• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo will not host a Nintendo Direct in June (Update in OP)

mortal

Gold Member
Maybe it's a cultural thing like they can't come together and actually organize this thing unless it's in person, with the same applying to game development in some level.
I'm not sure, maybe someone living in Japan can better comment on this. I don't think the Wuhan virus has hit Japan all that hard as they have relatively low amount of reported cases, assuming they're reporting their cases accurately. There's been a state of emergency declared there, but it's not enforced quarantine like in western countries.

Who knows, maybe they really need more time for developing more titles after all. Although it seems Breath of the Wild 2 won't be releasing this year.

Who knows, maybe they really need more time for developing more titles after all. Although it seems Breath of the Wild 2 won't be releasing this year.

That's the thing, if that was the issue they could just have announcements without a release date. Like announce Metroid Prime Trilogy coming out "fall 2020", "early 2021", stuff like that. Whatever happened that caused that Direct to be effectively cancelled, it probably caught them off guard as well. Nintendo has a lot of issue, but you don't see them in scramble mode a lot.

Which, if we're being honest, was shit. Like, the excuse after the Mini was "you shouldn't expect anything from a Mini!" and now the narrative is "but they just did a Mini!"

There hasn't been anything of note out of Nintendo since, what... October? I remember when we thought that Nintendo converging their resources to focus on Switch instead of two separate systems would alleviate the droughts, but this might genuinely be the worst they've ever been in that regard.

well yeah, that mini was god awful. But the former poster is right in regards to saying "i wouldn't expect a direct in May". But jesus, they haven't shown anything worthwhile since...yes October. They must be sitting on some news, as covid is more of a recent occurance. We will just have to be very patient for a massive dump of games, i suppose.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
well yeah, that mini was god awful. But the former poster is right in regards to saying "i wouldn't expect a direct in May". But jesus, they haven't shown anything worthwhile since...yes October. They must be sitting on some news, as covid is more of a recent occurance. We will just have to be very patient for a massive dump of games, i suppose.

Yeah, and the thing with COVID is, it's slowed down everyone in the industry. Games are getting delayed, hardware is at risk... But that's it. It has not resulted in a wholesale cessation of business. I don't know what's *actually* going on with Nintendo, but something's fundamentally broken.

Thurible

Yeah. If they’re ready then Nintendo told them to do their announcements individually if they want
Well thats a bummer (but understandable). I hope when things start looking up again they can do a sort of belated conference after the normal e3 timeframe, personally.

93xfan

Banned
I'm a Nintendo shill so feel free to disregard me and maybe it's my corporation defense logic kicking in, but I honestly think this is due to them being a japanese company. I know Sony is technically japanese as well, but that's in name only, in reality that's a western company. Maybe it's a cultural thing like they can't come together and actually organize this thing unless it's in person, with the same applying to game development in some level.

They just released one of their best selling titles of all time, one that's on the way to outselling fucking Mario Kart 8. This is prime time to strike it while it's hot and this doesn't feel like Nintendo getting complacent. Nintendo getting complacent would be Kirby Star Allies 2 for holiday title. This feels like something went legit wrong.

My theory is that they don’t want to announce any system sellers while they are having Switch production problems.

AMSCD

Okay, so I finally had 5 minutes to read that Venture beat while not attending/hosting meetings. OMG... I found the quoted to be incredibly informative about Nintendo, Japan, and the Japanese market...

I'm beginning to really understand why they don't place a high priority on the net features. Their executives are typically senior members of the company who've been around for decades, and these are the dudes who most likely don't even have internet at home. I'm sure the gamers in Japan have some of the fastest internet connections, but this article leads me to believe that a lot of homes over there don't make internet a priority to have (or may even have it, but only the kids use it). Just fascinating.

The rest of the article doesn't lean too heavily on the notion that Nintendo won't have games ready for later this year, and it also doesn't rule out that Nintendo will find a way to make a high quality Direct video without having to go to a studio. Seems like there's still a lot up in the air.
My Japanese girlfriend confirms this. She says that in Japan lots of people don't have home computers and the older generation doesn't use the internet. I was really surprised to learn this.

Barakov

Gold Member
Metroid Prime 4, Breath of the Wild 2, Mario's 35th anniversary collection...:messenger_crying:

CdNq5FZ.gif

Zannegan

Honestly, given that we're still a month out, there's no excuse for them not to do anything around that time frame. It's just bad business not to get in on the hype, especially when people have more time at home and are looking for distractions.

Even a third-party centric, Nindies-like show would have been better than nothing. Instead, they're telling people to just show their games on their own? If the rumors are correct, then they are seriously dropping the ball, and leaving some of the smaller 3rd parties out to dry as well. As if they'd have access to a platform half as big as a Direct. If the little guys don't announce anything, they miss the wave. If they do just release their trailers on their own, they'll get lost in the noise.

My theory is that they don’t want to announce any system sellers while they are having Switch production problems.
That's an interesting take, but most of these games wouldn't be released until months later when the supply problems should be ironed out. Even by June supplies should be more or less sorted. It's a hype event, they should be doing something.

This is one of those instances of Nintendo being Nintendo for the worse. I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
That's an interesting take, but most of these games wouldn't be released until months later when the supply problems should be ironed out. Even by June supplies should be more or less sorted. It's a hype event, they should be doing something.

This is one of those instances of Nintendo being Nintendo for the worse. I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

To go along with that, I think these hype events sell consoles, not necessarily just the release of the game. If they get people hyped now, and people can’t buy the console, people’s hype may deflate a bit by the time it’s back in stock.

Also, people may be more likely to buy already released Nintendo games during this time if they don’t know there’s a ton to look forward to. All those people who bought a console for Animal Crossing and are looking for something else to play may look into some older games and then may also buy whatever Nintendo has coming up as well, rather than just getting hyped and distracted for what’s coming up.

It’s late, so don’t know if that made sense.

Caffeine

still kinda strange since nintendo was the first to adopt digital show, and i know they have been sitting on announcements for over a year now.

Top Bottom