• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

It would be incredible if this is going to be a single collection, but I know I'd be a fool to assume that. At the very least I hope that if they release every title independently that they each have an acceptable price and a decent amount of bonus features.

Meesh

If any of this Is legit, I wonder if it's to pad out the lineup pre BotW2. Or maybe it's an indicator the lineup is a little thin in general...
... or greed. I mean hey, if I just made a runaway success console hybrid and the the world would gladly shell out all their money for rereleases or remasters simply because the portability aspect was in fact just that appealing.... sure, I'll resell my library, why not?

TaroYamada

I hope Mario 64 is a serious remake 1, 2 I didn't get to play 3D World so that's a great announcement that I've been waiting for and wondering when I'd see it on Switch.

LordKasual

Banned
"remaster?"

Just make another 3D world please

Dear god, how many time will they want us to buy old stuff full price again. For me Nintendo are kinda dropping the ball more and more.

How much do you want to bet, each title will be resold seperately and at $60 a pop.

Last edited:

MacReady13

If it is physical, i'll buy it. If it's on the games store, then i'll STILL buy it. BUT, if they release it only as a digital download tied to the Nintendo online service, requiring me to stay a member to play these games, I will NOT purchase them and I'll get rid of my online membership. I want to OWN these games for all time.

GymWolf

giphy.gif

The rumor intensifies:

[...] now VentureBeat's staff writer Jeff Grubb has chimed in. For the record, he's the same guy who said we'd be getting two Nintendo presentations on certain dates this month, and we did. In addition to this, he's now reached out to his own source about the latest report. Here's what he found out:
For the remasters, our source is telling us that Nintendo is pursuing something like a Super Mario All-Stars 2 for the 3D Mario games. This would include Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and then Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. It’s likely that 3D World may get its own, separate Deluxe-style release. While it’s possible the older 3D Mario games could come in a single compilation, it’s also likely that Nintendo will release them individually as it did with its Zelda remasters.
The Paper Mario game, meanwhile, represents a return to that franchise’s roots. This means something closer to the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube games, which are beloved. And leaving behind the baggage of the more forgettable entries on 3DS and Wii U.
Finally, expect Nintendo to fill out the Mario celebrations in other ways as well. This could mean even more Mario games on the Nintendo Switch Online subscription service, for example.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The rumor intensifies:

[...] now VentureBeat's staff writer Jeff Grubb has chimed in. For the record, he's the same guy who said we'd be getting two Nintendo presentations on certain dates this month, and we did. In addition to this, he's now reached out to his own source about the latest report. Here's what he found out:

Gyuuhhhhhhhh man, calling it a "Super Mario All-Stars 2" just sounds amazing. I'm always a little cautious of compilations, because they're usually low-effort crap that fails to best the original versions... but I'm staying optimistic. It can't just be a few roms on a disc.

Hopefully the bit about "this could mean even more Mario games..." has nothing to do with the Nintendo Online sub. That would make it worthless. Give me more stuff I can actually buy, please and thank you.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Honestly, that's what I'm expecting. But I'm a part of the problem as chances are high that I'll pick up more than one of these :(
Same, just depends on the quality of the ports -- and the more expensive they are, the choosier I'll be. I still have ways to play almost all of those games except possible Sunshine -- but it'd be nice if they make the remasters actual REMASTERS and not shitty emulation jobs running at a higher res.

Meesh

Sony fans mad as fuck can't even pretend to have anything meaningful to say, it's full frontal shitposting assault.
Hey I'm sorry but I'm high af right now and this phrase Is the funniest thing I've read all day. Lol I might even use this in some of my day to day trash talking.
"Full frontal shitposting assault".
Solid gold.

Well, to be fair, COD nerds do that once a year.

And Galaxy is one of the greatest games ever made. So....

Your comparison makes no sense. You get a brand new COD with new MP and maps every year. They only have 1 game that they sold again from the back catalog (Modern Warefare 1), which by the way is not a remaster but a total REMAKE, new engine, new textures, new weapons etc and it cost $30 as a standalone. Now MW2R is coming out for the same price. Nintendo will pull out a 25 year old game and charge you $60 for it and it will go on sale in about 2 years at $10 less maximum. Not the same at all. Id rather be charged $60 for a new game than of a 20+ year odl game.

Your comparison makes no sense. You get a brand new COD with new MP and maps every year. They only have 1 game that they sold again from the back catalog (Modern Warefare 1), which by the way is not a remaster but a total REMAKE, new engine, new textures, new weapons etc and it cost $30 as a standalone. Now MW2R is coming out for the same price. Nintendo will pull out a 25 year old game and charge you $60 for it and it will go on sale in about 2 years at $10 less maximum. Not the same at all. Id rather be charged $60 for a new game than of a 20+ year odl game.

Modern Warfare is a TOTAL REMAKE despite being called a remaster by the fucking publisher while Nintendo will undoubtedly sell an emulated version of Super Mario 64 because you said so based on tales from your ass. What the fuck? Why are you making assumptions about shit you don't know while simultaneously being way off about shit that everyone knows?

Top Bottom