• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch running Breath of The Wild on Jimmy Fallon

So, that was probably the E3 demo, right?

I don't believe Nintendo would make a new demo build just for this... Is it more likely they got the existing demo running on the Switch?

LordKano

So, that was probably the E3 demo, right?

I don't believe Nintendo would make a new demo build just for this... Is it more likely they got the existing demo running on the Switch?

That's not really how it works. The build showed at E3 is tied to the Wii U version. They probably made the demo for this show.

That's not really how it works. The build showed at E3 is tied to the Wii U version. They probably made the demo for this show.
So, you think they built an entire new demo vs a quick and dirty port for less than a minutes of airtime? If the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U and they have obviously created tools to easily port from Wii U to Switch, why would they waste time making a new demo?
A quick port that plays as well as the Wii U is plenty for their purposes.

LordKano

So, you think they built an entire new demo vs a quick and dirty port for less than a minutes of airtime? If the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U and they have obviously created tools to easily port from Wii U to Switch, why would they waste time making a new demo?

There will be new demos of the game in one month, maybe it was a glimpse of what the future demo will offer.

A quick port that plays as well as the Wii U is plenty for their purposes.

I'd argue that it wasn't made for the SHOW, but rather they brought the Switch Demo build TO the show. And that will be the build they will use for January. Also that was on a projected screen.

Oreoleo

Cuningas de Häme;226290328 said:
That projector alone could be sub-1080p...

And the screen was all ripped and dirty and stuff. Do they use it as a carpet or something?
More like they don't use it all and it's been sitting in storage for years.

pswii60

Is Jimmy Fallon always one giant advertisement?

Literally, I don't know, I'm in the UK. But this is more like a shopping channel.

Nanashrew

Banned
So it's been pointed out on Twitter, that the CE marking is on the back of the Switch. Has this been talked about?

For those unaware of what the CE marking means or stands for, it's European Conformity and a mandatory marking for a product to be sold in Europe. Similar to our own FCC.

What does this mean?

LordKano

Literally, I don't know, I'm in the UK. But this is more like a shopping channel.

Every show that talk about product is an advertisement, except for the ones that are specialized in criticizing these products.

The Tonight Show is a very popular springboard that advertisers have used for decades. Normally, there isn't commercial endorsement like this, but it happens.

Though I'm pretty sure Fallon demanded that this would have a spot on his show when he saw the chance.

It can come across like that, but Jimmy is really a gamer. So, it's not surprising that he seemed to be "selling" it through his enthusiasm. But that would be genuine given that he's one of the first people outside of Nintendo to actually play the Switch.

You cannot really tell that without direct feed. We saw off screen footage projected with ton of lights aimed at it.
How on earth can you possible see that?
Have you counted the pixels on the wall?

Watching the columns on the building in the background when Reggie was playing was enough to tell it isn't 1080 even in the shitty format...

That's what's so disappointing. It was low enough to tell on that screen, so it'll be even more noticeable on a proper screen.

LordKano

The watching the columns on the building in the background when Reggie was playing was enough to tell it isn't 1080 even in the shitty format...

That's what's so disappointing. It was low enough to tell on that screen, so it'll be even more noticeable on a proper screen.

Nah, it's clearly not precise enough to draw any conclusions. Wait for the direct feed.

Beegeous

So it's been pointed out on Twitter, that the CE marking is on the back of the Switch. Has this been talked about?

For those unaware of what the CE marking means or stands for, it's European Conformity and a mandatory marking for a product to be sold in Europe. Similar to our own FCC.

What does this mean?

Have you got a link to this? It'd mean that what we saw on Fallon was an actual retail ready model.

Nanashrew

Banned
Have you got a link to this? It'd mean that what we saw on Fallon was an actual retail ready model.

CzLb7E_XcAUhfr6.jpg:large

EDIT: Here it is in the video https://youtu.be/7TJ7IUNWGl4?t=8m24s

random25

What does this mean?

The final build of the Switch passed CE certification, so what was demoed on the show is basically the retail thing. Unless you're looking for something different...

Nanashrew

Banned
The final build of the Switch passed CE certification, so what was demoed on the show is basically the retail thing. Unless you're looking for something different...

Well, for me, none of my US Nintendo systems have a CE logo at all anywhere. All of them only say FCC.

oti

Banned
- yes, Fallon really loves video games and Nintendo
- yes, he's always so enthusiastic about stuff, why do you think companies show their stuff there to begin with?
- damn the Switch is thin, so maybe they'll sell a battery back to make it slightly bigger

Oreoleo

My US phone has a CE logo on it, I wouldn't read too much into it. Might just be that they are using one SKU for NA and EU rather than having separate models or something?

Though it is interesting that it means the screen is most likely final hardware.

nekomix

Does that mean... region-free and it's the same device for every continent ?
/jk

-shadow-

Well, for me, none of my US Nintendo systems have a CE logo at all anywhere. All of them only say FCC.
If it's true that the system is region free, it's entirely possible they're building one version for all regions. Slapping all the information on the system of all the regions should be doable as far as I'm aware.

Well that or its a European model.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
My US phone has a CE logo on it, I wouldn't read too much into it. Might just be that they are using one SKU for NA and EU rather than having separate models or something?

Though it is interesting that it means the screen is most likely final hardware.

Region free........confirmed?

It could also mean that there won't be separate versions for different markets!

If it has both markings, it means that it's cleared for both markets and thus can be sold in whatever continent. Right?

Is there similar stuff for Japan?

So, no region lock?

Or am I reaching hard here?

That demo ran at 30fps right? I couldn't tell, looked smooth as fuck.

Video was a definite 30 FPS but there were no frame drops in the demo. So it's probably going to be rock solid 30 in the final game on Switch unless there's an area in the game that has an absurd amount of effects to cause a frame drop. Which makes me super excited for the guardian battles since the level of romanticism and artistry in those fights looks incredible and having a smooth framerate to view it all would be sublime.

Oreoleo

Though being region free is a reasonable conclusion to come to, wouldn't a region lock still be possible via firmware? Nintendo is a notorious stickler for locking down regions, I wouldn't bet on this just from one logo.

Nanashrew

Banned
Might be a European model, I guess. Though it would be interesting to see FCC and CE logos on it together like I see of batteries and power supplies for Playstation systems.

random25

Your US phone might be imported from Europe. Though in some products like power bricks, some companies tend to put out all the certification markings on their products as to not bother with different labeling for different countries.

Does that mean... region-free and it's the same device for every continent ?
/jk

It's possible, though there's no guarantee because we don't know if the BOTW version on the demo is region-locked and is a European version too, or the demo game they played has no implementation of region-locking yet because it's not yet the final build. So yeah don't read too much about it lol.

Edit: I must say, if the Switch has all the certification markings on the device, it's highly likely that it's region-free.

The simple fact that it was projected meant the quality was hammered and is not representative of the game.
If it were a 1080 projector and that effect happened it would be because the game was running around 720p. That's what causes that to happen, it being off screen wouldn't cause it unless the screen(projector) was sub 1080...

So, like I said... I hope it was just a bad projector, because 720/30 for a Wii U port in docked mode doesn't look good at all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it were a 1080 projector and that effect happened it would be because the game was running around 720p. That's what causes that to happen, it being off screen wouldn't cause it unless the screen(projector) was sub 1080...

I'm not sure what effect are you talking about, but are you sure you're not mixing it up with the aliasing?

So, like I said... I hope it was just a bad projector, because 720/30 for a Wii U port in docked mode doesn't look good at all.

Given that both graphics and performance seem identical in handheld mode, and given that we know from LPVG that the performance increases when docked, that means that the extra juice isn't being used if the resolution is also the same.

What this tells to me is that either the projector was 720p or Nintendo hasn't settled on a final resolution for docked mode (they might go with 900p + AA or something like that instead of 1080)

Top Bottom