• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Trailer exceeds 16 Million Views in ~3 days (Wii U trailer: 11 mill)

Edit 3: As of November 4th, 2016, amount of views is at 19,625,216

Edit 2: 3 Days, 16,185,831 views at the time of edit.

Edit: Near the 2 day mark. trailer is at 14,153,529 views as of time of edit.

In less than two days, "First Look at Nintendo Switch" has now exceeded 11 million views on Nintendo's Youtube page, surpassing the official game trailer for Breath of the Wild and the Wii U E3 Reveal trailer (From IGN). These are the numbers at the time of writing:

First Look at Nintendo Switch - 11,611,227 views

Nintendo Wii U Trailer (E3 2011) - 11,422,341 views

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9,358,977 views

On a slightly unrelated tangent, I heard from multiple people before the trailer launched that Red Dead Redemption 2's trailer would have exponentially more viewers than the Nintendo Switch, as both launched on the same morning. So.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - 4,607,413 views

Illucio

Banned
Views doesn't equal success.

Even though the reception has been mostly positive Ive still seen people on Facebook criticize the move. But those people can't out their idea around it entirely.

Regiruler

For what it's worth, that video is the end all be all of information for the device and is far more of a social media oriented promotion. But yes, reception is more positive.

This doesn't take into account other streaming sources, such as Facebook and Twitter. Also, when the Wii U was revealed, it was streamed out by various means, so just relying on one metric isn't exactly fair.

Kathian

Banned
Its a good sign for them really. Said in another thread the games market in general clearly has a lot of people waiting to buy something new, I feel this was not really the case mid gen in the last two gens. People are not quite getting something from the current market place (which feels odd as its so diverse) but also a good sign for Nintendo - Switch has the right design and right target audience.

Can see it being reasonably expensive and dropping price in coming years whilst the 3DS is slowly taken out of commission.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Is this thing gonna play all nintendo games or are they doing the console/handheld split

They've been cagey about this, potentially just to make sure people keep buying 3DS games. They may still make another dedicated handheld in a couple years based on the Switch architecture, but way less powerful and potentially with it's own library. It is unclear!

I was really impressed with what Nintendo showed with the Switch as someone who hated both the Wii and Wii U. I really think this is gonna be a pretty big hit for them.

Day 1

Debirudog

Views doesn't equal success.

Even though the reception has been mostly positive Ive still seen people on Facebook criticize the move. But those people can't out their idea around it entirely.

Can't always please everyone. The fact that it got more views than the Wii U debut trailer is already more of a hopeful situation at least.

They've been cagey about this, potentially just to make sure people keep buying 3DS games. They may still make another dedicated handheld in a couple years based on the Switch architecture, but way less powerful and potentially with it's own library. It is unclear!

This would be my first time hearing all about that. There are a bunch of 3DS project that developers can't really port to the Switch, so it makes sense to have support for the smaller console for another year or so.

Tizoc

Well yeah; one is a trailer about an actual new console and its features, the other is a trailer for a new controller.

I hope the system launches with a game from one of the big handheld focused franchises (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter) to drive the concept home.

Oregano

This is important too. It is like night and day in that regard.

Yeah, I think the clear concise branding is a really big thing. Not just Wii U but a lot of people still don't realise that 3DS is to DS as Xbox One is to 360.

To a lot of people this will be the first *NEW* Nintendo device in a long time.

Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a big success but its a good start.

OCD Guy

On a slightly unrelated tangent, I heard from multiple people before the trailer launched that Red Dead Redemption 2's trailer would have exponentially more viewers than the Nintendo Switch, as both launched on the same morning.

Not only more views, but I read quite a few posts online claiming Nintendo would be overshadowed, it looks like it's the other way round.

More people are talking about the Switch than Red Dead.

Although Rockstar are a great developer so no malice towards them. But to be fair the games due in like a year, so people will forget about it and then all hype will go crazy once more details emerge.

Neff

A lot of people skipped the Nintendo console experience since Wii. Pokémon Go got people remembering how much they like Nintendo games. There's a palpable sense that the Sony/MS experience isn't all it could have been this gen. From talking to folks over the past few months I'm definitely getting the impression that people are more willing to pick up Nintendo hardware than they were 4-5 years ago.

Not only more views, but I read quite a few posts online claiming Nintendo would be overshadowed, it looks like it's the other way round.

Although Rockstar are a great developer so no malice towards them.

To be fair, that Red Dead 2 trailer was almost worthless. They could have simply announced the game with no trailer attached and it would have basically given me the same amount of info.

Although Rockstar are a great developer so no malice towards them. But to be fair the games due in like a year, so people will forget about it and then all hype will go crazy once more details emerge.

Those people had no idea what they were talking about. To top it off, the trailer was pretty underwhelming.

MCN

Banned

Although Rockstar are a great developer so no malice towards them.

My love for Rockstar is very well documented, but I almost completely forgot to watch the RDR2 trailer yesterday because I watched the Switch video first and couldn't focus on anything else after that.

Honestly, whoever is in charge of marketing should be given a raise. They managed to make an understandable pitch video for what should be a VERY complicated machine with like 10 setups.

To be fair a lot of people watched that E3 reveal of the Wii U live or saw it on other E3 sites. I also think Youtube probably has an even larger userbase now than it did 5 years ago, so that may represent a smaller fraction of people watching the trailer.

Either way, I'm sure it will probably do as well as the Wii U, if Nintendo brings the games.

Maebe

The reaction to it is largely positive, even from people not into nintendo games/who skipped wii generation. Looks like they made a good move.

jdstorm

Banned

Im guessing when the 7nm node is ready in a frew years we will see a die shrunk switch with a focus on improved battery life. That will likely be the true 3DS replacement.

Then at the same time the Switch 2 will be launched and it will be pushing the power envelope as much as possible

To be fair a lot of people watched that E3 reveal of the Wii U live or saw it on other E3 sites.

Well, the Switch video also has over six million FB views and that's just from Nintendo's page. It's on other video game pages and YT channels as well.

Either way, I'm sure it will probably do as well as the Wii U, if Nintendo brings the games.

Switch will outsell Wii U's entire run within its first 18 months and that's being conservative on my part.

-shadow-

It went a lot faster than I had thought it would. Keeping so long quiet no doubt has helped. Well that and me, I've probably re-watched it by now over twenty times for all the small details and other stuff not noticeable on first viewing.

bigjig

For as much as people go on about how Rockstar can do whatever they want, RDR2 talk absolutely felt drowned out next to the Switch. Felt a little lukewarm.

Well, the Switch video also has over six million FB views and that's just from Nintendo's page. It's on other video game pages and YT channels as well.

Facebook views are weird though because as soon as you scroll over/past a video it starts playing, so maybe those views aren't all people purposefully watching the video, but yes, there are likely more ways to watch videos on the internet today than there were five years ago as well.

These are objectively good statistics. I don't get why people are trying to downplay this. It's a positive sign for the future of the system.

Also not the like-dislike ratio and many of the positive comments. It was trending greatly on twitter and facebook. The amount of buzz is nothing to sneeze at.

Top Bottom