• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

Neiteio

I don't understand a lick of Japanese but still found this to be entertaining. The woman is defeated by ARMS Girl (the model in the mask) but then learns how to play the game and makes a comeback. But can she also beat ARMS Boy? Nintendo finally uploaded it so I thought I'd share:

Part 1
Part 2

ARMS appears to be made by the same team who made Mario Kart 8. Like Splatoon, ARMS is a brand-new character-driven IP from Nintendo's top studios. I think they should advertise it this way — "from the people who brought you Mario Kart" — because this game deserves attention.

It just looks like so much FUN. And according to those here who have played it, it IS fun, with a depth and responsiveness you might not expect. Some are describing it as Virtual-On meets Power Stone meets Punch-Out, with shades of Overwatch in its colorful cast of characters. It's already confirmed there will be more than five characters. "Of course," the producer has said.

And yes, you can use classic controls, although the motion controls are said to work extremely well. Subtle movements allow you to circle-strafe, throw punches, curve punches for last-minute fake-outs, etc. You can dash and jump — some characters can even double-jump or hover. Blocks negate punches; throws negate blocks; punches negate throws. You can mix and match different types of gloves, and charge up special abilities for each glove. Some stages have verticality, destructible cover, or even trampolines to bounce off. One character can even heal by blocking to absorb souls!

The game has single-player, local multiplayer, and online multiplayer. Apparently, the game also makes good use of HD Rumble. There's been talk of how you can feel Ribbon Girl's arms unraveling in the controller. :-O

If you want an English-language breakdown of the game's mechanics, check out the Treehouse stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6pMr1BKec

Anyways, just wanted to share. This is probably the Switch game I'm most excited for at the moment, even eclipsing Zelda. I want to play this so badly.

kulapik

I hope they reveal more characters and a story mode of sorts, or some single player component, which there seems to be since they mentioned it on the presentation but didn't go much into details.

Neiteio

You can use a regular controller correct?
Yep, classic controls are supported. But this looks like a game you should really, really, REALLY give a chance with motion controls. ARMS is a massive leap over past motion-based boxing games. Not to mention the crazy amount of mobility you have in addition to the punching.

It's more like a projectile-based game, in a sense, given the emphasis on ranged attacks and guiding your shots.

It's also online, so I look forward to clobbering the shit out of everyone here.

jonno394

Good to hear confirmation that there will be more than 5 characters. 8 from the off and another 4 added via dlc over 12 months or something would be good.

Nintendo need to market this like overwatch as a hero fighter or something. The characters have fantastic designs, let them and their personalities sell the game.

Oh and a solid single player mode with story for each character world really help this aspect too imo.

Zesh

I hope they reveal more characters and a story mode of sorts, or some single player component, which there seems to be since they mentioned it on the presentation but didn't go much into details.

Yeah, really interested in seeing what the single-player part of this will be like. The game looks fun, but I generally don't play games that are multi-player only.

Keyouta

This will be the best thing about the Switch. Instead of having your team work on 2 Smash Bros, or 2 Mario Karts, they can diversify and work on other projects.

Looks absolutely brilliant. Nintendo really does new IPs right when they put in the effort. I reeeeeally need to know if the single player will be hefty.

AdanVC

Watching bits of it and it looks awesome indeed! It seems it's going to have some deep gameplay afterall! I thought it was going to be as light and simplistic like the Boxing minigame in Wii Sports but nope!

Neiteio

This will be the best thing about the Switch. Instead of having your team work on 2 Smash Bros, or 2 Mario Karts, they can diversify and work on other projects.
Yep, it's great to see that ARMS is made by key members of the Mario Kart team. Similar to how some Animal Crossing people made Splatoon. And then you have Eiji Aonuma (Zelda head) talking about wanting to make a new IP about a thief. My hope is that Switch will allow them to make one big title in a franchise and then something new.

Neiteio

It KILLS ME that this isn't available at launch. It's a spring release. I mean, by all means take your time and make it as good as possible... And that's not much longer to wait, so I can't really complain... But screw it, I want to play this ASAP. ;_;

ghibli99

Like others have said, very happy that you can play this with regular controllers. The motion controls look nice, but my wife is disabled, so she's been unable to play a lot of games throughout the Wii/Wii U generation that require motion control or having to hold the Gamepad and move it around. I know it's a relatively small number of affected players, but I do wish companies would implement alternate control methods (or at least traditional) for games that have motion controls. In most cases, they can easily be done.

AmuroChan

This doesn't appeal to me at all, but I can see this being a surprise hit, especially with the casual audience.

Yeah ive played this a lot and it surprised me. Its far deeper than you might give it credit for after once trying it out. So many strategies when attacking and defending. But content is crucial, hoping for enough characters and weapons.

And i wouldnt wanna play this without the 'wii' setup. It amplifies how good the motion tracking is in the joycons. Extremely precise.

Edit: of course if you cant do motion gaming cause of disability thats another story

Neiteio

This doesn't appeal to me at all, but I can see this being a surprise hit, especially with the casual audience.
It's actually a really hardcore title in terms of nuance and depth of control. Yes, someone can play it casually and have a good time, but a skilled player will absolutely destroy a non-skilled player. Watching competitive ARMS is going to be a sight to behold.

Kureransu

One thing i noticed is that the load times are pretty short. I'm hoping for this to be a trend since going back to carts.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This looks absolutely terrific.

I hope they push this game hard - play up the MK dev, make Ribbon Girl the star, lots of ads in April. Get all the Switch early adopters to love this new IP.

If the devs can balance this like a solid FG and add content like Splatoon, it'l really have legs (lol).

Quite the opposite, IMO. This looks like it has some real depth in there for FG / Virtual On fans.

I thought this game was pretty cool until I realized you need either

A) A friend with their own Switch or
B) another set of 80$ Joycons

If you wanna play local co-op

Neiteio

If ARMS makes it to EVO, I'll be sure to watch it.
It'd be hype as hell. I hope they require motion controls for the competitive scene, though, with window-in-window views of the player. I really liked watching the players in the stream and seeing their different stances, how they exert control, etc.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
We need a Direct focused solely on this game to fully sell it to people. We need to know what the single-player component will look like, what the various game modes are, how many characters total, how many stages, dynamic elements in the stages, how the customization works, what the unlocks are, how online might work, how the game works when you're not using the motion controls and more. Right now what we are seeing is a little too barebones, but I wouldn't mind if this game takes the Splatoon/Overwatch approach and there's a steady stream of content released over the months following launch. That model seems to work incredibly well for online multiplayer games.

I am excited to see another original IP out of Nintendo and I actually think this one has more immediate appeal than even Splatoon did. We'll have to see how the final package shapes up, but I am hopeful that this game pans out to be something great.

I love the visuals of this game. And the character designs.

Hoping for many more characters, stages, and fists for the final game! And definitely hoping for some single player content.

El Odio

Banned
Definitely picking this up day 1. When it first showed up on the steam I was pretty meh on it, probably since it confirmed that one 4chan leak, but rewatching the trailer and then the treehouse stream completely sold me on it. This is one of those games that I'm really hoping it succeeds because it has the potential to be something great.

RibMan

You weren't lying with the title; the game looks awesome! This is the kind of stuff that makes a day 1 purchase worth it. It looks like a crazy evolution of Ready 2 Rumble aka one of the most underrated games of all-time.

Neiteio

I just love how you're dancing all over the place, double-jumping through the air, pressuring your opponent with a long-range punch from the left while curving another punch from the right for a pincer attack. The flow of combat is so exciting.

I also think it's amazing when two punches collide in mid-air and just negate each other, dropping to the ground, lol. Oh, and you can temporarily disable your opponents' arms with certain charge attacks. :-O

asagami_

Banned
I hope in the Japanese version Luffy becomes a guest fighter, and Mr. Fantastic for overseas.

The fact you need to "aim" your punch remind me when Luffy fights with Blueno. I hope something similar to Ika Musume x Splatoon happen again.

Neiteio

I really hope there's some solid single player stuff in there, because the core game looks really, really fun.
Yeah, at this point I'm looking for two things:

1) Assurances of lots of content!

2) And lore!

The lore is so I can connect more easily to the characters. Their designs are excellent, but I'm not sure if they're human amputees (and if so, how/why did they amputate), or if they're robots... or maybe even made in a lab, as suggested by the arena where you see other fighters being grown in test tubes.

The fans in the audience wear TW101-style masks but appear to have normal arms. They also dress in the colors of the fighter for which they're cheering. Adds to the soccer/football vibe, along with the catchy music!

You can't be serious? Why doesn't Nintendo give us 4 controllers right out of the box?

0Fd01O1l.jpg

Top Bottom