• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch sets new record as best-selling console in the U.S. for 22 consecutive months

Banned
Games sell systems. There's no question the ability to make it portable helps too. Though using that to try and devalue its success is like saying the PS2 wasn't really successful because most people bought it to play DVDs.

Good for them but just like with the Wii I don't think it's going to change the market. I think their ability to influence the rest of the market died when the motion control gimmick never translated beyond the Wii. And you can tell how much it died because even they aren't pursuing it anymore.

I guess you haven't played some recent Nintendo games then?

since even the new Paper Mario has motion control gimmicks with these weird folding arm thingy... and then there was ARMS a fighting game that was designed around motion controls.

Mario Odyssey also has multiple moves you can only perform when playing with a joycon in each hand using motion controls. these moves are not necessary for finishing the game but they add depth to your moveset

Last edited:
I guess you haven't played some recent Nintendo games then?

since even the new Paper Mario has motion control gimmicks with these weird folding arm thingy... and then there was ARMS a fighting game that was designed around motion controls.

Mario Odyssey also has multiple moves you can only perform when playing with a joycon in each hand using motion controls. these moves are not necessary for finishing the game but they add depth to your moveset
I haven't played any switch games no there is one in my house and other people play it and I've never seen them use motion controls. If they're optional that could be why.

? Switch has motion controls and several games that are dependent on them.

Nintendo doesn't need to "influence" the market, they ARE the market.
There are games that literally require them? I'm not sure what it means to say that they are the market it's the top selling console but most of the top selling games in America are not switch games.

Kenpachii

Jup nintendo got lucky now also with sony and microsoft straight up asking fortunes for there shit. They will have a easy next gen this way.

Last edited:
Obviously, that the best selling games of all time are that of pure quality.

Well, they are. It is hard to design a game - an actual game with long-lasting gameplay that people want to keep coming back to. It is much easier to craft a shallow single-player experience that ends up in the bargain bin weeks after release.

Jooxed

Gold Member
aged like fine milk
7-EC67185-E109-4475-94-D8-B01-E25941139.jpg

this hurts EviLore EviLore :(

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they are. It is hard to design a game - an actual game with long-lasting gameplay that people want to keep coming back to. It is much easier to craft a shallow single-player experience that ends up in the bargain bin weeks after release.
I did enjoy Wii Sports and Tetris back in 94'.

Kabelly

I genuinely more interested in an upgraded Switch. They've put down the groundwork. All they need to do is keep iterating. I know we should never have any expectations from Nintendo because they do whatever the hell they want, but Switch really is a culmination Nintendo gaming consoles. You got your VC (for the nice price of $20), you got your handhelds, you got your Animal Crossing and Pokemon. You got your home console games. You got your motion gimmick shit that people hate (Love). Ring Fit really is a hit.
This is gen 1 of Switch. I will say it aloud for Nintendo to read but I would pay for a premium Switch.

TheKratos

The best thing about Switch is I can easily borrow it when a good game comes out. I borrowed it for MHGEN and will do so again for MH Rise.

Have a look at the best selling games of all time and notice whose name pops up the most: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Wasn't doing all-time, we know who the all-time master is at selling systems and it's not Nintendo, the top Nintendo game on that list got there by being a pack-in with consoles, btw. Not sure how accurate Wikipedia lists are anyways.

I guess VR space doesn't actually use motion controls...

I wouldn't know, it's a gimmick I'm not interested in (VR) and it isn't exactly taking the world by storm.

In the current state of it, I agree. But that's not saying if won't when the price is acceptable en masse.

Video Games could very well end up like movies for me, I just stick with the older stuff besides an occasional actually good new flick, less occasional by the year. If people really want what you want then that'll be me, some nerd playing games from the "dark ages" still.

T_LVPL

I still haven’t copped one yet. Give me a TV set only version, with a Pro Controller included in the box, ability to upscale games to 1440p or 4K this year please Nintendo. That’s what i’m holding out for.

Alan Wake

Switch isnt console, technically.

It is handheld-tv-out-"console" hybrid and also handheld (lite)

Imo it is not logical to compare that into real home consoles, real as in permanently connected to tv.

I agree. It's the successor to 3DS more than a successor to Wii U.

Humdinger

First replies get a lot of attention. Everyone reads them first, and if it's a "controversial" take, people react, and then the thread goes off into the woods, with everyone responding to that first reply, rather than the OP.

I see the first reply ("Switch isn't a console") as a weak attempt to exclude the Switch, as if it "didn't count." It's part of a console war mentality that needs PS4 and Xbox to be the "big guys" and wants to sideline Nintendo as something that appeals to "a different crowd" than "us." It's been going on a long time and will continue to go on. It used to be based on "it's got kiddie games." Now it's "it also functions as a handheld."

I was a part of that myself, a few years ago. I thought Switch wasn't "really" competition for the PS or Xbox, because it was appealing to a different demographic -- Nintendo fans and the mainstream market -- whereas "core gamers" gravitated to PS4 and Xbox. It's sort of an elitist mentality that wants to exclude Switch from the "club" or minimize its success.

I own a Switch now. It's a great little console. I think its success has everything to do with the great games available on the system. Personally, I use it 100% docked.

Those sales numbers are extremely impressive, especially when you consider how sustained the momentum has been. Switch is more expensive now than when it first released, and people are buying it in droves.

Last edited:

rlmaldon

Neo Member
I think it’s a bit of a weird comparison. I never viewed the switch as like more like a Nintendo DS than a PS4 or Xbox. Seems more like a fully-fledged console with an extra feature that you can make it handheld. And the price doesn’t reflect it being in a handheld category imo. But I guess it’s all subjective.

I am sorry, but it is NOT subjective. It is fact that it is a Hybrid console, there is even a fully handheld version (Switch Lite).
I even doubt that Nintendo is going to release another Handheld as Switch will be the one for them (as in Switch is the new 3ds).

Now.. can you compare it to ps4/xbox? THAT is subjective. IMO you can not, it is more of a handheld console with a plugged option (especially because of the hyper low specs).
Just a note, i have it and LOVE the Switch, however i almost never use on the deck, most of games gets too "ugly" for me.

Kabelly

BOTW on WII U doesn't disappear and it's a home console game. Switch is a hybrid I don't understand why it's hard for people to understand that it's both but the pricing is home console pricing. Also the people saying Switch feels like a 3DS successor probably only play in handheld.

I barely take my Switch out of it's dock. And the home console games from Wii U look and run better (usually) on Switch. Splatoon 2 is actually one of the most graphically impressive games for me this gen. Looks great on the big screen.

That is why it's selling like crazy. Because it's whatever people want it to be. Your "well technically" doesn't matter in the real world.

Airbus Jr

Banned
22 consecutive months ?

Jezz thats scary number

Cant imagine when Breath of The Wild 2 drops in it will be an absolute megaton for Nintendo

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Nice.
I bought it for flights only originally and it's become my most used console within a year.

I hope they keep the unified handheld/console ecosystem forever.
I wouldn't even mind if they were separate devices in future so long as all the software is playable on both.

I am sorry, but it is NOT subjective. It is fact that it is a Hybrid console, there is even a fully handheld version (Switch Lite).
I even doubt that Nintendo is going to release another Handheld as Switch will be the one for them (as in Switch is the new 3ds).

Now.. can you compare it to ps4/xbox? THAT is subjective. IMO you can not, it is more of a handheld console with a plugged option (especially because of the hyper low specs).
Just a note, i have it and LOVE the Switch, however i almost never use on the deck, most of games gets too "ugly" for me.
Everyone is well aware it’s a hybrid. So it is subjective which it falls more in line with - console or handheld. I think it’s console for sure - the graphics? Nintendo hasn’t tried to play that game in a decade. But this is comparable to the other consoles just due to the product price point. So yeah people are going to compare them. As it definitely is Nintendo’s major console out there currently, handheld, hybrid, home or not.

Zannegan

I just wonder if they can do a full 24. The new consoles will be supply constrained, so Nintendo will pretty easily do more over the holiday, but the launches will/have sold out.

If they make it over that hump, they could end up extending the record quite a bit, even though the Switch will obviously be in decline over the next couple of years.

It's all immaterial in the grand scheme, but interesting to watch nonetheless.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
McDonalds breakfast muffin with 3 sausages, extra bacon and cheese. The absolute daddy of breakfasts. When my wife and I go to Michelin-starred restaurants for dinner we always treat ourselves to a McDonalds breakfast in the morning first to round off the day.
Ah! I do the same.

noshten

I mean there is no reason this would change in the rest of 2020 and at least the first couple of months of 2021.

exclusives
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe
- Mario Kart Live
- Age of Calamity
- Bravely Default 2
- Breath of the Wild 2
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Monster Hunter Stories 2
- Rune Factory 5
- SMT V
- Bayonetta 3

The Switch is still at full price, they could drop $50 off the Lite and OG model and still be making a profit on hardware. Lite is what has allowed them to actually expand production since it's simple to manufacture and they could diversify the supply chain into Vietnam. I expect them to get around 30 million sales WW for the year and to outperform the new consoles in the next 4 months(minimum).

With the new consoles competing with each other Switch has carved out its own piece of the market in North America, and we will only see this change as some major games release on the new consoles. So far I don't really see something earth-shattering from Microsoft or Sony announced in the first 6 months for them to outperform the Switch. So we might be looking at around 29 months at the top for the Switch before we can realistically expect supply of the new consoles to be at the needed level and a major title to drop on them.

There is also a potential revision coming in 2021, which could provide further justification to expect 2021 to be similar to 2020 in terms of hardware sales for the Switch. Honestly this year in North America it seems demand is still not met, even at the moment as they are very close to setting records in North America the Switch continues to be resold at about $60 above market value. Animal Crossing's bundle is back in stock, Ring Fit supply is finally sorted now that it's officially launched in China and you no longer need to buy it above market price, Super Mario 3D All-Stars just set a record for a 3D Mario game, Age of Calamity is set to be Koei Tecmo's best selling game in a lot of countries. I won't be surprised if Animal Crossing, Ring Fit, Super Mario 3D All-Stars and Age of Calamity end up very high in the NPD rankings for both November and December. I actually expect that if they keep the AC Bundle for the holidays, New Horizon to end up the best selling game in December.

Top Bottom