• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Unboxing [from the same guy named hiphoptherobot]

Isn't that the standard method of plugging anything into a computer? I mean I don't think I have ever got a USB plugged in right the first time.

The thing is... it's the USB-C port so you don't need to flip to plug it in lol

First impressions when you lift the lid are awful. Packaging makes it look cheap as hell. Like a kids toy.

Yes and the PS4 Pro packaging makes the console look like was from a dumpster.

Mideon

Please tell me more. What else of the Switch is awful? I'm sure you have a list.
Not really I have already posted my impressions in another one of the events thread. I wasn't that impressed but everyone is entitled to an opinion buddy.

plidex

I think the Pro's packaging was ok, I don't know why people care so much about a box you are going to see for 2 minutes and stash it.

WadeitOut

I think the Pro's packaging was ok, I don't know why people care so much about a box you are going to see for 2 minutes and stash it.

I generally don't but I like the packaging to at least semi reflect the hundreds of dollars inside. Sony has always had awful cheap packaging for their stuff.

I think the cool packaging thing is definitely more of a western thing popularized by Apple. Asian countries don't really mess with it even ones like Samsung. That said I have zero issues with the Switch packaging.

7threst

also hiphoptherobot...

you_bought_a_switch.gif
Gif is appreciated, but somehow the lack of colored Joycons is disturbing :)

random25

I generally don't but I like the packaging to at least semi reflect the hundreds of dollars inside. Sony has always had awful cheap packaging for their stuff.

I think the cool packaging thing is definitely more of a western thing popularized by Apple. Asian countries don't really mess with it even ones like Samsung. That said I have zero issues with the Switch packaging.

To be fair, it's Apple's "obligation" to really put tremendous effort to their packaging since it's part of how they want to promote that premium feel of their products.

The product experience as a whole, staring with the packaging, is really impactful to your overall perception of it. First impressions are incredibly important to this lasting perception of the product as well.

People legitimately save Apple packaging. It increases resale value and is shockingly enjoyable to experience when you get new hardware. As beautiful as the Switch is, I feel like it really demands a similar experience to cement itself as a modern, beautiful piece of hardware. Because the system itself is sexy enough to not look out of place in the most modern, luxurious living room.

But they threw some cheap cardboard around it and wrapped a plastic sleeve over the bits like it's a 90's Fisher Price toy.

I mean when you're paying 700+ dollars it definitely needs to feel premium.

The product experience as a whole, staring with the packaging, is really impactful to your overall perception of it. First impressions are incredibly important to this lasting perception of the product as well.

People legitimately save Apple packaging. It increases resale value and is shockingly enjoyable to experience when you get new hardware. As beautiful as the Switch is, I feel like it really demands a similar experience to cement itself as a modern, beautiful piece of hardware. Because the system itself is sexy enough to not look out of place in the most modern, luxurious living room.

But they threw some cheap cardboard around it and wrapped a plastic sleeve over the bits like it's a 90's Fisher Price toy.

Like wut lol.

Edit: oops double post

WadeitOut

I mean when you're paying 700+ dollars it definitely needs to feel premium.

They don't only do it with phones. They do it with everything. Even for cables. So does Microsoft now since Panay took over.

But again, I don't really have an issue with Nintendo's packaging because it's the way Asian companies are still doing it like I said.

The Wii, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS (not XL) had really nice packaging.

random25

You're comparing a $700 luxury product to a $300 game hardware. Also, the resale value of Apple is high not because of the packaging, but because Apple hardware itself does not drop in price as fast as the competition. Keeping the packaging just increases its chance of getting re-sold since it gives the "new" vibes even if its already used.

And the Switch packaging seems to be on par with other Nintendo hardware. Also keep in mind that in the unboxing video here, the Switch was already unboxed and just repackaged before the video capture, so it might look a little messy than intended.

plidex

I agree it's nice, but it's not something I would ever complain about.

I guess it's also more important in the smartphone market where the real user experience difference between brands is much smaller than between consoles.

Meesh

This might be weird, but "unboxings" are like going to the strippers for us game dorks kind of at times, so I appreciate this! Lol :)

Unboxings are not exciting to me whatsoever. I had no clue people care about stuff like that and how it's packaged. All I care about is what I'm getting in there. I grab it all and put the box away.

The Wii, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS (not XL) had really nice packaging.

Agreed. I don't think Nintendo has historically skimped on packaging, which is really why I find this disconcerting. MS and Nintendo have been pretty on point in recent years and I expected much of the same for the Switch.

You're comparing a $700 luxury product to a $300 game hardware. Also, the resale value of Apple is high not because of the packaging, but because Apple hardware itself does not drop in price as fast as the competition. Keeping the packaging just increases its chance of getting re-sold since it gives the "new" vibes even if its already used.

And the Switch packaging seems to be on par with other Nintendo hardware. Also keep in mind that in the unboxing video here, the Switch was already unboxed and just repackaged before the video capture, so it might look a little messy than intended.

I'm not saying that the resale value is intrinsically tied to retaining the packaging. I completely agree that the value overall is high because of Apple hardware not dropping in price as quickly as competitors. I was just noting that including the packaging does slightly boost the resale value overall. Also, not everything Apple sells is $700. It's not like only the iPhone and Mac packaging is nice. The lightning cable I bought for $20 yesterday has beautiful packaging. The $170 AirPods have beautiful packaging. My $350 Xbox One S has beautiful packaging. My Wii U had pretty good packaging. It's not just that Apple, and it's not just expensive $700+ hardware that merits this stuff.

Disclaimer: am a packaging designer. I spend a lot of time obsessing over this stuff and feel very passionate about the concept as a whole, for reasons that are definitely valid. I think everyone in this thread would probably be ok with the Switch having nicer packaging, it's just that not everyone needs it because they don't give that area of their life much thought. Which is genuinely ok! I don't think I'm objectively right here, I just think it would have made sense for Nintendo to elevate things a bit.

Remember that time a Nintendo Switch leaked out TWO WEEKS early? Lol. What a crazy day it's been. :)
It has been one crazy day, hopefully it helped get some good info out there and hopefully Nintendo isn't too mad about the unboxing and ui videos. People seem to be pretty excited overall though so I will take that as a good sign for the system.

plidex

Agreed. I don't think Nintendo has historically skimped on packaging, which is really why I find this disconcerting. MS and Nintendo have been pretty on point in recent years and I expected much of the same for the Switch.

I'm not saying that the resale value is intrinsically tied to retaining the packaging. I completely agree that the value overall is high because of Apple hardware not dropping in price as quickly as competitors. I was just noting that including the packaging does slightly boost the resale value overall. Also, not everything Apple sells is $700. It's not like only the iPhone and Mac packaging is nice. The lightning cable I bought for $20 yesterday has beautiful packaging. The $170 AirPods have beautiful packaging. My $350 Xbox One S has beautiful packaging. My Wii U had pretty good packaging. It's not just that Apple, and it's not just expensive $700+ hardware that merits this stuff.

Disclaimer: am a packaging designer. I spend a lot of time obsessing over this stuff and feel very passionate about the concept as a whole, for reasons that are definitely valid. I think everyone in this thread would probably be ok with the Switch having nicer packaging, it's just that not everyone needs it because they don't give that area of their life much thought. Which is genuinely ok! I don't think I'm objectively right here, I just think it would have made sense for Nintendo to elevate things a bit.

I think there have been several things that indicate Nintendo has made an effort to keep the price of the Switch down and that to them every dollar counts.

Video was hype, but still not as hype as the CND - Pluto date video.

No way, that would be like the Switch running out of battery halfway through the video.

Not too keen on the screen being protected by just the outside of the box, can see the boxes being handled roughly and opening it up to find a cracked screen.

neilyadig

If Nintendo was able to use inexpensive packaging to keep costs down, then fine by me. The price point here truly makes a difference, unlike smartphones which are subsidized by carriers and payment plans.

//ARCANUM

It has been one crazy day, hopefully it helped get some good info out there and hopefully Nintendo isn't too mad about the unboxing and ui videos. People seem to be pretty excited overall though so I will take that as a good sign for the system.

I haven't heard a peep from Nintendo yet lol!

WindyUnhappyAstarte.gif

random25

Part of Apple's marketing is basically to keep things look premium, from packaging to its mechanical design. That also kind of justifies its premium price too.

And yes I understand where you are coming from. But looking at it, I can say the packaing of the Switch is pretty good. It just looked a bit messy as I said earlier because it was already unboxed and just repackaged before capturing the video of the "unboxing", so it might give a bad perception from the video even if unintended.

Karanlos

That reference has been flying over my head for a while, I only know it has something to do with the Vita.

Yeah could someone explain this to us plebs?

Also lol @ the cheap cardboard comment. I bet Microsoft and Sony only use cardboard made from exotic expensive material and make up 25% of bom.

They wanted to make it clear of what you get is what you get. Now if you were a true fan and also in Japan, you would've ordered that special packaging.

nintendo-switch-my-nintendo-store-pack-shot.jpg

random25

That reference has been flying over my head for a while, I only know it has something to do with the Vita.

Yeah could someone explain this to us plebs?

Vita has a strong attachment to the so-called "anime" games.

They wanted to make it clear of what you get is what you get. Now if you were a true fan and also in Japan, you would've ordered that special packaging.

nintendo-switch-my-nintendo-store-pack-shot.jpg

If only importing to my country is cheap, that's what I would have pre-ordered.

NolbertoS

So which country and retailer broke the street date. Papa Nintendo is gonna send their ninjas and find the culprit. Good unveiling. I caved and gonna pre-order a Switch now. That is one sexy beast.

Top Bottom