• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to support GameCube along with Revolution

Ceros

I kinda don't like this stance because it will possibly use up valuable resources which could be vital to the Revolution's/Nintendo's success in the next generation.

Joe

i think ms will do this too. i actually mentioned it on the old board and people balked at the idea.

WHOS LAUGHING NOW?!?!

element

i really dont understand a company supporting two consoles at once, outside of a limited release.
Sony kinda supported the PSone, but it was with some pretty lame titles.

Nintendo's always done this, except when launching the GameCube. They always support the old console for about a year with one or two first-party releases while the new console is launching. It keeps revenues up because not everybody has the new console. When the N64 came out they still managed to release Donkey Kong Country 3 on the SNES.

The only reason they didn't do it with the N64/GameCube is because the 64 was totally dead by the time the cube launched. GameCube isn't dead so they'll start the trend back up.

I think this more of a confirmation that Revolution will be backwards compatible with Gamecube.

More Gamecubes games = more Revolution games.

cvxfreak

I think Nintendo will produce cheap GameCube hardware after the Revolution hits, for perhaps $50 or so which so go well with younger, and poorer gamers (don't mean that in a bad way). A $50 GC should also go well with people who skipped the console this generation, unlike the N64 which basically Nintendo decided to liquidate. Nintendo will probably produce another Donkey Konga or Mario Party game as Nintendo moves onto the the Revolution.

I'm fairly sure this means you're probably see Madden on Gamecube and Revolution, just like with Sony.

Don't expect many Zelda's and Mario's out for GC once Revolution hits.

It's actually a pretty good idea, once you think that the technology leap once be as great this time around compared to the last couple of generations.

cvxfreak

I think they should change the franchise into years instead of number. Of course numbers worked with the Japanese Momotarou Dentetsu series, but eh...

Norse

Would you expect Nintendo to come out and say otherwise? LOL Now that would finally be some honesty from a gaming company.

DrLazy said:
Woohoo for Mario Party 7,8, and 9!

This would be really funny because all Nintendo does is rehash Mario Party... except that they're not doing that anymore. Mario Party 6 is going to be completly different. It doesn't even use a freakin' controller.

3phemeral

StrikerObi said:
Nintendo's always done this, except when launching the GameCube. They always support the old console for about a year with one or two first-party releases while the new console is launching. It keeps revenues up because not everybody has the new console. When the N64 came out they still managed to release Donkey Kong Country 3 on the SNES.

The only reason they didn't do it with the N64/GameCube is because the 64 was totally dead by the time the cube launched. GameCube isn't dead so they'll start the trend back up.

Yea, from what I remember, Nintendo always supported the older system during the first year of the new systems life cycle... although, I do remember them stating this during the N64/Gamecube transition.

Startropics 2 for NES came out in 1994.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 for SNES came out in 1997.

I think Nintendo will support Gamecube as long as it remains more profitable than N64 was at the end of its run.

GDGF

Soothsayer
element said:
i really dont understand a company supporting two consoles at once, outside of a limited release.
Sony kinda supported the PSone, but it was with some pretty lame titles.

Because Nintendo's past consoles still sell strongly for a good while after their next generation consoles come out, and they want to keep that userbase happy.

SD-Ness

Yeah, the new SNES design was a little sleeker and more compact. I prefer the old design more though. I think they might have made a couple of games up until the release of N64, but not for long.

LakeEarth

They're just saying this so people don't stop buying the Gamecube. They just don't want anyone to say "I won't buy it cause this other system is coming out in a year". All system makers do this.

Troidal

LakeEarth said:
They're just saying this so people don't stop buying the Gamecube. They just don't want anyone to say "I won't buy it cause this other system is coming out in a year". All system makers do this.

That's what I thought too.

But seems to me like Nintendo is being unsure of a lot of things. They don't say the DS is a succesor to the GBA, and now they are saying Revolution and GC will go side-by-side together. Are they afraid of calling any of their future products their "next generation" system because they might fail? Their lack of confidence in the end will bite their asses.

darscot

The Gamecube will be dropped like a bad habit before Revolution even hits the shelfs. Also the GBA might survive a little longer if the media is cheaper then that of the DS. But basically all of this nonsense about third pillar and were going to support GamecCube is bullshit.

Redbeard

Banned
pillars.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
So they're going to support GC, Revolution, Nintendo DS, and the new/old GBA?
For a little while. I'd expect GC support to last through 2006, GBA probably a little longer. Nothing new though, as others have mentioned NES/Famicom, GameBoy and SNES/SFC all enjoyed 10+ year lifecycles...

snaildog

Well they don't have Rare to cover their arses now. Seriously, they were putting out AAA games right up to the end (Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie) which didn't sell because the N64 was dead, and then Nintendo sell them off? I'm still bitter if you can't tell.

cvxfreak

snaildog said:
Well they don't have Rare to cover their arses now. Seriously, they were putting out AAA games right up to the end (Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie) which didn't sell because the N64 was dead, and then Nintendo sell them off? I'm still bitter if you can't tell.

Perfect Dark sold over a million which is alright. I do think Rare should have delayed Conker and Tooie to the GC in the first year which would have helped sales a lot. Or release those games on both akin to Animal Crossing which, in Japan, found success on N64 AND GC in the same year.

jarrod

Banned
snaildog said:
I don't know about anyone else, but Rare's content wasn't what kept me playing N64 in it's final years. I was too busy with Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Majora's Mask, Goemon's Great Adventure, Kirby 64, Pokemon Puzzle League, Sin & Punishment, Rayman 2 & Excitebike 64 to bother with Banjo and friends...

NWO

snaildog said:

And so was Nintendo...so what's your point?

And if Rare had worked on those games faster they wouldn't have come out 3 years later. If I recall PD missed the crucial holiday sale and Conker was suppose to be a launch title or something close to it. Seems like they could only pump out Banjo games when they needed to. Rare hasn't released a game on time in ages and they have continued their tradition of delaying stuff forever onto the Xbox.

Top Bottom