• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nint...u-fears-as-unofficial-price-cuts-fail/0112855

Nintendo UK has pledged to meet with retailers worried about the performance of its Wii U games console.

Growing dissatisfaction towards the new hardware has seen retailers Amazon, Asda, ShopTo and GameStop slash £50 off its price. But even that has failed to stimulate sales.

“We have taken the decision to reduce the price of the Basic Wii U to test the market and assess the impact of a price change for a short period of time,” ShopTo purchasing director James Rowson told MCV. “This has resulted in a smaller than desired increase in sales at this stage.”

Meanwhile, some chains have told MCV that it will be ‘looking at’ the amount of shelf space it gives to Nintendo platforms.

“Currently Nintendo has not lost space, but their mix of sales is down,” says a top buyer at one of the UK’s biggest games retailers. “We are looking to reduce slightly but must admit their silence on strategy is deafening at the moment. They’ve got to do something otherwise it is GameCube all over again.”

Nintendo has told MCV that it has a plan to stimulate Wii U’s performance in the UK. And that it will meet all its retail partners in the coming weeks to reveal its strategy.

“We’ll be speaking to our retailers directly over the next few weeks to take them through our plans for building Wii U momentum over the course of 2013,” said a Nintendo spokesperson. “We have a strong and broad line-up of software launching this year and we look forward to updating – and exciting – our partners over the coming weeks.”

Wii U has suffered from a poor release schedule since debut. This week marks the first new software from Nintendo for the platform since January. Releases include LEGO City and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate.

Darklord

Banned
You could see this coming a million miles away. This was never going to be the Wii again. Everything about it, even the market confusion about what the Wii U even was was nothing short of a disaster.

Recall

If there were some more first party games available to purchase at the same time as these reduce priced consoles then you may see a change.

Wow. Now it's getting interesting.

Again, the positive is that they are publicly calling for change and that they aren't losing space, but it's not much to hold on to for Nintendo. They clearly need to cut their price to retailers hard and soon. I suspect they were waiting out the release of their (slightly) bigger games - MH Tri, Lego City - and the unofficial cut before making a move, but they need to know if retail is still so unhappy.

EDIT:

Mind you, all the data available to GAF suggests the demand is for the Premium, not the Basic, so cutting the price there and not seeing corresponding sales bumps isn't too surprising.

Oddduck

Nintendo really needs to get their shit together with this system.

I hope they can figure something out to calm retailers.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo has botched this launch in every territory and their continued inability to date games that were supposed to be out by now amazes me.

“We have a strong and broad line-up of software launching this year”

That's what you were saying at launch, too. I'm not sure how, but this thing was just not ready on time.

They always release systems without hardware, then wonder why the systems are not selling like hotcakes and then figure people will still buy the hardware without the games support and wonder why shit is not flying off the shelves...

Wii U is the 3ds all over again...

Which means that eventually good games will come out we just have to wait. And that sucks.

SmokyDave

Why would anyone buy one, even after the unofficial price cuts?

Can't wait to buy a late port, plug my pad in to recharge three times whilst it slowly downloads, experience hard locks, miss out on DLC and probably the sequel, all the while watching the older, cheaper platforms getting all the other games I want to play!

It just isn't a tempting proposition.

Jesus nintendo, market the fucking thing. My sisters and mother heard about the PS4 reveal, and they didnt even know the wii u existed.

stuminus3

Silence is deafening indeed.

This isn't about being another Wii, it's about absolute basic marketing and strategy. Nintendo isn't talking to their customers about the Wii U, they're not talking to the press about the Wii U, they're not talking to retailers about the Wii U, they aren't doing anything about the Wii U. It's just out there. Which makes no sense to me at this point.

You could see this coming a million miles away. This was never going to be the Wii again. Everything about it, even the market confusion about what the Wii U even was was nothing short of a disaster.

I think the lack of games, specifically from Nintendo, is something that is surprising. Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101 and even Wii Fit U were all delayed outside of their initial launch window. Would those games have given the Wii U a Wii-like boost? That's certainly unlikely. But they would've at least allowed it to sustain some higher level of sales than it's currently seeing.

“Currently Nintendo has not lost space, but their mix of sales is down,” says a top buyer at one of the UK’s biggest games retailers. “We are looking to reduce slightly but must admit their silence on strategy is deafening at the moment. They’ve got to do something otherwise it is GameCube all over again.”

Below the GameCube, UK retailers. It's charting BELOW the GameCube, with fewer retail space than the GameCube, fewer third-party support, lower lifetime sales, and a shorter lifespan.

Oddduck

Can't wait to buy a late port, plug my pad in to recharge three times whilst it slowly downloads, experience hard locks, miss out on DLC and probably the sequel, all the while watching the older, cheaper platforms getting all the other games I want to play!

It'll never be a tempting proposition until they get their big first party IP's out there.

If they think Lego City is going to sell a bunch of Wii U's in the west, then Nintendo is delusional.

Jarlaxle

I know Nintendo doesn't want another GC but I would be perfectly happy if the WiiU turned out to be another GC. A bunch of exclusive Nintendo games that are great. It's all I'm really looking for from them and have been happy with my Wii U so far and by the end of this gen I'm sure I'll also still be happy and look back fondly on the great games I've played.

Where the fuckaroo is Pikmin 3? It was a Wii game FFS!!? The only thing I can think is basically they had all their teams working on 3DS getting games out for that, so maybe.. MAYBE.. we will get resources onto Wii U now.

Pikmin 3 though, where the fuck?!

Launch needs to serve the hardcore and it really did not. Can't we go back to Nintendo launches with a major Mario? (Mario Bros U was good but c'mon).

Really quite glad I didn't buy one. Situation looks pretty grim right now. Long as I can pick one up in about three years for £100 to play some SSB4, I'm good.

That said, it's only been out 4 months and the UK market is brutal. As a launch 3DS buyer, this does look rather familiar.

Jackano

Really everyone is so reacting quickly, this become even childish. 4 months on the market only, people are over-reacting, and it's not like desert shedules are new, pretty much every system have it a couple month after initial release.
I think the current state of EU economy, and the UK VG retailers recent past news make everyone pretty stressfull.

prwxv3

I think the lack of games, specifically from Nintendo, is something that is surprising. Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101 and even Wii Fit U were all delayed outside of their initial launch window. Would those games have given the Wii U a Wii-like boost? That's certainly unlikely. But they would've at least allowed it to sustain some higher level of sales than it's currently seeing.

I think the difficulty of development of HD games hit them surprisingly. Even when Nintendo should have seen this coming after watching the HD twins from their ivory tower for all these years.

javac

For the Nintendo games? Had a blast with NSMBU and Nintendo land. I mean I understand if people want more, or aren't interested in NSMBU/Nintendo land but acting like that makes the Wii U redundant while you cradle your Vita is a little odd, good games are always a reason to buy a system. If it doesn't have enough games out now for your liking, cool. But acting like no one will ever want one is silly, no?

And then you list the flaws of the system in quick succession...

Oddduck

I think the difficulty of development of HD games hit them surprisingly. Even when Nintendo should have seen this coming after watching the HD twins from their ivory tower for all these years.

I also think Nintendo has a hard time juggling 3DS development with Wii U development at the same time. Especially since 3DS games require much larger teams than DS games.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Really everyone is so reacting quickly, this become even childish. 4 months on the market only, people are over-reacting, and it's not like desert shedules are new, pretty much every system have it a couple month after initial release.
I think the current state of EU economy, and the UK VG retailers recent past news make everyone pretty stressfull.
I don't think people are overreacting.

The clock is ticking until the Sony and Microsoft juggernauts roll in to town and the way things are going Wii U will be stuck at the back of the store.

My assumption is that Nintendo have been waiting out the post-holiday results, the unofficial cuts and the financial year before making any official moves. If I was in their shoes:

-- Price cut, as deep as they can go. Make it a one-time cut and do it now. 3DS redux.
-- All of those delayed games? Get them out now. I'm assuming this is why they were shifted back, to give the system momentum into the back of the year.
-- New ad campaign, clearly separating it from the Wii.

When people on Neogaf weren't even entirely sure what the WiiU actually was following the 2011 E3 unveiling I guessed there was a storm brewing.

Jesus nintendo, market the fucking thing. My sisters and mother heard about the PS4 reveal, and they didnt even know the wii u existed.
There's nothing to market. The Wii U needs compelling software, and fast. What the hell have they been doing for the past two years? The Wii has been dead since 2011.

Yeah, there was a thread about that before the Wii U was released and many expected them to hit the ground running with HD game development (I believe I was among those). But they've obviously hit the same wall that nearly every developer ran into this generation. It's a rough one and I think those devs are happy that those days are way behind them.

JDSN

Banned
Considering their launch failure with Fire Emblem and Lego City Undercover, it seems to me that the western branches secretly want to see Nintendo in flames.

NotLiquid

Permanent price cut will only last so far. Basic model is absolutely unappealing. Games will eventually arrive but we don't know when.

Retailers need to convince Nintendo to fucking market the thing properly. That's really the only thing they could reasonably influence right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I guess, but the launch window titles should have been pretty light lifting- Pikmin 3 was a Wii game, and Game & Wario and Wii Fit U aren't exactly graphical showcases.

Top Bottom