• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

Meesh

I might actually buy a Switch for old ports 😬
I gotta be honest, the sheer amount of ports on Switch feels maddening and I should really be more annoyed just in principle but playing everything on the go feels like a just worthy reasoning, at least for me.

Andyliini

I got it, all makes sense now. This year is 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. and Nintendo will release Mario remasters and a new game (Paper Mario). Next year is the 35th anniversary of the The Legend of Zelda and Nintendo will release Zelda remasters and a new game ( BotW sequel). Switch will become ultimate Mario/Zelda machine.

At least in my dreams.

I got it, all makes sense now. This year is 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. and Nintendo will release Mario remasters and a new game (Paper Mario). Next year is the 35th anniversary of the The Legend of Zelda and Nintendo will release Zelda remasters and a new game ( BotW sequel). Switch will become ultimate Mario/Zelda machine.

At least in my dreams.

Next year is also the 35th anniversary of Metroid 👀👀

That aside, I am genuinely curious if there's anything to that rumor about a Super Metroid remake from last year...

I hope not, Super Metroid is the unique game that can only be ruined by being done again. Aside from a relative floaty jump, it has no issue that needs to be fixed. I want to see them doing a new story.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I hope not, Super Metroid is the unique game that can only be ruined by being done again. Aside from a relative floaty jump, it has no issue that needs to be fixed. I want to see them doing a new story.

The most I'd want to see is a Master Quest-style remix using the same 16-bit art... alongside the original game, of course. It really isn't a game that would benefit from mucking with the core design, and it definitely doesn't need some stupid counter system. There were rumblings of A Link to the Past coming to Switch waaaay back, too, but nothing ever came of that, so... not sure how much stock I put in any of those at this point.

Either way, off topic. Mario Galaxy! 3D World!

Trilobit

Of course I'd prefer if they put their efforts in a completely new Mario game, but I'd totally be up for The Thousand Year Door since I never got to play it on the 'cube.

latest

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Give me a straight up Super Mario 64 remaster without the crappy gimmicks of the DS version and I'll buy it. Full price, no questions asked.

In fact, there are so many N64 games I would love seeing revisited. No added content, just give me the original games with better graphics, audio quality and framerate.

Karmic Raze

At least in my dreams.

I’ll buy a Switch if we get these rumored Mario remasters. I never got to play Sunshine or the Galaxy games and 64 is one of my favorite games of all-time.

Modern Warfare is a TOTAL REMAKE despite being called a remaster by the fucking publisher while Nintendo will undoubtedly sell an emulated version of Super Mario 64 because you said so based on tales from your ass. What the fuck? Why are you making assumptions about shit you don't know while simultaneously being way off about shit that everyone knows?

So Nintendo will make 5 remakes in one year? Yeah keep dreaming. Also the main response was to the guy saying people pay for COD every year so its somehow the same if Nintendo charges $60 for these ports. Its no because COD games are all brand new, how can you compare a port over a brand new game as far as pricing goes? And when was the last Nintendo sale? First party games drop like $20 in 3 years max. How bout you dont be such a N fanatic and stop smoking their crack but hey, keep paying $60 for 25 year old game. Thats a smart consumer lol.

FTFY

Age does not matter as much as you´re thinking. Quality does.
So how about you play the original then for free or way cheaper rather than playing for quality $60 25 years later as if its a brand new game. They are literally bending you over backwards and running to the bank in laughter.

93xfan

Banned
I’d be 100% on board with this.

Mario 64 is one of the best games of al time and I also very much treasure Mario Sunshine. It sold me on the GameCube.
If true, Nintendo is really making up for their silence in a huge way.

93xfan

Banned
Sunshine needs more than some graphical polish to make it worth re-releasing.

Yeah, I know some of you really like that game. It's because you grew up with it and didn't know any better.

played it in college at a friends place and loved it. That summer I got the GameCube Mario Sunshine bundle for $149. Such a great deal.

Ryu Kaiba

Lol after you paid $60 for a reskin of Link's awakening. $60 for a reskinned DS game pokemon mystery dungeon, you people believe they are going to give you all the Super Mario games in one package remastered. Laughable.

Max_Po

Banned
Lol after you paid $60 for a reskin of Link's awakening. $60 for a reskinned DS game pokemon mystery dungeon, you people believe they are going to give you all the Super Mario games in one package remastered. Laughable.

don't forget, Wii-U ports still at Full Price.

So Nintendo will make 5 remakes in one year? Yeah keep dreaming. Also the main response was to the guy saying people pay for COD every year so its somehow the same if Nintendo charges $60 for these ports. Its no because COD games are all brand new, how can you compare a port over a brand new game as far as pricing goes? And when was the last Nintendo sale? First party games drop like $20 in 3 years max. How bout you dont be such a N fanatic and stop smoking their crack but hey, keep paying $60 for 25 year old game. Thats a smart consumer lol.

Why don't you start acting like you know anything about this project and stop talking out of your ass about paying "$60 for a 25 year old game" when we have no reason to assume that will be the case?

Vawn

Banned
Of course I'd prefer if they put their efforts in a completely new Mario game, but I'd totally be up for The Thousand Year Door since I never got to play it on the 'cube.

latest

Well it sounds like Paper Mario is the lone new game in the list. Unfortunate, because I'd rather play TYD than anything similar to the last few Paper Mario games.

kingbean

I've only ever played Odyssey even though I've got all the other games in my collection.

I'd probably actually play them on switch though.

I didn't play 3D World and wouldn't mind having the chance on Switch. Beyond that, making more Mario titles available on new hardware is a good thing, but I don't see myself purchasing the other rumored games.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Not surprising really. Nintendo hasn't had a original idea since labo and arms. And much like any new idea they come up with they quickly abandon it and just go back to doing the same old re releases and franchise sequels.

I'd rather they make actual new games instead of just riding their own coat tails.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Mario 64 would rule. one of the greatest games ever.

however, i hate hate HATE when old games meant for low res are uprezzed so that all the polygons are super sharp. hopefully they will allow for a blurry low res mode at least.

a full on Odyssey style reskin/remake ofc would be mindblowing but i don't see it happening. but if.... damn

Birdo

Banned
I have a bad feeling that this will be one of those limited run Nintendo anniversary releases that scalpers buy up.

I say this because it seems too good to be true. And as someone who's been a Nintendo fan since 1986, I know that there is ALWAYS a down side to Nintendo's good decisions.

This is true, Nintendo grossly overcharges for their re-releases and get away with it every time. If it is a single package anyone expecting $60 is gonna be disappointed, I could see them selling it for more than double that.

Zannegan

At Nintendo (as at pretty much any other company) pricing and bundles are going to depend on how remade the games are. Ground-up remakes and recent ports (plus DLC) tend to be $60, while re-releases and remasters are much cheaper. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were released on Wii U for $20 a pop, and Mario 64 was, like, $10.

If they're all remade in the Mario Odyssey engine, then I could see 64/Sunshine, Galaxy 1/2, and 3D Land/World bundles for $60 each. There could even be a crazy ultimate collection for $120 or something, but unless these are heavily-updated remakes, you aren't going to see a sticker price above $60 for a 64/Sunshine/Galaxies collection.

I think the dividing line for what's bundled with what and for how much will come down to what they can fit on a standard cartridge. Remakes have higher resolution assets that take up a lot more room. Remasters/re-releases, not so much.

isual

i would like to play all of them on one cartridge. is this possible? or will they make a business decision to sell each one separately? its probably all going to e digital..

SpiceRacz

Well, it looks like 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games will be a single collection. This is going to sell like crazy. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up as the all time top selling Switch game eventually.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well, it looks like 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games will be a single collection. This is going to sell like crazy. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up as the all time top selling Switch game eventually.
If this ends up being the case, I wonder if it'll be titled Super Mario All-Stars 2

Last edited:

Ogbert

Your comparison makes no sense. You get a brand new COD with new MP and maps every year. They only have 1 game that they sold again from the back catalog (Modern Warefare 1), which by the way is not a remaster but a total REMAKE, new engine, new textures, new weapons etc and it cost $30 as a standalone. Now MW2R is coming out for the same price. Nintendo will pull out a 25 year old game and charge you $60 for it and it will go on sale in about 2 years at $10 less maximum. Not the same at all. Id rather be charged $60 for a new game than of a 20+ year odl game.

New maps!!

It feels so different!!!!

Top Bottom