• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo UK: N64 games on Switch online will be 60hz English versions (select games will have a 50hz option)

spons

Gold Member
50Hz would be pointless. None of these games have been translated in my language anyway. Good thing they listened to the complaints because I am absolutely sure they wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Scanlines, if properly implemented, ensure you see the graphics as they were meant to be seen. He designers optimised the sprites to be seen as intended when displayed on CRT’s with scanlines… so not the same thing :).

I was just thinking about this. I am extremely impressed with how Capcom Arcade Stadium handles the filters. Playing Strider on that is perfection.

spons

Gold Member
This is the case for the entirety of Europe, not just the UK. Just saw it on several local Nintendo Twitters as well.

Deerock71

Scanlines, if properly implemented, ensure you see the graphics as they were meant to be seen. He designers optimised the sprites to be seen as intended when displayed on CRT’s with scanlines… so not the same thing :).
streaming bill nye GIF

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was just thinking about this. I am extremely impressed with how Capcom Arcade Stadium handles the filters. Playing Strider on that is perfection.
I am thinking about trying more games on it then, I admit I have not given it enough time, but this is a big plus.

Neff

They obviously received some shit for this, and rightly so.

Remember that they pulled the same limp dick move on the Wii U until the mighty power of Miiverse restored order.

Still, gotta give them credit. They didn't have to do anything, but they did.

93xfan

Banned
Indeed. There was this one image used as comparison of what the designers intended you to see, versus how it looks on modern displays.

gc0vsn8zqky11.jpg

What a difference! Personally I love the scab line filter in Castlevania and Contra collections. They have that blur/pixel bleed that represents what I saw on a mid-lower end to in the late 80s/early 90s

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
But the res. Didnt PAL 50hz have more P's.. lol.
Technically yes (but lines, not pixels, CRTs don't have pixels), 576 lines vs 480 lines (or 288 vs 240 in progressive)...but in reality that usually just ended in the game rendering at the original 240/480i, then being displayed inside the 288/576i window with no scaling, causing the image to be vertically squished.

Trilobit

Can't still believe that they actually charge extra for the N64 games. Instead of creating a bigger incentive to buy Nintendo Online they just up the price. It's a scummy behaviour in my eyes honestly.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why I never thought of this, but yeesh games like ocarina Must have been bad. What was it, like, 17fps with spikes up and down constantly? Plus the regular drops.

Neff

"All" of Europe.

From the way it's worded, you'll be able to choose to play the NTSC version in Europe, regardless of where you live. If you specifically want a non-English version though, you're SOL, because your version literally doesn't exist in NTSC.

People are in for a suprise if Nintendo doesnt up the framerate, mario kart 64 feels like its in slow motion, not the way you and I remember it, legit.

Killer8

They really need to get rid of the border when running emulated games, I worry how that will affect the OLED screen.

Drell

The thing is that PAL is badly viewed because 90% of the games ported in europe back then were just slowed down letterboxed versions of the US/JAP version. But PAL actually traded 10 fps for a better resolution (576 lines versus the "standard" 480 of NTSC). When UK or EU developers like Rare took advantage of the PAL format, we had Fullscreen games with a slightly higher res and game speed adapted to have the same pace as the NTSC version. PAL was only bad because non-EU devs didn't took the time to properly adapt their games.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But the res. Didnt PAL 50hz have more P's.. lol.
Yeh but as an Australian that had 50hz games I’d rather the 60hz than the higher resolution because most games just literally ran games slower instead of simply changing the refresh rate. Games like WWF smack down on PS1 for example were like night and day. I imported the US version and it ran 20% faster than the AU version.

Is 50hz options like enabling scanlines mode for nostalgia gamers?
What I read in the press release was not that there will be a 50Hz option in some games, that seems to have confused some people.
The reason that services have often used PAL games in modern systems is because the PAL versions of could have been translated into five or six different languages so if somebody would rather play in their home language rather than in English then they will still be able to play that version rather than playing the American or Japanese versions of the games which will both be NTSC rather than PAL.
I know that Lylat Wars had options for English, French, German and perhaps most interestingly Lylat in PAL territories.

Top Bottom