• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Wi-Fi network adapter is announced ( what ? )

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If it works with the 360, having this thing in my entertainment center would sure look better than the WRT54GS I currently have up there that I converted to a wireless receiver.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Jaruru said:
ok, it doesn't require a PC (or m$ Windows).

Ahh. So, it's not really a router as it is a modem that connect right into Nintendo's network.

pswii60 said:
All UK ISPs give you a fully-fleged wireless router for free. One would assume that other countries' ISPs do the same.

So, what exactly, is the point of this? There are tons of brands of routers out there if you really need one. And they don't need to look Nintendo-fied as they're normallly hidden.

They don't. Here they just give you a single connection cable modem or DSL modem that can't act as wireless access points. One exception to this would be Verizon's FiOS fiber service... they do provide a router.

As for why Nintendo would do this, a lot of their new target audience might not be tech-savvy enough to set up their own wireless network at home. So they release this officially licensed device that will work without them having to configure anything.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Jaruru said:
yea, that's what I get from the diagram at http://wifi.nintendo.co.jp/wap/index.html
an $20 extra on top of the Nintendo adaptor, for family without computer/wifi or Mac only users? hmmm this makes some sense, but not really needed maybe.

I can't read Japanese. But from the diagram it does show it being hooked up to a network (modem and PC).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
pswii60 said:
All UK ISPs give you a fully-fleged wireless router for free. One would assume that other countries' ISPs do the same.

So, what exactly, is the point of this? There are tons of brands of routers out there if you really need one. And they don't need to look Nintendo-fied as they're normallly hidden.
Here in the US, for a lot of ISPs, you ether get your own and set it up, or pay $5-$10 a month forever to have the ISP set it up. Though companies are starting to stop that shit, with a few building Wifi into the roughter for free.

if you don't already have a router of any kind and want to get online with your Wii wirelessly, this will be useful to you.

if you only have a wired router and it is impractical for you to run a cable to your wii (and use the lan dongle), that is one reason to use the bridge functionality.

you plug this into your router, set it to bridge, and your wii will get online wirelessly. simple enough.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is uhh.... This is interesting. I get what its for, but it doesn't really make sense.

The least Nintendo could have done was put a credit card swipe reader on the side since the thing is little more than wii shopping channel bridge. Nintendo's online support beyond that has been rather abysmal, Mario Kart is still the best implementation.

Maybe their market research on the issue was telling them something that is difficult for the enthusiest gamer to see? like a lot of single internet connection households with no router and with no nearby internet connection (it being in "the den" or the "computer room" rather than the living room).

Jaruru said:
ok, it doesn't require a PC (or m$ Windows).
He means the adapter that lets you plug an ethernet cable into the Wii, not the PC USB dongle. In which case... I guess this has the advantage of letting DS in on the action, as well as the regular wifi advantage of not needing a cable in an inconvenient location.
_RT_ said:
Why not at least make it the same shape as the Wii?
wtf nintendo.

dum.
Looks pretty close to me. What else are you expecting: a disc slot and matching gray base?

DavidDayton said:
They can't "update the DS firmware" to support new encryptions.

a) Most DS wifi libraries are locked into the code of each DS game.
b) There are (quite possibly) hardware issues as well.

I'm not ready to rule out the possibility that individual games could have WPA support, as I get the impression that the entire wifi net code is encoded in each game binary, as opposed to being part of "the system".
yep, the wifi libraries are in the game and also, on the hardware side, the ds firmware is partially write protected (hence people needing to short SL1 on the motherboard to flash their DS with the FlashMe)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
herod said:
if it's like the USB adapter, it only allows connection to Nintendo's own servers.
are you insane?

ed: unless you meant 'nintendo's own systems', in which case disregard my question.

DP27_BlueOcean_HalfMoonBay.jpg

?

dyls

Three pages for this? really? Complaining about Nintendo must be like morning coffee for some of you. Seriously, who the fuck cares?

Redd

Why would someone buy this when they could just get a Wireless router? Are new Wii owners that confused about Wireless gaming?

Edwood said:
LOL, Nintendo really only makes bank on their hardware, so they have to make up new shit to sell.

...Mmmhmm.

Makes sense. Iwata has always said that one of the biggest problems is that consumers either don't know how to take their console online or don't have the ability to do so. So if their household doesn't have a wireless router, this will provide them with that.

dyls

SabinFigaro said:
Had to be done (and not directed at you, good sir).

I just wish my avatar didn't look so terrible when blown up. I should really shrink the source image but I'm too lazy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is kinda weird. I don't see the point, but whatever.

Oh, and Nintendo?

HARD DRIVE.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I believe the main point, and the reason this was announced in Japan is that a lot of ISPs here provide routers, and a lot of them don't have wifi. This is for people who don't wanna deal with researching which modems are compatible and all that bullshit.

_RT_

JoshuaJSlone said:
He means the adapter that lets you plug an ethernet cable into the Wii, not the PC USB dongle. In which case... I guess this has the advantage of letting DS in on the action, as well as the regular wifi advantage of not needing a cable in an inconvenient location.

Looks pretty close to me. What else are you expecting: a disc slot and matching gray base?

Disc slot? Funny.

If the Wii sat there without the base, they would match. Both vertical and square. But most people use the base and as a result, the Wii sits at an angle. At least make the router match. With a base or without. I could care less.

While I don't need it and in the end could really care less, I'm just surprised Nintendo would brand something that doesn't seem to complement the design of the Wii.

And for those that don't understand the above, behold my paint skills.
33ykqig.jpg

Ranger X

Well, i use the dongle right now for my Wii and it's slow and unreliable.

Now would this thing be better? I suppose so.

_RT_ said:
Disc slot? Funny.

If the Wii sat there without the base, they would match. Both vertical and square. But most people use the base and as a result, the Wii sits at an angle. At least make the router match. With a base or without. I could care less.

While I don't need it and in the end could really care less, I'm just surprised Nintendo would brand something that doesn't seem to complement the design of the Wii.

33ykqig.jpg

You could just shim it up with all the SD cards needed for storage.

pulga

Banned
Whiny bitches. When will you understand the world doesnt revolve around your incessant crying??

Somnid

Jokeropia said:
Probably a replacement for the discontinued Wi-Fi USB Connector.

Exactly. This seems to be there to fix Nintendo's online connection issues. The USB adaptor was plagued with issues and finally discontinued. A router is a much more natural way to solve the problem without the wires of a LAN adaptor. Nintendo could just tell people to plug it into the cable/DSL modem and everything should work. Since the Wii has the Opera browser you could even administer it straight through the Wii. Hopefully the software will be better than the USB adaptor.

It's another non-gamer product. Nintendo wants more people online, not a greater density of the people who are already online.

Why do people ask for the HDD? I don't need to spend money on extra space. I already have an SD Card.

The SD card slot would work fine if they wanted it to. And perhaps all it would take is a firmware update. No additional purchase necessary for many of us.

And if they came out with a proprietary HDD then people would bitch endlessly that it wasn't nearly as cheap as bare bones drives from Newegg (which it wouldn't be).

Ranger X

Ok if i don't have a wireless network and only use a router already to plug in my PS3, PC, etc.

This means i'll need to plug that Nintendo router into my router? Is it problematic to have 2 routers in series?

Somnid

Ranger X said:
Ok if i don't have a wireless network and only use a router already to plug in my PS3, PC, etc.

This means i'll need to plug that Nintendo router into my router? Is it problematic to have 2 routers in series?

Should work just fine.

CTLance

Ranger X said:
Most of the internet is nothing more than a bunch of interconnected routers and a handful of PCs/Servers. It should be perfectly fine to daisychain the Nintendo Router and your normal router, as long as they're correctly configured.

Haunted

cyclone87 said:
Ummm Nintendo, surely the storage issue is more demanding.
Talking about the number of people affected? Probably not. Remember, this is for Japan.

sp0rsk said:
I believe the main point, and the reason this was announced in Japan is that a lot of ISPs here provide routers, and a lot of them don't have wifi. This is for people who don't wanna deal with researching which modems are compatible and all that bullshit.

Somnid said:
Exactly. This seems to be there to fix Nintendo's online connection issues. The USB adaptor was plagued with issues and finally discontinued.

Really? I haven't had any problems with it.

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
comedy bomb said:
You could just shim it up with all the SD cards needed for storage.

Please don't give them any ideas - they'll release a matching base as an add-on accessory for the thing for matching Wii and Mini-Wii-Router.

This is for people who buy a Wii and don't really know much about connecting to the internet. People who would say: "wutz a router morans?" and Nintendo says: "This is one." (usually followed by ca-ching)

nli10

_RT_ said:
Disc slot? Funny.

33ykqig.jpg

How many people will actually put them side by side, when the whole point is that it's a wireless option? You are supposed to pop the new box (Wiidem? Wiiter?) by your internet or computer and then broadcast to the Wii.
If the Wii and internet are next to each other already then the USB converter is the way to go.

And if this isn't for the hardcore then how come every 360 owner needs one of these?

I'm in the UK so like said above we all have free wireless routers, (even my parents & grandparents do) which is why the 360 being the only non wireless console out of the box seems just insane to me.

I don't use the base or have my consoles sitting vertically, so the lack of being at an angle doesn't bug me. This gives the user a chance to turn their Wii into a ziggurat.

Top Bottom