• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro could be possible with the new Tegra X1+

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The biggest bottleneck of the X1 model isn't even the CPU or GPU, but the RAM. The Switches LPDDR4 RAM is slow and has a much lower bandwidth than the GDDR5 that the other consoles use. So unless they find a better low power RAM solution (LPDDR4X is barely any better and LPDDR5 is still in testing stages) I wouldn't consider it a "Switch Pro". More like a subtle model upgrade. Like Switch model 1.2 or something.
XboxOne uses DDR3 for main ram at 68GB/s. TX1 uses LPDDR4 at 25GB/s (64x 1600MHz, 3200MT).

The greatest bottleneck in the switch is the artificial cpu clock halving.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Switch Pro is the new Wii HD.

The current Switch already has two major modes. Seems a little overkill to create a third one, unless there are external benefits. Like the improved 3D effect of the New 3DS. Notice that they didn't add a new mode to the New 3DS, it was more powerful, but they weren't setting a new standard around it. Was simply an outside feature of the machine.

A Switch Pro makes no sense whatsoever.

Instead, they are probably working on a Switch 2, that should come in about four years or so.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...

The current Switch already has two major modes. Seems a little overkill to create a third one, unless there are external benefits. Like the improved 3D effect of the New 3DS. Notice that they didn't add a new mode to the New 3DS, it was more powerful, but they weren't setting a new standard around it. Was simply an outside feature of the machine.

Instead, they are probably working on a Switch 2, that should come in about four years or so.
6 and a half years in the mobile space is an eternity. 2 years tops Nintendo should be coming up with a successor and keep the steam going instead of letting it die an agonizing slow death like the Wii. By 2023 even smartwatches will be more powerful than the current Switch, so to speak.

DESTROYA

6 and a half years in the mobile space is an eternity. 2 years tops Nintendo should be coming up with a successor and keep the steam going instead of letting it die an agonizing slow death like the Wii. By 2023 even smartwatches will be more powerful than the current Switch, so to speak.
With MS and SONY releasing new consoles in 2020 it wouldn’t be a bad idea for spec bump on the switch.

silentstorm

Heck, the Switch is already underpowered right now, but then again, i don't think Nintendo cares about marketing to people who want the best graphics and all that, but people who just want a system to play games, i don't think they have even tried to be on par with other systems since the Gamecube even.

I want to see a home console variant/New Switch Pro with Tegra X1 16nm, no LCD, no batteries, a hefty desktop cooler and max clocks.

What CPU/GPU clocks should we expect in that scenario? Assuming LPDDR4X will suffice of course.

With MS and SONY releasing new consoles in 2020 it wouldn’t be a bad idea for spec bump on the switch.
Eh, Nintendo will be fine. I believe both Nintendo and Nvidia are working on a new Next Gen SoC for maybe the Switch 2 or whatever they're making. They'll move on from the Tegra X1 to a brand new custom Tegra chip.

PhoenixTank

I think this is probably basically the same chip that Nintendo are already using in the Switch Lite and the revised Switch - except Nintendo have configured it for identical performance but better battery life.
Yup. Refresh because they probably want to stop production of the old X1 (if they haven't already) and keep selling Shield TVs.

ChuyMasta

Could that mean it's not actually a "Pro" version but just an "aways Docked" version? Because it sounds like something they would do.

Always docked version. No screen, new chip, more memory bandwidth, wired connection only, no battery, bigger heat sink. No joy cons. $350. Pro-controller sold separately.
Includes pro controller, $400.

All of a sudden all compatible games get full 1080p and faster load times.

New coming games 100% compatible with all systems, but will give the perks from above when played on pro system.

Imagine getting Xenoblade Chronicles.

Use your switch lite, 720 portable. Original/New version 720 portable, up to 900p docked.

Pro version, 1080p native, some beefed up upscale algorithm for 4k tv's out there.

iconmaster

Banned
Always docked version. No screen, new chip, more memory bandwidth, wired connection only, no battery, bigger heat sink. No joy cons. $350. Pro-controller sold separately.
Includes pro controller, $400.

All of a sudden all compatible games get full 1080p and faster load times.

Believe in your dreams, I guess.

Question: what would Nintendo gain by doing this? Market share? Switch has been the best-selling console for ten months in a row; and the most likely to unseat it, the PS5, doesn’t arrive until late 2020. More games? Hasn’t been an issue, they keep coming. More respect on gamer forums? Yeah, I suppose it’d earn Nintendo that much.

That would be way to expensive , under $300 for home console with Pro controller sounds about right.
I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a docked-only Switch with Pro controller.

$400 is nuts. You can buy PS4 Pro or XB1X and they're far more powerful than Tegra X1+.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what surprises me is that the switch is a little more powerfull then the wii u
and that console was pretty big ish

now we have the switch lite.
i can't believe nintendo is making something even more powerfull !

damn great
-+

Saber

Gold Member
Believe in your dreams, I guess.

Question: what would Nintendo gain by doing this? Market share? Switch has been the best-selling console for ten months in a row; and the most likely to unseat it, the PS5, doesn’t arrive until late 2020. More games? Hasn’t been an issue, they keep coming. More respect on gamer forums? Yeah, I suppose it’d earn Nintendo that much.

I kinda understand the point, but the real question is "what would Nintendo have lose?"

They have being pretty risky in terms of releasing stuff. What they gained with WiiU? Or with Labo?

PocoJoe

Banned
Every time the same shit, some minor/non relevant thing = "oooh nintendo will use it and have 4k 120fps vr super computer hybrid!?"

Don't nintendo-fanboys have any common sense and knowledge of tech?

Tegra x1 is WEAKLING, add 25% to weakling = still weak.

Also, that 25% is probably on max clocks, while switch runs on lower clocks.

X1 is so weak that even if they would double or triple the perf, it's still kind of weak.

Handheld switch is like 10% of ps4 og, and then some seriously think that +25% would make the next gen switch possible..

Switch pro needs new SoC to be anything more than a joke of an upgrade

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
They have being pretty risky in terms of releasing stuff. What they gained with WiiU? Or with Labo?

That’s exactly right: they’re risky with their hardware. Wii U was risky, Switch was risky, Labo was risky, Ring Fit Adventure is risky. Releasing a higher-specced version of your existing product isn’t risky. It can’t earn them any significant return, because there’s so little chance of it failing.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The teardowns will confirm this, but the chip on the new switch is the same there is in these newer shield tvs.

The difference is that Nintendo lowered the voltage to keep the same output but at a lower energy cost while nvidia kept the same voltage and is getting better performance.

There is no new switch pro.

Donnie

Pointless, won't happen. Even Wii (by far Nintendo's smallest leap over any previous generation system) had 50% more processing power than its predecessor (GameCube). They wouldn't bother for 20-25%.

The teardowns will confirm this, but the chip on the new switch is the same there is in these newer shield tvs.

The difference is that Nintendo lowered the voltage to keep the same output but at a lower energy cost while nvidia kept the same voltage and is getting better performance.

There is no new switch pro.

That makes much more sense. Though I'd add "There is no new Switch Pro... yet".

Last edited:

FStubbs

Pointless, won't happen. Even Wii (by far Nintendo's smallest leap over any previous generation system) had 50% more processing power than its predecessor (GameCube). They wouldn't bother for 20-25%.

Yup, Nintendo would just quietly use this new chip and lower the voltage to increase battery life.

DESTROYA

Yup, Nintendo would just quietly use this new chip and lower the voltage to increase battery life.
Never said a Switch Pro is coming just possible, if Nintendo wanted they could also possibly increase the base frequency of both the CPU/GPU to ”OC” the package for more performance.
Knowing Nintendo its not happening but it’s still possible.

Trimesh

Banned
what surprises me is that the switch is a little more powerfull then the wii u
and that console was pretty big ish

If you look at the main board for the Wii U, it's mostly empty space. They could have made it a lot smaller if they had wanted to, but the desire to make it backwards compatible with the original Wii meant that it had to have a drive that could accept 12cm optical discs, which prevented it from being much smaller than it is.

Zannegan

I really don't understand why Nintendo would go to all the expense of designing a custom chip only to get minimal performance gains. It makes no sense, which is why I'm inclined to believe it. Le sigh...

Maybe this is the traditional XL with larger screen and stylus aimed at retirees who just want to play Brain Training and Crosswords.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, that preview of the headline is such a scam. It's basically "Hey! The stuff you might've wanted? 4K support? Massive performance improvements? Those are the things that AREN'T happening!"

I mean, I'm usually fine with Nintendo's hardware not being up to snuff, because the games are at least built for the lower specs... but games on the Switch just run like fucking garbage, and it's frustrating. I don't care about 4K support - I never thought that was realistic anyway - but it'd be nice if a game as ghetto as Yoshi's Crafted World would run at 60fps and not stutter constantly.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member

But you forgot their statements at the very beginning of the gen.

They said the plan with Switch is to last more than the traditional 6-7 years lifecycle and up to 10 years

CamHostage

I mean, I'm usually fine with Nintendo's hardware not being up to snuff, because the games are at least built for the lower specs... but games on the Switch just run like fucking garbage, and it's frustrating. I don't care about 4K support - I never thought that was realistic anyway - but it'd be nice if a game as ghetto as Yoshi's Crafted World would run at 60fps and not stutter constantly.

I'm with you, I'm quite fine with 720p on this screen (and although Switch is in the name, a large quantity of these devices are not even built for TV output so I expect their focus to be in getting that right first,) but the performance of games is occasionally not acceptable. I would pay for a device that just played all those games properly. Chuggy framerates and blurry subnative graphics draw out the underpowered qualities of the Switch, whereas when a game runs nice on the system, it's enjoyable even if it's simplified (and the Switch does have enough power to wow within its modest dimensions even in a 4K/raytracing/whathaveyou era.) I want a Switch Pro to just be a better Nintendo Switch instead of an even more ambitious machine that has all the same problems but now suffers them in 4K instead of 720p.

Actually, the New 3DS was a new standard. They made New 3DS-exclusive games. Not many of them (mostly because the system was already on the wane, and although the New 3DS had enough power to support some Unity Engine output, even that didn't result in a lot of titles being ported over,) about 50 total, but they existed.

That said, I don't want Switch Pro to split the market like that (and I don't think Nintendo will, though they may have a situation where games run crappy on the original platform and they have to designate "Best on Pro" to avoid disappointed sales on the standard model.) PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have no exclusives made for their architecture, and I expect Switch to follow suit.

Last edited:

nordique

But you forgot their statements at the very beginning of the gen.

They said the plan with Switch is to last more than the traditional 6-7 years lifecycle and up to 10 years

and this is also what iwata envisioned while they were developing the system. It’s going to be a family of systems similar to how tablets and phones are, breaking that traditional cycle

Romulus

people laughed at switch rumored to support VR
well they do so the joke is on them

Its garbage, super limited VR though. PSVR is incredibly low end VR and still a full generation or two ahead of switch VR.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

knowing nintendo, im try not to being too optimistic regarding specs

assuming mid year revision might have better cpu, hopefully they add more ram (ex. 6gb since lot of smartphones nowdays had 6gb of ram) and as nintendo allocated last mariko revision die shrunk to extend battery life( 20nm to 16nm), this time hopefully if they still end up same gpu but more further shrinked down the die size, they can allocated it for performance instead

Last edited:

angelgs90

I'm not a fan of "Pro" consoles myself, but Nintendo made more powerful versions of handhelds before:

Game Boy -> Game Boy Color
Nintendo DS -> Nintendo DSi
Nintendo 3DS -> New Nintendo 3DS

I definitely can see this happening with Switch.

Just give us a system that runs games at a consistent 30 or 60 fps. I would take that over 4K, although a 4K dock only would be nice as well.
I don't think Nintendo will care about 4k for many years, considering they're not even at a consistent 1080p today. The power leap from today's switch to something capable of 4k is insane. I'd be perfectly happy with even 1080p30 from them. But I'm not holding my breath.

DESTROYA

Just give us a system that runs games at a consistent 30 or 60 fps. I would take that over 4K, although a 4K dock only would be nice as well.
This 100% , but I don’t even need a 4K dock just put in a slightly bigger screen ( big enough to fill the extra empty space around the bezels ) I’m fine with a 720p screen handheld , Switch XL

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The question is why would they switch to a new, more expensive chip for a little speed boost? The system is nearly 3 years old. The half-cycle PS/Xbox added 4K. What would this add that would differentiate the pro from the base without highlighting the weakness of the base model? "Now in full 1080p" doesn't really have a ring to it.
because idiots like me will buy it.

I would love a Switch XL. As I get older, it's getting a lot harder for me to see what's on a small screen like the Switch or a phone now. With a bigger screen in the Switch XL, I won't have to hold the Switch far away to be able to see better. Glasses doesn't help my situation.

Top Bottom