• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo too focused on Japan, MS too focused on N.America, Sony win by default?

Eusis

It's been barely 3 months and you're claiming total annihilation?

A lot can change over the next 10 years.
PS3 itself showed that, and the Wii's plummet as it failed to gain a good mainstream following and thus when the casual audience left it was basically dead. I do think there's a high chance of the XB1 going from "holding on" to "completely obliterated" once the dust settles, but just as well Sony may start screwing up and Microsoft exploiting the openings. Or for something more outrageous either Vita TV or Wii U suddenly becoming smash successes that overwhelm the rest of the industry.
No Ouya though.

MercuryLS

Banned
The Playstation brand was a global hit since day 1. It's the only name that still does well in all regions.

That's definitely a huge plus for Sony. Sure, the Ps3 took a dip, but the brand is as strong as ever with the Ps4, globally.

They took a hit with the PS3 early on but recovered far better than anyone imagined. They also transitioned beautifully to PS4 (strong momentum in sales and exclusive software on PS3 and perfect PS4 campaign and launch). People love a redemption story.

MercuryLS

Banned
If by souls you mean another PS4 exclusive Souls spinoff then maybe ? ;)

tellmemore.png%3Fw%3D655

Can I make a thread based on that post?

That's like saying the sky is blue - if by win you mean move the most units. Sony has a huge advantage here because they're the only one of the three with a legitimate product in all major markets. The Xbox One is even less suitable for non US markets than the 360 was, comes with no head start or price advantage and now has to deal with the NSA scandal fallout (I'm surprised that this is a thing but apparently it is). Sony is also in the best shape it's been as a company for a while and should be able to market the PS4 much more aggressively than they did the PS3 post 2008. The Xbox One has the ability to outsell the PS4 in only one major market (the US) and even there its likely to be a lot closer than the 60-40 split the 360 enjoyed. The big question is who is able to make the most money from this generation. Selling more units doesn't necessarily translate into bigger profits. My guess is that Microsoft manages to squeeze its primarily NA user base out of more money per user than Sony because of all the add on services they have lined up. Both will likely turn a profit but I'd trust Microsoft more to be better at it.

Ezalc

World would be a nice fact if bs "facts" like this were bannable.

As of September 30, 2013, the Wii has sold 100.30 million consoles worldwide. Both competitors sold 80+ mils each and continue selling quite well worldwide.

Talk about exaggeration. Also, I posted again after a poster called me out on that before. Either way, the fact remains that Nintendo did win last gen from a sales perspective.

http://www.dromble.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/
At a roundtable, Shigeru Miyamoto said the goal was to create a system that looked like the ultimate gaming system, and not another piece of audio/visual hardware that would sit on a shelf and not move. Studies revealed that most Japanese families preferred smaller electronics in their household, and these discoveries lead to a small, compact, and efficient design.

They found that black was much more popular in the United States while countries like Japan preferred indigo and orange.

“One of the colors we’re using for GameCube is Indigo, which was adopted from a color found in the Nintendo GameCube logotype. We are aware, however, that people have a wide range of likes and dislikes when it comes to color,” said Kenichiro. “We did alot of research, and found that many people wanted to see a Jet (black) version of Nintendo GameCube. We are releasing that both in Japan and the U.S. In order to appeal to a wider audience in Japan, we released a Spice (orange) version as well.”

The reason behind the cube's "kiddy" design.

MadLukas

Banned
Your link is dead and no Halo 3 did not sell more than those games together since both GOW3 and UC 2 alone sold more than 5 million each WW.
Once again NPD is not the world UC and GOW sells ( maybe TLOU soon ) sell around as much as Gears and MS does not even own that IP .
It's expected that MS titles would sell more in the USA they have twice the user base which is something that can change this gen which should be good for Sony IP there .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-halo-3-outsold-six-ps3-titles-combined

And no, those are not NPD Numbers, they are worldwide. No PS Exclusive sold more than Halo(even GT and after the disaster of GT6 ...), and yeah UC and GOW sold each 5-6 Million, but Halo still outsells all those mentioned Playstation Exclusives.

MadLukas

Banned
How much did Halo 4 sell. GT5 is probably at 11 million now since it was 10.6 a year ago.

Halo 4 sold 9 Million, but at the time the article was written and those are the numbers of Halo and GT i am reffering to; Halo 3 outsold those mentioned. If you include GT5 it doesnt add up. But then you could also add Gears, Forza, Fable and so on.

Microsoft Franchises sell impressive numbers and my whole point is that a lot of those fans of those series want a sequel and would buy the Xbox One for those Games.

Bundy

Banned
Microsoft Franchises sell impressive numbers and my whole point is that a lot of those fans of those series want a sequel and would buy the Xbox One for those Games.
Microsoft franchises?
There is only Halo with impressive sales numbers in that area.

MadLukas

Banned
Microsoft franchises?
There is only Halo with impressive sales numbers in that area.

As i said Halo, Gears , Forza and Fable outsell every Playstation Exclusive on the PS3 combined. There is a Reason they dont produce many ips, because the few they do, sell gangbusters.

They really do.

Kinect Adventures sold 16 (!!!) Million, Kinect Sports 1+2 over 6. Kinect Games are a huge decisionmaker for families and fun(just dance,xbox fitness,kinect sports rivals) people.

Bundy

Banned
As i said Halo, Gears , Forza and Fable outsell every Playstation Exclusive on the PS3 combined. There is a Reason they dont produce many ips, because the few they do, sell gangbusters.

They really do.

Kinect Adventures sold 16 (!!!) Million, Kinect Sports 1+2 over 6. Kinect Games are a huge decisionmaker for families and fun(just dance,xbox fitness,kinect sports rivals) people.
Gears of War is not a "Microsoft" franchise. The IP belongs to Epic.
Forza 2 sold more than Uncharted 2? Forza 3 sold more than Uncharted 3?
Fable sold more than THE LAST OF US, or God of War 3?
etc.

MadLukas

Banned
Gears of War is not a "Microsoft" franchise. The IP belongs to Epic.
Forza 2 sold more than Uncharted 2? Forza 3 sold more than Uncharted 3?
Fable sold more than THE LAST OF US, or God of War 3?
etc.

At the time Gears sold more than Uncharted and GOW.
Fable 2+3 sold each 4 Million compared to 5 of Uncharted and 4 of God of War.
And Fable sold also more than the Last of Us, although there arent any released numbers of 'TLOU other than the 1 Million in the first month.

Also Kinect Sports and Adventures.

Duxxy3

Halo 4 sold 9 Million, but at the time the article was written and those are the numbers of Halo and GT i am reffering to; Halo 3 outsold those mentioned. If you include GT5 it doesnt add up. But then you could also add Gears, Forza, Fable and so on.

I love the Halo series. Bought 2 OG xbox's just for the first game. Bought my second 360 just to play the Halo and Gears games that I missed when I sold my first 360.

I don't know if that's going to happen this time around. The price is much much higher, and Bungie is making a game that may very well fulfill my Halo needs.

MadLukas

Banned
I love the Halo series. Bought 2 OG xbox's just for the first game. Bought my second 360 just to play the Halo and Gears games that I missed when I sold my first 360.

I don't know if that's going to happen this time around. The price is much much higher, and Bungie is making a game that may very well fulfill my Halo needs.

B-b-b-but Titanfall? I kid, Destiny will be awesome as a coop experience and single player game. But Halo is Halo :)

Bundy

Banned
And Fable sold also more than the Last of Us, although there arent any released numbers of 'TLOU other than the 1 Million in the first month.

The Last of Us sold 3,4 in the first 3 weeks. Should be around 5 Mio. now. Fable sold more than TLOU, you say? I don't think so, as you can see.
Again: GEARS is not a Microsoft franchise/IP.
God of War 3 sold 5.2 million copies.
Uncharted 3 has sold ~ 6 million copies. And that number was released in march 2013. Should be higher now. The franchise on a whole has sold over 17 million units.
etc.

As i said Halo, Gears , Forza and Fable outsell every Playstation Exclusive on the PS3 combined.
As I've said: Gears is not a Microsoft IP. So your statement is completely false!

MadLukas

Banned
The Last of Us sold 3,4 in the first 3 weeks. Should be around 5 Mio. now. Fable sold more than TLOU, you say? I don't think so, as you can see.
Again: GEARS is not a Microsoft franchise/IP.
God of War 3 sold 5.2 million copies.
Uncharted 3 has sold ~ 6 million copies. And that number was released in march 2013. Should be higher now. The franchise on a whole has sold over 17 million units.
etc.

As I've said: Gears is not a Microsoft IP. So your statement is completely false!

Ok, lets rephrase for your happiness: All exclusives Games produced by Microsoft for the 360 sold more than all Playstation exclusives combined INCLUDING KINECT SPORTS/ADVENTURES and DANCE CENTRAL.

They sell more, they just do.

And without a link to to your numbers, they are worthless anyway.

Bundy

Banned
Ok, lets rephrase for your happiness: All exclusives Games produced by Microsoft for the 360 sold more than all Playstation exclusives combined INCLUDING KINECT SPORTS/ADVENTURES and DANCE CENTRAL.

Jesus Christ..... it took me maybe 30 seconds to google these numbers.
You're one of a kind, MadLukas

Hyunashi

I would say Sony is in a good position with their Euro dominance, but you wont win anything unless you get the games out so essentially it is still too soon.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sony has Japanese studios though. They just aren't as prominent as their western ones, which is the issue.

Sony's first party studios form just a small part of the library, east or west. The only company that can possibly carry an entire systems with its own games is Nintendo. Sony's first party games add variety and helps to distinguish the system from others. They don't carry the system.

1) Stop acting like a child. "I'm right because I say so!" isn't an argument, it's a fucking tantrum.

2) The link you posted isn't going to fly. Whoever compiled those sales give no sources outside of "Publisher Release" (which is bullshit because a lot of those numbers have never been released) and I'm pretty sure they're from VGChartzzzz.

3) Stop talking shit. Kinect Adventures sold a ton, yes, but that was only because it was a Kinect pack-in. It's like saying The Playroom has sold over 4.2 million. And the Eurogamer article you posted specifically referenced NPD numbers, so no, they're not fucking worldwide sales.

Gears 1/2/3 = 19+million (official MS PR)
Fable 2 = 3.5+mil (Lionhead presentation slides)
Fable 3 = unknown, presumably around the same as F2, slightly more.
Halo 3/4 = 20+ million ( a lot of sources for these)

GT5P + GT5 = 16+ million ( Polyphony website )
Uncharted 1/2/3 = 17+million ( official Sony PR)
GoW3/A/C: 11+million ( official Sony PR for 3+C, anecdotal trophy data for A)
TLoU: 4+ million ( Scott Rohde interview from Fox )

Bundy

Banned
I binged them :) And my research for God of War 3 was 4.6 million. So WHO IS YOUR GOD NOW?
=
I Googled GoW3 and got the 5.2m number too. But then again I have never used Bing in my life.
You're trying way too hard, MadLukas.
1) Stop acting like a child. "I'm right because I say so!" isn't an argument, it's a fucking tantrum.

2) The link you posted isn't going to fly. Whoever compiled those sales give no sources outside of "Publisher Release" (which is bullshit because a lot of those numbers have never been released) and I'm pretty sure they're from VGChartzzzz.

3) Stop talking shit. Kinect Adventures sold a ton, yes, but that was only because it was a Kinect pack-in. It's like saying The Playroom has sold over 4.2 million. And the Eurogamer article you posted specifically referenced NPD numbers, so no, they're not fucking worldwide sales.
!

I think Sony just have a nice diversity to their first party studios and third party partners, historically the Playstation brand has always had a good mix of western and eastern content.

Kikujiro

Can't we do something about people posting factually wrong numbers? I'm not asking for a ban or what, but when you're proven to be wrong and you still insist, it becomes really stupid.

Averon

Either MadLukas is a troll account/going on a suicide run or the person behind the name is 13 years old or younger.

MadLukas

Banned

1) I gave valid arguments, links, numbers and opinions. Its not i , who is acting like child. Watch your tone.

2) Why are the numbers provided by Microsoft shit, but if Sony releases them they are totally valid? They are also ligitimized by the annual reports, the numbers are true.

3) Kinect Adventures sold because it was a pack-in and BECAUSE PEOPLE WANTED TO PLAY IT (word of mouth etc.). Also Kinect Sports and Dance Central werent a pack-in and they sold 6 Million and the Dance Central Franchise is also up to 7 Million.

Kinect Sales. And it is totally possible that it sells and attracts people for the Xbox One too.

1) I gave valid arguments, links, numbers and opinions. Its not i , who is acting like child. Watch your tone.

2) Why are the numbers provided by Microsoft shit, but if Sony releases them they are totally valid? They are also ligitimized by the annual reports, the numbers are true.

3) Kinect Adventures sold because it was a pack-in and BECAUSE PEOPLE WANTED TO PLAY IT (word of mouth etc.). Also Kinect Sports and Dance Central werent a pack-in and they sold 6 Million and the Dance Central Franchise is also up to 7 Million.

Kinect Sales. And it is totally possible that it sells and attracts people for the Xbox One too.

SMH

1) No you didn't. You repeated "they just do" a lot, ignored valid points, posted bullshit numbers and then threw a tantrum when people called you out. And no, I won't watch my tone, not when you're posting bullshit.

2) Those numbers weren't from Microsoft! They were 100% bullshit! Microsoft doesn't release sales figures for their specific games in annual reports and nor does Sony! Can I make this any clearer!?

3) Really? I find it extremely hard to believe that people bought Kinect's specifically to play Kinect Adventures. Why wasn't the Disneyland sequel such an enormous success then?

4) Your spinning in regards to Dance Central and Kinect Sports sales is embarrassing. Kinect Sports 1 and 2 sold 6 million combined (so 3 million each or whatever). Dance Central sold 2.5 million and by all accounts Dance Central 2 and 3 each sold significantly less than that. Just Dance 3 was the one that sold 7 million but that was across Wii, PS3 and 360 (selling by far the best on the Wii).

Halo 3/4 = 20+ million ( a lot of sources for these)

Where'd you get the Halo figures? There's a lot of bullshit vgchartzzz figures floating around but I couldn't find anything from Microsoft.

There you have it, LiquidSolid!
ccx.gif

*smmfh*

I honestly should've expected it going in but I can't help but say something when someone's spreading bullshit.

Tiu Neo

Except you conveniently forgot to mention the fact that Sony said they are gonna make assebly lines for PS4 in Brazil to bring down local prices just like MS did.

Or maybe you conveniently forgot to mention the fact that while they're promissing that, Microsoft and Nintendo both sell their consoles for almost half the price of the Playstation 4, and only Microsoft manufactures their console here.

Brazil (and the rest of South America, for that matter) is not one of Sony's main focuses, at least for now. If it where, they could make the same Microsoft did. They decided to focus on other regions that where more important to them, and that's ok... if you don't live here :p They'll shift their focus to here when they see potential / can meet the worldwide demands.

It's not that hard to understand :p

MadLukas

Banned
Maybe i am not right in all arguments, but i didnt really get the feeling that you guys really wanted to discuss, instead of focus on minor sub arguments and twisting the facts or simply not accepting them at all.

Can we at least agree that Microsoft has some huge ips , which sell a lot?

Sky Chief

Nah, it's not an issue of regional focus, it's just that Nintendo and Microsoft have released products that don't resonate with any nationalities as much as the PS4 does. I would be surprised if the PS4 doesn't outsell the Wii U in Japan and the Xbox One in North America.

Top Bottom