• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch pro rumored to feature next-gen NVIDIA Lovelace architecture

jhjfss

"Kopite7kimi, a leaker who correctly predicted NVIDIA Ampere specifications months ahead of launch, has now suggested that the next Nintendo Switch console (rumored to carry Pro moniker) will feature ‘ada‘. This obviously refers to Ada Lovelace, an English mathematician often cited as the first computer programmer."

Last edited:
As much as I would like to believe the rumors, they are never remotely close to the end product, especially the Nintendo ones. Don't get taken over by the hype. I know the new Switch will be better, but let us just wait for official news. It's not like we'll be able to find them that easily with all the scalpers these days.

Zannegan

It could well be on a new architecture, but that doesn't guarantee it will be pushing the envelope. Remember, Nintendo used their last die shrink to gain battery life. People expecting them to put something out that's anywhere near the theoretical limit of what Lovelace can do will be disappointed. Think efficiency gains and improvements rather than paradigm shifts.

And Nintendo being Nintendo aside, this is a mid-gen refresh we're talking about, not a successor (as far as we know). There is zero point in trying to really push the hardware for a half-step. They don't usually sell nearly as well as a real next gen console, no matter how big the jump. Go too big, and you just drive prices up and make your real successor in 2-4 years' time look bad. And don't even start with the "3rd party" argument.

The idea that Nintendo "needs" to keep pace to get 3rd party ports makes no sense. Even if Nintendo could make an inexpensive handheld that's within downport range of the PS5/XSX, most third parties wouldn't be tempted to make exclusive Pro ports. Why would they? They'd be selling to a tiny fraction of the customer pool of vanilla Switch game and miss out on the wave of new hardware hype that accompanies a bew generation of hardware. It would carry all the drawbacks of making a game for an untested console with none of the advantages.

Much better, from a publisher's point of view, to target the vanilla Switch with a semi-playable framerate and a decent experience on the Pro, or just hold those ports for a next gen hybrid when you'll be able to sell those 4-7 year old games like they were brand new.

All this to say, true or not, don't hold your breath for a Nintendo-branded portable XSS... unless you can hold it for three years or so.

Last edited:

reksveks

Ada is on 5nm (likely TSMC enhanced node), it will be more powerful than a XSS.
It might be more expensive than a xss, wonder if this is what 'holds'back' the next gen lol. Does the switch Pro turn into a more viable third typical console?

Using holds back in quotes cause I think it's over-used.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ada is on 5nm (likely TSMC enhanced node), it will be more powerful than a XSS.
you are not getting a 4+ tflops handheld from nintendo. Nintendo is cheap. they dont do cutting edge.

secondly, the xss has a cpu and a fast ssd making it powerful. not just the gpu. The switch pro cant have all that by design. Unless they make it docked only. even if its docked only, the games it will run will be designed to run on a 0.19 tflops handheld mode of the original switch. you will get higher resolutions but the game will still feature low quality settings.

reksveks

BTW I don't think Nintendo would upgrade but think they are kinda stuck by the whims of Nvidia, think the small revision we got was purely cause nvidia was switching onto a new SoC for their shield tv.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo could use a traditional console to anchor the line hybrid consoles are legit because of them though.

ultrazilla

It's going to flop. No one buys a Switch for cutting-edge graphics. Nintendo doesn't do well following up on a popular product since the SNES. They need to just do a minor spec refresh and release something different next time.

You sit when you pee.

5-Laughing-Face-Gif.gif

It's going to flop. No one buys a Switch for cutting-edge graphics. Nintendo doesn't do well following up on a popular product since the SNES. They need to just do a minor spec refresh and release something different next time.

The interest has been there for a couple of years now. I doubt it flops. You’re comparing new consoles to a pro version of the current console. That’s apples and oranges.

Animagic

Banned
you think a ps5 is hard to get...just wait.
it's on Nintendo to make a way for people to reliably purchase the console. These companies have the capabilities to do this.
I expect they won't care if scalpers buy them all though, because they will have already sold them through to retail partners.

I'm here to say enough of this BS. Not jumping through hoops to buy a product.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It could well be on a new architecture, but that doesn't guarantee it will be pushing the envelope. Remember, Nintendo used their last die shrink to gain battery life. People expecting them to put something out that's anywhere near the theoretical limit of what Lovelace can do will be disappointed. Think efficiency gains and improvements rather than paradigm shifts.

And Nintendo being Nintendo aside, this is a mid-gen refresh we're talking about, not a successor (as far as we know). There is zero point in trying to really push the hardware for a half-step. They don't usually sell nearly as well as a real next gen console, no matter how big the jump. Go too big, and you just drive prices up and make your real successor in 2-4 years' time look bad. And don't even start with the "3rd party" argument.

The idea that Nintendo "needs" to keep pace to get 3rd party ports makes no sense. Even if Nintendo could make an inexpensive handheld that's within downport range of the PS5/XSX, most third parties wouldn't be tempted to make exclusive Pro ports. Why would they? They'd be selling to a tiny fraction of the customer pool of vanilla Switch game and miss out on the wave of new hardware hype that accompanies a bew generation of hardware. It would carry all the drawbacks of making a game for an untested console with none of the advantages.

Much better, from a publisher's point of view, to target the vanilla Switch with a semi-playable framerate and a decent experience on the Pro, or just hold those ports for a next gen hybrid when you'll be able to sell those 4-7 year old games like they were brand new.

All this to say, true or not, don't hold your breath for a Nintendo-branded portable XSS... unless you can hold it for three years or so.
Yep, some poor guys even are hoping this new Switch to be this magical tablet that is gonna run next gen games lol.

Its just a '4K' Switch to make the current games run at nice iq and stable framerate,still a nice upgrade but not the next big jump that is supposed to keep with PS5, not even the Switch 2 will be able to do that! without struggling and thats all right because its just a tablet

And as long as companies don't run out of games to port the Switch line will be fine, i expect tons of PS4/ONE on Switch 2 that will look lovely. But people will complain its no PS5/Series XS handheld again

Last edited:

JCK75

a slight power bump would go a long ways in my enjoyment
if I can get Overwatch on switch running at 60fps at it's current fidelity I'd be thrilled.

McRazzle

you are not getting a 4+ tflops handheld from nintendo. Nintendo is cheap. they dont do cutting edge.

secondly, the xss has a cpu and a fast ssd making it powerful. not just the gpu. The switch pro cant have all that by design. Unless they make it docked only. even if its docked only, the games it will run will be designed to run on a 0.19 tflops handheld mode of the original switch. you will get higher resolutions but the game will still feature low quality settings.

Furukawa stated months ago they were now pursuing cutting edge technology, instead of their usual low cost approach.

Apple's A14 cpu is capable of being competitive with AMD's latest cpu's , and there's nothing preventing Nintendo from having a fast ssd.
Also, there would be exclusive games for the new Switch models.

lachesis

Nintendo rarely pushed newest and latest greatest technology in modern hardware design - so I highly doubt this will be the case.
Realistically, I think it will be a modified Xavier, or gimped Orin at the best, if it's coming out this year. I do hope DLSS implementation is true though, as it would help out quite a bit.

Derktron

Banned
Nintendo rarely pushed newest and latest greatest technology in modern hardware design - so I highly doubt this will be the case.
Realistically, I think it will be a modified Xavier, or gimped Orin at the best, if it's coming out this year. I do hope DLSS implementation is true though, as it would help out quite a bit.
I mean you are correct but in reality, if Nvidia is not making the Chips that are on the Switch then they are forced to use whatever Nvidia has. Now I do agree, it can be modern but it can be custom enough even with missing features.

martino

Ok i don't see it....
but let's assume i can.....it's not a refresh then ?
And maybe they are lacking a next gimmick and will push power ?
Again this goes against everything Nintendo has ever done when portable devices are involved.
Has someone strong arguments to make this believable ?

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Ok i don't see it....
but let's assume i can.....it's not a refresh then ?
And maybe they are lacking a next gimmick and will push power ?
Again this goes against everything Nintendo has ever done when portable devices are involved.
Has someone strong arguments to make this believable ?
Unless we start seeing devs come out and say they have the new Switch and it's more powerful, then no. No strong arguments have been made that make it believable enough.

martino

Unless we start seeing devs come out and say they have the new Switch and it's more powerful, then no. No strong arguments have been made that make it believable enough.
This is the response i expected (but not the one i wanted).

Dampf

Calm your expectations.
It's perfectly realistic. The Switch Pro SoC should have around 1.5 TFLOPs and that is without DLSS. Once DLSS is utilized, it should have enough performance for true next generation games and the RT solution is very probably going to be a lot more capable than Ampere, which is already more capable than PS5 and Series X. This thing is going to be a monster.

Derktron

Banned
It's perfectly realistic. The Switch Pro SoC should have around 1.5 TFLOPs and that is without DLSS. Once DLSS is utilized, it should have enough performance for true next generation games and the RT solution is very probably going to be a lot more capable than Ampere, which is already more capable than PS5 and Series X. This thing is going to be a monster.

I can't come up with a response because lol it is, lol indeed. Like I said keep the expectations low, remember the Nintendo NX and how people swore the system was going to come with AMD hardware. Yeah, Pepperidge farm remembers.

Kenpachii

Its not a switch 2, its pretty easy probably for them to push specs up drastically, i could also see a new nvidia shield coming out of this.

As its not a switch 2, how much performance do they really technically need to get resolution and framerate up from the switch base model? I would assume not much, dlss will take care of the resolution and a bit more performance on the cpu front will make games run rock solid from barely playable as of now.

Last edited:

The problem with thinking this way regarding 1.5TF and DLSS is that the upscale sort of falls apart when the internal resolution drops below 1080p. DLSS will be great for taking the 720p/1080p portable resolution and making it look good on a TV.

It’s not going to magically turn 1.5TF into a 4TF 1080p handheld like a portable XBox Series S. If these rumors are true it will be more like a portable PS4 and a docked PS4 Pro because of DLSS.

Last edited:

Dampf

I can't come up with a response because lol it is, lol indeed. Like I said keep the expectations low, remember the Nintendo NX and how people swore the system was going to come with AMD hardware. Yeah, Pepperidge farm remembers.
There is nothing lol about this, it is basically all but confirmed. Nvidia leaker Kopite is 100% reliable when it comes to this type of stuff, he basically confirmed Switch Pro using Lovelace.

Now that we know the architecture, simple math can tell us what kind of performance to expect. https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-ad102-lovelace-gpu-rumored-to-offer-up-to-18432-cuda-cores

If this rumor is true, which it likely is considering double the performance of Ampere is realistic at the same wattage, we can calculate via rule of 3 how performant the Switch SoC at around8 watt is going to be. This should scale down perfectly linear.

Power usage should be similar between GA102 and AD102 which features 64 TFLOPs. So we have 350 watts at 64 TFLOPs.

8 watt (around that is in the power budget for a Switch SoC) = 64*8/350= 1.46 tflops. Meaning this is totally realistic and not far fetched at all.

Plus, it makes sense for Nvidia to subvention the SoC for Nintendo, as they could deliver the RTX ecosystem into the console space, which benefits GeForce GPUs as well. It all makes perfect sense.

DLSS is that the upscale sort of falls apart when the internal resolution drops below 1080p.

This is simply not true anymore with DLSS 2.0. It even does a good job at upscaling 540p to 1080p. I know this because I have an RTX GPU personally. Also see this video:

Last edited:
This is simply not true anymore with DLSS 2.0. It even does a good job at upscaling 540p to 1080p. I know this because I have an RTX GPU personally. Also see this video:

Eh, I suppose this is subjective. Also, that video’s not a very lengthy look at going from 540p > 1080p, which is really what we’re talking about here.

I know I’m taking the negative position, but I tend to be the optimist about these things. Stuff like mesh shaders, VRS, and DLSS definitely make 1.5TF a lot more potent than it sounds. That said, 540p is really low detail. I’d like to see examples of text and fine details in textures up scaled this way. I doubt they’d hold up well.

In my mind, DLSS is the technical marvel that saves us from the performance tyranny of 4K marketing hype. Mediocre 4K is way more acceptable than mediocre 1080p.

Derktron

Banned
There is nothing lol about this, it is basically all but confirmed. Nvidia leaker Kopite is 100% reliable when it comes to this type of stuff, he basically confirmed Switch Pro using Lovelace.

Now that we know the architecture, simple math can tell us what kind of performance to expect. https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-ad102-lovelace-gpu-rumored-to-offer-up-to-18432-cuda-cores

If this rumor is true, which it likely is considering double the performance of Ampere is realistic at the same wattage, we can calculate via rule of 3 how performant the Switch SoC at around8 watt is going to be. This should scale down perfectly linear.

Power usage should be similar between GA102 and AD102 which features 64 TFLOPs. So we have 350 watts at 64 TFLOPs.

8 watt (around that is in the power budget for a Switch SoC) = 64*8/350= 1.46 tflops. Meaning this is totally realistic and not far fetched at all.

Plus, it makes sense for Nvidia to subvention the SoC for Nintendo, as they could deliver the RTX ecosystem into the console space, which benefits GeForce GPUs as well. It all makes perfect sense.
Again an Xbox fanboy is not a reliable leaker, it's Nintendo and everyone has to keep the expectations low, lol how dense can ya'll be. Wait for official information coming from devs then we can start talking.

Top Bottom