• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TS?!? (guess who was bored last night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimz

good design, i will buy it, i especially like the screen design, the full backward capility for DS, and there is not "boarder" btw 2 screens :)

Durante

It has TATE, it wins by default.

Also, with MBX, it will get free 24/7 online marketing by Lazy8s. Brilliant!
(Personally I'd be exceedingly pleased with those specs for a portable Nintendo 08 product. I mean, MBX is a real GPU :lol Though you could give it 32 or even 64 MB of RAM these days)

Neo Child

Banned
One problem. A cool feature for me is that I could play the DS games while placing the console on a desk, instead of handling it. How would it work this way? Also, I'm not sure the DS backward compatibility mode would look or feel good really.

Edit: Nintendots. Cool.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that design would have some serious potential for arcade shooter ports. so in keeping with nintendo's demonstrated antipathy to videogames, i expect the actual ts to have three separate oddly shaped touchscreens and no traditional controls whatsoever.

lyre

Add some more space between the screens to emulate the space between the screens on the current DSL and give the new screen a bit more resolution.

Otherwise, nice idea. Just imagine, WSColour bc!

First can I say this is an excellent design Shogmaster, very creative.

I've been inspired to do some Photoshop as well, and I think I have a better solution for the screen (although more complex).

No specs as this is merely a suggested modification of the physical design.

Let me know what you think Shogmaster/guys.

Everything is self explantory: The DS+

DS.jpg

* just to clarify I am not claiming this design to be my own

thefro

I'd make the buttons (D-Pad, a/b/x/y/l/r) part of the protective cover for the system (so essentially it's just a plastic cover that snaps on over the touch screen, underneath it, and clipped on the side (in the formation as seen in the photoshop).

There's no real need to keep the "book" design if you're going to change the form to one big screen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In the name of Miyamoto, I smite thee!

bengraven

Deku said:
I think Sega might make a run for it again and license DC tech to Nintendo for the followup with 100% compatability to all of Sega's DC games. All they need to do is port it to the new media format. :D DCportable 2009.

neogaf1.gif

2009. Believe.

OK, so I took some of your comments and updated the specs a bit.

Nintendo_TS.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DScompat.jpg

And again, thanks for all the nice comments.

Someone asked about how this thing would compare power-wise to the DC and PSP. It would be about par with DC, but less powerful than PSP by a noticeable margin.

As for the creation of the main image, even though I used my Tablet PC, I mainly used the mouse since most of the drawing was done using pen and shapes tool to lay down the path, then I used stroke to path to make nice clean lines and shadings. I also found a huge 1600x1200 pic of the official DS Lite Photoshop rendering so I borrowed the D-pad and the buttons from there.

Shogmaster said:
OK, so I took some of your comments and updated the specs a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/Nintendo_TS.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/Nintendo_TS_DScompat.jpg

And again, thanks for all the nice comments.

Someone asked about how this thing would compare power-wise to the DC and PSP. It would be about par with DC, but less powerful than PSP by a noticeable margin.

As for the creation of the main image, even though I used my Tablet PC, I mainly used the mouse since most of the drawing was done using pen and shapes tool to lay down the path, then I used stroke to path to make nice clean lines and shadings. I also found a huge 1600x1200 pic of the official DS Lite Photoshop rendering so I borrowed the D-pad and the buttons from there.
I still think there needs to be a way to play it horizontally without covering up the buttons, thats my only gripe now.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think that looks awesome.

I also think that Nintendo would never make something like that :(

nincompoop said:
I still think there needs to be a way to play it horizontally without covering up the buttons, thats my only gripe now.

I don't know exactly why but I really love the notion that Nintendo would force the multi-touch digitizer screen with only the L + R shoulder button as support for the main control scheme in the horizontal "TS" mode. It just seems so much like what Nintendo would do, you know? :lol

Wolves Evolve said:
If the thing could play MP3s when closed, you would have a winner.

That's why I insist that it has a SD card slot. It would have then, the capacity and the power to act as a very good Personal Media Player, with appropriate touch screen controls ala iPhone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Silly question but...why would you follow up a 2 screen handheld with...a one screen handheld?

thetrin said:
Silly question but...why would you follow up a 2 screen handheld with...a one screen handheld?
Because going to 3 or 4 screens would be getting a bit silly, so I went the other way....
It's because you can do the same job even better with one screen.

sp0rsk said:
I think that looks awesome.

I also think that Nintendo would never make something like that :(

are you thinking about the same nintendo that has been slowly making its games where you dont need buttons? this is exactly what I expect them to do, this this design actually is a bit more actually.

Neo_ZX

Looks awesome! Really slick.

Problem though - how do you deal with games that use both screens as one? Some treat the border as unviewable space which is a problem. Lazier devs just program it as the screen borders touch.

Neo_ZX said:
Looks awesome! Really slick.

Problem though - how do you deal with games that use both screens as one? Some treat the border as 'space' which is a problem. Lazier devs just program it as the screen borders touch.
As you can see in the revision above (maybe you haven't because I didn't update the OP), the border between the screens is virtual. They can make it far apart or right next to each other.

loosus

Banned
thetrin said:
My question is, why did they come up with a two-screen handheld to begin with? It's unnecessary.

Bildi

Shogmaster said:
I almost thought about naming the files "Tranny Surprise" 1 and 2. :lol
:lol

TS & handhelds seem to go hand in hand. I did this when there was that PSP-phone stuff going around.

psp_phone_1.jpg

Durante

Great, but you can't put PC133 SDRAM in there Shog, that doesn't make sense. Also, there would have to be a new word for that bus, "bottleneck" wouldn't sufficiently express its inadequacy :D

Look:
Friday, July 20, 2007 Memory Chip Spot Market Price
256 Mbit DDR 400 Mhz $1.25 $1.50 Stable
(that's one 32MB chip)

Then again, perhaps you're just getting too good at thinking like Nintendo...

Neo_ZX

Shogmaster said:
As you can see in the revision above (maybe you haven't because I didn't update the OP), the border between the screens is virtual. They can make it far apart or right next to each other.

Damn I scanned through all the posts and assumed that one was a quote of the previous picture (never understood why it's so common on this board).

But anyways taking that into account I can't see too much wrong. I would buy, but the tech and cost would probably push it out of the target demographic.
Plus with that kind of screen you almost have to add movie playback and other PSP like features.

lyre

Shogmaster said:
It's because you can do the same job even better with one screen.
I hafta disagree with that, especially for games that use the touch screen extensively. For this I mean by having the one big screen emulating 2 screen you eliminate the border that surrounds the touch screen (since the touch screen on the DS sinks into the system whereas the top screen is flush). That effectively makes playing DS games that rely on the touch screen extensively more bothersome than it should be, though I'm sure some will have no problems though for me, one who spends seconds between transitioning scenes, find myself drawing lines against the screen border.

loosus said:
My question is, why did they come up with a two-screen handheld to begin with? It's unnecessary.
You haven't played many good DS games haven't you? If you have, the quality games make great use of both screens.

Durante said:
Great, but you can't put PC133 SDRAM in there Shog, that doesn't make sense. Also, there would have to be a new word for that bus, "bottleneck" wouldn't sufficiently express its inadequacy :D

Look:
Friday, July 20, 2007 Memory Chip Spot Market Price
256 Mbit DDR 400 Mhz $1.25 $1.50 Stable
(that's one 32MB chip)

Then again, perhaps you're just getting too good at thinking like Nintendo...

There that, but keep in mind that MBX is really only about the same level of power as CLX2 in the DC. DC had PC100s in there. You're getting a 33% increase in memory bandwidth with my TS, yet you only have to paint less than 50% the amount of pixels vs what DC had too! PC133 should be more than fine.

Also, the system bus for the TS would be 66MHz (mainly dictated by the MBX and ARM9 for BC), PC133's 133MHz speed fits in with that nicely.

I really like the flexibility of this design and it definitely has the visual appeal. I think Opus Angelorum's revision is an improvement, though, as it gives an additional play mode (wide screen /w traditional controls).

Durante

Shogmaster said:
There that, but keep in mind that MBX is really only about the same level of power as CLX2 in the DC. DC had PC100s in there. You're getting a 33% increase in memory bandwidth with my TS, yet you only have to paint less than 50% the amount of pixels vs what DC had too! PC133 should be more than fine.
You're missing the fact that DC had separate memory pools for CPU and GPU, in effect doubling the bandwidth. Seriously, the one chip I listed $1.25 (right now, not in 08!), and you could run it at, say, 133 Mhz (DDR).

Anyway, if they built that thing I'd buy it day 1. The true innovation of DS are not the 2 screens but the touchscreen -- I can't think of anything that can't be done at least as well by one screen that is twice as big (or more).

EternalGamer said:
I really like the flexibility of this design and it definitely has the visual appeal. I think Opus Angelorum's revision is an improvement, though, as it gives an additional play mode (wide screen /w traditional controls).
I agree in theory, but I doubt the practicality of building such a complex and likely fragile hinge into a mainstream, "casual appeal" system.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Shoggy, you've out-pooed Nintendo.

I look forward to your Microsoft Trapeziopodstation schematic. :p

I did that way WAY back already! ;)

XBoy2.jpg

Wow, that was like 2 years ago I think. OH LOOKY! It's using MBX too! :lol

Durante said:
You're missing the fact that DC had separate memory pools for CPU and GPU, in effect doubling the bandwidth. Seriously, the one chip I listed $1.25 (right now, not in 08!), and you could run it at, say, 133 Mhz (DDR).

Yeah, that did slip my mind. And if I'm using the ARM9 for audio and other stuff so that needs access to the RAM as well, maybe I need double the pins or just use DDR like you are saying.

Let's see...

I'd really like it a lot more if the touch screen were protected somehow. Maybe include a protective cover that could slide over it?

A motion sensor could be cool, too.

Maybe have multiple DS slots?

kkg1701

yudaan said:
I hafta disagree with that, especially for games that use the touch screen extensively. For this I mean by having the one big screen emulating 2 screen you eliminate the border that surrounds the touch screen (since the touch screen on the DS sinks into the system whereas the top screen is flush). That effectively makes playing DS games that rely on the touch screen extensively more bothersome than it should be, though I'm sure some will have no problems though for me, one who spends seconds between transitioning scenes, find myself drawing lines against the screen border.

You haven't played many good DS games haven't you? If you have, the quality games make great use of both screens.

Sorry, but which DS game uses the border around the touchscreen?

I think you misunderstood Loosus. What he meant is that practically any of the games on the DS could have worked on a "wide" touchscreen.

As for the original poster's design, I kinda like it. Looks familiar though, think I've seen something like it with a mobilephone.

KK

There's no reason for it to be played horizontally.

But I don't understand why you put start/select/speakers on the screen panel. Put them with the buttons.

AdmiralViscen said:
There's no reason for it to be played horizontally.

But I don't understand why you put start/select/speakers on the screen panel. Put them with the buttons.
You can't deny someone the ability to pause while playing in the horizontal screen mode! It'd suck to twist the screen just to push start and select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom