• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Wi-Fi network adapter is announced ( what ? )

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Chinner said:
nintendos current attitude to 'core' gamers: why fucking bother?
funny, this has nothing to do with core gamers and more to do with not-tech-savvy people. seriously, you think you're the only kind of gamer?

Chinner

Banned
doomed1 said:
funny, this has nothing to do with core gamers and more to do with not-tech-savvy people. seriously, you think you're the only kind of gamer?
yes, i am saying what you are hinting at.

So stupid, this should've had a built in HDD. That way even Casual/Non Gamers would end up buying it, which would greatly improve the penetration rate of a HDD.

What a wasted opportunity :(

Vorador

Banned
And the fridge??

This is retarded >_< i bet my ass it's only compatible with Wii and DS, and blocks everything else.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Of course it is useless for most of us here on GAF. Assuming this decision doesn't make any sense though is forgetting that it's

Nash said:
Not that redundant for people who just want to get their Wii online, and want to buy something they KNOW will work without any set-up hassles. Both Wii and DS can be fussy about their wireless routers, like other such devices.

Nash said:
Not that redundant for people who just want to get their Wii online, and want to buy something they KNOW will work without any set-up hassles. Both Wii and DS can be fussy about their wireless routers, like other such devices.

Nash said:

Nash said:

herod said:
what would be the point of adding a bridge to a product with built-in wifi ? :)

Exactly my point! The adapter clearly has a bridge mode, but no Nintendo product requires a bridge therefore I doubt in Bridge mode its been set to only allow access to Nintendo servers

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Going to what I said earlier, I still find it questionable: why make the thing only available via order? It does not seem that consumer-friendly to me.

So this thing should have regular 802.11 support for DS wi-fi? Also, can it do 108mb 802.11g?

Also, why does this not contain 32GB of SSD storage?

Wollan said:
Wouldn't this have been a good opportunity to offer network storage? *sigh*
Nuclear Muffin said:
So stupid, this should've had a built in HDD.
Mr. Pointy said:
Also, why does this not contain 32GB of SSD storage?
I want storage as much as the next person, but it's a bit non sequitur in this discussion. Why build storage into this? It seems to be a niche device for a small audience, like the USB ethernet dongle before it. Why would I or the other millions who already connect fine want our additional storage chained to another router? It's those of us who are already connected who need the additional space for the stuff we're already downloading.

herod

mr_bishiuk said:
Exactly my point! The adapter clearly has a bridge mode, but no Nintendo product requires a bridge therefore I doubt in Bridge mode its been set to only allow access to Nintendo servers

no, some router connections require a bridge if they're not doing the bridging themselves.

i.e. when they're not doing NAT, but allowing the connected devices full Internet addresses.

qxl4pt.gif

I feel is the perfect response to this announcement. I am very very confused.

Threi

notag
That doesn't even make sense. Why is this needed?

Anyways can it work in Wireless bridge mode? It would be great for 360 users.

@ Thread this still makes no fucking sense, but If it is indeed aimed directly at casual gamers i ask you this: Wouldn't this be an attempt to move some of those "casual gamers" upstream? Convert them into those same people (hardcore gamers) who buy useless DLC? How can this be seen as further proof that Nintendo doesn't care about that market?

I bet if they released a HDD it would be spun into "Nintendo doesn't care about teh core!!!1111" as well.

CTLance

Don't need, don't want, but I see how this could make them a few bucks on the side while giving the odd handful of non-techsavvy/unlucky people what they need.

*sigh* Why couldn't this have been the storage solution announcement instead, Nintendo....? Why?
Router said:
''One day my son, this kingdom will be yours.''
The fact that the guy with "Router" as his nick posted this makes it all the more delicious. Keep at it, son! Thumbs up. :lol

DustoMan

Banned
So is this Nintendo's answer to not updating the DS firmware and putting WPA encryption in it? I hate having to run two routers just because the DS only supports POS-WAP encryption.

robochimp

SlaughterX said:
^It's a wireless bridge/router... wait a sec, how can it be both?

I wonder if this will be released in the US... and for how much. If it's $50 or so I can see a lot of peopel buying this for their 360s... :lol

There are plenty of products that do this out of the box primarily travel/pocket routers. You can buy them for less than 50 dollars. Its what I use for my non wifi consoles

Haunted

emot-psyduck.gif

And here I thought I was wirelessly online with my Wii since Day 1.

FightyF said:
Heh, that's exactly how the HDD should look like, IMO.
Exactly my thoughts when I saw the pic. Relatively small, similar design, unobtrusive.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DustoMan said:
So is this Nintendo's answer to not updating the DS firmware and putting WPA encryption in it? I hate having to run two routers just because the DS only supports POS-WAP encryption.

They can't "update the DS firmware" to support new encryptions.

a) Most DS wifi libraries are locked into the code of each DS game.
b) There are (quite possibly) hardware issues as well.

I'm not ready to rule out the possibility that individual games could have WPA support, as I get the impression that the entire wifi net code is encoded in each game binary, as opposed to being part of "the system".

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Threi said:
That doesn't even make sense. Why is this needed?

Anyways can it work in Wireless bridge mode? It would be great for 360 users.

@ Thread this still makes no fucking sense, but If it is indeed aimed directly at casual gamers i ask you this: Wouldn't this be an attempt to move some of those "casual gamers" upstream? Convert them into those same people (hardcore gamers) who buy useless DLC? How can this be seen as further proof that Nintendo doesn't care about that market?

I bet if they released a HDD it would be spun into "Nintendo doesn't care about teh core!!!1111" as well.

I don't know if that counts as upstreaming, but it sure counts as a means to lower the barrier of entry of online. Which is why I find it odd that it is available via order only.

Kilrogg said:
I don't know if that counts as upstreaming, but it sure counts as a means to lower the barrier of entry of online. Which is why I find it odd that it is available via order only.

It will probably will bundled by that japanese telecom that nintendo is friends with

Redd

Hmmm don't think I need this since my Wii rarely drops when I'm connected online anyway. What's the point of this thing.

DustoMan

Banned
DavidDayton said:
They can't "update the DS firmware" to support new encryptions.

a) Most DS wifi libraries are locked into the code of each DS game.
b) There are (quite possibly) hardware issues as well.

I'm not ready to rule out the possibility that individual games could have WPA support, as I get the impression that the entire wifi net code is encoded in each game binary, as opposed to being part of "the system".

Oh man... at first my reaction was, "Who the hell engineers something like that?" Then I realized, "Oh ya... Nintendo does."

pswii60

All UK ISPs give you a fully-fleged wireless router for free. One would assume that other countries' ISPs do the same.

So, what exactly, is the point of this? There are tons of brands of routers out there if you really need one. And they don't need to look Nintendo-fied as they're normallly hidden.

Jaruru

is it from Nintendo? I don't get it... :s

Edit: ok, it's from Nintendo. is it just a router? ... I still don't get it

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What advantage would this have over Nintendo's own official USB Lan Adapter?

Top Bottom