• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro to Support 720p 120 FPS in Portable Mode 1440p 30 FPS in Docked Mode

Fbh

Anyway the source linked said Switch will run at 720p 120 FPS in portable mode. That's why it's laughable.

I mean, it might.
There's $250 phones with 120hz 1080p displays that run at 120fps on menus or text based apps. It's nothing special these days.

But it's the same story. Just because these phones support 120hz and have a 120hz screen doesn't mean that the framerate doesn't tank to 25fps when playing ghensing impact or some other demanding game.

Last edited:

MrSec84

Those native resolutions don't make much sense really, not when DLSS 2.0 is on the cards and Nintendo would be stupid to not use it.
DLSS 2.0's ultra performance mode can take 853X480 to 1440p, with pretty good results in Image Quality, if Switch Pro was running at 120FPS in portable then it would be probably running at around 360p native to scale to 1080p then downsample to 720p for a cleaner image.

This video shows a good example of what Ultra Performance can do:

daclynk

anyone excepting Ray tracing is delusional. also why i think its fake is mario kart will be 1440p 30 how?

This sounds fake. Why would you target 120 and 30 fps? 120fps in handheld is stupid and not worth the battery loss on top of being more useful in docked mode anyway.
Those native resolutions don't make much sense really, not when DLSS 2.0 is on the cards and Nintendo would be stupid to not use it.
DLSS 2.0's ultra performance mode can take 853X480 to 1440p, with pretty good results in Image Quality, if Switch Pro was running at 120FPS in portable then it would be probably running at around 360p native to scale to 1080p then downsample to 720p for a cleaner image.

Support for DLSS doesn't mean every game can use it. Games have to be developed with DLSS in mind.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That doesn’t sound like a big enough upgrade that would make me run out to replace my current Switch.

Mister Wolf

Xenoblade 1 & 2 going from 720p to 1440p DLSS would be a huge jump. I game on a 65". You don't want to see 720p or really even 1080p on that.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel like 720/60 portable using DLSS to upscale/add AA, and 1080p upscale to 4K via dlss for docked would be a sweet spot!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
720p 120fps = 110.592.000 pixels per second
1440p 30fps = 110.592.000 pixels per second

That means there is no difference in terms of power/performance between Portable and Docked.

Something is wrong here.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Whoever made up these numbers didnt do the maths first.
Unless we are meant to assume the Super Switch uses the same frequencies in docked and portable.

Maybe they are making a nextgen console when docked could probably have more/faster ram, more processing power when docked, use dual gpus one on the portable machine the other on the docking station! Who knows but itll surely be expensive thats if its ps4 pro/ series s category.. when docked

FingerBang

The switch pro just needs some more juice to get AAA games at 720/60fps in portable mode and 1080/60fps in docked mode. DLSS can take care of the rest. The image is going to be soft, but still miles ahead of what we have now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

"According to the latest rumors coming out of Taiwan, the Nintendo Switch Pro will run at a resolution of 720p 120 FPS in portable mode, with docked mode optimized for 1440p 30 FPS. The GPU will be based on NVIDIA’s latest graphics architecture (Ampere or the upcoming Lovelace?), fabbed on TSMC’s 7nm class node with the chipset potentially leveraging a Samsung node.

The GPU core will supposedly run at around 1 GHz (base clock) while the vanilla Switch runs at 768 MHz. Quite frankly, this sounds a bit underwhelming as the latter is based on a fairly dated process. TSMC’s 7nm/6nm nodes should be capable of much higher frequencies.

It’s unclear whether the SKU will come with NVIDIA’s RTCores for ray-tracing but support for DLSS is almost confirmed which means we’ll see Tensor cores on-die. Third-party developers have reportedly already received dev-kits for the new console."
The switch is not a console. It cannot do console clocks. Higher clocks consume far more power.

The switch is a handheld that needs to be 15w or lower for not just cooling purposes but also to save battery.

Be happy if it's 2 tflops. I'm expecting 1-1.2 tflops max.

Hoping it's a docked only console.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In reality it's going to be 1080p/ up to 30 fps and you will pay for every up-patch from switch and then vomit on the forums, how great Nintendo is.

Wunray

yikes GIF by Ray William Johnson

baphomet

the panel may be 720p/120hz, but don't expect games to run at that.

the 30fps docked is total bullshit though.

This sounds a little off. But If this is true then I'll never play a docked switch game. I'm done with 30fps. That being said I find this a little dubious that there would be such a huge gap in performance between the modes, especially with DLSS at play. Let's see what happens.

Having 120hz OLED screen already screamed bullshit, but this part here takes the cake

"Nintendo has been supposedly trying to sign a more attractive deal with AMD for its Switch Pro console instead of NVIDIA but eventually decided to opt for NVIDIA’s designs."

AMD would not have a chip that would give 100% (or near that) backwards compatibility. That would be like Sony or MS trying to get Nvidia to do the chipset of the ps4/xbox one x. Complete and utter bullshit.

Astral Dog

It sounds like bullshit and its not like they need 120fps for Pro anyways. Also no way the portable mode its gonna be 120 and the Docked only 30 thats not how Nintendo does things, it doesn't make any sense

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Meh they will use the cheaper version and save that for the Switch 2 is my guess. Anyway we look at it the Pro sounds like a good upgrade,(based on the rumors at least 🤭)

Hmm 👇 sounds like a good reason to upgrade it

Last edited:

MrSec84

This sounds fake. Why would you target 120 and 30 fps? 120fps in handheld is stupid and not worth the battery loss on top of being more useful in docked mode anyway.

Support for DLSS doesn't mean every game can use it. Games have to be developed with DLSS in mind.

Nvidia says otherwise:

"One Network For All Games - The original DLSS required training the AI network for each new game. DLSS 2.0 trains using non-game-specific content, delivering a generalized network that works across games. This means faster game integrations, and ultimately more DLSS games."

Basically Nintendo and any devs working on support for Switch Pro can just use NVidia's tech to add that support across all games that will run on Switch Pro. DLSS 2.0 isn't game specific, it works on general game code.

Astral Dog

Having 120hz OLED screen already screamed bullshit, but this part here takes the cake

"Nintendo has been supposedly trying to sign a more attractive deal with AMD for its Switch Pro console instead of NVIDIA but eventually decided to opt for NVIDIA’s designs."

AMD would not have a chip that would give 100% (or near that) backwards compatibility. That would be like Sony or MS trying to get Nvidia to do the chipset of the ps4/xbox one x. Complete and utter bullshit.
Its stupid, we already know Nintendo has a 10 year deal with Nvidia anyways we should know soon enough

supernova8

Banned
There's no way Nintendo would put an Ampere (let alone Lovelace which isn't even out yet) in their console. It would smash their gigantic hardware margins (they fucking looove their margins).

rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

The Switch came out in 2017 and is running the Tegra X1 SoC (modified of course) which came out in 2015. I'd guess it'll end up being Tegra Xavier (came out in 2018/2019) based on the above pattern (of the hardware being a few years behind). If it were Ampere it would be Orin but that isn't even ready yet.

The business relationship between Nvidia and Nintendo is probably much better now (since Switch has made them both plenty of money) but still I imagine Nintendo won't want to pay what Nvidia is asking for them to build a truly custom (or even semi-custom) solution for "Switch Pro".

Then again...... Nvidia knows that AMD could offer a joint-developed ARM solution (with someone like Samsung) with RDNA2 GPU cores on it, so they might have some incentive to keep the cost down to an extent. On the flipside, AMD really has no competition in the console space unless (1) Intel and Nvidia joined up or (2) they all suddenly decided to go for an ARM-based solution (they won't because it's not powerful enough).

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It sounds like the 120fps mode essentially uses the docked power profile?

Why even bother with 120fps? there's gonna be barely any games will run at that considering the hardware, and it's gonna make battery life even worse.

Last edited:

"According to the latest rumors coming out of Taiwan, the Nintendo Switch Pro will run at a resolution of 720p 120 FPS in portable mode, with docked mode optimized for 1440p 30 FPS. The GPU will be based on NVIDIA’s latest graphics architecture (Ampere or the upcoming Lovelace?), fabbed on TSMC’s 7nm class node with the chipset potentially leveraging a Samsung node.

The GPU core will supposedly run at around 1 GHz (base clock) while the vanilla Switch runs at 768 MHz. Quite frankly, this sounds a bit underwhelming as the latter is based on a fairly dated process. TSMC’s 7nm/6nm nodes should be capable of much higher frequencies.

It’s unclear whether the SKU will come with NVIDIA’s RTCores for ray-tracing but support for DLSS is almost confirmed which means we’ll see Tensor cores on-die. Third-party developers have reportedly already received dev-kits for the new console."
This is nonsense. Fake

Xellos

30 fps docked sound like total baloney and doesn't seem to be mentioned in the clien.net link (source for the article). At least I'm not seeing it in the auto-translated version of the page.

The bit about portable 720p -> docked 1440p, 1 GHz GPU docked seems fairly reasonable to me. Nintendo will be conservative with the clocks to give thermal headroom/lower failure rate.

Top Bottom