• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch update 13.0.0 adds Bluetooth Audio support

alf717

Important​

• Up to two wireless controllers can connect to a Nintendo Switch system while using Bluetooth audio. You will not be able to pair additional wireless controllers until you disconnect the Bluetooth audio device.
  • Bluetooth audio will be disconnected during local communication, such as when starting a local wireless multiplayer game.

Note​

• Only one Bluetooth audio device can be paired at a time, but up to 10 devices can be saved on a Nintendo Switch system.
  • Bluetooth microphones cannot be used.
  • You may experience audio latency depending on your Bluetooth device.

JimboJones

RIP the businesses that make those bluetooth adapter things
They will take a hit for sure but they could still exist and market them as avoiding the limitations Nintendo have in place.

Also the two wireless controllers does that mean you can only pair 1 set of joycons?

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Animated GIF

A few more years and they might Update the UI to 1080p

Banned
The year when Playstation and Xbox still don't support this.

the difference being that you have like a billion alternatives to that on those, while you still can't even use a mic on the Switch without connecting your headset directly to the damn console lol

which is still true after that update btw. since it specifically says no microphone support

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
I mean I'm happy they FINALLY updated it to allow for this but at the same time if it wasn't a hardware limitation WTF did it take 4 1/2 years?

and why do we still NOT have folder support dammit?

Derktron

Banned
Just tried it on my Beats Studio Buds, while it works but the audio sounds really choppy when playing games. Hopefully, they fix that.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Most headsets that work with PlayStations, also work on the switch. It’s had usb audio for years.
yeah but there wasn't a way for a lot of them to work with the Switch in handheld mode

you don't have to worry about handheld mode with PlayStation or Xbox

amc

Everyone completely ignoring the fact none of the current consoles support Bluetooth audio I see. It's a tricky proposition with games as it can lag badly behind the on screen action. Even with aptx and the latest revision it's not perfect.

It's a problem with the Bluetooth design/codec and has slowly been improved. Nintendo are on the ball allowing this as the audio lag is something people can either tolerate or not.

Seriously, well done Nintendo for giving people choice, all the about time shit is arse backwards, they're the first.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Everyone completely ignoring the fact none of the current consoles support Bluetooth audio I see. It's a tricky proposition with games as it can lag badly behind the on screen action. Even with aptx and the latest revision it's not perfect.

It's a problem with the Bluetooth design/codec and has slowly been improved. Nintendo are on the ball allowing this as the audio lag is something people can either tolerate or not.

Seriously, well done Nintendo for giving people choice, all the about time shit is arse backwards, they're the first.
What in the ever loving hell are you talking about? The real question is, Nintendo had the ability to have us use Bluetooth this whole time and just NOW allowed it? They are beyond incompetent.

While true it doesn't support native Bluetooth (Not sure reason why) it at least supported adapter based Bluetooth devices. Could you use Bluetooth on Switch ever???

Awesome, this indicates this was a feature in the system that nintendo decided to just not activate for 4 years. They deserve no praise for this.
Considering this feature apparently costs the bandwidth equivalent of two controllers (or six? how many can you pair to the Switch normally?), and cannot be used alongside local multiplayer, I think it's easy to see why it's been put on the backburner.

Incredible. I though it was hardware design that was stopping it being there at first place. Why so late?
Evidently it was actually hardware design. Otherwise the limitations wouldn't be there. The audio connection is taking up bandwidth normally used for other Switch functions, and I suspect the old Switch models don't support low-latency codecs. The new OLED Switch may (quietly) support them though, so we'll see.

amc

What in the ever loving hell are you talking about? The real question is, Nintendo had the ability to have us use Bluetooth this whole time and just NOW allowed it? They are beyond incompetent.

While true it doesn't support native Bluetooth (Not sure reason why) it at least supported adapter based Bluetooth devices. Could you use Bluetooth on Switch ever???
Lol, it's a technical problem. It's a problem with bluetooth thicko, fuck all to do with incompetency. Nintendo are the first of the big three to introduce it. What don't you understand.

I'm no Nintendo fanboy, have a beastly PC, PS5, Switch yadda yadda Bluetooth has issues providing synced audio with games, Nintendo have obviously found a good compromise or are bowing to giving people the option. Yes any of the big three could have done it a long time ago but they probably didn't want the headache of complaints, it's a good thing.

Fuck away with your fanboy shite.

amc

Try and sync your BT headphones to your Xbox or PS4 or PS5, see what happens. You need a 3rd party dongle (which will introduce some form of audio lag, whether that bothers you or you notice etc is neither here nor there, it's happening) or Sony's proprietary headphones etc which don't use the machines BT, fuck knows how they manage it via the controllers but that's another issue.

I have some nice Sony XM3's here that I'd love to hook up, regardless of lag.

The companies have obviously used the lag issue as either a genuine reason so as to not piss people noticing lag off or an excuse to sell peripherals. Either way you ain't connecting your BT cans.

Nintendo have gotten a lot of heat for this, probably due to its handheld nature and more people wanting to connect their BT headphones. They've either said fuck it, enjoy your lag, minimal or no, or tweaked it in software and found a way to minimalise it to the point no one gives a shit.

Either way, it wasn't an option from the get go due to Bluetooth's limitations, not some Nintendo incompetency.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
My favorite part about this is they are still going to say that the app will be the primary audio chat for this system when they made BT headphones a thing now. They have had this ability the whole time yet made everybody use discord, and other services because their bullshit forced voice app was trash for years.

Urban

Try and sync your BT headphones to your Xbox or PS4 or PS5, see what happens. You need a 3rd party dongle (which will introduce some form of audio lag, whether that bothers you or you notice etc is neither here nor there, it's happening) or Sony's proprietary headphones etc which don't use the machines BT, fuck knows how they manage it via the controllers but that's another issue.

The companies have obviously used the lag issue as either a genuine reason so as to not piss people noticing lag off or an excuse to sell peripherals. Either way you ain't connecting your BT cans.

Nintendo have gotten a lot of heat for this, probably due to its handheld nature and more people wanting to connect their BT headphones. They've either said fuck it, enjoy your lag, minimal or no, or tweaked it in software and found a way to minimalise it to the point no one gives a shit.

Either way, it wasn't an option from the get go due to Bluetooth's limitations, not some Nintendo incompetency.
You know… two are home consoles and one a mobile device

amc

You know… two are home consoles and one a mobile device
What the fuck does that have to do with the price of fish.

They all use BT, thus they all face the same limitations. Bluetooth audio introduces lag, that's why none of them have introduced it for headphone audio. Either Nintendo has spent time coming up with a software tweak or have said fuck it, either way it's a problem with Bluetooth and the reason for it being held off on. Should Nintendo have included some extra radio to negate that problem, maybe but then we're into the argument of why didn't they use a stronger gfx chip or better cpu or oled from the start etc etc etc...costs, and keeping them down. Something they've done since a long time ago.

Anyway, I'm just banging my head now, the point is BT is the limiting factor and all the console manufacturers used those same limits. Nintendo have done something to quell the crowd and I'll be interested to hear their solution.

Chill.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned

Yeah It would be nice to have an option to use BT with PS5, I have xm3s too and they work pretty well with wire connected to controller, but mics dont work. Controller mics works but audio quality isnt that good.

So I just got the pulse headset and it is good enough, while noise canceling from xm3s would be nice.

Top Bottom