• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teases. Masks for Zelda WiiU? Another Majora style game? What could this be?

When they first started talking about the idea of an open world Zelda, a sequel to Majoras Mask was what I immediately envisioned. I hope it's true.

ReyVGM

The teasing they did for Smash was brilliant though, a newcomer being shown every once in a while was big news and relived hyped for Smash Bros every time. We knew the game was coming out even before it was planned to be made.

Long story short, instead or releasing all your information on a big game when everyone else does it (E3, Tokyo Game Show, and Gamescom), you should release your information slowly as it's being made, showing off short trailer showing off key components of the game while not completely showing everything about those components off to keep people talking, theorizing, and excited. The key component is visual/video representation of this information, not talking about something, people need to see it with their own eyes to believe if something is happening so they can begin to break things down and discuss.

Or that's how I want companies to do things. I'm sick of E3 sometimes because you can easily miss big games or even smaller games you would of wanted to play, because you become to absorbed into the information of your favorite games being announced and or shown off. For example, I never heard of Evolve until a month before it came out, was really excited about the game because it was completely under my radar (then I discovered all that crap they were doing with DLC and completely put the game off my radar soon after.) But I discovered that game got a ton of awards for being good and here I was going (WHEN WAS THIS?)

Dude... your "short story" was longer than your "long story" :p

By the way, those quotes do not appear in the link you provided.

Moskibear

And one of the masks will turn Link into a girl, right? damn, you guys got it all figured out

peronmls

I dont want another majoras mask but another style of OoT/MM. I don't want a mask game. It was a good different change but not again.

Mistle

oh damn. if masks make a return in Wii U Zelda, it's already the greatest of all time

edit: or perhaps more likely a second original 3DS game? ALBW did randomly have Majora's Mask in it.

mantidor

Why do people want a sequel to Majora's Mask? in no way it would mean it would be a game like Majora's Mask, in fact another game like Majora's Mask would probably feel pretty dull, that's how unique the original is.

Majora's Mask is there, is amazing, let them go crazy with something fresh. And in terms of story things were wrapped up perfectly. I don't get MM fanboys to be honest, there is nothing left there to explore.

Sounds great, I highly doubt it's referring to the Wii U Zelda though. If anything we'll get an awesome 3D Zelda on the 3DS that serves as a capstone to the OOT/MM/new game "trilogy" that they seem to have established. Grezzo has done a pretty great job porting those two games to the system, so it'd be interesting to see their take on an entirely original game, with some strong guidance from the Zelda team at Nintendo, of course.

Anth0ny

Majora's Mask was originally going to have a 7 day cycle instead of 3 day.

It's been 15 years. Now's the time.

7 day cycle HD Zelda with crazy ass sidequests and amazing NPCs. EAD Tokyo joint.

TreIII

Sounds great, I highly doubt it's referring to the Wii U Zelda though. If anything we'll get an awesome 3D Zelda on the 3DS that serves as a capstone to the OOT/MM/new game "trilogy" that they seem to have established. Grezzo has done a pretty great job porting those two games to the system, so it'd be interesting to see their take on an entirely original game, with some strong guidance from the Zelda team at Nintendo, of course.

Now, THIS would be something I'd like to see.

Since they already got the engine, and almost everybody already likes the Hero of Time and his world? They could do "worse" than giving him one last hurrah in an entirely new game.

If I was going to try and look that deeply into it, I'd say that them going so far to call Fujiko Takimoto to reprise and re-record Young Link's voice for his Hyrule Warriors appearance was a hint that they're still not quite done with him, yet. But we'll see!

CorvoSol

There are masks in Hyrule Warriors. Basically every non DLC character gets a mask.

And Young Link has two masks anyway.

If anything it'll be more of a Ocarina of Time thing where it's just a fetch quest and you get to wear masks that have shallow usage at best.

Even if it did have masks, it's still won't be a Majora style game. Especially considering what they said they've been going for.

How are they going to release another original Zelda when Aonuma will be working on Zelda U till the end of the year. Dude was already a part of Hyrule Warriors and Majora's Mask development too.

The earliest a new title will come out is 2017. Why not release in the next handheld? On the next platform the engine would be really dated.

7 day cycle HD Zelda with crazy ass sidequests and amazing NPCs. EAD Tokyo joint.

That's what I was hoping for when I first heard there'd be a Zelda for Gamecube back in the day. Except for the HD part, of course. I'm still waiting ;//

So the primary gimmick of the mainline Zeldas is traveling between parallel worlds. This hasn't been touched on with Zelda U. What if the parallel world is Termina, making the world that much bigger.

banofypie

Banned
Bunny Hood should be replaced by a horse head mask that dangles a carrot in front of Epona and makes her run twice as fast.

Balls to the Bunny Hood.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
you guys sure are getting excited about a Zelda U sidequest

they aren't going to make a sequel to Majora's Mask

If they are in Zelda Wii U they will only be ancillary items in your inventory. Instead of the Lens of Truth you get the Mask of Truth, instead of a Fire Tunic you get a King Dodongo Mask, instead of a bunny hood you get a Running Man Mask. I'm sure in an massive open world there's plenty of uses the masks could be implimented to help you explore.

Merc_

you guys sure are getting excited about a Zelda U sidequest

they aren't going to make a sequel to Majora's Mask

Yes, this is what I'm thinking too.

I highly doubt there will ever be a sequel to Majora's Mask. The Hero of Time's journey is long over.

I can feel it... A disturbance in the force... A positive one at that...

A thousand fanatics squealing in unison with joy...

Let us hope they will not be silenced.

Ozium

happy mask salesman will be an in-universe character that integrates miiverse into the world. he will give you a mask that will let you see dark souls style messages from people when worn.

there won't be a bomber's notebook, exactly, but a new character who is an eccentric stamp collector will give you a stampbook with sidequests to accomplish to earn stamps.

is such a thing even possible?

If you're doing transformation masks again, please just let me map them to the D-pad directions this time around, Reggie. Also, patch that functionality into MM3D while you're at it. Reggie please.

Zoon

Link fails to stop the skull kid and as the moon is about to hit the ground Ganon comes out of nowhere and stops it.You have to team up with Ganon to stop the skull kid but mid-game he betrays you and gets majora's mask for himself.
It's a dream I just had don't judge me.

gerudoman

As much as I loved the masks in Majora's, I'd rather have the rings from the Oracle games back. The medals in Skyward Sword followed a similar approach, but the number of them and their effects were very underwhelming.

It is gonna be masks based on nintendo characters unlocked through amiibos.

Yep, I think thats most likely.

Zelda U's mask shop could be similar to Ocarina of Time's, there are a bunch of sidequests to unlock masks in the game and you'll be able to unlock some non-Zelda universe mask by using amiibos.

I wouldn't read more into that.

I'm guessing there's probably a medium sized sidequest in Zelda U involving masks. Wouldn't expect anything nearly as robuts as the masks in MM.

FryHole

I really hope Nintendo keeps the MM concept out of the new Zelda WiiU. Zelda needs fresh ideas

I think the MM concept in terms of time travel loops should stay with MM for sure. The joy of that system though, and something that would be worth chasing in future games, was how it allowed them to create a world that felt alive, with all those NPCs going about their business whether you were around or not. I had some thoughts a while back on how they could do that in an open world:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003765

BY2K

Membero Americo

Dude.

Dude.

Map screen doesn't say the Day, though, so it's probably not the case. :(

Top Bottom