• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo too focused on Japan, MS too focused on N.America, Sony win by default?

Banned
Yup. Sony seems to understand all regions need to be treated differently. That's why the PS4 didn't launch in japan first, they know its a dying market that is slow to adopt to new consoles and many of the major JRPG's are still launching in 2014 on the PS3.

Steel

Banned
I'm not even sure that nintendo has made any progress in japan worth speaking of(With the Wii U anyway). Of course you could be right that the home console market is pretty much dead in japan, I suppose we'll find out a couple months after the PS4 launches in japan.

If this was really the case, wouldn't that just mean Nintendo would win Japan and Microsoft would win North America? I don't see how it's an automatic win for Sony.

(except, it's more complicated than that, because the Wii U sucks—I personally own one and love it but… y'know, it's the Wii U—and the Xbox is too expensive)

Jea Song

Did the right thing
If this was really the case, wouldn't that just mean Nintendo would win Japan and Microsoft would win North America? I don't see how it's an automatic win for Sony.

(except, it's more complicated than that, because the Wii U sucks—I personally own one and love it but… y'know, it's the Wii U—and the Xbox is too expensive)

Does anyone think Microsoft wins North America this time?

They way Sony is leading I dare say the ps4 takes the US over Xbox one.

I could be wrong though because over here people love their NFL and Cable. The Xbox one truly is an all in one rather than a gaming console.

And the exact opposite applies to the ps4.

This is a 5+ year race. Assuming they 'win' the numbers game now is nonsense.

What kind of games they make and how they market then is everything. Historically, Sony exclusives have sold less than Microsoft's big hitters and have clearly pushed more hardware in other parts of the world so I don't think its as cut and dry as, no Japan = no chance.

Sony exclusives have not sold less than MS once again the US is not the world .

Ezalc

Too early to tell but you know? Judging from last gen? I'd honestly buy it lol.

Judging from last gen? The one where Nintendo "won" by outselling both competitors combined?

The Wii U isn't doing well at all, so how Nintendo tries to turn it around is up to them. Iwata admitted some of his mistakes but words go nowhere if he doesn't fix the company's backwards attitude in a lot of areas.

The Vita is still basically dead almost everywhere. Only place where it has anything of a chance is Japan and even then that's being optimistic right now as it is nowhere near the success there that the PSP was.

Microsoft ignored Japan las gen because all of their attempts had no real effect, it's no surprise that they'll probably focus more on the US and then Europe. Still their actions regarding a lot of the things people disliked about the XJuan when it was announced I guess show that they are at least trying.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While I'm not a big MS fan or anything I have to give them this.

It's more the world doesn't give a shit about MS so they focus on the parts that do vs the other way around. They've tried in other markets, but they just weren't receptive.

Judging from last gen? The one where Nintendo "won" by outselling both competitors combined?

The Wii U isn't doing well at all, so how Nintendo tries to turn it around is up to them. Iwata admitted some of his mistakes but words go nowhere if he doesn't fix the company's backwards attitude in a lot of areas.

The Vita is still basically dead almost everywhere. Only place where it has anything of a chance is Japan and even then that's being optimistic right now as it is nowhere near the success there that the PSP was.

Microsoft ignored Japan las gen because all of their attempts had no real effect, it's no surprise that they'll probably focus more on the US and then Europe. Still their actions regarding a lot of the things people disliked about the XJuan when it was announced I guess show that they are at least trying.

Nintendo did not out sell MS and Sony combine Wii was at 100 million last time i check.
PS3 and 360 at 80 million each last time we get numbers and still selling , that is crazy talk .

Ezalc

Nintendo did not out sell MS and Sony combine Wii was at 100 million last time i check.
PS3 and 360 at 80 million each last time we get numbers and still selling , that is crazy talk .

Alright, exaggerated on the combined, the point remains that they still outsold both of them by a considerable amount. If you're looking from a purely sales point of view Nintendo won last gen. Easily if you add in the DS sales.

It depends also on who can best leverage the growing developing world markets.

Yes this is what I meant in my earlier post. I think Sony has more potential to drop price in the long run with the PS4 compared to the XB1. If they can get to a sub-$200 price within the next 4 years or so I could see Sony really making a lot of sales in those markets.

Wii U is likely going to be irrelevant in those markets as it lacks any significant 3rd party support

Mokubba

Sony haven't won anything and they won't think they won either. It's going to be another generation of hard work and great games.

This.

What I will say though is that the PS4 is going to get worldwide third party support. MS won't get a lot of the Japanese games like Tales, Ni No Kuni or Persona 5 and I doubt they can buy some like they did with the 360. They will still get the heavy hitters though and as for Nintendo, they'll get next to nothing on the Wii-U.

It's only the PS4 that I can see getting games from everyone which puts them in a good position.

BakaJaNai

Banned
Or Brazil, for that matter. Only one who kinda gives a fuck about here is Microsoft. Nintendo is kinda trying now, at least, and Sony... I'm sure they're doing a campaign for us to buy PS3s instead of PS4s.
Except you conveniently forgot to mention the fact that Sony said they are gonna make assebly lines for PS4 in Brazil to bring down local prices just like MS did.

BakaJaNai

Banned
World would be a nice fact if bs "facts" like this were bannable.

As of September 30, 2013, the Wii has sold 100.30 million consoles worldwide. Both competitors sold 80+ mils each and continue selling quite well worldwide.

This is a 5+ year race. Assuming they 'win' the numbers game now is nonsense.

What kind of games they make and how they market then is everything. Historically, Sony exclusives have sold less than Microsoft's big hitters and have clearly pushed more hardware in other parts of the world so I don't think its as cut and dry as, no Japan = no chance.

In what world do you live in? Because this part is pretty laughable. As is the idea that Microsoft will somehow miraculously level the playing field once they launch in those other parts of the world.

Anyway, I'm not sure I entirely agree with the OP. Well, the Microsoft part is definitely right, but the Nintendo part? Eh, I think Iwata's been more focused on his own little imaginary world than Japan and you can see it in the Wii U's Japanese sales (or even the huge decline in 3DS sales compared to the DS).

IISANDERII

MS too focused on America, not North America. Canada got none of the cool apps like ESPN, Red Box and stuff like that and our subscription fee was still the same.

Nerokis

Life tends to be a little more complicated than the thread title implies, and Sony has a long list of their own struggles. But I'd say this particular narrative is just wrong, either way. It's a misreading of the situation. Nintendo is doing better in Japan largely because of their inherent strength there, not because they're somehow betting on Japan carrying the day. The Wii U doesn't cater to Japanese tastes almost at all, as far as I can tell, and while handhelds are indeed thriving in Japan more than the West, it's not like the idea of releasing a handheld device is somehow a new one to Nintendo. Some of their core franchises, like Zelda, also tend to be Western oriented.

Really, Nintendo may have overestimated the market for their devices overseas moreso than at home, but I'd say they misread the market everywhere.

The situation with MS is somewhat different, but their main issue probably isn't one of...regional tunnel vision? The Playstation brand is still very strong, the PS4 is much more competitively priced than the X1, and Sony ran circles around MS in the marketing arena. I would argue MS blew Sony out of the water during the last generation, but that was largely because Sony fumbled the ball. A less extreme example of the reverse happened this time.

Why should MS even try in Japan when:
1. The system doesn't sell as much there no matter how hard they try.
2. Their NA presence is already big enough that most titles have to come to Xbox to make any kind of splash anyway.

MadLukas

Banned
You said that Sony became to arrogant with the PS3, but didnt they still manage to beat Microsoft by a small margin?

So why is impossible to adapt to the market just as good as Sony did? You have seen the 180.

EGM1966

Definitely some truth to your view of MS and Nintendo. The XB1 quickly pales in overall offering and services the further you move away from US and English as core language and of course in many countries the HDMI IN is probably pure wasted cost.

While PS4 does seem to have managed the broadest, least secular to one country appeal so far it's probably too early to tell exactly how that's going to pan out but certainly they've done a better job of delivering a global market focused console so far.

MadLukas

Banned
A world where we have sales figures.

Halo 3 sold more than the Resistance 1+2, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1+2 and God of War 3 combined.[/URL] Halo4 was somewhat round 12 Million Copies and the Gears of War Trilogy combined sold probably more than those previous Sony Exclusives and their Sequels.

Its true, Microsoft produces less games, but sells more of them. Worldwide.

Platy

Nintendo too focused on Japan, MS too focused on N.America, Sony sells the PS4 in ridiculous prices in S.America

=(

Iacobellis

You said that Sony became to arrogant with the PS3, but didnt they still manage to beat Microsoft by a small margin?

So why is impossible to adapt to the market just as good as Sony did? You have seen the 180.

They fell flat on their faces twice trying to make a dent in Japan. Why go for a third?

MadLukas

Banned
They fell flat on their faces twice trying to make a dent in Japan. Why go for a third?

No, i meant worldwide. We all know the quotes out of the Final Fantasy XIII MS Presentation, where everybody declared Sony for dead. And now Microsoft dies because of 100$ more and "arrogant" attitude, which nobody besides the inner gaming fans circle noticed to begin with?

And lets Keep Thinking further, what defines winning? Selling more Units?Making more Money on those sold Units? Selling more games, Image, value etc.etc. What about the Company itself, are they healthy?

There are so many questions,predictions and stuff Happening, that nobody can say anything for certain. And we are declaring a winner already?

Halo 3 sold more than the Resistance 1+2, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1+2 and God of War 3 combined. Halo4 was somewhat round 12 Million Copies and the Gears of War Trilogy combined sold probably more than those previous Sony Exclusives and their Sequels.

Your link is dead and no Halo 3 did not sell more than those games together since both GOW3 and UC 2 alone sold more than 5 million each WW.
Once again NPD is not the world UC and GOW sells ( maybe TLOU soon ) sell around as much as Gears and MS does not even own that IP .
It's expected that MS titles would sell more in the USA they have twice the user base which is something that can change this gen which should be good for Sony IP there .

Biker19

Banned
I still think Sony should pay more attention to Japan. Just because that would mean that more Japanese games get released on their platforms.

I think that they're starting to with PS4, in which they're resurrecting Japan Studio, etc. IMO, why not focus on catering to both the East & the West?

Back in the PS1 & PS2 days, it was mostly Japanese for Sony with some western-made games on the side, then with PS3, Sony saw that the market was changing, & started adapting to the west with games like the Uncharted series, the Resistance series, the Killzone series, the inFamous series, M.A.G., Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, etc.

So I would have to agree with OP about it. And Nintendo needs to do the same.

No, i meant worldwide. We all know the quotes out of the Final Fantasy XIII MS Presentation, where everybody declared Sony for dead. And now Microsoft dies because of 100$ more and "arrogant" attitude, which nobody besides the inner gaming fans circle noticed to begin with?

And lets Keep Thinking further, what defines winning? Selling more Units?Making more Money on those sold Units? Selling more games, Image, value etc.etc. What about the Company itself, are they healthy?

There are so many questions,predictions and stuff Happening, that nobody can say anything for certain. And we are declaring a winner already?

I hope you realize that macroaxis isn't exactly the most reliable source of how healthy a company is.

FiggyCal

Banned
Halo 3 sold more than the Resistance 1+2, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1+2 and God of War 3 combined. Halo4 was somewhat round 12 Million Copies and the Gears of War Trilogy combined sold probably more than those previous Sony Exclusives and their Sequels.

You're link is broken. But I googled the article and the information within is false. It was reportd that Uncharted 2 reached over 5 million sales and in the article - the writer said 4.5 for both Uncharted 1 and 2. Also God of War sold 5.2 million in 4 months (and continued selling well for the rest of the year, might I add) and the article has it at 1.1 million (LMAO). I've seen estimates for Resistance 1 at 4.2 mil sold. Not to mention the writer doesn't link his sources.

edit: Double post. Damn... I'm so sorry :(

1) That article is based on NPD numbers only, not worldwide (where Halo does far less favourably and Sony does far better).
2) Where the fuck did you get 12 million?
3) Microsoft doesn't own or control Gears.
4) http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html
5) You named one series, go through the others next.

If they had patience, actually cared about the Japanese market and had a far better understanding of it, they could make a far more successful go at it. But of course that's never going to happen and this time, they won't even bother to show 2 years of mediocre support.

Azih

Well when I said Nintendo and MS were focused on a particular territory I didn't mean they were focusing on them in any effective way :). And I stand corrected on MS being USA focused, not even North America focused.

npa189

Sony is going to win is NA and Europe this round, Japan is given to them by default. I don't understand this focus on Japan, its the smallest market by far, and the console scene has all but given up the ghost right? $100 cheaper, consistent messaging, and SCEI studios will win this round. Microsoft might as well have eaten a grenade in 2013, that was a trainwreck the likes we've never seen.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can launch a console successfully without launch games. If you screw the launch line-up up in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
I finally understand.

keuja

For those who like Japanese games (the Gundams, Yakuzas, Nippon Icchi games, and hundreds of others), PS4 is unavoidable.
And given that most US/western games will also be available on it, the PS4 will likely end up with a higher variety of games than the X1 (like current gen).
So yes, there is definitely an advantage for Sony.

Top Bottom