• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch UI video from some guy [named hiphoptherobot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am a barista and we dont usually carry Nintendo products at the cafe. And I am sure it is frustrating that I cant share more details but I am not sure what I can or cant share. For the sake of clarification I will say that I don't think the person I got it from knew and therefore I certainly didn't know but somewhere down the chain some switches had "mysteriously disappeared". So while it was unknown to me, once I found out that it had probably been stolen I did't feel comfortable keeping it.

wellthereitis.gif

I appreciate what he did but his original story just doesn't make any sense, especially given what he's said recently
That's reasonable, but I don't know, some people just seemed like they were attacking him, which was really odd after those same people were overcome with glee when he was giving them what they wanted.

Hattori

Banned
Well I am a barista and we dont usually carry Nintendo products at the cafe. And I am sure it is frustrating that I cant share more details but I am not sure what I can or cant share. For the sake of clarification I will say that I don't think the person I got it from knew and therefore I certainly didn't know but somewhere down the chain some switches had "mysteriously disappeared". So while it was unknown to me, once I found out that it had probably been stolen I did't feel comfortable keeping it.
Yup, this is the missing link

WadeitOut

I'm fine with being skeptical, but it's kinda crazy how some of you turned on the guy at the drop of a dime just because Nintendo looks like the bad guy here with the limited information we have.

I'm guessing others like myself didn't realize the origin him getting it was unknown. I just assumed we knew the retailer that shipped it to him. Weird that it would ever have been kept secret since it likely isn't a small mom and pop shop if it was sent from distribution.

*EDIT* Nevermind they got it from someone who stole them.

jxN3

I'm fine with being skeptical, but it's kinda crazy how some of you turned on the guy at the drop of a dime just because Nintendo looks like the bad guy here with the limited information we have.
Has nothing to do with Nintendo being the bad guy, its just obvious what is going on here.

That and it's not like anybody is attacking him, he still did gaf a solid, regardless of how he got the Switch.

Persona7

Banned
Did you receive any papers to sign when asked to send it back?

phanphare

Banned

and now the pieces are falling into place

sorry this happened to you man, sounds like you had no part in the sketchiness

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Again, I probably cant talk about details but after knowing what happened I don't necessarily think Nintendo is wrong for wanting the console back and the people I dealt with have all been very nice and reasonable. And again, I am not in any trouble but didnt feel like pushing my luck by keeping the videos up.
Sir, I dont believe you. How can Nintendo get your console back when you bought it at a store?

Edit: OK, now it makes sense

AAMARMO

Banned
Well I guess DetectiveGAF needed something to do for the next two weeks.

I might be close to something.
hiphoptherobot YOU MIGHT HAVE GOT TROLLED.

There a website called emkei.cz where you can send fake emails with any costume address.

Example:
0g7qwbl.jpg

qZfGIqt.png

Alienous

Well, that explains why Nintendo won't refund you, at least.

To those saying "well why hasn't anyone else received an early Switch unit"...

Well, we don't know if anyone has or hasn't. Other people might not be publicizing it like hiphoptherobot did (which we're all grateful for obviously).

WadeitOut

Light in the darkness here HHTR....we just stumbled on the soon to be hip Video Game Cafe idea...

lindseybp

No matter what anybody else on here says you totally did the right thing. Unfortunately people get screwed like this when they unknowingly receive stolen property. Would still love to know what company it is but understand that you can't say.

martino

If Nintendo called my house and told me to send them my system for no refund after I legally obtained it, i'd tell them to fuck off, not even playing the internet tough guy. These companies can try to sue you, but you'd easily win and get your legal fees covered too if it was as simple as the original story implied.

Once again, the only legal thing they could do is go after the store itself, the buyer is NOT liable unless they signed some kind of NDA or something.

they can also lock you from online. (but did it really matter here ?)

Wil348

Calm down. It's obvious hiphop did something sketchy.

Is it though? Seems to me like youre just saying that in defense of Nintendo, which is uneccesary since hiphop is saying that he doesn't blame them. He's obviously under NDA.

Hattori

Banned
If I'm getting this right (feel free to correct,) he unknowingly bought a stolen Switch and therefore Nintendo has legal grounds in confiscating said Switch.

Kyoufu

Lmao. There we have it. You weren't sent it early by mistake.

Alienous

To those saying "well why hasn't anyone else received an early Switch unit"...

Well, we don't know if anyone has or hasn't. Other people might not be publicizing it like hiphoptherobot did (which we're all grateful for obviously).

In this social media age there's no way it would be this quiet. If five people received a Nintendo Switch I'd expect at least two to be talking about it.

diaspora

That makes some sense. Ideally the retailer will at least refund you.

Now it was stolen?

It was apparently part of a stolen shipment, and he and the seller did not know it was stolen.

In this social media age there's no way it would be this quiet. If five people received a Nintendo Switch I'd expect at least two to be talking about it.

Eh I'd say 1/5 is a realistic number. Not everyone who ordered one is a gaming enthusiast who would post on forums like these.

Oh.

Eolz

Well, this is starting to sound a bit different.
edit: hope somehow you get a nice gesture down your way regarding that though.

Alienous

If I'm getting this right (feel free to correct,) he unknowingly bought a stolen Switch and therefore Nintendo has legal grounds in confiscating said Switch.

You can't unknowingly buy a stolen Nintendo Switch if you buy one from some person under shady circumstances. You can plead ignorance, but you'd have to be delusional to think it was obtained legitimately.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
and afaik he has no right to want the money for the switch from nintendo?

or did I not listen well enough while watching Boston Legal? >>

Scrawnton

It was apparently part of a stolen shipment, and he and the seller did not know it was stolen.
Then he lied about it being shipped to his house early. Probably had a friend who works for Amazon and a couple Switches fell off the warehouse shelves, the system could've been opened for videos/internet fame and put back on the shelf in time to ship to whomever it belonged to.

Geg

You can't unknowingly buy a stolen Nintendo Switch if you buy one from some person under shady circumstances. You can plead ignorance, but you'd have to be delusion to think it was legit.

I mean, plenty of people buy them on ebay or whatever because they can't secure a pre-order elsewhere. OP probably expected to receive it on release day same as everyone else.

Matt

Well there it is. Sorry Hiphop, you did the right and legal thing by returning it, but I would not expect any refund of your money or replacement Switch.

So, what likely happened:

Shipment of Switches "went missing"
Said shipment changed hands a few times
Eventually wound up in HipHopRobot's hands
Nintendo went "Hey that's one of the Switches that went missing"
Lawyer contacted HHR
Just because HHR didn't know the Switch was stolen at some point in its journey to him, doesn't get him off the hook for buying stolen goods
Ignorantia legis neminem excusat
Nintendo was "cool" in that they understand while he himself did not steal it, it was still stolen, so they are not pressing charges as long as he returns the console to them

Lol. How do you think people come into possession of expensive goods weeks before they're officially released??

lindseybp

and afaik he has no right to want the money for the switch from nintendo?

or did I not listen well enough while watching Boston Legal? >>

Yep, correct. He had to go after the people that sold it to him. He received stolen property which was owned by Nintendo. It sounds like he did not know it was stolen property so in that case he is just out the device and has to hope the place he bought it from will refund him the money. But if it's the kind of place that buys stuff that "falls off the truck" I don't know how much luck he will have. If he knew it was stolen property he would be at a police station right now and not on the internet.

Not

Banned
So, what likely happened:

Shipment of Switches "went missing"
Said shipment changed hands a few times
Eventually wound up in HipHopRobot's hands
Nintendo went "Hey that's one of the Switches that went missing"
Lawyer contacted HHR
Just because HHR didn't know the Switch was stolen at some point in its journey to him, doesn't get him off the hook for buying stolen goods
Ignorantia legis neminem excusat
Nintendo was "cool" in that they understand while he himself did not steal it, it was still stolen, so they are not pressing charges as long as he returns the console to them

Damn I wonder if we'll ever find out who was brazen enough to up and steal some Switches and try to sell them early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom