• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

LOL I was just talking about this to a friend yesterday! Come on Ninty.. DO IT!!

Id also accept a Legend of Ganon (Ganny) as well <3
Aonuma said multiple times that the BotW team that helped make the new physics engine really wants to do a Sheik spin off game. I could see them do a Sheik spinoff using the BotW engine.

Yeah

March- BotW
April- Mario Kart
May- Arms
Splatoon- late May? June?
I see Arms being a late May title. Splatoon 2 isn't going to launch until some time between June 21st-September 21st as that's Nintendo's definition of Summer. I also expect a little bit of space between Arms and Splatoon 2 for some room to breathe. If I had to guess I could see Splatoon 2 being a late July-Mid August title.

psyfi

Banned
Everything about ARMS looks great from what I've seen and heard. And I've said it over on Twitter already, but gimme this game and a new Punch-Out!! and I'll be in anime boxing heaven.
lmao are you just mentioning your twitter to get followers?

Tan

It KILLS ME that this isn't available at launch. It's a spring release. I mean, by all means take your time and make it as good as possible... And that's not much longer to wait, so I can't really complain... But screw it, I want to play this ASAP. ;_;
SPRING release. Worth it for the pun

Hazu

I just wish they would release this game on march 3rd and add content via updates just like they did for Splatoon. Worked perfectly for me.

iyox

I'd love to see this controller configuration used for Virtual On. Probably never going to happen but seems like it would be comparable to the twin sticks.

psyfi

Banned
I just wish they would release this game on march 3rd and add content via updates just like they did for Splatoon. Worked perfectly for me.
That'd be really cool, actually. I'm sure people would whine about it, but I'd be content with it. I suppose some of the final months of polishing will effect the game as a whole, though. It's not just about packing in more content.

Malus

I'm hoping they don't go too far with the content trickle strategy as they did with Splatoon. It's sales probably weren't hurt too much, but it's review scores definitely were. Just comparing the content at launch vs 2 months after, when the game was "complete" before DLC started, I bet that would have bumped the scores up significantly

True but at the same time I think the updates did more for Splatoon's popularity than metacritic scores would've. They did a great job of getting people to come back to the game and continue talking about it months after release.

Hopefully after the success of Splatoon they'll have invested more into this game's base content and overall scope.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm in if there's more competitive depth (which I expect) and if there's respectable single player content (which I'm wary of). MK8's SP content was barren, and that's a deal breaker for racers for me. A bit less so with fighters.

Echoing the calls that ARMS is to 3D fighters what Splatoon is to third person shooters. A very Nintendo take on the genre.

And whoever mentioned the Splatoon content trickle is right. That killed my enthusiasm for the game. Mostly that I couldn't play on the same team as a friend for far too long.

Mory Dunz

So I assume this game is using the MK8 engine then.

Don't know how Nintendo manages and uses their engines, but the lighting looked similar to MK8's as soon as it was revealed to me.

Hope it can get 1080p if MK8 can (with more going on I assume).

Need a DF on it. At first glance it didn't seem 1080

Speely

Banned
I'm in if there's more competitive depth (which I expect) and if there's respectable single player content (which I'm wary of). MK8's SP content was barren, and that's a deal breaker for racers for me. A bit less so with fighters.

Echoing the calls that ARMS is to 3D fighters what Splatoon is to third person shooters. A very Nintendo take on the genre.

Yeah my prediction is that the sp content will be criticized by virtue of its scarcity. That's just a gut feeling based on what I think they would cut corners on if they decided to cut corners.

Other than that, I think this game will fucking own.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah my prediction is that the sp content will be criticized by virtue of its scarcity. That's just a gut feeling based on what I think they would cut corners on if they decided to cut corners.

Other than that, I think this game will fucking own.

Splatoon is about the minimum for what I would consider acceptable SP content.

And any fighter needs robust training mode options. Now that's the truest SP content.

Aonuma said multiple times that the BotW team that helped make the new physics engine really wants to do a Sheik spin off game. I could see them do a Sheik spinoff using the BotW engine.

I see Arms being a late May title. Splatoon 2 isn't going to launch until some time between June 21st-September 21st as that's Nintendo's definition of Summer. I also expect a little bit of space between Arms and Splatoon 2 for some room to breathe. If I had to guess I could see Splatoon 2 being a late July-Mid August title.

Yeah look how spread out BotW is from MK8. March 3 to April 28.

So probably late May for Arms and late June early July for Splatoon 2.

Speely

Banned
Splatoon is about the minimum for what I would consider acceptable SP content.

And any fighter needs robust training mode options. Now that's the truest SP content.

I absolutely see them including SP matches against CPU enemies. I just feel like many gamers expect a more robust, entirely different game mode and might be disappointed.

I'd love to be wrong on this, though. Would be amazing to see some kind of boss attack mode playable alone or co-op, for example. I am just not expecting it. I am expecting a very refined and great-playing competitive game with bot matches.

Deku89

I kind of want to play it before I buy. Hope they have some sort of testfire like they had with Splatoon before.

Peléo;228508092 said:
Can you share some of them? Have been craving for more information about its fighting complexities.

Thanks for this. How did mobility and responsiveness feel? Are dashes given priority or do some animations interfere?
I'm in if there's more competitive depth (which I expect) and if there's respectable single player content (which I'm wary of).

Here's our matches with pretty much everything put into play. We played it so much that by the end of the event, we played for 30 minutes nonstop as there weren't many people there or looking to play ARMs in the end.

Here's everything we picked up on(I've put timestamps in here for the video to refer back to).

Characters
Ninjara (my friends main) is top bloody tier -
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 and 4:04 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.
****Prepare to get sick of seeing this character because he is exceptionally good.

The Mummy/Fat Kan-ra (my main) -
He has the worst mobility but has a nice double jump. If you block you also gain health back. It's this characters special block property. (See 5:50)

Mechanicca or which we called her, Tronne Bonne -
She basically is Tronne from Marvel. She has an air dash you can hold.

Ribbon girl -
Has a decedent throw which leaves the opponent still flying in the air. If you play on a stage with a bounce pad. She can get some nice combos from enemies that land on it from he grab. He grab is also nice in that it's a great keep away game. Her grab throws enemies nearly back to the full arena.

Stages:
-You can break the test tubes on the chemical plant stage can be broken (see second match)
-There is a grave yard stage to which the middle of the arena can be broken. This reveals a bounce pad for an dynamic stage change.
-The main stage (see Match One) that my friend and I referred to as "Final Destination of Arms" is an amazing stage. Mainly because of how absurd it can be for any rocking the Massive Purple ARMs I was using.

Now the good stuff (The tech we found):
There is a mechanic in the game where your Arms will power up with an attack with an elemental ability whereby you will gain, fire, electric and some other properties. In the case of fire, you take burn damage, but with electric powered up Arms, you gain stun. Stun is important because it means the opponent loses all control of their character AND their Arms.

The stun+grab combo:
*** The name of the ARM is called Sparky (see 0:07 for Ninjaras loadout. ARM slot 2 (the gloves) are called Sparky)).
(See 2:55)
At this point I get hit with an elemental Stun Punch which leaves me open. The stun time is around 1.5 seconds but you can easily follow up for a combo which means you can grab or even go into your Super Barrage. It really is the best and easiest combo set up we found.
In the video you can see I get hit by this twice in a row from that time stamp into the same stun grab combo (see again at 6:10). It's a nice bread and butter.

Why Sparky is a good ARM and how it works:
If you charge up your left and right ARMs (providing you have Sparky on both hands) you stun that side of the opponent. So if you get hit with a Right Sparky punch, you can move but lose the right side vice versa. However, if you get with BOTH Sparky Punches, you lose access to your whole body leaving you open for even more punishment.

So why Sparky?
With Sparky you only need to hit your opponent once which will stun that side/body them. However, any followup attacks which knock them out of stun.
Trident is the name of another Arm which has electrical properties. At 5:50 I hit my friend with a charged Trident. Since it's a triple hit unlike Sparky which is a single, the first hit of Trident causes the stun (what you want) but then the second and third hit cause a heavy knockdown which means you can't really get a follow up combo. Maybe some Oki but I prefer the grab.

The instant charge:
There is a mechanic in this game where you can gain elemental properties to your punches by holding in Dash or Jump or just not attacking for about 2 seconds. Doing this gives you the advantage of elemental damage if you the land a hit. However, we found that by jumping, air dashing and then holding air dash, upon landing you gain the elemental property immediately upon landing. Once we found this, we implemented this into our games on grab knock down.
Perfect examples here:
Mummy - 1:40 and 4:39
Ninjara - 4:03 and 5:17
You'll see that as soon as we land, we instantly have our elemental attacks again upon landing within the first few frames.

Stage combos
If you knock the opponent into a bounce pad, you can keep punch them for insane combo damage. I mean I almost managed to do do a 75% combo by activating Super then doing one punch into another punch while my friend was flailing on the bounce pads being knocked back into them. I think for characters like Tronne and Ribbon Girl, this can be pretty good due to their throws. It also give characters like the Mummy a bit more mobility. It's a good stage but can be stupid with Supers activated and when you chain your punches. (see first 40 seconds of the first match. My friend and I utilising the stage pads around us)

Super Cancels:
You can cancel into Super at any point from your punch arm. This means from startup, active, and recovery frame. You can cancel into Super on hit. You can also cancel into Super from Grab on hit and from when the animation shows you throwing the opponent.

Cancelling your opponents Super (MASSIVE SALT)!

We also found that by grabbing your opponent who is in Super mode will INSTANTLY lose their Super Mode. There were some matches were we would activate Super, nearly the next few frames get grabbed and then lose our powered up state. If you see your opponent go into Super Mode, GRAB THEM! This mechanic is a huge point to learn.
Oh and yes, you take chip damage from blocking.

There is still so much more and I'm sure I'm wrong on some stuff but you get the idea. Great game. If you're excited about ARMs, you should be. It's a game to look out

Edit: it's 3am so I might clean this post up of errors later on

Malus

SP could be like an arcade mode in fighting games. Or add extra modes like break the targets.

Yeah I'm expecting traditional fighting game SP content like that. Not necessarily like Splatoon where they basically turned it into a 3D platformer (and an excellent one at that).

Still I think a Splatoon guy is working on this alongside the Mario Kart team so maybe he has something similar in mind.

Yeah I'm expecting traditional fighting game SP content like that. Not necessarily like Splatoon where they basically turned it into a 3D platformer (and an excellent one at that).

Still I think a Splatoon guy is working on this alongside the Mario Kart team so maybe he has something similar in mind.

Let's hope the MK team remember a little game called Mario Kart DS, and an awesome mode called Mission Mode

Speely

Banned
Here's our matches with pretty much everything put into play. We played it so much that by the end of the event, we played for 30 minutes nonstop as there weren't many people there or looking to play ARMs in the end.

Here's everything we picked up on(I've put times tamps in here for the video.

Characters
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.
****Prepare to get sick of seeing this character because he is exceptionally good.

He has the worst mobility but has a nice double jump. If you block you also gain health back. It's this characters special block property. (See 5:50)

Mechanic or which we called her, Tronne Bonne -

Ribbon girl -
Has a decedent throw which leaves the opponent still flying in the air. If you play on a stage with a bounce pad. She can get some nice combos from enemies that land on it from he grab. He grab is also nice in that it's a great keep away game. Her grab throws enemies nearly back to the full arena.

Stages:
You can break the test tubes on the chemical plant stage can be broken (see second match)
There is a grave yard stage to which the middle of the arena can be broken. This reveals a bounce pad for an dynamic stage change.
The main stage (see Match One) that my friend and I referred to as "Final Destination of Arms" is an amazing stage. Mainly because of how absurd it can be for any rocking the Massive Purple ARMs I was using.

There is a mechanic in the game where your Arms will power up with an attack with an elemental ability whereby you will gain, fire, electric and some other properties. In the case of fire, you take burn damage, but with electric powered up Arms, you gain stun. Stun is important because it means the opponent is looses all control of their character AND their Arms.

The stun+grab combo:
*** The name of the ARM is called Sparky (see 0:07 for Ninjaras loadout. ARM slot 2 (the gloves) are called Sparky)).
At this point I get hit with an elemental Stun Punch which leaves me open. The stun time is around 1.5 seconds but you can easily follow up for a combo which means you can grab or even go into your Super Barrage. It really is the best and easiest combo set up we found.
In the video you can see I get hit by this twice in a row from that time stamp into the same stun grab combo (see again at 6:10). It's a nice bread and butter.

If you charge up your left and right ARMs (providing you have Sparky on both hands) you stun that side of the opponent. So if you get hit with a Right Sparky punch, you can move but lose the right side and the same and vice versa. However, if you get with BOTH Sparky Punches, you lose access to your whole body leaving you open for even more punishment.

So why Sparky?
With Sparky you only need to hit your opponent once which will stun that side/body them. However, any followup attacks which knock them out of stun.
Trident is the name of another Arm which has electrical properties. At 5:50 I hit my friend with a charged Trident. Since it's a triple hit unlike Sparky which is a single, the first hit of Trident causes the stun (what you want) but then the second and third hit cause a heavy knockdown which means you can't really get a follow up combo. Maybe some Oki but I prefer the grab.

The instant charge:
There is a mechanic in this game where you can gain elemental properties to your punches by holding in Dash or Jump or just not attacking for about 2 seconds. Doing this gives you the advantage of elemental damage if you the land a hit. However, we found that by jumping, air dashing and then holding air dash, upon landing you gain the elemental property immediately upon landing. Once we found this, we implemented this into our games on grab knock down.
Perfect examples here:

Stage combos
If you knock the opponent into a bounce pad, you can keep punch them for insane combo damage. I mean I almost managed to do do a 75% combo by activating Super then doing one punch into another punch while my friend was flailing on the bounce pads being knocked back into them. I think for characters like Tronne and Ribbon Girl, this can be pretty good due to their throws. It also give characters like the Mummy a bit more mobility. It's a good stage but can be stupid with Supers activated and when you chain your punches. (see first 40 seconds of the first match. My friend and I utilising the stage pads around us)

Super Cancels:
You can cancel into Super at any point from your punch arm. This means from startup, active, and recovery frame. You can cancel into Super on hit. You can also cancel into Super from Grab on hit and from when the animation shows you throwing the opponent.

There is still so much more and I'm sure I'm wrong on some stuff but you get the idea. Great game. If you're excited about ARMs, you should be. It's a game to look out

Jesus Christ. Thanks so much for all of this. You just made my night. Fucking HYPE.

Malus

Let's hope the MK team remember a little game called Mario Kart DS, and an awesome mode called Mission Mode

Yep and I'm still a little disappointed in MK8 for not having that as well as screwing up Battle Mode. I'm surprised the series doesn't get hit harder by critics for not expanding much.

Vena

Here's everything we picked up on(I've put times tamps in here for the video.

Characters
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.

Mechanic or which we called her, Tronne Bonne -

Ribbon girl -

Stages:
You can break the test tubes on the chemical plant stage can be broken (see second match)
There is a grave yard stage to which the middle of the arena can be broken. This reveals a bounce pad for an dynamic stage change.
The main stage (see Match One) that my friend and I referred to as "Final Destination of Arms" is an amazing stage. Mainly because of how absurd it can be for any rocking the Massive Purple ARMs I was using.

There is a mechanic in the game where your Arms will power up with an attack with an elemental ability whereby you will gain, fire, electric and some other properties. In the case of fire, you take burn damage, but with electric powered up Arms, you gain stun. Stun is important because it means the opponent is looses all control of their character AND their Arms.

The stun+grab combo:

If you charge up your left and right ARMs (providing you have Sparky on both hands) you stun that side of the opponent. So if you get hit with a Right Sparky punch, you can move but lose the right side and the same and vice versa. However, if you get with BOTH Sparky Punches, you lose access to your whole body leaving you open for even more punishment.

So why Sparky?

The instant charge:
Perfect examples here:

Stage combos

Super Cancels:

Cancelling your opponents Super (MASSIVE SALT)!

We also found that by grabbing your opponent who is in Super mode will INSTANTLY lose their Super Mode. There were some matches were we would activate Super, nearly the next few frames get grabbed and then lose our powered up state. If you see your opponent go into Super Mode, GRAB THEM! This mechanic is a huge point to learn.

vZWLIA5.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
I want an ARMS hoodie

bildschirmfoto2017-014jq23.png

Gosha Rubchinskiy as fuck

For anyone curious, this is Kosuke Yabuki, he was the Director of Mario Kart 7 and 8. He's only around 36. He's a young dev that got his start as a planner for Twilight Princess in 2005.

Happy to see him getting a chance to make a new IP of his own.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You're really missing out if you didn't watch this with Japanese NicoNico comments.

bd

Such a shame I don't think it's going to be a success in Japan.

Dryk

This game is going to live and die by its feature set. The initial reveal came off as very barebones so I stopped caring, but if the game actually has content then it could do well.

random25

Characters
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 and 4:04 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.

Please nerf Greninja Ninjara.

You're really missing out if you didn't watch this with Japanese NicoNico comments.

bd

Such a shame I don't think it's going to be a success in Japan.

Fighting games in general has not been doing well in Japan in quite a while. Maybe Ribbon Girl can do the trick.

hatchx

Banned
This game is going to live and die by its feature set. The initial reveal came off as very barebones so I stopped caring, but if the game actually has content then it could do well.

This. Game looks great, but I hope it's content rich. Simple things like side mini-games and costumes/unlockables/challenges go a long way in a game like this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ribbon Girl wears spats. She wins.

Splatoon looked barebones at first and had a lot of content and got even more afterwards. I wonder if they'll go that route for this.

Can't judge it before it gets a dedicated Direct which it likely will have the closer it gets to its release date in spring.

I think someone said it would be cool if it had a "Break the Targets" mode like the older Smash games had.

I hope there are different modes similar because it would be cool to do a game where you have to hit object and you have to get your twists right when you punch to hit them.

Dryk

Splatoon looked barebones at first and had a lot of content and got even more afterwards. I wonder if they'll go that route for this
That's a good point. It's been an occasionally recurring problem with their initial reveals (see Mario 3D World) but I think more than anything it speaks to an erosion of trust. Personally it can be hard to tell the bare bones tech demos from the fleshed out games at a glance (a trend that sort of started with the Wii series) and somewhere along the way I stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm honestly amazed and baffled by the number of people who it seems like have never seen a demo before this before

Top Bottom