model all at the same time.
Making money is the main factor, I can easily see them selling a model with the Sharp IGZO screen ( wishfully slightly larger at 1080p and a mode to play 720p for more performance in handheld mode). all for more money .
I can easily see Nintendo fans buying a better performance model with bigger screen selling well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s not like Nintendo doesn’t like revisions, they are the revision kings when it comes to hardware just look at how many 3DS models there is.

Its not like there going to abandon models, I can see them selling a OG Switch, Lite and Pro model all at the same time.
Making money is the main factor, I can easily see them selling a model with the Sharp IGZO screen ( wishfully slightly larger at 1080p and a mode to play 720p for more performance in handheld mode). all for more money .
I can easily see Nintendo fans buying a better performance model with bigger screen selling well.

What is the advantage of a 1080p screen? None of your games will run natively. Even this processor won't get there (1080p is over 2x the pixels of 720p).

I doubt Nintendo will go in that direction.

ethomaz

Banned
Tell me more about that Tegra X1+.
I'm curious.

By the name looks like a sidegrade upgrade with better power consumption.

Last edited:

Actually, that would be the tipping point for me to get a Switch. To me that's the bare minimum I can accept (and it would be totally fine) playing on a TV (no interest whatsoever in handheld).

But I agree of course, it wouldn't exactly be good marketing.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
slap dat bad boi in a Switch and i'll buy it....unless it's a wall hugging plug junkie console because that ain't a Switch

put it in a Switch that can actually Switch then i'm interested and Nintendo can have my lettuce.

tkscz

The biggest bottleneck of the X1 model isn't even the CPU or GPU, but the RAM. The Switches LPDDR4 RAM is slow and has a much lower bandwidth than the GDDR5 that the other consoles use. So unless they find a better low power RAM solution (LPDDR4X is barely any better and LPDDR5 is still in testing stages) I wouldn't consider it a "Switch Pro". More like a subtle model upgrade. Like Switch model 1.2 or something.

iconmaster

Banned
This thing would likely get us a Switch version of the N3DS. That actually wouldn't be a bad thing, as the N3DS helped in a lot of games. But it's not going to dramatically change things, maybe get you to 720p native in handheld a bit more often or 1080p in docked. Still the same types of games with the same types of graphics.

Yeah, I don't see how this would make for a "Switch Pro" in the sense anyone uses the term.

ethomaz

Banned
The biggest bottleneck of the X1 model isn't even the CPU or GPU, but the RAM. The Switches LPDDR4 RAM is slow and has a much lower bandwidth than the GDDR5 that the other consoles use. So unless they find a better low power RAM solution (LPDDR4X is barely any better and LPDDR5 is still in testing stages) I wouldn't consider it a "Switch Pro". More like a subtle model upgrade. Like Switch model 1.2 or something.
You already said but that is the point... there is no other RAM that can be used to the power draw they wish in portable mode.
Using GDDR5/6 will basically kill the portable mode.

The whole project of Tegra X1 is dated, old... it is from 2015.
We are in 2019 and nVidia did little to no effort to create a new, more updated replace for X1.
nVidia just don't put the money in Tegra for researches.

The biggest chance for Nintendo Switch Pro is if nVidia uses 7nm to bring a new Tegra chip using 2019/2020 updated architecture... and at that you can look at best case increase of 50-70% the power Switch has today.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Unless of course they add another gimmick to the system.

Xyphie

They probably already use this chip in Switch Lite and the 2019 Switch revision. X1+ is just nVidia's name for it.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
"...new chip will offer up to 25 percent faster performance than the original Tegra X1 while integrating AI features to assist in upscaling and video playback."

AI up-scaling? that's amazing!

DESTROYA

What is the advantage of a 1080p screen? None of your games will run natively. Even this processor won't get there (1080p is over 2x the pixels of 720p).

I doubt Nintendo will go in that direction.
There is not much advantage if they use the same size screen but a slightly larger screen would be able to utilize the extra power in the Tegra X1+ making things look sharper.
I’m perfectly fine with 720p on the Switch in handheld mode , maybe they could offer a graphics mode that plays in 1080p and a performance mode in 720p like they have on the PS4 Pro.
Couldn’t they just add more RAM to help?

tkscz

Couldn’t they just add more RAM to help?

It could but the amount you'd need for it to actually offset the bottle neck it would have to be increased to around 12GBs. Otherwise, the small bandwidth would still be a huge bottleneck.

You already said but that is the point... there is no other RAM that can be used to the power draw they wish in portable mode.
Using GDDR5/6 will basically kill the portable mode.

The whole project of Tegra X1 is dated, old... it is from 2015.
We are in 2019 and nVidia did little to no effort to create a new, more updated replace for X1.
nVidia just don't put the money in Tegra for researches.

The biggest chance for Nintendo Switch Pro is if nVidia uses 7nm to bring a new Tegra chip using 2019/2020 updated architecture... and at that you can look at best case increase of 50-70% the power Switch has today.

Honestly it'd be better if Nintendo went back to AMD. They already have the 7nm tech and do much better at making APUs with much better graphical output at lower power draw than nVidia's Tegra chipset (that are made as CPU/GPU hybrids). Both GDP and Smach have switch over to AMD's V1605B and that thing using just 8GBs of RAM runs Doom 2016 much better than the Switch does. It even runs the RE2 remake.

Last edited:

So.... Anyone, like Super Metal Dave64, will be disappointed to hear that the Switch Pro won't use Xavier or current tegras that are use for smart cars today.

The news is that the Shield Pro will be powered by the Tegra X1+, in which is supposed to be 25% more powerful than the current Mariko X1

ultrazilla

Came in looking for iconmaster iconmaster and I'm not leaving disappointed! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Cheers man!

I'm not so sure Nintendo would go making a new SOC in Mariko only to move away from it.
I think the "Pro" model will feature an "unlocked" Mariko chip and have more memory, new screen, etc.

Besides, I thought someone(it may have been Digital Foundry) posted Mariko benchmarks and it to me
looked like at least a 25% performance bump anyways. I wonder if Nvidia is actually using Mariko but
for whatever reason is simply calling it Tegra +1

Panda1

Banned
This has nothing to do with Pro - that will be a more powerful chip.
The 25% bump goes to the battery - they could not possibly have a pro version with this jump.

ethomaz

Banned
Came in looking for iconmaster iconmaster and I'm not leaving disappointed! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Cheers man!

I'm not so sure Nintendo would go making a new SOC in Mariko only to move away from it.
I think the "Pro" model will feature an "unlocked" Mariko chip and have more memory, new screen, etc.

Besides, I thought someone(it may have been Digital Foundry) posted Mariko benchmarks and it to me
looked like at least a 25% performance bump anyways. I wonder if Nvidia is actually using Mariko but
for whatever reason is simply calling it Tegra +1
Mariko is barely a upgrade over the actual X1 inside Switch.
That is why it is used for Lite and not Pro.

Last edited:

Fake

Nobody is saying that. They could sell all the three models at the same time. Nintendo hardware usally sell well no matter what.
If Nintendo release a PRO version in the same time as next gen consoles they will get a good profit no matter what.
Nintendo is Nintendo. Their hardware sell no matter what.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Honestly it'd be better if Nintendo went back to AMD. They already have the 7nm tech and do much better at making APUs with much better graphical output at lower power draw than nVidia's Tegra chipset (that are made as CPU/GPU hybrids). Both GDP and Smach have switch over to AMD's V1605B and that thing using just 8GBs of RAM runs Doom 2016 much better than the Switch does. It even runs the RE2 remake.
I don't think AMD has any option for Portable.
Their CPU and GPUs are too hungry for that.

Last edited:

DonF

I truly don't get the Switch pro thing. If I want to play games with better res/performance then I would get them somewhere else...

Better looking exclusives? Why?! Nintendo is a master of polishing their games. All nintendo exclusives look great and have great performance.

Jumping conclusion.

There is no way X1+ will be in Switch Pro.

Come on, now! I don't jump to conclusions like SMD64, and build huge expectations to only be disappointed when the actual specs release. I'm just "speculating" that it could be possible that the X1+ could be in the Switch Pro or not come out at all

iconmaster

Banned
I truly don't get the Switch pro thing. If I want to play games with better res/performance then I would get them somewhere else...

Better looking exclusives? Why?! Nintendo is a master of polishing their games. All nintendo exclusives look great and have great performance.

I think that's Nintendo's perspective on it, yeah.

Some Switch owners want the ports to run better than they do, and I get that since the third-party support for Switch has been outstanding.

I just don't think it's an internal priority nor is there an obvious hardware path to making it happen.

D.Final

Banned
I really don't think Switch Pro is based on it.

Also because Switch Pro should have a custom Xavier processor just to optimally manage 4K.

D.Final

Banned
Switch Pro, or Switch 2, will not use X1.
Because this would not allow him to sufficiently increase performance for the future.

Switch 2, or Switch Pro, should use a custom Xavier processor, to have an optimal 4K, since we also have to play Zelda Breath of the Wild and Zelda Breath of the Darkness at 4K and 60 fps.

According to multiple rumors.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Switch 2, or Switch Pro, should use a custom Xavier processor, to have an optimal 4K, since we also have to play Zelda Breath of the Wild and Zelda Breath of the Darkness at 4K and 60 fps.

According to multiple rumors.

I'd be interested to see those. All I'm seeing are hopes that the Switch could make it as far as the X2. Xavier was just released in March; it seems like a long ways off. Iwata is on record as agreeing with Gunpei Yokoi's preference for "withered technology." Even though Iwata has passed away, it's still part of the company's DNA.

Switch Pro Withered Technology doesn't have much a ring to it

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

As it should, that V1605B chip has a 12 or 25W TDP, making it more of a laptop CPU than a handheld/mobile one.

All this must be considered. I don't even think AMD is considering making low power CPUs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just a 25% boost?

I wonder what their plans are in the next 2-3 years for a successor. nVidia doesn't really have anything in the pipeline that I am aware for a handheld.

Banned
people forget that the current Switch model already has a Tegra X1 variant that could easily be used in a Switch Pro.
the revisioned and lite Switchs both use the Mariko X1 version that is way less powerhungry and produces way less heat as a consequence.

Nintendo could easily overclock the new Switch models and have massive performance boosts for many games.

this would obviously drag down the battery life, but I bet it wouldn't be much worse than the old Switch.

so now there's and even more efficient X1 variant. If Nintendo uses that new X1+ and uses its max clocks, instead of underclocking it like they do with the current Switch models, the performance increase could be enough to double the framerate of some games or vastly increase resolutions.
add a memory clock increase and you'd have a way better Switch.

BUT of course this could be not enough for many who expect a jump in performance comparable to the jump from One S to One X...

this new X1+ at max clocks would be closer to the jump from PS4 to PS4pro, which is to say, not much of a leap but it would help docked mode look crisper and handheld mode less compromised.

Last edited:

tkscz

As it should, that V1605B chip has a 12 or 25W TDP, making it more of a laptop CPU than a handheld/mobile one.

All this must be considered. I don't even think AMD is considering making low power CPUs.

I don't expect them to use the V1605B. I would think they'd have something costume made based on the 7nm tech. I mean, I'll give it to you, the Switch itself only uses 16TDP, but if we want something better it would no doubt have to use a little more power. But at 7nm maybe the TDP could be lowered to 8 to 16w.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ill be there day one.

From the sound of things they are underclocking a lot of stuff so that portable works. If they aim for a console centric pro model it is likely they won’t be as restrained.

Mithos

The Mariko chip in the Switch v2 and Switch Lite is the TX1+ chip.
The reason it can clock 25% higher is because it's more power efficient, the reason for the better battery life in the new Switch models.

This is what I believe too.

iconmaster

Banned
I have come to conclusion switch pro is a waste of resources at this point.

im thinking it wont happen, we'll just get a switch 2 that is BC.

giphy.gif

Fake

Resident Evil 4 runs at 900p while docked, so a 25% could make the difference for 1080p.
Don't forget other aspects besides cpu and gpu, like RAM, storage, better wifi, etc...

LordOfChaos

That's what I expected. A die shrink of TX1 would lend a performance gain (if it's 7nm, it should be able to do current docked mode in undocked mode, and have a new higher performance docked mode, for an 'automatic' win), while Xavier's Carmel cores are kinda weird for a game console to deal with.

Top Bottom