• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Will Support 4K & Release This Year, According To Insider

e&e

Banned
I'm calling it.
It doesn't happen.

It's a new system rather than an upgrade.

How does Nintendo the company who has conditioned people to never care about graphics sell an upgrade based on entirely graphics.

I don't buy it.

I think if it happens it'll be a brand new system.
This post make my head hurt. Nintendo doesn’t care about graphics for Switch but they care about graphics for their next system?

I'm so excited to see this in 4K:

D8y5P3NVUAAbIb8.jpg

It still sold more than all the AAA HDR 4K Ray Tracing games, so people think this is a better game.

9ff19223638eda333d18337ac91fb9b9.gif

No way they release something powerful enough to play games at 4k, even with DLSS.

If anything it will be able to output at 4k but no way it renders any games at 4k or even close. I think DLSS targeting 1440p for docked and 1080p for handheld is the best case scenario. This is Nintendo we're talking about, folks.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
No way they release something powerful enough to play games at 4k, even with DLSS.

If anything it will be able to output at 4k but no way it renders any games at 4k or even close. I think DLSS targeting 1440p for docked and 1080p for handheld is the best case scenario. This is Nintendo we're talking about, folks.
It could be slightly more powerful than the XB1 without being able to output native 4K and using AI to upscale the image to 4K. All of this would still be within the parameters of a $300 machine.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I like the idea of the switch pro, but with the current sales I don’t know why the would introduce a new high end product.

Zannegan

wonder how the pro will handle handheld mode
Hopefully by having a larger 1080p screen and using DLSS to make sure the image is always at "native" resolution with a solid framerate.
It could be slightly more powerful than the XB1 without being able to output native 4K and using AI to upscale the image to 4K. All of this would still be within the parameters of a $300 machine.
That's about a 3x GPU jump for a docked Switch, right? Plus they'll probably bump the ram and the CPU, and they'll want a higher resolution screen to go with it.

It's certainly doable, and I hope they go that far with their mid-gen refresh, but I don't see them putting out a Switch Pro of that description for less than $350, and $400 seems more likely given that the Switch hasn't slowed in 4 years even without a price drop.

I just hope there's a meaningful upgrade to the joycon as well.

Derktron

Banned

I agree anything native is out of the question. I can see it outputting at 4K so that it can work on 4K tv but doing it Native 4K. I hardly see that happen. Now if it does happen I can see the Switch being capable of running some games at native 4K.

Skifi28

We getting Monster Hunter Rise which personally its my most anticipated game for 2021 but I guess most people in NeoGAF don't share my excitement for Rise.
Believe me I do, it's the reason I got a switch. But, I was talking about Nintendo's output rather than third parties.

ultrazilla

Nintendo is unlocking their full power, these games will look so good in 4K.

p1QFuDF.jpg
tenor.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Believe me I do, it's the reason I got a switch. But, I was talking about Nintendo's output rather than third parties.
I honestly can say the same about PlayStation when it comes Japanese game selections. It’s seems Sony mostly focusing on western games, in face I would say Switch has more Japanese games exclusives than current PlayStation does.

This getting worse with each generation, PS3 had way more Japanese game selection than PS4 and there is a good chance it gonna get worse with PS5.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if new hardware supports DLSS then that is HUGE for nintendo. DLSS is the real deal.

kinda hoping we get a revised Lite model alongside the Pro. i'm kinda over the hybrid approach of the switch. it's great but having owned it i think i'd be happy with just a portable console.

UnNamed

Banned
This site desperately needs a fact checker.

I remember the time when you couldn't open a thread for any leak before contact the admin first and having verified your sources, or you would have been banned.

Now the board is full of shit from youtubers who claims are insiders with their bullshits spread over the internet.

Don't know what has changed in the meanwhile.

Max_Po

Banned
I have a question, don't you need a high end card like 3070 for dlss ? or is it available on everything NVidia ?

DLSS is such a perfect and elegant solution for Nintendo hardware. You can make smaller box and still have it output much better quality graphics than it would be normally possible.

I have a question, don't you need a high end card like 3070 for dlss ? or is it available on everything NVidia ?

Nah it's supported by RT cores which were added in Turing line from 2060 and up so it's more about card being new enough not powerfull enough.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Every single Nintendo handheld had some sort of V.1.2 model where things were marginally improved and or changed

OG Gameboy - Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance - Gameboy Advance SP
DS - DS Lite - DSi
3DS - 3DSXL - New3DS

I fully expect some sort of marginal Switch upgrade following this pattern. What form it will take is hard to say.

ZywyPL

Banned
I can see that happening if DLSS is on board. Bare in mind Switch is basically a closed platform with almost nothing more except 1st part titles, and those studios would ensure the tech is properly utilized. And with DLSS Ultra Performance mode the Pro could possibly run games at 720p in handheld mode to save as much battery life as possible, and then upscale them all the way to 4K when docked.

Every single Nintendo handheld had some sort of V.1.2 model where things were marginally improved and or changed

DS - DS Lite - DSi
3DS - 3DSXL - New3DS

I fully expect some sort of marginal Switch upgrade following this pattern. What form it will take is hard to say.

There's already Switch Lite, which IMO is already a step in a better direction than the original concept.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I can see that happening if DLSS is on board. Bare in mind Switch is basically a closed platform with almost nothing more except 1st part titles, and those studios would ensure the tech is properly utilized. And with DLSS Ultra Performance mode the Pro could possibly run games at 720p in handheld mode to save as much battery life as possible, and then upscale them all the way to 4K when docked.

There's already Switch Lite, which IMO is already a step in a better direction than the original concept.

Yes agreed but if you notice in the list I put, each generation (except GBA) the newest systems would have games that you could not play on the older version of the systems. So I would expect something like that too.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
I don't give a shit about 4k. I just want god damn Bluetooth. Nintendo is like 4 generations behind on their tech.

I WANT TO USE WIRELESS HEADPHONES, YOU CLOWNS! YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?

Angry Lilo And Stitch GIF
What are you talking about, no current generation console has that, not even the PS5. Yet you’re saying PlayStation had it since PS1? FFS

Last edited:
WiiU CPU was way less powerful, "abysmal" as devs called it at the time.
*ONE developer said that, namely 4A games but I take it as "We are a PC developer and we barely want to work on consoles as it is so we don't want more hardship." They barely wanted to do a ps3 version of last light which was significantly worse than 360's port.

Cpu is still significantly worse though. IPC was higher on espresso compared to the in order Xenon on 360, but it was really let down by its floating point performance which per clock is the same as GC/Wii/OG Xbox

belmarduk

Two voices in my head right now:

1. No way a full hardware revision is releasing while Switch continues to sell gangbusters.

2. So thats the reason the first party big hitters are being held back ..

Very good points. It would have to be a Switch Pro or some other kind of enhanced Switch.

I still don't think they are going to deliver native 1080p@60fps with their next console.
You mean Nintendo's own games? I really really doubt they won't have dlss if we are talking switch 2, not *new* nintendo switch model, but if they didn't I can at least see their own games hitting native 1080p across the board, things like Luigi's mansion 3 and Mk8 are already there.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

DS - DS Lite - DSi
3DS - 3DSXL - New3DS

They already updated the battery life of the dockable version and put out a switch lite. Why do you expect more in the 5th year of it's life cycle?

Gameboy color was ages after the GB. GBA SP was just a tweak of the form factor/backlighting. All the DSs had the same specs for gaming. The 3DSXL was just a form factor difference and came quick.

The only real hardware upgrade was the New3DS. That had a handful of titles that could only be run on it as opposed to the vanilla. How well did that model do at increasing sales to new customers and how well did the special games do to warrant such an upgrade/market split?

This post make my head hurt. Nintendo doesn’t care about graphics for Switch but they care about graphics for their next system?
Your post kind of hurts my head as there is nothing contradictory at all about the post you commented on. It is clear the poster was saying Nintendo doesn't care enough about graphics alone to invest in upgrading the graphics of their current platform instead of putting those resources towards the next platform. That is a pretty reasonable view considering the Wii/WiiU/Switch pattern since the mid 2000s. It is not 100% predictive because they did upgrade the 3DS.

Nintendo always upgrades the graphics relative to their last system, just not in the pissing contest sort of way that most gamers want. One can say they don't care about adding the latest and greatest graphics tech while also wondering what improvements they will bring to their next system.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They already updated the battery life of the dockable version and put out a switch lite. Why do you expect more in the 5th year of it's life cycle?

Gameboy color was ages after the GB. GBA SP was just a tweak of the form factor/backlighting. All the DSs had the same specs for gaming. The 3DSXL was just a form factor difference and came quick.

The only real hardware upgrade was the New3DS. That had a handful of titles that could only be run on it as opposed to the vanilla. How well did that model do at increasing sales to new customers and how well did the special games do to warrant such an upgrade/market split?

Im not sure what your point is. Regardless that teh GB Color was ages after, and all your other points (which ignore DSi games that could not be played on a regualr DS). I am just saying that going by Nintendo portable history we can expect some sort of marginally upgraded/different Switch before Switch 2.

I didnt reference the change in battery just as I didnt reference the fact that GBA had 2 different screens.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This site desperately needs a fact checker.

I remember the time when you couldn't open a thread for any leak before contact the admin first and having verified your sources, or you would have been banned.

Now the board is full of shit from youtubers who claims are insiders with their bullshits spread over the internet.

Don't know what has changed in the meanwhile.
Social media has increased its influence, for one.

The entire scene being extremely slow on news in the aftereffects of COVID (no big live events, game development slowing down, new consoles being impossible to find, etc) plus a certain portion of the audience being more interested in controversy than in games themselves is another big reason.

Official announcements have to be as few and precise as possible to avoid more problems in a delicate moment, so we’re stuck with rumors mostly.

Also, you’re talking of a time when GAF had strong connections with the best sources on the scene. It’s been a few years since then.

KingT731

Im not sure what your point is. Regardless that teh GB Color was ages after, and all your other points (which ignore DSi games that could not be played on a regualr DS). I am just saying that going by Nintendo portable history we can expect some sort of marginally upgraded/different Switch before Switch 2.

I didnt reference the change in battery just as I didnt reference the fact that GBA had 2 different screens.
Weren't there only 5 DSi exclusive games? I know the New 3DS has 40+ but only 4 of them were retail games. So if anything it would be exactly like the PS4 Pro/XB OneX where some games are enhanced at best.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Seems completely unnecessary. Switch is breaking records and all this will do is make Nintendo's awfully slow release schedule even worse.

ToTTenTranz

Banned

DS - DS Lite - DSi
3DS - 3DSXL - New3DS

I think 2022 is too late for a "mid-gen" iteration of the Switch, i.e. a Switch Pro.
All the upgrades you mention from 2000 onwards happened within the first 3 years of the original console's launch, with the only exception being the DSi that launched 4 years after the DS. I wouldn't say the pre-2000 Gameboy is an example worth following, considering it 's over 30 years old and tech development had a completely different pace back then.

What I mean to say is 2020 up to right now would have been the time to launch a "Switch Pro", but whatever plans they might have had for that were IMO shelved because the Switch kept selling so well.
By the time we get to 2022 Nintendo will be on their usual 5 year cadence for releasing a new generation console with whatever hardware they want to put in it.

I feel like these news of a new Nintendo console aren't really news but more like educated guesses. After the Switch turns 4 years old, as each year goes by, the probability for Nintendo to launch a successor in the following year grows closer to 100%.
I think it's reasonable to expect Nintendo to launch a new console in 2022, or in 2023 at the latest.

mcjmetroid

Am yes.

They've tried the " pro" approach before. The new 3DS remember that? Didn't work.

If they release a new system of course it will have better graphics, they all do.
But it will also have a new gimmick as well -something to hook the casuals.

Nintendo selling a new model of the Switch based entirely on 4K is not a good enough selling point for their audience. It is to gamers on this forum but not the casuals and Nintendo should know this.

Nintendo going for graphics has never worked out for them.
It is possible that this "PRO" system will have a new gimmick as well but at that point.. why not just make a Switch 2.

LMJ

Only issue I have with a Switch Pro is Nintendo is the ONLY of the big three to on more than one occasion release a souped up version of a platform and then make exclusive games for said enhanced version...

Happened on the 64 and more recently and more blatantly on the 3DS (new 3DS)
I would hope that the sales numbers would keep this from happening again, but the 3DS numbers were phenomenal so yeah...fingers crossed

MagnesG

Banned
I think 2022 is too late for a "mid-gen" iteration of the Switch, i.e. a Switch Pro.
All the upgrades you mention from 2000 onwards happened within the first 3 years of the original console's launch, with the only exception being the DSi that launched 4 years after the DS. I wouldn't say the pre-2000 Gameboy is an example worth following, considering it 's over 30 years old and tech development had a completely different pace back then.

What I mean to say is 2020 up to right now would have been the time to launch a "Switch Pro", but whatever plans they might have had for that were IMO shelved because the Switch kept selling so well.
By the time we get to 2022 Nintendo will be on their usual 5 year cadence for releasing a new generation console with whatever hardware they want to put in it.

I feel like these news of a new Nintendo console aren't really news but more like educated guesses. After the Switch turns 4 years old, as each year goes by, the probability for Nintendo to launch a successor in the following year grows closer to 100%.
I think it's reasonable to expect Nintendo to launch a new console in 2022, or in 2023 at the latest.
No, Furukawa said on the latest meeting that Switch is only halfway on its lifecycle, Switch generation will be different because it's a hybrid.

There are even talks of making the Switch as a modular device with little iteration on future build, except for accesories like joycons in between.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Yes ok I see your point. We will see I guess. Your argument can also lead to a late "refresh". IE - Switch is selling so well that they want to extend its life

ToTTenTranz

Banned
No, Furukawa said on the latest meeting that Switch is only halfway on its lifecycle, Switch generation will be different because it's a hybrid.

That wasn't in the latest meeting, it was in the FY 2019 meeting. This year they only talked about software and IIRC didn't say much about new hardware, or rather they didn't deny that a successor is in the works.
Regardless, the Switch being halfway in its cycle during FY 2019 would mean a new console in the FY2022 (i.e. April 2022 to March 2023).

As for the console being a hybrid, I don't see how that justifies a longer lifecycle. They now have only a single gaming platform to develop instead of two, which should come cheaper to develop (even if nvidia is an expensive partner), and the fact that they're using mobile hardware to output to large screens should mean there's a higher pressure to adopt newer tech at a faster rate.

The only factor going in favor of prolonging the Switch's lifecycle is its sales, but once they come close to hitting the console's total addressable market, it's time to think of a new model.

ultrazilla

The DLSS is the "game changer" here. Not only does it improve the resolution through the a.i. upscaling but also gives big performance gains(think framerates) which is the one thing I hoped
the revision would address.

Hoping that this system will be fully backwards compatible with existing games. I want to see Zelda: BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey in glorious 4k/60fps among others. :messenger_heart:

Nintendo: Unleash the Switch Pro!

iu

iu

Last edited:
Top Bottom