• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Will Support 4K & Release This Year, According To Insider

McRazzle

So it's known the following five things are true:
1. Mariko chip stopped production in January,
2. Nintendo inventory is fairly low based on last financial report
3. BOTW2 is being held back to be shown later this year
4. Splatoon 3 is coming in summer 2022.
5. Pokemon open world game is coming early 2022

I predict the current Switch will be discontinued this year and once the supply runs out by this summer, it's gone for good.
The second half of this year Nintendo will release a stationary console; either a stationary Switch 2 or a powerful console that can do native 4K.
In March,2022 Nintendo releases Switch 2 and Switch 2 XL.

Woopah

I predict the current Switch will be discontinued this year and once the supply runs out by this summer, it's gone for good.
The second half of this year Nintendo will release a stationary console; either a stationary Switch 2 or a powerful console that can do native 4K.
I can't see them launching two new revisions a few months apart. It'll be a hybrid and it'll be late this year or early next year depending on the chip shortage and on when software is ready.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Every single Nintendo handheld had some sort of V.1.2 model where things were marginally improved and or changed

OG Gameboy - Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance - Gameboy Advance SP
DS - DS Lite - DSi
3DS - 3DSXL - New3DS

I fully expect some sort of marginal Switch upgrade following this pattern. What form it will take is hard to say.
"Nintendo Super Switch" - w/ Super Switch Joy Cons, Super Switch dock, etc.

March 2022 launch, with Zelda BotW 2 as the big launch game.

Better specs, updated design. The premium Switch / semi next gen. There will be Super Switch only games eventually.

They will try to repeat the Switch's success from 2017 to 2021 all over again. Switch to Super Switch, like NES to SNES.

Eventually they'll do a Super Switch Lite too, as they phase out Switch & Lite by like 2025.

Where does it say Mariko stopped production?

Alebrije

Well, Nintendo got back support from other studios so Switch has more games from them than WiiU.

So I guess next Switch will be hybrid but only on dock mode will be 4k and portable will be like 1080 p 60fps..

Would be great....

Diddy X

Games become 10x better when they look sharp enough so you can actually see shit, playing 360 games at fullhd or more feels so good, makes it absolutely worth it replaying them.

james franco GIF

carlosrox

Banned
Games become 10x better when they look sharp enough so you can actually see shit, playing 360 games at fullhd or more feels so good, makes it absolutely worth it replaying them.

james franco GIF

All games look amazing in 4k. The better fps the better, of course. And AA.

Dr.D00p

There is no way Nintendo will launch a new Switch unless they can guarantee enough silicon supplies from the foundries, to feed the insane demand it will generate, which in the current climate is next to impossible.

Unless & until that happens, any new Switch will stay on the shelf at Nintendo HQ.

Murdoch

All I want is 1080p/60.

I'll save 4k gaming for my PC (or PS5 if I can ever get one).

Completely agree. If the Xbox and PS5 has taught us anything is that playing games across generations is messy with loads of different versions for the same platform.

Suggest something at software level (DLSS?) that gives benefits to games without the devs having to pour months of additional support for split platforms on the same basic hardware.

I love the switch; the only issues I see in its future is a fragmentation of its hardware. It needs to be seamless.

RAIDEN1

wasnt the wiiu powerful than the PS3 so why wont this be powerful than the PS4 giving that is coming in 2021/2022 before you add factors like DLSS. as for me im hoping for 1440p+60fps with the help of DLSS.
It might be close to the PS4 power, but that is as good as it is going to get, this is Nintendo after all, they aren't interest in horse-power and haven't been since 2000/2001

If they are going to do 4k it must be using some sort of DLSS solution from nvidia, there's no way Nintendo is going for the waste of resources that is native 4k.

The odds of it being anything other than support for simple upscaling video to 4K on existing Switch hardware is extremely low.

DLSS would require completely new hardware GPU design that is also back compat with Switch Tegra and I cant see them wasting that on a Switch Pro, that would be for a Switch 2.

The Tegra X1 hardware was a dead end from Nvidia's POV until Switch, so later Tegra products are quite different CPU/GPU wise and meant for trucks/industrial usage, you cant simply drop them in a handheld casing it wont work.

I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo beats to their own drum when it makes big decisions. When it should make sense to do something or add something, some times they won't.

The odds of it being anything other than support for simple upscaling video to 4K on existing Switch hardware is extremely low.

DLSS would require completely new hardware GPU design that is also back compat with Switch Tegra and I cant see them wasting that on a Switch Pro, that would be for a Switch 2.

The Tegra X1 hardware was a dead end from Nvidia's POV until Switch, so later Tegra products are quite different CPU/GPU wise and meant for trucks/industrial usage, you cant simply drop them in a handheld casing it wont work.
Tegra X 2 could probably work for a switch pro. Xavier (volta) or newer would be reserved for switch 2

Zannegan

I could see them letting the current Switch sell through its stock and replacing it with an updated sku, but why on earth would they go with a stationary console? The hybrid has been selling like hotcakes, and Nintendo has made it pretty clear in investor meetings that they see themselves as being right in the middle of the Switch's life-cycle.

I mean, Nintendo being Nintendo, there is just no predicting them; but they don't seem poised to go toe-to-toe with the PS5/XSX with an all-new hardware generation. And if they were going to try, I don't see why they would give up their biggest standout feature--portability.

The DLSS bit makes me wonder if nvidia really developed a tegra with tensor cores. Would be very nice.
They did. They've been using them for various things for a while now. The Jetson Xavier NX kit (Jetson being the devkit branch of Tegra SoCs) was made available in... 2019? Early 2020? Something like that. Has 48 tensor cores, Volta GPU, 8 gigs of RAM, etc.

I could care.less about the 4k. Just make everything 1440p no slow down, revamp the online service, put an ethernet port in the dock, mic port on the handheld or Bluetooth mics, User names instead of friend codes, and make the pro 100% back conpat with the switch
You should be thankful if you're even getting 1080p60.

nordique

No surprise we’d see an upgraded switch

but to me the question is what happens after

Iwata originally envisioned a “family of systems” - I wonder if Nintendo will do that with the switch. Keep doing upgrades with games running or compatible across multiple generations

2021 will not happen. Only question is either early 2022 or late 2022.

Also I wonder If Nintendo will do 3 options now.
A Switch, Switch lite and Switch TV or power dock.

A super powerful Switch with a Screen and battery will be to expensive.
Or the Switch Pro will be just slightly better than the Switch.

I would love a Switch TV. Make it $199 and it would be an instant buy.

llien

If it's a modern Nvidia chip..l.
Oh, boy, I've hoped people have learned from "Switch is gonna be faster than PS4" debacle.

Most of the stuff about "ray tracing" is not really hardware ray tracing, but highly vendor optimized code running on traditional shaders anyway.

We know for a fact that amazing RT effects can be achieved on a PS4 level GPU, without any overhyped hardware tech, which seems to be just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

Dampf

Oh, boy, I've hoped people have learned from "Switch is gonna be faster than PS4" debacle.

Most of the stuff about "ray tracing" is not really hardware ray tracing, but highly vendor optimized code running on traditional shaders anyway.

We know for a fact that amazing RT effects can be achieved on a PS4 level GPU, without any overhyped hardware tech, which seems to be just a marketing gimmick.
It's not a marketing gimmick at all, you see RT cores accelerate intersections and BVH traversal which are both processes that run much slower on traditional shading hardware (SIMD), as RT cores are specific MIMD hardware optimized for this task. AMD has something similar in their new GPUs called the Ray Accelerator.

You are right that RT also can run without hardware acceleration using software like on the PS4 Pro or on Pascal GPUs, but with RT cores or Ray accelerators, these effects would run much faster and you can also increase visual fidelity at the same time. Think of it like running a VP9 YouTube video on haswell vs Kaby Lake. Both will probably run 1080p videos, but the Haswell one will use all of its resources doing so, while Kaby Lake leverages hardware acceleration and keeps cool and quiet. At the same time, a much more demanding 4K60 video would be possible on the Kaby Lake only, as on Haswell without H/W accelerated decoding/encoding 4K60 would result in a diashow.

RT cores do not consume much die space or energy, but when using RT in games, which more and more games will as it's a much more cost efficient and faster methode for developers, the benefits of having them is huge and kicks the hardware way beyond it's raw capabilities which seems ideal for the Switch 2. That coupled with DLSS, fast storage, a decent amount of fast RAM and a modern 8/12 Core ARM CPU and you have geniue next gen hardware in the palm of your hands.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I could see them letting the current Switch sell through its stock and replacing it with an updated sku, but why on earth would they go with a stationary console? The hybrid has been selling like hotcakes, and Nintendo has made it pretty clear in investor meetings that they see themselves as being right in the middle of the Switch's life-cycle.

I mean, Nintendo being Nintendo, there is just no predicting them; but they don't seem poised to go toe-to-toe with the PS5/XSX with an all-new hardware generation. And if they were going to try, I don't see why they would give up their biggest standout feature--portability
I could see them making a TV only one like the Lite is handhold only. There is no why they stop making the standard and lite if they do though. They killed the 3ds and combined everything. I don't see them going back to the two completely separate system model. Not any time soon if ever.

Neofire

wasnt the wiiu powerful than the PS3 so why wont this be powerful than the PS4 giving that is coming in 2021/2022 before you add factors like DLSS. as for me im hoping for 1440p+60fps with the help of DLSS.
You know good and well the Wii-U wasn't overall more powerful then the 360 or ps3, it had like 2 or 3 things it did better like pixel fil rate and faster loading times that's it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Theres no need to make a switch pro

Better make a full blown nextgen Nintendo system

A 16 teraflops nextgen Nintendo system with fast SSD coming in hot in 2023/24

Lets go full force ahead the other two

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

The news of a new Switch has me waiting now. But I cant see a stationary Switch. Its no longer a Switch.

IMO, Nintendo needs to stick with the hybrid approach, just refine it, make it better. Better specs, etc.

llien

It's not a marketing gimmick at all, you see RT cores accelerate intersections and BVH traversal which are both processes that run much slower on traditional shading hardware (SIMD)
Intersection is, traversal - not at all.

You are right that RT also can run without hardware acceleration using software like on the PS4 Pro or on Pascal GPUs, but with RT cores or Ray accelerators, these effects would run much faster
Now, that contradicts actual evidence we have, doesn't it?
CP2077 runs... slower, with effects looking arguably better with "old school" RT.

BQ5l4be.png

RT cores do not consume much die space or energy
You don't really know the former, although they definitely barely consume anything, while not used.
geniue next gen hardware in the palm of your hands.
Essentially we are back to "Switch will definitely be faster than PS4" times.

One important thing you've missed in my previous post is that accelerateable bit of "RT" is not that large. Ray intersections is just one of the steps, there is a lot to be done to turn outcome of the intersection (as well as prepare the structure for that ) that is done in old school shaders (and is very vendor optimized, which is why you get Dirth5 RT running faster on AMD, while NV sponsored games are faster on green cards). Switch simply lacks the beef for this push.

Last edited:

Dampf

Intersection is, traversal - not at all.

Now, that contradicts actual evidence we have, doesn't it?
CP2077 runs... slower, with effects looking arguably better with "old school" RT.

BQ5l4be.png

You don't really know the former, although they definitely barely consume anything, while not used.

Essentially we are back to "Switch will definitely be faster than PS4" times.

One important thing you've missed in my previous post is that accelerateable bit of "RT" is not that large. Ray intersections is just one of the steps, there is a lot to be done to turn outcome of the intersection (as well as prepare the structure for that ) that is done in old school shaders (and is very vendor optimized, which is why you get Dirth5 RT running faster on AMD, while NV sponsored games are faster on green cards). Switch simply lacks the beef for this push.

BVH traversal also benefits heavily from RT hardware. Nvidia does this in hardware using RT cores, AMD is doing it in software, which is one reason why they lack behind Nvidia in RT right now, with Dirt 5 being the odd one out. Ray accelerators are accelerating intersections only.

What does Cyberpunk have to do with my point that RT cores accelerate RT? The game does not even support RT via software as hardware not having RT hardware would simply be inacapble of running it at all because it's too heavy. If you want evidence, just compare Pascal to Turing in games like Metro, Control or Quake 2 RTX. As I said, you can either have better performance and visual quality, just better performance with the same visual quality, or much better visual quality for less performance. How the budget is spent is entirely on the developer. The cyberpunk devs chose to have every RT effect possible. It is true that in some scenes the pre-baked light is so good that the difference is pretty minor, like in your screenshot, CP2077 has a quite sophisticated traditional rendering pipeline. But at the same time there are dozens of scenes in Cyberpunk where RT makes a huge difference, almost a generational leap, so I would recommend you look further into the matter rather than choosing scenes where it not makes a big difference.

carlosrox

Banned
What TV is this? Why 720p game looks so crisp on it?

Well the pics are in photo mode so the game doesn't look quite this good during gameplay. Photo mode increases the settings on a couple things - not sure what exactly but I'm pretty sure it goes to 1080p with possible AA/texture increase. However the game still looks gorgeous.

I forget the exact model name but it's a pretty solid Sony 4K TV. The LG CX my brother has is easily the best TV I've ever seen (almost unnaturally looking - in a good way - deep blacks as long as the source material is clean) and everything looks significantly better on it. Anyone who can afford one should get one, it's seriously that good.

Okamiden

Well the pics are in photo mode so the game doesn't look quite this good during gameplay. Photo mode increases the settings on a couple things - not sure what exactly but I'm pretty sure it goes to 1080p with possible AA/texture increase. However the game still looks gorgeous.

I forget the exact model name but it's a pretty solid Sony 4K TV. The LG CX my brother has is easily the best TV I've ever seen (almost unnaturally looking - in a good way - deep blacks as long as the source material is clean) and everything looks significantly better on it. Anyone who can afford one should get one, it's seriously that good.
Ok, so it's 4k TV after all. 720p games look like a blurry mess on it. I played some ps3 games on my LG C9 and it was horrendous. Main reason why I wait for a Super Switch.

Top Bottom