• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo will reportedly repair Joy-Con Drift for Free

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Fixing it is a temporary fix. They need to make it future proof especially for all the new people getting the portable only version.

Jubenhimer

Fixing it is a temporary fix. They need to make it future proof especially for all the new people getting the portable only version.
Its a step-by-step process. A similar thing happened with the L Joy-Con Wireless problems durring launch. A generic PR respone was put out to buy them some time until they could find a solution. And by the end of the year, the issue was largely resolved.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Its a step-by-step process. A similar thing happened with the L Joy-Con Wireless problems durring launch. A generic PR respone was put out to buy them some time until they could find a solution. And by the end of the year, the issue was largely resolved.
Components wear out quickly due to the way the joycon was designed. These components are just replaced. This is in no way is a permanent fix.

Jubenhimer

Components wear out quickly due to the way the joycon was designed. These components are just replaced. This is in no way is a permanent fix.

Of course it isn't. But this should hopefully lead to an internal redesign of the Joy-Con analog stick in the near future. But free repairs are the best they can do in the meantime.

Cynn

Of course it isn't. But this should hopefully lead to an internal redesign of the Joy-Con analog stick in the near future. But free repairs are the best they can do in the meantime.
These repairs aren’t free for them so maybe they’ll redesign it to save some cash. The true motivator.

Jubenhimer

These repairs aren’t free for them so maybe they’ll redesign it to save some cash. The true motivator.

Yes. Sooner or later they'll need to upgrade the internal design as it'll be too expensive to keep temporarily fixing Joy-Cons for free. But a process like that could take months, so this is the best they can do in the meantime.

Codes 208

Which would likely just be them replacing the analogs with more to-be faulty analogs. For the time it takes to ship, i think id rather just fix it myself.

Shmunter

Xbox 360 controllers had drift after awhile. I often wondered why not simply increase the dead zone in software.

Jubenhimer

Xbox 360 controllers had drift after awhile. I often wondered why not simply increase the dead zone in software.

It's a fundemental design flaw with the Joy-Con hardware. Metal contacts are used as the base of the analog stick, and intense use of them will eventually cause wear and strain on the contact, which is what causes the drifting. The only way to fix it, is to either use a different base for the stick, or find some way around the issue with another design part.

So wear out your joy cons this year or next year to get them upgraded when they find a solution before they abandon the device in the future. Gotcha.

Lanrutcon

Happened to my nephew's Switch. Bought new Joycons for him a month or two ago.

Those things are really, really flimsy.

That's so fucking great. Just yesterday I killed my joycon trying to fix it myself (My sausage fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be 20 years ago)

Gifmaker

That's some great news, I hope this applies worldwide. After over two years, I experienced Joy Con drifting recently for the first time and it's pretty annoying, though I was able to reduce the problem by using the calibration tool. But that's nowhere near a fix.

iconmaster

Banned
I submitted a ticket for two different Joy-Con L halves today. I tried calling the support line, but call volume is so heavy (wonder why) the recording just tells you to call back later! Used the website instead. We'll see what happens.

This is really going to be an issue for longevity of the system. Once Switch nears EOL and Joy-Cons (hopefully) plummet in price, I may pick up a few extra pairs.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I sent my left one in on the 16th of August because of drift so I called this morning to check on it’s progress. They told me that they getting hit with these so hard that the wait time could be a couple of weeks. Mine was sent to a service center in New York. What have your wait times been on this repair?

iconmaster

Banned
They told me that they getting hit with these so hard that the wait time could be a couple of weeks. Mine was sent to a service center in New York. What have your wait times been on this repair?

Nintendo Support guy just told me... wait for it...

3 to 7 weeks

I hope that's waaay overestimated.

• Triggered
Reactions: 888

Shouta

3 to 7 weeks

That probably includes shipping to and from the facility too.

It's not a surprise though. Nintendo probably only has one repair facility on each of the coasts. So considering the number of folks asking for repairs, there has to be a huge back up in packages waiting to be worked on.

Kamina

Golden Boy
My blue(left) joycon had the issue, so i looked up solutions and found a video from Nintendo Life where they suggest to use contact cleaner. So i ordered one for a few bucks, applied it though lifting the protective skin under the stick and let it dry.
The problem is completely gone now.

Vawn

Banned
My blue(left) joycon had the issue, so i looked up solutions and found a video from Nintendo Life where they suggest to use contact cleaner. So i ordered one for a few bucks, applied it though lifting the protective skin under the stick and let it dry.

It will be back.

tkscz

3 to 7 weeks

Took about two to three weeks to get mine back.

They let me know that they are receiving a CRAZY amount of joy-cons and have to go through each one to test them, then actually repair them (they send you back paper work telling you what they did to repair it) and then send them back. Takes about a week to get it back after they ship it via UPS ground. Mine work perfectly again but I sent in 3 of the fuckers, so I did NOT help move that line at all.

But yeah, they are getting so many of them that once they receive them, they put your repair on hold until they get to yours. Mine was put on hold for a week after they got the package. I worked remote IT for G.E. and had to do the same thing when I get ten laptops in to repair, takes a while for parts to come in and then I get a line of laptops to fix so once I knew EVERYONE was taking advantage of this, I knew not to expect it back in less than three weeks

Kamina

Golden Boy
Everything I've heard about doing that is that it's a temporary fix and eventually won't work.
We’ll see. It was fine for 2.5 years and only started now, despite heavy usage.
In worst case i will buy new Joycons. But as long as it works this way i am happy

iconmaster

Banned
How so?
I got more contact cleaner, so i can spray the thing once a week until Switch Pro comes out.

Outside of Nintendo, no one really knows what's going wrong; but one theory (based on teardowns of the stick component itself) is that contacts are being ground down by use over time. What you're getting rid of using compressed air or contact cleaner are the shavings from these contacts. That works, but at what point does the contact get worn down to nothing?

That's just the theory, though.

Mattyp

Gold Member
If they are (now) forced to fix them, then of course they'll be forced to go in and make changes at a manufacturing level to improve the design... hopefully.

It’s a RRoD level fix, the hardware has a fault and they can’t simply roll over new hardware over night all they can do is continue to repair the broken units until new models are available to replace them with.

Sadly shit happens sometimes with hardware after long term usage not detected in testing, thankfully they’ve finally decided to fix the issues I guess.

Esppiral

My left joycon started drifting a couple of weeks ago but since Nintendo seems to not care about Europeans...

iconmaster

Banned
Hey, this HORI D-pad Joy-Con (no wireless, has to be connected to the Switch) is down to $15 -- $10 off. I just picked one up to tide me over while Nintendo fixes both my left Joy-Cons.

71uBdMxc0UL._AC_SX430_.jpg

I have two controllers for docked mode, but I really prefer handheld.

iconmaster

Banned

3 to 7 weeks

I want Switch owners to rest easy. It took a few days for the Joy-Cons to get to Nintendo, but they turned them around immediately (repaired, I hope/assume). I guess it'll probably come to two weeks all told.

Quasicat

I want Switch owners to rest easy. It took a few days for the Joy-Cons to get to Nintendo, but they turned them around immediately (repaired, I hope/assume). I guess it'll probably come to two weeks all told.

Mine was sent to the New York repair place. It’s been three weeks and they just sent me an email that it was received. Friday will be one month since UPS says it was received. I really want them back so I can play Zelda, I never realized how much I played the Switch in handheld mode.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Mine was sent to the New York repair place. It’s been three weeks and they just sent me an email that it was received. Friday will be one month since UPS says it was received. I really want them back so I can play Zelda, I never realized how much I played the Switch in handheld mode.

Oof, sorry to hear that. Mileage may vary, apparently.

Vitacat

My Switch is from launch day and I have all the usual crap with my Joycon.

But, not sure I want the hassle of sending it in. Meh.

Can I assume that new ones in stores now are problem-free?

iconmaster

Banned
Can I assume that new ones in stores now are problem-free?

I wouldn’t assume that yet. Analog sticks with newer model numbers and very subtle differences have been showing up, but it hasn’t been long enough to be able to say whether those will make any difference (or are even meant to).

Kamina

Golden Boy
Almost two weeks now. Works fine so far.

Quasicat

Sent it in on August 16th and just got an email to expect it back tomorrow. I’m so excited, just in time for Link’s Awakening!

Top Bottom