• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams up with Tesco for Wii U fight back

lock if old

Nintendo has booked in-store space at Tesco, will send a five page leaflet to 300,000 Tesco customers that bought a Wii but have yet to buy another console, and even give away vouchers offering money-off games

That is on top of TV ads for all its big franchises – including Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda, which will run ‘continuously from half-term to Christmas’. There will also be national press advertorials, major online activity, plus a huge out-of-home promotional tour aimed at reaching 115,500 shoppers.

Nintendo says its combined Wii U and 3DS marketing budget is ‘significantly higher’ than that of last year.

“We haven’t had the sales we wanted on Wii U hardware. We haven’t had the software for most of this year. But we have some quite ambitious numbers, particularly with some of our biggest franchises coming,” said UK marketing director Shelly Pearce.

MCVUK

Zero148

lock if old

That is on top of TV ads for all its big franchises – including Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda, which will run ‘continuously from half-term to Christmas’. There will also be national press advertorials, major online activity, plus a huge out-of-home promotional tour aimed at reaching 115,500 shoppers.
So no delay?

Robin64

tZaYNTN.png

Teehee

I guess then last weeks shelf cut to 4 titles made Nintendo take action or it was in prep for this?

Makes sense really. Tesco very rarely stocks new systems from launch and if Xbone and PS4 are in limited supply well...there's enough Wii U to go around this Xmas.

Chopper

Ugh. Shelly Pearce.

Still, will be interesting to see if this has any effect. Nintendo UK are fucking awful though so...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sounds like Tesco threatened to pull the WiiU entirely, and Nintendo had to respond. UK retailers have them by the balls right now really, and when things don't play out well, I can see the WiiU disappearing entirely from many stores in 2014.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
They need to start a pretty massive campaign all over the place to fight their way back to relevancy for the holidays.

I'll say this sounds like a start.

Vaiim

Wasn't really expected that after the doom & gloom of Tesco taking away most of the Nintendo shelf space, but nice move.

Really great to see Nintendo kicking it into gear after some quiet months though. With the new Xmas games there are really quite a few solid games for any gamer on WiiU.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Buying shelf space in stores now. It's a new low.

Robin64

There's no demand for the system. That's the problem. Not shelf space or fliers.

But between now and Christmas we have Wind Waker HD, Wii Karoke U, Sonic Lost World, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. That's on top of the existing games that are out but weren't quite "enough".

That's not too shabby.

Lexxism

Wow. So, Nintendo is finally start working their ass? Hopefully this could at least help them this coming holiday seasons.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Buying shelf space in stores now. It's a new low.

Do you honestly believe this is something new?? Jesus

Do you also think that say TLOU or GTA V posters that games shops are filled with just magically pop up the weeks prior to release?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Good, two things down in one strike: Tesco space and DK "delay". And good news, finally some marketing will happen.

gngf123

the best will be when that thread will still be in the front page in a month and this one will get 2-3 pages... :)

The sad thing is that something like this is even predictable to begin with.

Good going Nintendo, but this is small time compared to what you actually need to do.

sueil

Why didn't they have a massive ad budget last year when the damn thing launched? Isn't this a bit after the horse has left the barn.

Fularu

Banned
Any sort of link or source for that?

Please tell me you're joking?

Shelves in supermarkets are for sale. The closer to the eye level, the more expensive it gets. Oh and you want those racks in between alleyz? It's even more expensive and part of promotions.

Every one pays for that space. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Calvin Klein, Sony, Nintendo. That's how it woks.

SmokyDave

I was going to say in before SmokyDave but he's already beaten me.
Keep stalking me and I'll beat you sunshine.

/Internet Tough Guy

Please tell me you're joking?
No. I know that's 'how it works', but I wanted the specifics of the Vita deal, if they were available. He didn't say 'Sony', he mentioned the Vita specifically which lead me to believe I'd missed some retail anecdote juiciness.

OryoN

I understand that Nintendo was waiting until more software was in place to coincide with a greater marketing push, but it's almost like they like they decided they weren't going to spend a penny on marketing until that point, even while the console had been receiving a ton of bad press. Normally, I would still see them recovering quite easily, but with - not one, but two - consoles launching in just a couple months, they've got a lot of ground to cover. I've seen them bounce back from adversity many times before, but man, this might be their toughest test ever! I wish them the best, but we'll see what fate has in store.

Can Nintendo pull this one off? Stay tuned for the next episode of... "Nintendo is Doomed!"

kitsuneyo

nCAMVS4.jpg

Nintendo is tucked away down the far left.

You in Sheffield? That looks exactly like the game aisle at my local Extra. But I guess all these shops look alike.

Good news anyway, hopefully Tesco Direct will finally start taking pre-orders for WWHD and the standalone Wii Fit Meter soon.

Fularu

Banned
No. I know that's 'how it works', but I wanted the specifics of the Vita deal, if they were available. He didn't say 'Sony', he mentioned the Vita specifically which lead me to believe I'd missed some retail anecdote juiciness.

It's prety obvious Sony did it during the Vita's initial launch and marketing push.

That they gave up on it and instead dedicated their bought space to the PS3 (and soon to be released PS4) is just them trying to get the most out of their spending I would guess.

Now did they buy more space just for the Vita? Probably, do they still do? I doubt it

Top Bottom