• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Unveils Fatal Frame 2 Remake (Wii)

The game currently has no title, actually. The site just lists it as: New Zero Project, with the release date set for 2011 in Japan. For now, there's no word on whether this title will leave Japan or not.

Developer: Koei/Tecmo Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: 2011 (Japan) / Unknown (Everywhere else)

Trailer clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDe5vIR4Vgt#t=1m33s

Screens: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/confe...This=true&TB_iframe=true&height=520&width=692

img_9-1.jpg

img_9-2.jpg

img_9-3.jpg

img_9-4.jpg

img_9-5.jpg

img_9-6.jpg

img_9-7.jpg

This was rumored a few weeks ago: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944720-fatal-frame-mask-of-the-lunar-eclipse/56398164s

I've found a blog post from January 31, 2008 that mentions Nintendo buying the rights to the Fatal Frame franchise but I can't find any actual articles or announcements regarding it and the blog doesn't seem particularly trustworthy.

Beth Cyra

Nintendo-4Life said:
Didn't Nintendo buy the franchise around 2007/2008? I remember something like that.

I don't remember this to be the case at all.

The only thing I had heard was that Nintendo and Tecmo made a deal and it was being developed along with the help from Grasshopper Studios. Granted they could of bought it but I never heard of the IP changing hands.

Edit: Also if Nintendo now owns the IP then why are Tecmo/Koei still developing it?

bon

It looks really nice. Did the PS2/XBOX versions look like this or have the graphics been redone?

Haunted

I fucking despise Nintendo for even making us have to say "I hope it comes over".

Fucking 2010 and we still have to deal with that region-exclusive bullshit.

Turrican3

Wish-list:

1. release it outside of Japan
2. please... please... PLEASE... no motion-controlled camera/torch this time. Please.
extra hint: there's a very good pointing functionality on the wiimote

Mantorok

Ok I've been meaning to get FF2 for the XBox, this has made me wonder if it's worth waiting for the Wii version...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo are such fucking arse holes for not localising Fatal Frame IV. Its the only goddamn Fatal Frame without an official English release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EatChildren said:
Nintendo are such fucking arse holes for not localising Fatal Frame IV. Its the only goddamn Fatal Frame without an official English release.

Import -> Translation patch.

Yeah, the lack of localization sucks. I agree with your complaint. But if you want to play it, you can play it.

LOL @ people blaming Nintendo for not localizing FF4. The game was a buggy, unfinished mess when it was released, and Tecmo refused to polish it up to meet Nintendo's quality control standards outside of Japan. They essentially took a giant dump on the floor and wanted NOA/NOE to clean it up for them. You can blame NOA all you want for not releasing Disaster/Trace Memory R in the US, but this one was pretty clearly Tecmo's fault.

I also like how a game which had a middling reception when it came out in Japan (mostly due to its awful flashlight control implementation) all of a sudden is considered an all-time classic because it wasn't released in the West. Hopefully they have enough sense to control the flashlight with IR for the FF2 remake.

ASIS

TruePrime said:
I don't remember this to be the case at all.

The only thing I had heard was that Nintendo and Tecmo made a deal and it was being developed along with the help from Grasshopper Studios. Granted they could of bought it but I never heard of the IP changing hands.

Edit: Also if Nintendo now owns the IP then why are Tecmo/Koei still developing it?
Apparently I meant Nintendo holds the publishing rights. Don't know how I got that mixed up. What I want to know is, was that deal made exclusively for FF4 or is it for the entire IP?

And yes, I really am that big of a noob.

nincompoop said:
LOL @ people blaming Nintendo for not localizing FF4. The game was a buggy, unfinished mess when it was released, and Tecmo refused to polish it up to meet Nintendo's quality control standards outside of Japan. They essentially took a giant dump on the floor and wanted NOA/NOE to clean it up for them. You can blame NOA all you want for not releasing Disaster/Trace Memory R in the US, but this one was pretty clearly Tecmo's fault.

I also like how a game which had a middling reception when it came out in Japan (mostly due to its awful flashlight control implementation) all of a sudden is considered an all-time classic because it wasn't released in the West. Hopefully they have enough sense to control the flashlight with IR for the FF2 remake.

so there might be hope that they at least release FF2 remake in the west.

also I do think this looks way better than FF4 already(assuming they didn't doctor too much with those screenshots)

Retarded bugs? You mean like this?

I spent 49euros for this mess. The atmosphere was ok but wtf at the gameplay and the constantly repeating soundtrack

MYE

Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, the lack of localization sucks. I agree with your complaint. But if you want to play it, you can play it.

Do i have to install homebrew stuff?

kottila

MYE said:

Download the patch, put it on a SD card and you install it. You have to have the card in the Wii while playing, but there is nothing to it.

NewFresh

MYE said:
The way that I played my import of FF4 was a combination of extracting the iso and applying a patch to it, then running it through a usb loader. I think there was a simpler way of doing it that did not work for me.

edit: Stumpokapow's way seems much simpler

canocha

PS2:
fatalframe2_082503_17_640w.jpg

Wii:
img_9-7.jpg

Looks better.

I've never played the PS2/XBOX game.. but its looks a lot like the movie "A Tale of Two Sisters"

site_28_rand_1923418580_two_sisters_627.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stumpokapow said:

Way ahead of you.

But I'm still pissy that Nintendo didn't localise it. Its flat out cruel.

wsippel

Banned
heringer said:
Nintendo and Tecmo seems to be very close lately. I expect a Ninja Gaiden 3DS soon.
Yeah, it's kinda weird. Two Fatal Frames, Other M, and that mode in Samurai Warriors. And KoeiTecmo announced four 3DS games day one, one each from all their biggest franchises.

wsippel said:
Yeah, it's kinda weird. Two Fatal Frames, Other M, and that mode in Samurai Warriors. And KoeiTecmo announced four 3DS games day one, one each from all their biggest franchises.

Only thing I care about from that team is if there's a Romance of the 3 Kingdoms coming for the 3DS. You know, a Legend of Cao Cao port would also be nice. The first 2 games were ported to the GBA years ago, but no Legend of Cao Cao.

pakkit

Banned
Haunted said:
I fucking despise Nintendo for even making us have to say "I hope it comes over".

Fucking 2010 and we still have to deal with that region-exclusive bullshit.
brofist so hard

Top Bottom