• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Voice Chat Episode 17

Milabrega

Ign said:
Welcome to the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast. Each week your IGN Nintendo Team – made up of Matt Casamassina, Mark Bozon, Craig Harris, and Daemon Hatfield, – get together to talk about all things Nintendo. Covering both Wii and DS, the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast is the only place you'll find reliable voice support and "Nintendo" in the same area, so be sure to tune in each week, and listen in. This week's topics include: Fatal Frame, Cursed Mountain, Wario Land: Shake It, and New International Track & Field. All four of those games star scary people!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/896/896364p1.html

I tried cutting the fat with this summary.

Fatal Frame Wii :
-"Retarded Controls". What should be a better controlling experience on Wii is not, it feels worse. "clunky". Very Tank like.
-Nintendo Theme'd unlockable costumes (ZSS, Luigi)
-Not completely widescreen, it has borders. Frame rate issues.

~Disgaea DS: Positive Impressions

Wario Land Shake It :
-They all believe the programmers were lazy for not including a true widescreen
-It only lags if you shake it really hard
-Positive Impressions

Random stuff from Reader Q & A :

1. They think the apology on some Japanese site marks the death of Disaster
2. If Wii Music was to be scored today, it would get a solid 2. Nintendo has no plans to change it. But it'll still sell amazingly.
3. They confirm Factor 5 is making Kid Icarus. (again) After talking about how Factor 5 said they want to make their Wii game as casual as possible.

That's all for this week. The rest of the podcast was filled with talks about Bozon's Amazon trip, and talking about how Nintendo is and will completely ignore the hardcore.

I'm playing Fatal Frame IV now - it has more than just minor frame rate issues. It never happens during intense gameplay, but it is ridiculously bad when it happens, and it happens a lot.

My major complaint with the control setup is the poor Wii Remote detection for aiming. It is very slow, and there is no strafing. Makes combat a bit frustrating, especially on boss ghosts.

Otherwise, it's pretty fun, and I dig the atmosphere and pacing. I'm on Chapter 4.

If it had good controls it wouldn't be a horror game.

Well, not that I agree with that sentiment, I've just seen it bandied about and posted that for lulz.

pakkit said:
I'm ten minutes in...pretty damn pointless so far.

I thought the whole point of these threads was that only one patient person had listen to the podcast saving the rest of us from having to bother.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
TSA said:
I'm playing Fatal Frame IV now - it has more than just minor frame rate issues. It never happens during intense gameplay, but it is ridiculously bad when it happens, and it happens a lot.

My major complaint with the control setup is the poor Wii Remote detection for aiming. It is very slow, and there is no strafing. Makes combat a bit frustrating, especially on boss ghosts.

Otherwise, it's pretty fun, and I dig the atmosphere and pacing. I'm on Chapter 4.

I really want a full-fledge FFIV Japanese impression thread :(

chicken_ramen said:
I thought the whole point of these threads was that only one patient person had listen to the podcast saving the rest of us from having to bother.

Exactly. Kudos to those who take one for the team with the summaries!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Milabrega said:
Fatal Frame Wii :
-"Retarded Controls". What should be a better controlling experience on Wii is not, it feels worse. "clunky". Very Tank like.
classic RE fans should be ecstatic about that.

Opiate

These are very discouraged people. They had virtually nothing positive to say about Nintendo or games on Nintendo systems, be that today or in the future.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
devildog820 said:
Lots of the Wii stuff is discouraging in these 'casts. I'm glad they build hype for Conduit though.

Which is the exact opposite of pre-E3. :lol

...do they not understand this is a design issue

Look, having a bigger FOV in a 2D platformer can not just be done with a switch. Let's say there's a boss that follows the same kind of pattern a Sonic boss would. Flies to one corner of the screen, flies across, swoops, ends up in the other corner.

If you tried to make this boss widescreen, they'd either have a further way to go or they'd still stop at the same place and the boss fight itself is essentially broken.

So basically they're complaining that the game isn't longer in terms of width for a widescreen mode, which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Is it possible? Probably, if you built the game as widescreen from the getgo. But it's not lazy and it's pretty insulting to the creators to say that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Meh, the Kid Icarus shit has gone on way too long. Just admit it isn't real already. :\

"OH IT'S REAL, I'LL PROVE IT IN 2 WEEKS!!!"
"SORRY I COULDNT PROVE IT DUE TO NDAS AND STUFF"

"OH IT WILL BE AT E3!!! 120% SURE IT WILL BE!"
"OH WAIT IT WASNT LOL DUNNO WHY?!?"

Remember, can't spell Casamassina without ass.

John Harker said:
I really want a full-fledge FFIV Japanese impression thread :(

Every time I see FFIV, I think of Final Fantasy IV. I mean, to be honest, the area you are confined to is NOT that big, so making the "run" just a casual walk while normal walk is a "creep along" pace lengthens the gameplay. Quite frankly, if you were in a haunted house with fucked up shit happening around you, you wouldn't be running around, you'd either be running away or being like "oh shit, what's around the next corner".

The game does not necessary control like the old RE's exactly, it is third-person mechanics with quick-spin, yes, but movement is done more traditionally than the ackward style of RE 0-3. You can even keep out the camera and be in first-person mode, in which the Wii Remote seems to pick up more movement and react to it more quickly. I mean, it's just a slow paced game, but dear lord, it's got intense moments. The game has a unique style and the controls are made to compliment it. It's fair to complain about lack of sensitivity on the Wii Remote at parts, but otherwise I think you're asking for a different type of game if you want faster running and true third-person/first-person mechanics. RE 4 and 5 are just for you, as are the newer Silent Hill games.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Opiate said:
These are very discouraged people. They had virtually nothing positive to say about Nintendo or games on Nintendo systems, be that today or in the future.

schuelma said:
Possibly their worst episode yet.

...they don't exactly have a lot to work with.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
PantherLotus said:
what do they say?

In their last episode they tried to be optimistic about future WiiWare titles, which there are a handful that could be quite good. They bitched a lot after E3, but they've moved past it.

M74

ICallItFutile said:
In their last episode they tried to be optimistic about future WiiWare titles, which there are a handful that could be quite good. They bitched a lot after E3, but they've moved past it.
Can you link me to this podcast? I've never heard of it before.

M74

^ Thanks. :)

I thought this IGN episode was hilarious. It was just one big admission of defeat by the Nintendo team. :lol

Matt himself built up a lot of expectations about E3 by talking up titles he had no idea would be there and is now insisting you trust him still about the exact same titles.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
These threads are getting despressing, I swear if I took Matt and Bozon's every word to heart the only thing I'd be anticipating is another shitty High Voltage Game. :\

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
...do they not understand this is a design issue

Look, having a bigger FOV in a 2D platformer can not just be done with a switch. Let's say there's a boss that follows the same kind of pattern a Sonic boss would. Flies to one corner of the screen, flies across, swoops, ends up in the other corner.

If you tried to make this boss widescreen, they'd either have a further way to go or they'd still stop at the same place and the boss fight itself is essentially broken.

So basically they're complaining that the game isn't longer in terms of width for a widescreen mode, which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Is it possible? Probably, if you built the game as widescreen from the getgo. But it's not lazy and it's pretty insulting to the creators to say that.

They were also making fun of people like you in the podcast for saying this. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bdouble said:
but its true....:/

Regardless there are points for both sides. If Nintendo had wanted SMG-level polish true 16:9 would be there.

I'm wondering how much the current Nintendo negativity is seeping into their impressions of Fatal Frame, because I really don't think the controls are 'retarded' at all. I've noticed a couple of sites do this - criticise games because the controls aren't what they personally want, not considering whether they're actually suited to the game.

As for the frame-rate issues, I've noticed them a few times, and it seems to happen when it's streaming in new areas - it only happens sometimes when you enter a new room, and it usually only lasts a few seconds.

And given that Wii can't do 'true widescreen' anyway, isn't it a bit pointless to criticise a game for being 4:3? Especially given that the life display and mission icons would clutter the gameplay area anyway?

Neo C.

Andrex said:
If Nintendo had wanted SMG-level polish true 16:9 would be there.
True, they could find some solution if they really wanted. Though Wario isn't a big budget title and 4:3 isn't really a deal breaker in my opinion. Do game journalists really expect SMG-level polish in every game?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Neo C. said:
True, they could find some solution if they really wanted. Though Wario isn't a big budget title and 4:3 isn't really a deal breaker in my opinion. Do game journalists really expect SMG-level polish in every game?

Absolutely not, that's not what's being insinuated here. What IGN is saying though is that they're gonna dock some presentation points for it that otherwise it would have gotten. Thus, a game wanting SMG scores should have SMG polish, and if it doesn't achieve that it will be rated as such.

This was kind of hard to put into words.

big_z

-Not completely widescreen, it has borders. Frame rate issues

why the fuck do developers keep doing this? it seems like only nintendo knows how to fill a fucking 16:9 screen.

[Nintex]

big_z said:
why the fuck do developers keep doing this? it seems like only nintendo knows how to fill a fucking 16:9 screen.
Nintendo can't do widescreen, they simply stretch the 640x480 image so the IQ takes a hit. The only "true" widescreen I've seen on GC was done by Amusement Vision/SEGA for F-Zero GX. Pixels are added on the left and right side of the screen, instead of just a scaled image.

Milabrega said:
Wario Land Shake It :

I believe IGN are retarded for not understanding why a 2D platformer wouldn't support two completely different viewpoints.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo can't do widescreen, they simply stretch the 640x480 image so the IQ takes a hit. The only "true" widescreen I've seen on GC was done by Amusement Vision/SEGA for F-Zero GX. Pixels are added on the left and right side of the screen, instead of just a scaled image.

This isn't what happens in the slightest.

Neither the GC nor the Wii can do isomorphic widescreen. This means neither of them can do "true" widescreen. Neither can any of the DVDs you own. F-Zero GX is not isomorphic widescreen, even though it looks like it is to you.

With anamorphic widescreen (what the Wii and GC are doing), the picture is absolutely NOT "stretched". Anamorphic widescreen uses non-square pixels to begin with. It is still only 640x480 pixels, but it occupies the same space as 720x480 pixels because the pixels are wider horizontally than they are tall.

In some cases, particularly in fixed-pixel displays (IE LCDs), anamorphic widescreen will look poor. In non-fixed-pixel displays, it looks fine. If you don't have a problem with your 16:9 DVDs looking "omg faek widescreen stretched bad IQ" then you shouldn't have that problem with your Wii.

Milabrega said:
1. They think the apology on some Japanese site marks the death of Disaster

If they're referring to this apology, then they're really, really, really, really, really, really, really, monumentally dumb.

Their last pod-cast was a flaming bag of "OMG, OMG! Nintendo sucks for E3z! We are still butt hurt from it!" and this one only keeps that theme.

I wish they would stop talking about games when they have no clue as to wth is going on with them. Last I checked they said OM from MMV was in "danger!" too but that game is going to be at TGS and has been confirmed to be coming to the US now. . . now they say the same for DDay for no other reason that Nintendo not giving info about it after it was delayed in Japan.

And yes, Matt played a gooood, nice part of why people were hyped for Nintendo E3 with his Kid Icarus shit.

And he still brings up this fanboy BS about "Nintendo "casual"" vs " Nintendo "hardcore"".

Once again. . . IGN sucks.

Black-Wind said:
Their last pod-cast was a flaming bag of "OMG, OMG! Nintendo sucks for E3z! We are still butt hurt from it!" and this one only keeps that theme.

I wish they would stop talking about games when they have no clue as to wth is going on with them. Last I checked they said OM from MMV was in "danger!" too but that game is going to be at TGS and has been confirmed to be coming to the US now. . . now they say the same for DDay for no other reason that Nintendo not giving info about it after it was delayed in Japan.

And yes, Matt played a gooood, nice part of why people were hyped for Nintendo E3 with his Kid Icarus shit.

And he still brings up this fanboy BS about "Nintendo "casual"" vs " Nintendo "hardcore"".

Once again. . . IGN sucks.
Actually, you are the one sounding butthurt... just sayin'.

Top Bottom