• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

ultrazilla

I really think Nintendo was going to announce the Switch Pro and had a ton of titles/games planned to show off
with it. Once the pandemic hit, it forced Nintendo to hold back on the announcement(shipping, production delays, etc).

What I think is happening is Nintendo is falling back on ports and the Super Mario Switch 3D collection to fill out this year
or at least until they're ready to announce the new system.

Anyways, I'll buy the Super Mario 3D collection in a :messenger_heart: beat. There should be no problems at all with getting all of
them to 1080p/60fps docked and 720p/60fps handheld. That right there is a huge plus IMO.

The silence from Nintendo regarding their 2020 offerings is puzzling. That's why I think they had planned on pushing new game
announcements with the Switch Pro.

Whatever happens, when Nintendo *does* decide to give us a Direct or announce their plans for the rest of 2020, I think us
Switch owners will be fine.

Horatius

I really think Nintendo was going to announce the Switch Pro and had a ton of titles/games planned to show off
with it. Once the pandemic hit, it forced Nintendo to hold back on the announcement(shipping, production delays, etc).

What I think is happening is Nintendo is falling back on ports and the Super Mario Switch 3D collection to fill out this year

Anyways, I'll buy the Super Mario 3D collection in a :messenger_heart: beat. There should be no problems at all with getting all of
them to 1080p/60fps docked and 720p/60fps handheld. That right there is a huge plus IMO.

The silence from Nintendo regarding their 2020 offerings is puzzling. That's why I think they had planned on pushing new game

Whatever happens, when Nintendo *does* decide to give us a Direct or announce their plans for the rest of 2020, I think us
it's like reading one of my 90s comic books

TLZ

Banned
Imagine playing the beautiful Galaxy games in 1080p...

The dream may finally come true. Would be great to have them both released as a bundle.

I also don't mind Galaxy's motion controls at all. They were well done.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just hoping for the Super Mario 3D World Wii U to Switch port as that will conclude the Wii U exclusives that I wanted to play but didn't since I never owned a Wii U.

Vawn

Banned

What a bold comment.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
I'm wondering how Mario Galaxy will control on handheld mood or with pro controller ?

Is Nvidia shield control the pointer with right stick ?

I'm wondering how Mario Galaxy will control on handheld mood or with pro controller ?

Is Nvidia shield control the pointer with right stick ?

Yes, with the right stick, and it's not really accurate according to Digital Foundry. Wonder how they will handle this issue for the rumored Switch port.

It all makes sense though with what Emily Rogers stated on twitter:

Combine that with the collaborations with LEGO and Levi's. The E3 would've been a huge deal for Super Mario fans I guess.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yes, with the right stick, and it's not really accurate according to Digital Foundry. Wonder how they will handle this issue for the rumored Switch port.

Gyro would be perfect to handle this. Something like holding R2 (so we don’t have to see the cursor onscreen the whole time, and drift is kept away) then tilting the controller. Those star bits don’t require the greatest of accuracy, and are a bit of a secondary aspect anyway.

I wonder if there will be any of the DS extras for SM 64, or new stuff for the other games.

Also, next year will be Zelda's 35th. But then again the BotW sequel will be taking up most of the series mindshare around that time.

mcjmetroid

Gyro would be perfect to handle this. Something like holding R2 (so we don’t have to see the cursor onscreen the whole time, and drift is kept away) then tilting the controller. Those star bits don’t require the greatest of accuracy, and are a bit of a secondary aspect anyway.
There needs to be a bit of accuracy though. Remember there were stars you had to grab to make Mario hover towards them. Sometimes that was even tricky on the Wii controller.

mcjmetroid

Shouldn’t be a problem. The gyro has performed like a champ in basically every first party Nintendo game over the last 3 years. More than sufficient for this.
It's generally not ever used as a pointer though.
super-mario-galaxy-pull-stars.png

I'm taking about these sections that require precision.

The only game I can think of that uses pointer controls on Switch is the world of goo port and they didn't perform very well if memory recalls.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's generally not ever used as a pointer though.
super-mario-galaxy-pull-stars.png

I'm taking about these sections that require precision.

The only game I can think of that uses pointer controls on Switch is the world of goo port and they didn't perform very well if memory recalls.

It doesn’t get more precise than Splatoon 2, for example, or some of those BotW arrow shots. That’s why I suggested the button toggle too, just in case there was any drift.

I totally agree that third party use of gyro is horrible, but obviously that shouldn’t be a problem here.

Zannegan

It doesn’t get more precise than Splatoon 2, for example, or some of those BotW arrow shots. That’s why I suggested the button toggle too, just in case there was any drift.

I totally agree that third party use of gyro is horrible, but obviously that shouldn’t be a problem here.
I had a pretty poor experience with the rotating ball-maze puzzles in BotW, for what it's worth.

It's a small thing, but I'm really hoping that next gen they make perfect tracking a thing, like Vive/Index lighthouse-level tracking. Hell, I'd be glad if they licensed the tech, though that's expensive and probably goes against the Switch's hybrid design.

They'll probably just stick IR cameras in the 2.0 Joycons drop two LEDs in the Switch 2's frame and call it a day. (or flip that around, and put a camera in the Switch and some LEDs in the Joycons. Worked for Playstation. *shrug*)

Woopah

Nintendo went to the trouble of announcing to their investors that there wasn't going to be new hardware. They wouldn't have done that if they had plans for a Switch Pro.

They've lied in answers to questions from reporters but this isn't the same.

Mozza

Sounds possible, However I still feel the main reason we have not had a main direct was the Animal crossing delay, the game was supposed to be released in December 2019 but the delay has pushed everything back, then add the current situation with the virus things are up in the air a little, hence the mini direct just keeping us prepped for further announcements, I would love a Switch pro too, but outside of the core minorities it's just not that big of a draw imho, and let's be honest here the Switch's problem is not demand.

ultrazilla

Nintendo went to the trouble of announcing to their investors that there wasn't going to be new hardware. They wouldn't have done that if they had plans for a Switch Pro.

They've lied in answers to questions from reporters but this isn't the same.

And again, they put out a release after that statement saying that plans can change at any time, giving them an "out".

KemoSabe

yawn...
I got all of them for Wii ans wiiu already.
Please make a compilation...
Yeah but its Nintendo so they gonna milk us for every single old game...

ultrazilla

Switch just had (probably) the best selling non holiday month of any console this generation, I don't understand why they would rush this.

Oh I'm not saying they should rush it. Everything I wrote was just my speculation only. If/when Nintendo releases a "Switch Pro", it'll
certainly be under their terms. Cheers!

Oh I'm not saying they should rush it. Everything I wrote was just my speculation only. If/when Nintendo releases a "Switch Pro", it'll
certainly be under their terms. Cheers!

I understand you friend, I should have expanded on what I said. I think that the timing is kind of shit for a Switch Pro, the OG and Lite model are still selling well, parts are probably expensive now and it could get overshadowed by the PS5/SEX if those are crazy popular assuming they come out by holiday (I don't think they will lol). I think that's why they're being sincere when they're talking about not releasing it too soon.

MagnesG

Banned
Still haven't played my bought Odyssey but I welcome these collection nonetheless.

Last edited:
The rumor about 3D World possibly going to Switch makes me happy.

Best 3D Mario, imo, and if the other 3D Marios make their way over Switch seems like a good spot to play the franchise.

Fully agreed. My favorite Mario game since the 16-bit era - it has everything I wanted from a Super Mario game.

And with rumored extra levels nevertheless. I don't think it'll happen, but what if Super Mario 3D Land would be a part of the package as well?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Fully agreed. My favorite Mario game since the 16-bit era - it has everything I wanted from a Super Mario game.

And with rumored extra levels nevertheless. I don't think it'll happen, but what if Super Mario 3D Land would be a part of the package as well?
That'd be wild, though if I had a choice between the two I'd take 3D World Bonus Levels (as if it's lacking in post-game levels anyway lol) instead of throwing in 3D Land. I mean.... 3D Land is okay but not up to par with 3D World imo.

Woopah

And again, they put out a release after that statement saying that plans can change at any time, giving them an "out".

I guess I'm just not sure why they would go to the trouble of making that statement at all. If they were going to release new hardware this year, surely it would be better to just say nothing. Then again Nintendo does work in mysterious ways.

After the cancellation of the last of us 2 I cannot wait for this, especially SM64, which is still my favourite videogame of all time. Would love a proper remake and updated controls.

93xfan

Banned
After the cancellation of the last of us 2 I cannot wait for this, especially SM64, which is still my favourite videogame of all time. Would love a proper remake and updated controls.

i thought its controls were part of the charm, unless we’re talking about the camera. If hate for it to play liked Odyssey or something.

i thought its controls were part of the charm, unless we’re talking about the camera. If hate for it to play liked Odyssey or something.

They were great at the time using the N64 controller, but with modern day controls, perhaps a little more precision would be nice?

BigBooper

This makes me Switch curious. I wonder how well they'll be able to remaster 64 though. If they just upscale to 1080p that would be pretty rough for a modern day release. There's a lot of pop-in textures at weird angles in that game. But if they try to remake it in a new engine, I don't see them getting the physics right. Tricky business.

MacReady13

Hopefully the bit about "this could mean even more Mario games..." has nothing to do with the Nintendo Online sub. That would make it worthless. Give me more stuff I can actually buy, please and thank you.

1 million % this. I want to own these "other" Mario game, not have to borrow them to play them.

Michele

you.
I'm stoked about the rumor, hopefully it won't be false in some way or another... but it does look too good to be true which is why it feels strange that newsletter sites are reporting on it.

Thank Christ 3D World is not getting forgotten. It's easily the best 3D Mario game.

Hopefully all of these are fully physical and not that "one on card, rest download" bullshit. At least for the English Asia release. A Paper Mario anthology (PM and TTYD) would be great too.

Top Bottom