• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

Very interested to finally play Galaxy. Never did, heard lots of good things. Was not THAT impressed by Odyssey tbh. But it has lots of charme...

The Galaxy games are outstanding, a true joy to play - where everything comes together perfectly. I guess you indeed have to experience them for yourself. These are some of the best games Nintendo made over the past two decades.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sony did that with PS Classic man, not Ninty

I was referring to the Mario All-Stars disc that Nintendo released 10 years ago when the series turned 25. That was a rom dumped on a Wii disc, which ran at the wrong aspect ratio and had input lag. Sony did a shitty job with the PS Classic, too, but Nintendo doesn't have much credibility here, either.

Kazza

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past remake

I hope not. I played that for the first time last year (so it's not just nostalgia speaking), and I think it still looks and sounds great. There are plenty other better candidates for a Zelda remake, such as Majora's Mask (wasn't the 3DS port more of a simple remaster?)

Very interested to finally play Galaxy. Never did, heard lots of good things. Was not THAT impressed by Odyssey tbh. But it has lots of charme...

I only played it for an hour, so maybe I need to give it more time, but I didn't think much of Odyssey either. I did enjoy Galaxy 1 & 2 though. I think a problem with all three is that they start of a little too easy. It feels a little patronising when having Mario do a little congratulatory dance, when all you did was walk to a star. I know Nintendo like to think their games are for all ages and skill levels, but I think they would be better with different difficulty levels. The NES and SNES ones don't have this problem and give you a decent challenge right off the bat.

Velius

Banned
This is fucking stupid. The only games I'm interested in for this are Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Paper Mario, Paper Mario TTYD, Super Paper Mario, Mario And Luigi Superstar Saga, Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and maybe some others but other than that, it's all fucking bullshit.

Last edited:
This is actually exactly what Nintendo need to combat Sony and MS this holiday season. This is actually fucking huge if they do this properly.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You
This is fucking stupid. The only games I'm interested in for this are Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Paper Mario, Paper Mario TTYD, Super Paper Mario, Mario And Luigi Superstar Saga, Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and maybe some others but other than that, it's all fucking bullshit.
Basically named all the games tool

Last edited:
I hope not. I played that for the first time last year (so it's not just nostalgia speaking), and I think it still looks and sounds great. There are plenty other better candidates for a Zelda remake, such as Majora's Mask (wasn't the 3DS port more of a simple remaster?)

Next year is the 35th anniversary of the series, and I guess we'll see plenty of the games revisited. Maybe even a new Zelda II (which is most in need of a remake in my opinion).

Last edited:
I must admit that i am getting inpatient and want some news on this. If this isn’t real that would be a huge disappointment. All i really want is a proper sm64 remake (best videogame for its time ever) and sm sunshine, which evoked such fond memories back in the day. I remember rewatching e3 gameplay clips and being really excited for its launch and completed it fully, despite a few tricky levels. I think it has been enough time now that i would have forgotten 50% of the game so that i can re-experience this classic. The problem was that it was the sequel to the best videogame ever made, but it genuinely felt like a sequel and a ‘holiday’. Controversial opinion, but the galaxy series felt like a bunch of minilevels, with no real feeling of it being a ‘story’ or magical. 3d world was different and great, but odyssey for me was disappointing. They put too many moons in there for the sake of it and it just didn’t feel right. Someone on here compared them to collecting korok seeds, which is true in a way and diluted the experience.

I hope we get a release for a few of them by mid summer.

Velius

Banned
You
Basically named all the games tool
F636xiP.gif

I still remember playing Mario Galaxy for the first time using dolphin and two candles (seriously) as a sensor bar.

Hopefully we see these games across multiple consoles. Sony is releasing its older exclusives to pc, id love to see Nintendo do the same for its last gen games.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is perfect for on the go fun/mobile. The legal tender Nintendo would pull in if they released that game on the Android and Apple stores..

Woopah

I reckon we'll get 64 remade, Sunshine with better textures and Galaxy in HD in one package. Don't think it'll include galaxy 2

belmarduk

Those games were all great.. except I never played Sunshine. I'll probably give it a chance.
That said, Nintendo should focus on NEW games. That will give people much more excitement.

JimboJones

I greatly preferred Galaxy to Odyssey. It felt like I was collecting a bunch of random crap in Odyssey sometimes and had that N64 open platform feel to it which I never much cared for. Galaxy was more linear but the levels felt more focused and ultimately I found it more fun to play.

Kenpachii

I greatly preferred Galaxy to Odyssey. It felt like I was collecting a bunch of random crap in Odyssey sometimes and had that N64 open platform feel to it which I never much cared for. Galaxy was more linear but the levels felt more focused and ultimately I found it more fun to play.

odyssey felt rushed, great concept badly executed.

StormCell

Galaxy felt really polished, whereas Odyssey started to feel incomplete the later into the game I got. I really didn't enjoy collecting moons, either. It was as if they created these sandbox worlds but just couldn't craft enough goals and scenarios to provide the needed moon count requirements, so they just dumped moons all over the levels.

I like Odyssey, but I came away feeling like it was one of the $60 purchases where I don't feel like I really got as much enjoyment.

Reactions: TLZ

#Phonepunk#

Banned
loved Odyssey, got like 60+ hours out of it. for a Mario game that's insane. those are some GTA numbers. yet there i was, playing through new levels well on into the dozens of hours.

really im down for any Mario thing Nintendo wants to do. remaster all the old games? im there. brand new 2d game? im there. new experimental 3D Mario entry where you play as a brick? sign me the fuck up.

magnumpy

so sick of "remasters"

how about some NEW games Nintendo? this used to be a big thing for them with the "NEW" tag given to everything back in the 3DS days :( NEW super mario brothers etc.

now they just shovel out things we've already seen :lollipop_astonished:

Last edited:

Appleprosy

I don't see why they don't do something like two or three releases with the majority of the Mario backlog. The first release could be everything up to SMW. Then 64-Galaxy? I don't know. I never played Sunshine-Galaxy, so that would be nice.

SALMORE

Am willing to pay 60$ for it because I never played the WiiU version & i heard it's good + they're definitely going to add extra stuff in it

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anyone who thought they would pack up all these games together for $60 just isn't paying attention.

Best case we get 64 + Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 + 2.

SuperGooey

I'm replaying Galaxy, and I think it has aged very poorly. Aside from hating how Mario controls (a huge downgrade from SM64 and Sunshine), the game is a constant string of interruptions. Booting up a level takes forever, forcing you to go through 2 menus and 3 cutscenes, and that number is doubled when you complete a stage, which results in you being kicked out of the state and having to go through all the menus all over again, unless Rosalina randomly warps you back to her so she can tell you nothing of importance--adding even more steps to get back to actual gameplay. This is especially annoying because text boxes are so fucking slooooooowwwwwwww.

Cutscenes aren't skippable, and there are CONSTANT camera pans that take control away from the player. Any time you do anything, the camera needs to pan to a new, obvious destination. Boss battles are shit, too. Every time you hit them, the boss battle stops to show a annoying little cutscene. This breaks the flow of the battle.

Galaxy needs a lot of streamlining, and while the boring, slow control of Mario can't really be fixed, cutting down on menus, dialogue, cutscenes and other interruptions would at least allow the player to appreciate the creative level design a bit more. As is, Galaxy is on the same level of Skyward Sword, imo. Both suffer from that Wii era of handholding and interruptions. The only difference is that Galaxy is somehow one of the best rated games of all time.

tldr; Galaxy could greatly benefit from a remaster that cuts down on the constant interruptions.

Last edited:
The only games I'm looking forward to are Mario 64 and Sunshine (to see what if any improvements), with a mild interest in the Galaxy games, due to not playing them because of the shit waggle controls.

The rest of the 3d marios can go burn in a fire. They're all piss easy and full of annoyances like glarb mentioned above.

If the indication above is they will be full priced ports Nintendo can go eat a dick with their anti-consumer price gouging. Switch will keep collecting dust.

$60 is fucking dumb for a game that's nearing 7 years old, and I can't wait to buy it.

It will contain extra levels (worlds?) if rumors are correct, and probably some minor visual enhancements. Since I don't have a Wii U anymore (my last "new" console), I would gladly pay that money as it is one of the very best entries in the series' history...and now portable nevertheless.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Make some new games nintendo jesus. They made like one main line mario for the switch and that box is out now what 3 years? How long does it take to make these bit sized games anyway.

Fake

It will contain extra levels (worlds?) if rumors are correct, and probably some minor visual enhancements. Since I don't have a Wii U anymore (my last "new" console), I would gladly pay that money as it is one of the very best entries in the series' history...and now portable nevertheless.

I don't recall anyone saying 'new/extra levels'? Is some rumor said that? o0. Now, visual enhancements is a possibility,

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone saying 'new/extra levels'? Is some rumor said that? o0. Now, visual enhancements is a possibility,

From eurogamer:
Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

dottme

Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

They don’t want Paper Mario to die peacefully. They are going to be sure that it’s really dead.

Top Bottom