• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: "We Can't Satisfy Core Gamers And We Hope They Enjoy It"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Edit:

I'm sorry. I went overboard with the title and seem to have offended quite a few people. I'll make sure to make my titles much less inflammatory and directly quoted in the future because the title hurt the interesting discussion in the thread in a large way. Once again, my apologies.

---------------

Original Post:

Apparently Nintendo's Denise Kaigler recently had an interview and gave some insight into how Nintendo views the complaints of "core" gamers on the Wii. I can't help but feel they're not really understanding the issue here...

Kotaku said:
Nintendo: We Can't Satisfy You And You Enjoy It
--------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo can't win, can it? Put out games to expand their audience, and the core gamers are upset. Put out core games, and core gamers want more.

According to Nintendo's Denise Kaigler, the moment that core gamers are satisfied, players will become disinterested in the company. So Nintendo cannot satisfy gamers, and gamers should enjoy not getting what they want. It's a "fun" relationship.

"I will give you that hardcore gamers have an insatiable appetite for everything Nintendo," she said, "and we love that! We love that. When we get to a point where core gamers say, "OK, Nintendo, enough! We don't need any more games from you guys...." None of us wants to be put in that position, right?

"We don't want your appetite to ever be satisfied, because when we satisfy you, it's time for us to go [dusts off hands], "OK! Let's go on home now!" And none of us wants to go home. So there's this sort of fun...relationship, I think, that's happening between Nintendo and the hardcore gamer — which we enjoy and hope that the core gamer enjoys it."

Bring on the sadomasochistic carrot dangling! And the Rosie O'Donnell in dominatrix gear pic!!
Source: http://kotaku.com/5251409/nintendo-we-cant-satisfy-you-and-you-enjoy-it

She also talks about several other things relating to Nintendo in the full interview, including Nintendo's opinion on the iPhone and services like OnLive. She also talks about Zelda: Spirit Tracks and how they speak to the market and offer surprises respectively.

Original Interview: http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/The-Full-Interview-Nintendos-Denise-Kaigler.html

That's not really what's being said. Still funny though at the relationship part. Teasing is rarely fun and will only anger people in the end or they'll go where they can get some.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I dunno. I've been pretty damn satisfied. Dunno what you guys are having a problem with.

Yeah, it's super fun. I love waiting to hear about games that should have been announced months ago, not knowing if NoA will even deem them worthy of the North American market. (For God's sake, where is Trace Memory & Layton?!?)

Nintendo has a long way to go before they can even consider that they might be oversaturating the market. A LONG WAY.

This lady's answers are frequently ridiculous.

Chao

C4Lukins said:
OK, Nintendo, enough! We don't need anymore games from you guys...!

My Wii is collecting dust while I play my 360 and PS3 games. Maybe he is right after all, I don't need Nintendo games anymore.
So fuck Nintendo at least for a while.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Maybe they need to speak to the professional doctors at AMI.

R0nn

They know they fucked up the core gamer part of their audience (from a first party perspective) ever since E3 last year, so now they're just making up bullshit lines about a teasing relationship and oversaturation to control the damage.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
b6521

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
R0nn said:
They know they fucked up the core gamer part of their audience (from a first party perspective) ever since E3 last year, so now they're just making up bullshit lines about a teasing relationship and oversaturation to control the damage.
Damage?

pakkit

Banned
Chao said:
My Wii is collecting dust while I play my 360 and PS3 games. Maybe he is right after all, I don't need Nintendo games anymore.
I haven't needed Nintendo games for a while now, since they haven't been putting out a substantial amount of games since well over a year ago. That said, my Wii has been getting plenty of play, since it's being excellently supported by third-parties this year. If you don't want to play the Wii, that's fine and dandy, but its library is absolutely astounding this year.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yeah, well I won't be there when they come crawling back to hardcore gamers next gen when the soccer moms aren't interested in buying a new console.

My back is turned! I won't be there I say!*

*Unless they launch with a zelda or mario game. :D

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I think it's unreasonable how everybody piles the responsibility of pleasing core gamers entirely onto Nintendo's shoulders. Making games for the casual audience is something nobody can do as well as them(partly because of the name brand), if they abandoned casuals who would do it in their place? The PS3 and 360 would both be pretty garbage without third party developers. If anybody is to blame for the Wii's drought it's third parties.

Balb

pakkit said:
I haven't needed Nintendo games for a while now, since they haven't been putting out a substantial amount of games since well over a year ago. That said, my Wii has been getting plenty of play, since it's being excellently supported by third-parties this year. If you don't want to play the Wii, that's fine and dandy, but its library is absolutely astounding this year.

Decent? Maybe. Astounding? Er...

I think it's unreasonable how everybody piles the responsibility of pleasing core gamers entirely onto Nintendo's shoulders. Making games for the casual audience is something nobody can do as well as them(partly because of the name brand), if they abandoned casuals who would do it in their place? The PS3 and 360 would both be pretty garbage without third party developers. If anybody is to blame for the Wii's drought it's them.

It's definitely Nintendo's responsibility to please its own fans

C4Lukins

Chao said:

Well I wouldn't go that far. Well actually I would, but looking at the preliminary EA Active numbers makes it a lost cause. Third parties are about to succeed at ridiculous levels with the Wii.

this is just genius! ok so she's saying there are less core games from Nintendo because they don't want us to be sated. about the worst PR statement i've ever heard :lol

Balb

tetrisgrammaton said:
this is just genius! ok so she's saying there are less core games from Nintendo because they don't want us to be sated. about the worst PR statement i've ever heard :lol

Now that I think about it, that sounds like something Kutaragi would say.

123rl

When they stopped giving me the games I wanted, I turned to Microsoft and Sony. Let them have my money instead of Nintendo. Problem solved. For a company that loves money so much I can't understand how they can be so ignorant

But if people are stupid enough to support Nintendo when they don't provide the games/service that they want - just because it's Nintendo - then it's their own fault? Once I saw Nintendo's new direction I focused on the other formats...easiest decision of my life :D

Parl

tetrisgrammaton said:
At least have the decency to read past the OP's trolling/sensationalism. The quoting takes things out of the context of the interview.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
How many games do you people want? I'd say I get a game on each of the five systems a every few months. (DS counts twice, PSP counts like, half of a system.) That's like twenty fucking games a year.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RevenantKioku said:
How many games do you people want? I'd say I get a game on each of the five systems a every few months. (DS counts twice, PSP counts like, half of a system.) That's like twenty fucking games a year.

I got 20 fucking games in the last four months

just sayin'

addendum: all the games I got for Wii were third-party. I don't need games from no stinking Nintendo.

C4Lukins

RevenantKioku said:

If you have 5 systems, it is not much of a problem. I do not think this particular marketing line applies to those types. Actually I am quite sure that the intent of it is quite specific to a single console, or a console and handheld at best.

RevenantKioku

Danthrax said:
I got 20 fucking games in the last four months

just sayin'

addendum: all the games I got for Wii were third-party. I don't need games from no stinking Nintendo.
Oh, I've gotten (checks) fourty-four in the past month. But I also play a lot of stuff going back to Famicom.
I'm just saying there's plenty out there to keep a gamer satisfied. I just don't see the issue.

C4Lukins said:
If you have 5 systems, it is not much of a problem. I do not think this particular marketing line applies to those types. Actually I am quite sure that the intent of it is quite specific to a single console, or a console and handheld at best.
Oh, I realize that. But anyone going "GODDAMMIT I NEED GAMES TO BUY" obviously has some money to spend. I'm more mocking the people of GAF, really.

iplay5150

Honestly, I'm kinda glad that Nintendo isn't focusing on my tastes as a "hardcore" gamer. My PS3 and 360 already make me spend more money on games than I can reasonably afford. I'll gladly buy my one Wii game per year. Thanks for saving me money, Nintendo...

OnPoint

JetSetRadio said:
This beats every single sony PR statement of the last 10 years.

:lol :lol

Overstate much? 4D alone tops this. Wasn't there also that bit about how the PS3 would output 1080p to two TVs at the same time or something? Bah.

It's a pretty awful bit of PR, but whatever. Klonoa, MadWorld, House of the Dead... there's plenty going on right now for hungry hardcore Wii owners. You could even pick up Excitebots, people -- a Nintendo title, then wash it down with Punchout!! E3 is right there... patience.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RevenantKioku said:
Oh, I've gotten (checks) fourty-four in the past month. But I also play a lot of stuff going back to Famicom.
I'm just saying there's plenty out there to keep a gamer satisfied. I just don't see the issue.

44, holy crap.

but yeah, I don't see the issue either. people who complain about nothing to buy on the Wii aren't looking hard enough or have tastes that are too narrow.

Xellos

Well, she's right when she says the hardcore are insatiable. Nintendo has released a lot of games for both DS and Wii this gen. Then they go one Christmas without a big "core" title and everybody complains, ignores all third party games, and whines about their dusty Wii.

Yes Boss!

Just got my sixtieth Wii game yesterday with Jungle Beat. I'm as hardcore as it gets and I'm totally satisfied. Also, Punch Out!!

test_account

XP-39C²
Zek said:
I think it's unreasonable how everybody piles the responsibility of pleasing core gamers entirely onto Nintendo's shoulders. Making games for the casual audience is something nobody can do as well as them(partly because of the name brand), if they abandoned casuals who would do it in their place? The PS3 and 360 would both be pretty garbage without third party developers. If anybody is to blame for the Wii's drought it's third parties.
Garbage in what way?

scitek

You people that let your systems collect dust are what astounds me. Don't you ever clean? That's bad for them, you know.

I play my Wii more than my 360 or PS3. The HD lineups so far this year have been pretty lackluster, if you ask me. I don't know what games are keeping you guys so occupied, nor do I see many on the horizon to compare with the experiences that Motion Plus could bring to the table.

RevenantKioku

MrHicks said:
Mind you, a good 30 of them cost me about $40 total. Famicom packs of random games can be found on the cheap in Japan. Got a lot of cool stuff, too! Ninja Gaiden, Elevator Action, Spelunker and so on. Also random pickings of stuff out of bargain bins mostly.

Tiktaalik

At first thought it seems like she's right that hardcore gamers are insatiable, but then again, you don't hear people complain about Capcom in the same way that people complain about Nintendo, so hmm what's the problem here?

OnPoint

Tiktaalik said:
At first thought it seems like she's right that hardcore gamers are insatiable, but then again, you don't hear people complain about Capcom in the same way that people complain about Nintendo, so hmm what's the problem here?

It's hard to complain about them when they release a new Castlevania title every 2 years.

test_account

XP-39C²
OnPoint said:
Overstate much? 4D alone tops this. Wasn't there also that bit about how the PS3 would output 1080p to two TVs at the same time or something? Bah.
What was the 4D talk regarding the PS3 actually about?

Um, hasn't it come to the point where the people who lusted for more core games from Nintendo have moved on to the other consoles that will serve their lust, and those who are content with what Nintendo are bringing out are perfectly fine with everything?

Top Bottom